User Tag List

Page 14 of 173 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like their sense of humour. That might be a dealbreaker if its constantly, "Yeah, well, snark, snark, snark."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 1 of Firewatch. I got settled into the cabin, went to investigate some fireworks to find two skinnydipping teenage girls who called me a virgin pervert, then went back to cabin through a canyon as someone shined a torch down on me from above and left. The cabin was vandalised, the lady on the radio will contact the park rangers.

The entire time I spent it on edge waiting for something weird to happen or to be set upon by something, having intentionally exposed myself to nothing about the game other than the lovely screens. I like it so far, although my trepidation over what may or may not be coming might shape my overall view of the game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...vel-pc-review/
    It looks fantastic but this sounds like a Steam sale game to me.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firewatch was pretty good. Might knock up the review whilst I'm at work tomorrow. Although my sense of direction failed me a couple of times.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It started getting weird so I've turned it off at Day 77 as it's late at night and I don't have the nerve to go further yet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished. Really liked that, even spending most the time with the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it quite short, then?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Day 1 of Firewatch. I got settled into the cabin, went to investigate some fireworks to find two skinnydipping teenage girls who called me a virgin pervert, then went back to cabin through a canyon as someone shined a torch down on me from above and left. The cabin was vandalised, the lady on the radio will contact the park rangers.
    That was one of my favourite lines in any videogame ever the moment you see that guy. The "There's this weird place where everyone walks around as they please, it's called outside"

I've just absolutely butchered it but it definitely convinced me to pick it up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is it quite short, then?
    Yeah. I lost track of time a bit so I can't tell you exactly how long it took me, but it couldn't have been more than maybe four hours overall. It's worth it though as far as I'm concerned (if it goes on sale at any point I'd recommend it to anyone, but £15 might be a bit of a push), that review you posted summed it up nicely.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NBA 2K16 is free on Steam this weekend. I urge everyone to buy it just to play through 'A Spike Jones Joint'.

It's incredible. It's like playing the video game version of a straight to DVD Spike Lee movie.

Shazam, indeed.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't able to get into 2k16 like I was 15.

I blame Spike Lee probably.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because the games barely changed since 12.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Yeah. I lost track of time a bit so I can't tell you exactly how long it took me, but it couldn't have been more than maybe four hours overall. It's worth it though as far as I'm concerned (if it goes on sale at any point I'd recommend it to anyone, but £15 might be a bit of a push), that review you posted summed it up nicely.
    Yeah, I was quite satisfied with the way it played out although others seem to disagree. The pacing seems a little dumb but I liked how that game stuck with its themes. So, err, how did you roll?

Toggle Spoiler

That prologue really set me up for how I was going to play it, though. GOD! THAT PROLOGUE IS AMAZING!

EDIT: Also I'm playing Demon's Souls again. This time to the finish to make it all of the series in the space of 12 months.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember the specific answers I chose throughout, but I had Henry as
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started playing Empire Total War recently having not given it a proper go when I bought it years ago. The laptop I had then couldn't really run it properly. It runs grand on my desktop now.

I'm fucking awful at it though. Started as Russia and fucking Dagestan has taken one of my regions already, the bastards. I've been throwing troops at Crimea as well and their shitty little armed militias keep fending off my armies. I had a load of cannons there and they were just useless. Thought them combined with some cavalry would've done the job but nope. My cavalry were useless too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Important techs to research early (having two or three schools spread about is a good idea) are grape shot and decent bayonets. Grape shot is particularly good as it turns cannons into giant shotguns.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I think went for some stupid horse military tech first.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the subject of artillery you're going to want to micromanage it. Have anything that's direct fire on manual aiming, let them fire at will and they won't bat an eyelid at turning and firing straight through your own formations.

For all it's flaws I really liked this one, might just be the period but I think i played it more than any of the others apart from Rome.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layers of Fear, then. Kotaku called it P.T. on drugs.

I disagreed.

Seems to be reviewing fairly well. Blame youtube.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jet Set Radio and the Sega Genesis Collection are free on Steam if you want to grab 'em.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had sega colleciton on the ps2. It was solid. The games back then, i find super hard.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these days I'll finish one of the classic Sonics. In the meantime, I'm back to where I was with Demon's Souls. Actually I'm further as I never beat Tower Knight last time around. Fools Idol down at the second crack which I'm quite chuffed with. I've gained some real appreciation for the bosses in this. They're all gimmicks but they execute it well.

