User Tag List

Page 11 of 173 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the new Battle System works then FF7 might be the best game on a console twice.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that in Dying Light there are things which can turn out to be safe zones even though they're not marked as such for your collect 'em all gallivant. I should probably do a couple more story missions so the day-night cycle becomes active but I'm being a coward and unlocking some safe areas first.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, all the safe zones in the world won't save you from the fear and exhilaration of being out at night for the first time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only night time I've done was during the mission when it forces you to really early on. What scared/impressed me was how dark it was. Which sounds really stupid but most games during the 'dark' there's enough ambient light that you're still in control. I was shitting myself, hoping I wasn't about to crawl into some zombie twat on purposes.

That said, I've encountered a couple of 'normal' zombies that surprised me by being quite tough for my low level weapons. One with body armour of some kind so anything but a twat to the head didn't bother it.

First time some special zombie twat fists me in the dark there's going to be bodily fluids everywhere.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see there was a gameplay video posted of Far Cry Primal:

Couple of thoughts:
    - Not sure how I feel about the owls, seems like you can just scout an outpost from miles away without fear of being spotted. And the owl can drop fire bombs. What?
    - The scenery looks nice. I wonder what other ways there will be to travel the world, because not having vehicles will be a severe handicap.
    - Spears.
    - Double bow.
    - It seems a bit easy to be able to summon all these beasts whenever you feel like it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be galloping about on animals, no doubt.

What I want to know is how an annoying American tourist is going to end up caught up in ancient mystical tribal beastmaster wars.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I don't think riding a Mammoth of the side of the cliff will give me the same rush, unfortunately.

I just can't wait to see what shaman voodoo magic crap they force on us this time.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primal looks pretty decent, although I'll definitely miss my silenced sniper rifle.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I care for this, the melee and bow stuff is my least favourite part of the game, with the animal summoning this smells too much like those awful Shangri-La missions that were horrible and that I hated.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said with explosives, I'd be surprised if there aren't some gun-a-likes. Surely they're not going from mega-successful games which mostly featured stupidly overpowered guns to running about with the options of chucking owls or spears at people?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I've decided not to cram Witcher 3 for GOTY consideration but Sony also stealthed out Yakuza 5 and I kinda want to review that. Hmm...

Also, I can never go back to console versions of Dark Souls now. DSFix makes it look so good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally had a hissy fit playing PES 2016 so loaded up Alien Isolation for a quick blast.....

Haven't come across the alien yet but I'm in love with this game dark room and surround sound whacked up loud and I've jumped no end of times.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far Cry 4 is done and dusted...

Toggle Spoiler

I noticed something during the end cutscene that I've never really thought about before, specifically that Pagan Min is characterised as a flamboyant guy with an interest in fashion who employed a Royal Tailor for at least part of his reign yet he wears precisely one outfit during the entire game. Now, is that because players can't be trusted to recognise a character without a 'uniform' or because writers and programmers don't create characters that be easily differentiated?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably both. Do any main villains not have a 'uniform'?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, Yakuza's continuing its grand tradition of treating Japanese society like a giant cartoon. Lovely. For anyone jumping into the series at 5, here's the gist:

Yakuza - The one where the tower explodes. 1,00.000,000 Yen or something.
    Yakuza 2 - The one where you cage fight two tigers. Also mad 80s flashbacks. And 'suspicious foreigners',
    Yakuza 3 - The one where you drop all your criminal intent to save an orphanage. And transexual Benny Hill sidequests.
    Yakuza 4 - All the heroes decide to have their final boss fight on the same rooftop.

UP TO SPEED! FUCK SHENMUE!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I've played every single Yakuza game now.

Thanks, Shinners.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noby Noby Boy is over. GIRL has reached the Earth.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then this happened.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how Sony have tried to frame it as 'He's created a Sony studio!'

Hideo then clearly emphasises the fact that only his first game is a PS exclusive.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demerit View Post
    I love how Sony have tried to frame it as 'He's created a Sony studio!'

Hideo then clearly emphasises the fact that only his first game is a PS exclusive.
    And a 'console exclusive' at that so it'll be on PC where it'll be superior anyway.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only his games weren't full of overwrought rubbish and early-teen-essay standards of writing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or they could pull a Bloodborne and lock it down. Plus we don't know how big Kojima's team will be.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever it is will be on PC as well.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what deal is struck. If it becomes a franchise then I've no doubt. Sony's brokering some serious deals this generation.

