User Tag List

Page 16 of 173 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The level on the boat where they take all my fucking augmentations off me is bullshit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was released later as DLC then included as part of the main flow in the Director's Cut. That was the first one with a non-wank boss fight supposedly, before they "fixed" the other ones.

Have you noticed that you've had options in the boss fights, out of interest?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That was released later as DLC then included as part of the main flow in the Director's Cut. That was the first one with a non-wank boss fight supposedly, before they "fixed" the other ones.

Have you noticed that you've had options in the boss fights, out of interest?
    I was reading a bit of the old thread on the old forum and I saw you all complaining about that. I've not really noticed to be honest. I've generally been pretty well tooled up throughout as I'm always shit at stealth in games. I try it for a bit but it inevitably goes wrong and I have to shoot my way out of trouble.

So annoyed I can't hack everything now though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got around the fact that the first guy is basically a bullet sponge with the gas canisters lying around and then there was the one with the invisible bint who I just Typhoon'd whenever she got close which felt a bit cheap. I'm probably not going to replay HR now unless Mankind Divided ends up shit so I should just read up and see what options there are for the bosses since it got changed.

The issue was that for some bizarre reason they outsourced the boss fights.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why have bosses in the first place?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boss fights are, generally, balls but in a game like Deus Ex they do make sense narratively and there's no reason they shouldn't work in terms of gameplay provided they cater to various approaches. Gunther Hermann in in the original, for example, catered for people who didn't actually do much shooting if you were committed to sneaking about and hacking everything. And of course in a world with those sorts of augments it makes sense that you'd have a few goons with the good shit to do your dirty work for you.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know no-one here but shindig really plays it, but I've just had a gaming milestone.

I'm heavily into The Golf Club, and I play a weekly tournament thing which mirrors the real world golf tour, complete with levels, money lists etc. Worked my way up from the amateur section to the European Tour end of last year/early this year, and my goal was to make enough money to qualify for the majors next year. I've only been invited to play The Masters a year fucking early. Way ahead of schedule, on one of the hardest courses in the freaking game.

My profile complete with earnings, results history and ranking

The Masters Field

My ranking is off as it goes off tournaments played, and you need a total of 40 to hit your true rank. I haven't played that many, so I'm actually around top 50-60 global.

Put a geeky smile on my face, its not an easy game and I've put so much into it to be of a pretty high level. Feels like a success. I coulda put those hours into something more meaningful, like a life skill or employment, but fuck it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some impressive stuff.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing lately. It's surprisingly fun. Definitely on the weird scale, but surprisingly detailed for an internet flash game.

I'm skipping all the multiplayer elements though. This is a single player RPG in my books.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very close to buying Factorio, which looks furiously complicated but brilliant fun.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used GOG? I can't actually use the search because the name is too fucking short.

I ask because I've just spotted that Pillars of Eternity GOG keys are selling for only £3.07 on Kinguin.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.kinguin.net/category/1560...ition-gog-key/

£4.03 if you include buyers protection (it's from Russians so I did) and use the code TOP7COM.

Mine is downloading now.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOG is legit. Used it for a bunch of stuff.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOG are superb. Legit, decent prices (not compared to keys thieved in Russia or wherever, obviously), DRM free and excellent customer service.

Give them your money. All of it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not getting the money, the Russians are.

I had just never used GOG (or Russian key sites for it) unlike Steam.

Edit: Fucking download keeps failing. Fuck you 'Disk access problem'

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Deus Ex now. Really enjoyed it.

Not sure what to play next though. Any suggestions? Something similar to that would be nice.

Or I'm tempted tobget GTA V on the PC. Played a bit of it in the 360 when it came out but kinda want the PC version to play through it properly and for the first person mode.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah GTA V is hilarious.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a Batman mood after the shambles of Dawn of Justice and Arkham Knight is way beyond the price I'm prepared to risk for it being a horrible mess on my PC (I should probably just pirate it first to see if it runs and then if it does I'd happily fork over the money but I'm too lazy for that) so I've reinstalled Arkham Asylum and played an hour or so of that. Doesn't look bad for it's age and it's properly slick still. The combat in particular still feels the business.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yet Asylum's the best those games will get.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    And yet Asylum's the best those games will get.
    Indeed.

