User Tag List

Page 33 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 8649

Thread: General gaming discussion

leedsrevolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Better than Horizon?
    It's so much better than horizon and I have both. Like, so much better. No competition.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want Zelda now

Might have to get a Wii U when I get some money.

leedsrevolution
    Oh and I'm not slagging off horizon cos that is good.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ. Yakuza 0 took forever to end. "Well, guess we need a cutscene for every character arc. Sit tight for 90 minutes." It's MGS4's wedding all over again. Minus a wedding. With an Animal House mid-credits roll. Mad bastards.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    22 hours played in 3 days on Zelda. Game is insanely good. The reviews may seem like hyperbole but holy shit they're right.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost convincing me to buy a Switch, just for that as well as whatever Mario games get churned out.

My only reservation regarding Zelda is weapon degradation. Does it play a major role in the game? I normally hate it (it's a sword - you stick 'em with the pointy end), but nobody seems to be complaining about it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    It's almost convincing me to buy a Switch, just for that as well as whatever Mario games get churned out.

My only reservation regarding Zelda is weapon degradation. Does it play a major role in the game? I normally hate it (it's a sword - you stick 'em with the pointy end), but nobody seems to be complaining about it.
    Some are complaining, but not many thankfully.

The way I view it is, you soon learn which level of weapon will kill certain enemies. Weapons are abundant, any place you discover normally has at least one or two (for example, stables normally have 3-5 plus a shield or two). Shrines normally reward you with a decent, sometimes excellent weapon, and if you kill any enemy who is wielding a weapon, you get that on its death too.

I'm like you I think, in Souls/The Witcher and games of its ilk, I normally use 1 or 2 weapons and stick with it. This encourages you to switch, adapt and use strategy rather than going straight in with no regard. Just earlier I took out a group of five low level enemies with a mop ffs If you're taking on enemies and all your weapons are breaking and you're doing fuck all to them, come back later. Keep the big damage weapons for tough enemies/guardians/bosses, use the shit on the pleb enemies. Also use your runes, and bow a hell of a lot, they're very efficent. With the right bow, you can insta-kill pleb enemies with one arrow to the head.

The worse the weapon, the quicker they degrade. Found a 40 damage axe recently, basically took down an entire mini-boss, and half another mini-boss with it before it broke. Had to switch to a shitty club from an enemy, and that broke just as I killed the second mini-boss. There is one (maybe two, I dunno) weapon which cannot break, but you don't get it until midway through the game.

As for downsides:

*Frame rate can be dodgy in certain areas. Not enough to ruin the experience, but it is noticeable.
    *A lot of inventory time. You can drop swords/axes and all that by throwing them. Bows/armour/other shit you have to find in the inventory and drop. Once you're used to it its not too bad though.
    *Some people have complained about not being able to climb when its raining, but I discovered a bit of a cheese way to get around that.
    *In wide, open expanses where there's not much going on, it looks like a Wii game. But these areas are rare once you get the glider, leap off a mountain and you can traverse vast distance.

That's about it. Everything else is nailed completely. If you think of something, and think the game won't allow you...99% chance it will. See this as an example:

https://twitter.com/patepote61/statu...13290806534146

You can also 'complete' it as in beat the final boss within an hour if you're good enough and want to. You can just go straight to the boss once out of the tutorial bit, but you'll get your shit pushed back in unless you're a speedrunner.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the 'climbing while raining' thing a feature they put in? It was mentioned on one of the streams I watched as being because it'd be more difficult to do so, so it's in the game.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Isn't the 'climbing while raining' thing a feature they put in? It was mentioned on one of the streams I watched as being because it'd be more difficult to do so, so it's in the game.
    Yes, but see Jim Sterling and his reaction to weapon durability and the climbing while raining. Its led to neogaf (I know, its toxic), losing their shit. Its the games way of just saying "You can't go here at the moment, head in another direction and you'll discover something else" but its the modern world of gaming where everything is now, give it me now, I liked that weapon why did it break (despite the fact you'll find plenty more of said weapon).

His review was decent but those two complaints are intrinsic design decisions that may seem odd before you play but work perfectly in game. Its the first open world I've been in where every system, mechanism, and the whole structure of it feels like insane care has been taken. Even the random finding of rupees and other little things feel hand placed in the perfect areas. Its the first time in ages the Nintendo we all grew up on has come back to the fore.

As for climbing in the rain being possible:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    I love it. Love it.

You can also 'complete' it as in beat the final boss within an hour if you're good enough and want to. You can just go straight to the boss once out of the tutorial bit, but you'll get your shit pushed back in unless you're a speedrunner.
    Reminds me of Chrono Trigger in that regard. You can knock off the final boss almost immediately (you're a party of time travellers, so of course you can), and the ending you get is different depending on how much of the main story you've gotten through when you do.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say though, I don't believe any game is worth the price of a console, entirely depends on your funds and such. I wouldn't have it if that guy hadn't agreed to buy the Wii U for him and his kids when I'm done.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say though, I don't believe any game is worth the price of a console, entirely depends on your funds and such. I wouldn't have it if that guy hadn't agreed to buy the Wii U for him and his kids when I'm done.
    Yeah, and I doubt it'll be enough to get me over the line. Saving for mortgage deposit, etc.

But the idea of buying a console for a Zelda game is nice.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and I doubt it'll be enough to get me over the line. Saving for mortgage deposit, etc.