Guys, Hideo Kojima's still talking to Norman Reedus about doing a project together. Hushed Mountains is back on, kids.

In the meantime, here's IGN's video review of Layers of Fear. The comments are golden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTZ-Kwi24eM

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only gives you Golden Axe. Golden Axe sucks.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to grab Jet Set Radio, but my computer is busted.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    It only gives you Golden Axe. Golden Axe sucks.
    What? Golden Axe is the bees knees.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I really want to grab Jet Set Radio, but my computer is busted.
    Use the mobile app?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GiantBomb are currently playing American Truck Simulator live at the moment, they've just started and it's very entertaining
    www.giantbomb.com/chat

EDIT: The archive http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quic...or/2300-10991/

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    What? Golden Axe is the bees knees.
    It's really, really crap. Everything from terrible sprite alignment to slow control responses, it's awful. Streets of Rage 2 makes it look an absolute joke (which is free next week btw)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start cussing Streets Of Rage then we are going to have to have a srs talk.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    If you start cussing Streets Of Rage then we are going to have to have a srs talk.
    Indeed.

There was a Streets of Rage machine at the local swimming pool when I was a kid.

An hour of swimming and then a few games on the machine with a carton of strawberry Ribena

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condemned and Streets of Better Than Golden Axe 2 are free today.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sonic CD, please.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, so good.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did somebody mention someone finally beat Dark Souls without taking a single hit on the 14th? For a four year old game with that kind of fanbase, this is nuts. Look for The_Happy_Hobbit on twitch. Be warned, its a tough watch 'cos ... its twitch. Took him about 3 hours but it wasn't quick.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting ridiculous.

Sega's free games today are: Company of Heroes 2, Total War: Atilla and Dawn of War 2.

edit: Oh those were the ones on sale. Bastards. It's Gunstar Heroes, Renegade Ops & Viking: Battle for Asgard.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattling through Demon's Souls now. Last boss i thumped was Leechmonger. He should be called Shit Flinger.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done with driveclub bikes and motogp 15. Driveclub was a £15 add-on and moto gp was the same as the last one. Still, both were OK fun. Im on to project cars now which i hear is a great game.

Playing
    Project Cars

Completed
    Driveclub Bikes
    Moto GP 15

Unplayed
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    God of War III: Remastered
    Uncharted 1,2,3
    Resident Evil HD Remaster
    Need For Speed
    WRC 5
    GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas Remakes
    Tony Hawk 5

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Demon's Souls has a notorious boss fight which is a PVP encounter with another online player. Initially entertaining, the battle is determined by who has the most healing items. I.e. not me.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked myself up an Xbox One last week, but I need a headset. Since the last time I saw an Xbox controller it seems to have grown a 3.5mm port in the bottom, so does this mean I can get any headset that connects via 3.5mm jack and it'll work fine, without needing that adapter that costs about £25?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure. Microsoft love their proprietary bullshit.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Not sure. Microsoft love their proprietary bullshit.
    Yeah they got a lot of shit for that, which I thought was why they added the new 3.5mm port to the new controllers. No one seems to be 100% sure on whether or not you still actually need the adapter or not.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I've done them all, I might as well rank the Souls series from best to worst.

Dark Souls
    Yup. It's ran close by its predecessor but the world and lore push it to the top. Contains one of the few bosses in gaming I genuinely fear and a couple of really nice swerves. Bleak atmosphere, too with plenty of build options.

Demon's Souls
    In comparison with the others it's the shortest and probably one of the hardest ones for me to get into. My first crack of the whip saw me struggle to get to the third boss after 21 hours. This time around I was into the home stretch in that time. It's arguably got the toughest levels and they haven't perfected the art of shortcuts yet but its probably a Souls game at its most memorable. Most bosses have a trick or spectacle to them which can be figured out and all you have to do is get to them. The guard break on bigger weapons is bloody stupid, though. This weird little shove that completely immobilises you. Also, bad translations and a lack of feedback knack you up on weapons breaking, status ailments, etc...

Bloodborne
    It has the most consistent challenge by far. All the others follow a pattern of valleys and peaks in difficulty whereas this feels like leaving one challenge to tackle the next. The lack of weapon variety wasn't initially bothersome but its hampering my impetus to replay it. The combat is the best of the series, though. Being controlled with your aggression, rather than passively waiting to punish an opening just feels more fun and its better to watch. And I'm not sure I want the DLC, still. The bosses look cool but the new weapons are handed out so late in the game that pursing a different build requires an very early rush of it.