I absolutely loved Asylum, was left a little disappointed with Arkham City and left Origins alone fairly swiftly.

The scarecrow missions in Asylum were stunning and the setting just worked so well.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Asylum and City about level. Asylum was certainly the slicker game for having a sharper focus but I thought they did a great job of the open world too. Origins was pretty much what you'd expect from a different studio trying to ape City and then as I said above I've still yet to play Batman Poochiemobile.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like Asylum did the villains better, too. With the gap between now and Dark Souls 3, I've found myself starting a new character on the first game. Again. The PC drop-rate continues to be weird. Had enough shards by Undead Parish to +5 my Battle Axe before hitting the Gargoyles. Battered the first Titanite Demon at the first attempt and landed the Catchpole. Took on the Black Knight in Darkroot and landed the Halberd. Naturally, I took this luck with me and got NOTHING from the Black Knight in Undead Burg.

Also beat Capra legit for the first time in months. I'm recording it but the bitrate makes it look a garbled mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    In a Batman mood after the shambles of Dawn of Justice and Arkham Knight is way beyond the price I'm prepared to risk for it being a horrible mess on my PC (I should probably just pirate it first to see if it runs and then if it does I'd happily fork over the money but I'm too lazy for that) so I've reinstalled Arkham Asylum and played an hour or so of that. Doesn't look bad for it's age and it's properly slick still. The combat in particular still feels the business.
    It's a shame the PC port was such a disaster. I played it on the PS4 and it's a cracking game, certainly better than City. Doesn't quite capture the magic of Asylum though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head, not having played the first two for a while, I'd say Asylum > City > Knight (one word - Batmobile). I remember finding Origins perfectly competent at the time, but I'll be buggered if I can remember any of it now, and I'm not sure we count it as part of the main series anyway.

Though thinking about it, the boss fights in Asylum are pretty poo (and largely in Arkham Knight too) whereas in City they were a marked improvement and as good as they ever got, so I suspect if I replayed them now I might give the edge to City.

PS - Batmobile is a right dickhead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't hate the Batmobile as much as most. I mean, I understand why they included it and if large swathes of the game didn't require it I don't think people would've minded it either. That being said, the story and combat more than make up for it. Story wise I think it's a lot better than City and with better side quests (Riddler race tracks aside)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Origins was notable for the homoerotic overtones they decided to slip into Batman and Joker's relationship.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    I didn't hate the Batmobile as much as most. I mean, I understand why they included it and if large swathes of the game didn't require it I don't think people would've minded it either. That being said, the story and combat more than make up for it. Story wise I think it's a lot better than City and with better side quests (Riddler race tracks aside)
    I'm very much in the anti-Batmobile camp, and sadly it does rather tarnish the game for me as Batmobile stuff felt like it took up about half of it. As you say it would have been fine as nice little side mechanic (and I actually thought the Riddler race tracks were the best use of it) and an optional way to cruise around the city, but I spent large portions of the game seething that instead of doing the fun stealth gameplay the series had perfected, I was instead on my fiftieth round of doing the Battle of the Bulge against some nob's glorified remote control cars (note to villains, if you used a single manned tank you'd have won, dickheads) or horror of horrors, doing bloody platforming sections in the car. For me it's genuinely up there as the worst addition to a series in gaming history.

It's a real shame, as I agree they nailed most other things in the game. Though I remember feeling a little short changed by the amount of side missions featuring villains rather than more tanks/faceless goons.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guy on Pillars:

Brelmaak the drifter monk

I have a giant miniature space pig knocking about with me thanks to a bonus when I bought the game. Scenes.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godlike doesn't seem to have many of it's own dialogue options, which is a bit of a shame. I went Death Godlike and then Druid for class so I can turn into a bear and gib people.