And Sega still makes games

Last review of the year from me. I think I've done less than last year.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article I read confirmed it but seems to have been removed now so who knows.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've played about three minutes of Heavy Rain and I think I already hate it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to engross yourself in the story. The gameplay is very dire.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was just a genuinely atrocious tutorial bit. I'm now intrigued by the story but not yet sure how long I'm going to want to stick with QTEs: The Game! to find out what happens in it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already, stick the difficulty down to the lowest available. The QTEs will be much easier.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had a problem aside from one bit which I just let the game skip.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just played the first mission of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and not only is is like a dose of nostalgia injected right in the eyeball but it makes me wonder why no-one ever did any Next Generation adventure games, it's such a perfect fit. This could have done with some easing in though, because it was 1992 it was apparently ok to just dumps you right into a battle with no explanation of how anything works. The voice acting remains superb and I even completed the first mission without losing the redshirt.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Games Done Quick (3rd -10th Jan)

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

As usual, it finishes on an RPG run. There's a Bloodborne Any % in there but the time suggests its pre-patch so that's kinda shit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Just Cause 3 off the PS store yesterday at around 3pm. It's now half nine the next day and I've yet to be able to play it as it's been 'installing' since then

It's still progressing so I'll let it be for now, but it's fucking atrocious. I've done some searching and it seems to be a problem sometimes (although mainly for GTA). Fuck knows what's going on with it but it's been going so long I'm loathe to try and arse around with it now.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloading off Sony servers is hell on earth.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Yakuza 5 resolved a Santa side quest where you beat up a load of armed guys and gift their weapons to children as presents.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80 Days is a wonderful thing.

RPS describe it better than I do. I got round the world in 69 days and all I can feel (other than that I was perhaps lucky, or that the timer simply really isn't the point) is that I wish I'd taken in a few more cities on this first run rather than fearing the day counter and looking for the easiest ways to progress. Some of the Choose Your Own Adventure-type bits are really well done, as is the writing of the characters you meet and the places you visit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Downloading off Sony servers is hell on earth.
    The download was fine - it's the install which took forever. It's done now and the game's pretty good. It's just soured it a bit to start with.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My arms are actually sore from playing Fallout 3 since about half 11 this morning more or less solidly.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another run at 80 days and this time I only just made it on the 80th day, thinking I was done for when I found myself in Benin with five days to go. Such a good game. Next time I'm going to do a run through Russia and Canada, I think.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking off some more bosses in Dark Souls 2. So far I've found one of the big four souls (Lost Sinner) but haven't beaten him. Should be closing in on the second one as I've unlocked Iron Keep. This game is actually daunting and I think I understand why people take the glass cannon approach. You will always take hits and armour does nothing to negate it. Looking to level up adaptability and vigor now.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dishonored is great so far. I love the environment, all the lore, the equipment, blinking... I had high chaos on the first mission, but I think from now on I'll be focusing on stealth and choking people out.

Also got Metro Redux for Christmas so I'll giving those a playthrough in the new year. Probably on Ranger mode for Last Light. Love the idea of a game that is designed to be playable without a HUD.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs bought me Fallout 4 for Christmas god bless her cotton socks.

First I need to finish off Alien Isolation(currently lvl6)

Also sold PES 2016 and bought Witcher 3 on the PS4 with the trade in voucher from CEX.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You been poking your nose into every nook and cranny in Dishonored, @CJay ? There's plenty of good stuff to find to build up the lore and Dunwall and whatever.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll give 80 days a try, sounds fun.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done three playthroughs now and I've got at least one more in me. Perhaps two. I've yet to make a dent in Russia, South America or much of Africa.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You been poking your nose into every nook and cranny in Dishonored, @CJay ? There's plenty of good stuff to find to build up the lore and Dunwall and whatever.
    Of course, although sadly sometimes I feel (wrongly) like I'm wasting my time reading some of the random books. It's an awesome setting with really in-depth lore, factors which go a long way to making me love a game.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Battle Front for Xbox and it fucking sucked. Does anyone have it and bought the expansions? Does it make the game less shitty?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a strategy to Eurotruck Simulator 2? I've made around 50k by taking quick jobs. Should I take a loan from the bank now and buy my own truck or what? I don't really know what I'm doing, just doing the quick jobs again and again. I'm so bad at parking.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick jobs are great to start with, try out all the different trucks and see which type you prefer, whether you save up and buy outright or get a loan it doesn't really matter. If you want to have several trucks/drivers then a big loan will be enough to get you set up quite quickly.

Edit: Basically no there isn't any strategy above 'drive about doing stuff and money will happen'.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, cheers. Think I'll go for a loan soon.