Dark Souls 2
    Some people are dead against this in some unhealthy ways. I feel its the weakest game but that's mostly due to the game not being so memorable. I could forgive the world being a deformed jigsaw as you could just slap a lore reason on to it. I.e. you're going hollow and can't trust your own eyes. It does provide a ton of weapon variety and bosses but it feels a little overweight. Demon's had trivial bosses but they served up memorable situations. Dark Souls II can't match that. Smelter Demon and Velstadt were top fights and the walk up to the Ancient Dragon felt like something special. That game taught me how to roll, though. Travel light, kids.

Dark Souls III is six weeks away.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Dark Souls 2, and feel a bit "Meh" even though I have all the dlc included on the disk don't think I'm going to bother with its.

Ploughed over 100 hours into it and did enjoy it a little but it feels a little bit miss mashed going from one area to another and none of it feels connected to the last area.

Where as in Bloodborne you could see areas in the distance that you had just travelled from or areas you needed to get to etc.

Combat was way to easy most of the bosses I managed to down on the first attempt, hardest part was stopping myself playing the game like Bloodborne.

Dark Souls 3 looks very Bloodborne(ish)

Genuinely excited for its release!!

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best bit is when they expect you to take a lift from the top of Earthen Peak (You know, the peak of it) straight UP to the lava land of Iron Keep. I will revisit it for DLC purposes and I always look at these games and think I want to do it better.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just done the first three episodes of Telltale's Game of Thrones. Good stuff, albeit exactly what you'd expect. Though I do like that while it includes some of the series main characters it's not, so far, in a way that has you going "How the fuck would this not have come up in the books/series?" It's just another set of struggles in a world that's going to shit. And that it's jumping between you controlling several characters (more on that in the spoiler below) gives it a feeling similar to the source material as well.

Toggle Spoiler

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.playstationcountry.com/ga...st-ps4-review/

Yeah, review work's looking like it'll balloon over the next couple of months. Pray for backlog. Also, Final Fantasy X is starting to grab me.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Now I've done them all, I might as well rank the Souls series from best to worst.

Dark Souls
    Yup. It's ran close by its predecessor but the world and lore push it to the top. Contains one of the few bosses in gaming I genuinely fear and a couple of really nice swerves. Bleak atmosphere, too with plenty of build options.

Demon's Souls
    In comparison with the others it's the shortest and probably one of the hardest ones for me to get into. My first crack of the whip saw me struggle to get to the third boss after 21 hours. This time around I was into the home stretch in that time. It's arguably got the toughest levels and they haven't perfected the art of shortcuts yet but its probably a Souls game at its most memorable. Most bosses have a trick or spectacle to them which can be figured out and all you have to do is get to them. The guard break on bigger weapons is bloody stupid, though. This weird little shove that completely immobilises you. Also, bad translations and a lack of feedback knack you up on weapons breaking, status ailments, etc...

Bloodborne
    It has the most consistent challenge by far. All the others follow a pattern of valleys and peaks in difficulty whereas this feels like leaving one challenge to tackle the next. The lack of weapon variety wasn't initially bothersome but its hampering my impetus to replay it. The combat is the best of the series, though. Being controlled with your aggression, rather than passively waiting to punish an opening just feels more fun and its better to watch. And I'm not sure I want the DLC, still. The bosses look cool but the new weapons are handed out so late in the game that pursing a different build requires an very early rush of it.

Dark Souls 2
    Some people are dead against this in some unhealthy ways. I feel its the weakest game but that's mostly due to the game not being so memorable. I could forgive the world being a deformed jigsaw as you could just slap a lore reason on to it. I.e. you're going hollow and can't trust your own eyes. It does provide a ton of weapon variety and bosses but it feels a little overweight. Demon's had trivial bosses but they served up memorable situations. Dark Souls II can't match that. Smelter Demon and Velstadt were top fights and the walk up to the Ancient Dragon felt like something special. That game taught me how to roll, though. Travel light, kids.

Dark Souls III is six weeks away.
    Good post Shinners.

RE: DkS Boss you fear: O&S?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. Its the difficulty spike for me in that game. A better fight than Throne Defender and Throne Watcher, mind. O&S give you some space and time.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have listened to the reviewers about tony hawks 5. It is terrible. Seriously bad. Easily one of the worst games ive ever played.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wait for Dark Souls 3 is killing me, tried delving into Fallout 4 but finding it a bit crap so far...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to get back into Bloodborne's chalice dungeons. It scales independently from NG+ so I've taken my level 70 character and decided to batter them.