User Tag List

Page 17 of 173 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hyper Light Drifter is also fantastic. Really, really hard though.

That and Gungeon run on any piece of shit PC though if you wanna go that route. My laptop has shite integrated graphics and neither game pushes it above 65 degrees.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of giving Gungeon a go. It looks up my alley.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Fallout 3 earlier which I'd bought in a Steam sale for a few quid ages ago. I died trying to get out of the vault. Fucking guards. Didn't like the combat at all. Not sure I can be arsed with it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That game got really piss at some point.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Hyper Light Drifter is also fantastic. Really, really hard though.

That and Gungeon run on any piece of shit PC though if you wanna go that route. My laptop has shite integrated graphics and neither game pushes it above 65 degrees.
    Yeah, I hear it's really difficult, which isn't promising considering I suck at average difficulty games. It does look really good though, so I'll probably end up waiting for it to drop into a Steam sale since I don't really have any desperate need to play it right now. Gungeon will kick the shit out of me too.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently downloading Call of Duty: Black Ops (the first one) for some shooty fun. Haven't played any CoD games since Modern Warfare 3. Was this one any good? It was only £6 anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CoDBlOps and CoDBlOps II are arguably where the series got a nice sense of direction. Then they fucked it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PC version doesn't seem to do the quick aim assist thing when you press the left trigger and it goes to the nearest enemy. I couldn't find a setting for it and I don't want to play with the mouse and keyboard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game BAFTA's were fucking weird yet again. Fallout 4 best game? Prison Architect beating The Witcher 3? Arkham Knight best British game? Nothing quite as odd as Destiny winning Best Game like last year, but still...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand game awards, but that may be because I've dropped off the Triple A radar.

Was Fallout 4 not excellent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I don't understand game awards, but that may be because I've dropped off the Triple A radar.

No, very much average and certainly not the best game of last year. That'd be The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne (which wasn't even nominated).

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably is for me. I've put more hours into Fallout 4 than anything else (although I haven't played a huge amount of games this year). The Witcher was great in many ways but it was very same-y further into the game. Fantastic storyline though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably get into Witcher after Dark Souls 3. I thought I'd be pushed for time trying to re-run Dark Souls before the sequel but I've just got Gwyn, his kid and the DLC left.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post

Depends. If this was your first taste of modern Bethesda RPG's then it would seem amazing, to someone who has played others in the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series (honestly, they're basically the same these days) the newest ones are a litany of missed opportunities. Enjoyable certainly, but very much a re-treading of what has gone before without any great innovation.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fallout 4's a weird one.

For me the base game was better than The Witcher 3 (which has pretty poor RPG elements), but I was still disappointed with it. That said, the DLC and updates have moved/are moving things in the right direction albeit they won't sort the lack of talking/too much killing in missions.

The progression and immersion is still second to none though.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fallout 4 was a big, juicy bag of shite. Witcher 3 was GOTY though.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immersion in what?

edit: You're all idiots anyway, Metal Gear was GOTY by about 100000000000000000000000000 miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Immersion in what?

edit: You're all idiots anyway, Metal Gear was GOTY by about 100000000000000000000000000 miles.
    Nah, traded it in the other day to get Bloodborne. It's got the best gameplay of any MGS but that's not hard. Story was still utter bobbins.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure it's possible to use normal descriptors when talking about the story in MGS games, it's kind of its own category all on its own. A ridiculous batshit stupid category full of terrible dialogue and badass grandpas.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MGS5 is the best Metal Gear because it has fuck all of the story in it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MGS5 is the best Metal Gear because it has fuck all of the story in it.
    Exactly. It could have been called Phantom Pain and completely unrelated to anything and it would have been the best game of last year.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its got plenty of story, its just delivered as background noise over the course of 30 hours. It doesn't have the urgency of the other games to throw everything at you with a world-ending deadline. All the while you're playing the best stealth game in a long while til Hitman gets finished.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark Souls got dusted after 18 hours. Couldn't be arsed with Gwyndolin's teleporting and after beating Artorias and seeing Manus I just wanted to get the game finished. Gwyn went down at the 5th attempt because I forgot tanking your flasks is a viable way to win. I love how that game makes you better at ...err... that game.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never sound like you actually enjoy playing Dark Souls.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the contrary. I flew through it and felt accomplished. Most of the bosses went down at the first attempt.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Dark Souls got dusted after 18 hours. Couldn't be arsed with Gwyndolin's teleporting and after beating Artorias and seeing Manus I just wanted to get the game finished. Gwyn went down at the 5th attempt because I forgot tanking your flasks is a viable way to win. I love how that game makes you better at ...err... that game.
    I very nearly threw the towel in on my save earlier. In Anor Londo, the bit where you have to get past those fucking archers that shoot arrows the size of spears at you. Fucking hell.

I'm a lot more than 18 hours in as well.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The annoying thing about those archers are that they respawn.

If they knock you off you can sometimes manage to quit the game before you hit the ground. The game will spawn you where your feet last met solid ground. I used that last time. Anor Londo is the biggest test the game will throw at you.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get past them in the end, it was genuinely the biggest ball ache in the game so far though. Re-spawning at the bonfire and trudging all the way back across that bridge for about the twentieth fucking time was soul destroying.

In brighter news I beat Ornstein and Smough about an hour ago.

Solo as well. God bless the +5 Black Knight Sword, is all I'll say about that.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I started a new game and I'm at that point now. Save-quit the archers at the third attempt to get through. Decided this is my achievements run due to the early going being trash. On the plus side, the Black Knight Sword did drop. I forgot how low the stat requirements were for that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've put the "lord vessel" down in that room underneath that weird snake looking thing now and he's sent me off to kill more bosses. Do I have a long way still to go Shinners? I never got anywhere near this far on it before.