But the idea of buying a console for a Zelda game is nice.
    If I'd had £400 spare, I'd have bout the Switch for this, no doubt. But then I have no willpower.

This is one of the best videos I've watched with regards to the world. Minor, minor spoilers if they bother anyone:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm buying this at the end of the month. I can't wait.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Sterling's apparently angered fans enough with his 7/10 that his website is now crippled with DDOS attacks. Grow up, lads. In emulation news, Demon's Souls is getting closer.

And, on a sidenote, PS4 games are now coming to PS Now which has led some people to panic and call the PS4 obsolete.

leedsrevolution
    If I'd had £400 spare, I'd have bout the Switch for this, no doubt. But then I have no willpower.

This is one of the best videos I've watched with regards to the world. Minor, minor spoilers if they bother anyone:

How many Devine beasts you done so far? You got the mastersword?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None, and nope. I've not even done a proper main quest yet, just been wandering about. In no rush. Five hearts, two extra stamina bits.

leedsrevolution
    None, and nope. I've not even done a proper main quest yet, just been wandering about. In no rush. Five hearts, two extra stamina bits.
    What a fucking game though, I now truly believe it's the best game I've ever played.

leedsrevolution
    Oh and that video you posted sums it up perfectly.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    What a fucking game though, I now truly believe it's the best game I've ever played.
    I don't think it'll hit top spot for me, there's a few games that have a lot of personal meaning to me, but it'll easily crack my top ten. Finally progressed the story today, did 5 more shrines and found a few nice little bits that had me smiling. Its Nintendo's best game, not just best Zelda, since Ocarina for me. I don't count Metroid Prime as Retro made it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super Mario Bros 3 > *.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39265275

PS4 games coming to PC thanks to Playstation Now for £12.99 a month.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Super Mario Bros 3 > *.
    Super Metroid for me, its the perfect game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I love Divinity. There are a few wobbles in the Co-op stuff but otherwise that aide of it is spot on.

But I'm at a point now where any big fight will at some point have a big horrible mess of elemental effects on the go, and the way you can interact with that using your own abilities is just wonderful.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what mine is any more. It used to be Metal Gear Solid and now it's probably Dark Souls.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zelda Link To The Past is still my favourite from the series. The worst I've played was the DS one with the train stuff, which was still ace but felt more constricted.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's Grim Fandango, but that's a great call.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually Diablo 2 or CS 1.6 if we're being correct.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite game ever is something I've never given more than about ten seconds thought at a time, and the first proper game I ever completed then replayed was Broken Sword so it's always the first that comes to mind and I go with it. If I could pick any game to put on right now though it almost certainly wouldn't be that, so I probably have to give the question a bit more thought.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderboy is another personal favourite.

I sunk many hours into a tabletop arcade version (tabletops should come back btw) in hotels in Cyprus.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We might be due a new favourite game(s) ever thread. I think on the last board I did one a few years ago. Can't remember if I plumped for Panzer Dragoon Saga in the end, which I still have but am terrified to replay.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit like John, it's not something I've ever really thought about much. Lots of games I really enjoyed but I don't know what my favourite would be. Shadow of the Colossus, maybe.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too broad to pick just one.

Super Mario World is the perfect platformer.
    Mario Kart (pick your flavour but if it's anything other than Double Dash you're objectively wrong).
    Morrowind, passes the test of still being great without needing a billion mods to make it interesting.
    UFO, because it's perfect.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to sink serious time into Super Metroid. Metroid Prime was pretty cool but I probably came to that too late. Link to the Past is another blank spot.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    UFO, because it's perfect.
    It really, really is.

I'd take 3 > World in the Mario stakes, but I appreciate differences of opinion on that.

Also Lemmings is in the conversation for me.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ocarina of Time is the one that has the most feelings of pure joy attached to it. Probably that, along with Red Dead Redemption and Mirrors Edge as the more recent ones. Such a shame that ME: Catalyst is a bit shit.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've my top 10 nailed down tight, Breath of the Wild not withstanding if it creeps in (its currently on for top 5).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-early-access/

Well that sounds right up my alley.

That name, too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really, really is.

I'd take 3 > World in the Mario stakes, but I appreciate differences of opinion on that.
    If you still get the occasional hankering for some UFO then OpenXcom does a brilliant job of adding a little more functionality (zooming out, re-arranging base layouts etc).

Agreed on Mario, I reckon it will depend on which one you grew up with.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll need to hash mine out. I'm cataloguing my owned games so that'll get me thinking. I completely missed Nintendo until I bought a Gamecube, though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-early-access/

Well that sounds right up my alley.

That name, too.
    I've spent many, many hours of my life playing NetHack. I'll be all over that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered the Nier-steelbook.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the look of that. Sounds like Platnum have stopped shitting it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So another forum I'm on have inexplicably had a whipround and bought me an Xbox One completely out of the blue, plus Forza. What games are good on it?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fuck? That's nice of them. I'd say go for Forza Horizon 3.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    The fuck? That's nice of them. I'd say go for Forza Horizon 3.
    Yeah that's what they're sending. I know, its fucking mental, never even mentioned about wanting one. One geezer started a thread last night, I said nah its alreet, cheers though, woke up and they'd put 250 to it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many sexual favours were you handing out?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've subsequently offered my arse to all and sundry.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? Why did they do that?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could do with a PS4 lads.