Back onto Batman, Cord makes a point about the boss fights. A number of them were "dodge when this thing charges at you so it hits a wall and then twat it a bit." Probably the game's only real flaw though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Freeze was a good one in City but I'd imagine you can only do that once.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bears are bastards :moop;

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I feel like Asylum did the villains better, too. With the gap between now and Dark Souls 3, I've found myself starting a new character on the first game. Again. The PC drop-rate continues to be weird. Had enough shards by Undead Parish to +5 my Battle Axe before hitting the Gargoyles. Battered the first Titanite Demon at the first attempt and landed the Catchpole. Took on the Black Knight in Darkroot and landed the Halberd. Naturally, I took this luck with me and got NOTHING from the Black Knight in Undead Burg.

Also beat Capra legit for the first time in months. I'm recording it but the bitrate makes it look a garbled mess.
    I'm back on the first one too, Shinners. I've spent a largely anti social weekend sat in front of the television playing it.

I never got anywhere near finishing it the first time around and I think I've already got further than I ever got originally. I've just been to The Depths (the sewers down there are a fucking right maze, fuck that giant rat too) and beaten the boss down there, the Gaping Dragon. He's the hardest boss I've fought so far. Well, I say hardest, he actually wasn't too bad once I figured out what to do. I just died a LOT during the said figuring out process.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got to the Killer Croc bit in Asylum and thought "Fuck that on a Sunday night."

Forgot about that when we were talking flaws earlier.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its one of those bosses that's cool til you take a step back and realise you're playing a game of green light / red light. Speaking of terrible ways to spend time, I've done the Catacombs early in Dark Souls. The skeleton run. Deary me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Killer Croc bit was bobbins. Cracking game overall though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving the enhanced edition of Divinity: Original Sin, it's a vast improvement, just adding full voice acting for everyone makes such a difference. Plus there's a grid based inventory and about a million things I don't know if I should be keeping, I'm in my element.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking Dead Season One is done. Stronger cast of characters than Season Two but that had a better Kenny and Clem. Almost felt a little sour over the ex machina near the end.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those Telltale Walking Dead/Game of Thrones etc. games basically graphic adventures in the mould of Monkey Island Shinners?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say its more like they took the best aspects of Quantic Dream's work (i.e. the narrative) and then sacked off cryptic adventure game logic in favour of piss easy puzzles and QTE's designed to push things forward. Problem then becomes more about making sure the writing is on point which Walking Dead does very well and I'm told Tales from The Borderlands follows suit. Game of Thrones being the big miss.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon QTEs might be the shittiest thing in the whole of gaming

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metal Gear Solid 4's hallway of significance says fuck you.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Easily.

Fuck you Heavenly Sword.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    They kind of work with the Telltale games though. It's when they're thrown into games that don't need them at all, like Uncharted.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Are those Telltale Walking Dead/Game of Thrones etc. games basically graphic adventures in the mould of Monkey Island Shinners?
    The first Walking Dead game is a masterpiece. I loved it so much. The second season is good too.

Not much game in there, just a great story. Very much recommended.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The first Walking Dead game is a masterpiece. I loved it so much. The second season is good too.

Not much game in there, just a great story. Very much recommended.
    I agree with the Walking Dead game. Season 1 and 2 were good. The only other games that ive played like it is heavy rain, which is much more complicated and the original broken sword on PS1. Is Game of Thrones like this game format as well? If it is, ill go and pick it up later.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made by the same studio in the same style as is The Wolf Among Us which is great.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasnt aware of that. Ive just rented both of them. Niceness.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enter The Gungeon is insanely good. Its a Rogue-like, ala Binding of Isaac. You pick up guns and active items, all randomly generated on each run, same as the layout etc. You die, you start again.

Its got the i-frame roll, similar to Dark Souls, and above all else its hard as fucking nails. New addiction for me, I'm yet to beat a boss on the second floor (there's 5 floors total) but its so satisfying. Bullet hell + Dark Souls roll + Isaac = Amazing.

About £10 on PS4, completely worth it. Of course if you hate Isaac or other rogue-likes, you'll hate this.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been watching Northernlion play it & it looks pretty brilliant. Got my eyes on Hyper Light Drifter too, although I suspect I'll be horrendously shit at it.

I really ought to get a gaming PC together, my Mac isn't exactly the ideal platform to play on.