I can warp between certain bonfires now too, which is useful. The fire at the Firelink Shrine doesn't work anymore though because the fire keeper has mysteriously disappeared and I've no idea how to get her to come back.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, she hasn't disappeared. I've just been and had another look. She's dead. That solves that then.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OR DOES IT!?

You're probably half way. Frampt should fill you in on the major players. In other shocking news, O&S at the second attempt. I no longer fear them.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With archers, run up, head straight right. Shield up, and the archer will eventually just fall off the ledge after attacking shield. Left archer won't hit you as you're too far away. No need for save and quit cheese.

If you want the easiest way, just parry him.

Congrats on beating Smough and Ornstein, hardest test for a first time player.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    OR DOES IT!?

You're probably half way. Frampt should fill you in on the major players. In other shocking news, O&S at the second attempt. I no longer fear them.
    Shit, I thought I was further along than that. I really want to nail it over the course of the next two nights because I've got Wednesday off work and the new one will be here by then. That seems unlikely though, given my pace so far.

Frampt did, in a fashion, fill me in on what's going on. The weird bastard. That sarcastic fucker who sits next to the bonfire at Firelink Shrine has gone now as well.

With archers, run up, head straight right. Shield up, and the archer will eventually just fall off the ledge after attacking shield. Left archer won't hit you as you're too far away. No need for save and quit cheese.

If you want the easiest way, just parry him.

Congrats on beating Smough and Ornstein, hardest test for a first time player.
    That's how I got him in the end. Although I actually engaged him just enough to get him to put the bow down and then ran away so he would follow me and fall off instead of actually going toe to toe with him.

Smough and Ornstein were tough, one of those that gave me the initial "well that's it, there's no way I'm ever getting any further" outlook. I think I got them fifth or sixth time though, I'm happy with that.

I killed the little guy (Ornstein?) first and then just danced about the big guy for absolutely ages, just a swing at a time. Getting greedy ("I can definitely get a few more swings in here before he.....fuck") seems to be the main reason for death a lot of the time with me. Probably because things tend to get so ridiculously fucking tense I just want to end it ASAP.

I think Sif (giant wolf, giant sword in his mouth) is the one who's killed me the most so far. And looking back I'm not sure it would have even been that hard of a fight if I'd just been patient instead of rolling straight in and trying to hack him to death like some sort of bloodthirsty mad man.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its definitely a game that punishes carelessness. I don't think I'll push much further with this run as Dark Souls III got dispatched this afternoon. You've got a weapon that'll see you to the end so its just about execution.

EDIT: Okay, another huge time save on this run.
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made my way through The Catacombs now, "Pinwheel" was an absolute piece of piss. I just walked up to him and hit him three times with the sword. Dead.

Tomb of the Giants though? Urgh. In the fucking dark? With shit jumping out at me left, right and centre? No. Not tonight. Fuck off.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get an item that helps there, its before TotG. If I could remember how I'd help lol. It lights it up a bit.

I get ya though, my first few runs through there was in the dark, tough as nails.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got the skull lantern (or something like that) that I picked up in The Catacombs, that does light things up a bit. But (obviously) I can only use it at the expense of my shield. So as soon as I get jumped by anything it's back to the shield, and darkness. Followed by wild flailing around in said darkness, followed by death.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the lantern to gauge your surroundings, lock on to an enemy and let them come to you. One thing that got me about my last run through there is how short that area can be. Its just a little fiddly and disorientating. One of the areas to just get over with, really.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to buy The Golf Club after watching the Masters.

Did the Black Brook course and went 21 over par. 2 Birdies, 4 pars, 6 bogeys, 5 double bogeys and one quintuple bogey (I went into the water twice ).

I did have a long putt of 21 feet though so I'm counting that as a moral victory.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1v1 me bro

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1v1 me bro
    I went against 3 of your ghosts in that game to see just how bad I was.

It was brutal.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want any tips etc just say. There's a lot of math behind getting good.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen this new game that's coming out in June: No Man's Sky? Seems quite interesting.

Looks like it's space exploration with a procedurally generated universe that contains approx 2 x 10^19 planets. Also looks like there is some combat versus the AI and a lot of discovering to do.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want any tips etc just say. There's a lot of math behind getting good.
    That would be great, cheers.

I just played an easy course then went back to Black Brook.

Had I not gone into the water on the 18th I'd have finished under for the back 9.

I feel fairly good at putting (50% of the time I 2 putt) but I'm not great at adjusting for the wind as well as using the right club.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    That would be great, cheers.
    This tells you the basics, use the tabs at the bottom:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...s8E/edit#gid=0

The 1/2/3/4 columns across the carry yardage signify 1/2/3/4 bars of loft.

There's a load more I could help with but just learn the fundamentals

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks the business, cheers.

Played 5 rounds now and I've got a handicap of 8.9. That's not too bad, is it?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I miss DS playing in the Masters tourney he got invited to take part in?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    That looks the business, cheers.

Played 5 rounds now and I've got a handicap of 8.9. That's not too bad, is it?
    8.9 is terrible. You need a + next to it for an actual handicap. 8.9 means the course is giving you a 9 shot lead essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Did I miss DS playing in the Masters tourney he got invited to take part in?
    I fucked it mate, didn't make cut. Course was insanely unrealistic.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    Has anyone seen this new game that's coming out in June: No Man's Sky? Seems quite interesting.

Looks like it's space exploration with a procedurally generated universe that contains approx 2 x 10^19 planets. Also looks like there is some combat versus the AI and a lot of discovering to do.
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. Looks like an astonishing thing (although I have reservations about how much 'game' there is).