Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Flag was incredible.

I was also a big fan of Ass Creed II.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Flag, then Ezio, then..... Syndicate maybe? I liked the Fryes and London was excellent. I never finished Oranges but as I've said I thought its Egypt was absolutely amazing.

3, Rogue (nice idea but I got bored fast) and the original way down the bottom of the rankings for being super dull, not played Unity or Odyssey.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Showdown" mode looks like it has potential. Usually in this type of game once everything goes tits-up or if you need timing that's going to be a pain in real-time you end up having to reload a bunch of times but that looks decent.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to scream spoilers because the game was 8 million years long but people who say Ass Creed stopped being weird need to go from 2 to Origins. You end up walking in on a future mirror image of yourself where you are Hilary Clinton protecting the maguffin from both the Assassins and the Templars because they cant be trusted. At which point you're allowed to choose whether or not to trust Pythagoras.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly can't remember much about the present-day bits in AssCreed since Desmond woke up and it became apparently he was being locked up for being the world's most dangerously boring protagonist.

There aren't many games that you could improve more by taking a way a single aspect of them than by taking away modern characters from an AssCreed game.

In other news I am following up Supraland with Outer Wilds which is a good but odd thing. The twenty minute time loop structure is interesting and I'll be curious to see whether I end up annoying by having to do / explore stuff in stages.

Also I fucking hate the control of that ship, Jesus Christ it's wibbly. I get that it's meant to be wibbly but I still don't like it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, is that Apple of Eden shit still an ongoing concern with Assassins Creed? I stopped at Brotherhood and Desmond seemed only around for the final seconds of the Ezio games. It was cool when the Matrix Egyptian called him by name. It was cool when he stabbed Kristen Bell.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, what it the deal with the modern day BS? I have only played Odyssey, and the game is pretty good, except for the whole time traveling nonsense.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Oh yes, what it the deal with the modern day BS? I have only played Odyssey, and the game is pretty good, except for the whole time traveling nonsense.
    It's some bullshit they added because they thought "baddass assassin dudes vs. evil but also badass Knights Templar dudes" wasn't enough. it doesn't even need the mystical shit, just having it as cool stabby lads in hoods vs cackling political dickheads taking over the world would be absolutely fine.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna lie I feel pretty guilty killing some of these monster I MHW. Like when the poor fucker is limping trying to run away and you just run it down and keep slashing it to bits.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're the real monster, dickhead.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Monster Hunter and found it really boring. The combat isn't very good, and that is basically the entirety of the game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my mates were desperately trying to get me to play at one point but I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started it but haven't touched it since. I'll get to it .... eventually.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to think of a less surprising headline in gaming history than it transpiring G2A profits from crime.

And I'm including "[game] released today" headlines when games come out on their intended release date in that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do keys get stolen in the first place? It's not like nicking a bike.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand (I haven't done a huge amount of reading on the minutiae of this) it's a bit of a misnomer. I think what happens is a lot of these keys are bought using credit card details obtained by fraud, which inevitably gets claimed back and then the key is either unusable or invalidated.

And numerous developers have said that they'd rather people just pirated their game because a pirate isn't directly costing them anything, whereas having to chase this shit up costs them time and money that especially smaller devs don't really have.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    From what I understand (I haven't done a huge amount of reading on the minutiae of this) it's a bit of a misnomer. I think what happens is a lot of these keys are bought using credit card details obtained by fraud, which inevitably gets claimed back and then the key is either unusable or invalidated.
    I find this hard explanation hard to believe, at least for the majority of cases. I've bought quite a few games off G2A and I've never had a key invalidated or known anyone who has. I'm sure it accounts for some of the keys but I don't believe it's most of them.

I thought most of it was just down to abusing variable region pricing, by buying keys in cheap regions (like Eastern European countries) and selling them on since they aren't region locked. Or something like that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I tried Monster Hunter and found it really boring. The combat isn't very good, and that is basically the entirety of the game.
    I think the combat is deeper than it lets on. I'm finding it pretty fun. Maybe I'm just a mong.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've used the key already as most people would I doubt there's much they can do about it, I don't think it's the customer who gets the bad experience broadly speaking or G2A, CD Keys, whoever just wouldn't get as much business. If a high proportion of these transactions ended up causing people bother they wouldn't do it and would pay more. to avoid the bother.

Even if you choose not to believe that G2A are selling stuff that enriches criminals they're still a shithouse company who don't deserve anybody's money as evidenced by about 30 seconds worth of Googling.

If you're going to go to a keyseller, don't, just fucking pirate it.

Or lob your money into a canal if you're determined to pretend you've given something up to get the game.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah I know they are shithouses, it's a long while since I've used them.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G2A manage to be cunts as well as operating a shady, exploitative business. There's plenty of other discount sites out there and endless sales/offers so there's really no excuse.

Webly has it about right, keys are bought with stolen card details and then flogged on G2A. When people get their card bills at the end of the month the fraud is discovered and the transaction charged back. So the crim has his money from selling on G2A and G2A have their cut, while the developer loses the sale and the end user often has their key cancelled.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I think the combat is deeper than it lets on. I'm finding it pretty fun. Maybe I'm just a mong.
    I've got that impression as well (deeper combat, I mean). Each weapon seems to have a pretty extensive moveset. I've always thought Monster Hunter was Dark Soul-ish in that they're games that are hard to get into. It's the kind of game I wouldn't mind having someone ride shotgun just to tell me what I should be doing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People rave about the combat, so I'm sure that I am wrong about it, but it bored me very quickly.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm not keen on the lack of lock on and the fact that some of the hunts will take forever.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick gratification generation init.

The "World" is really amazing when you just spend a while wandering about watching it. The monsters very quickly start to feel like part of a living eco-system with their own 'personalities'. E.g. Anjanath is a fucking cunt. Reminds me a bit of Shadow of Mordor which is a cracking game (shame they turned the orcs into cartoon-faced mongs for the sequel).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Quick gratification generation init.
    Surely Shinners is older than you?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, I'm not poking this fancy dinosaur in the tail for 30 minutes for the privilege to be told I've failed. Gratification doesn't come into it. I want to know if I'm making progress. I reviewed Daymare 1998 and that game finishes with the longest scrap with a big nasty I've had the displeasure of watching. It's the kind of fight that makes you wonder if you're doing something wrong.

I'm after feedback.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kids today.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely Shinners is older than you?
    Well I meant us as a generation, but yes I think he is older than me :P

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered another thing about Ocarina of Time that slightly miffs me. Side stuff with very little to go on. I mean, I'll find this woman's dog for her but she's not giving me a description or anything. And she gets very mad when the white or brown terrier I bring her is not her brown or white terrier. There's probably a gold one on a rooftop somewhere. The kind of distinguishing features a person would find useful on a 'find this shit for me' quest.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time I want to buy a game tell me I’m a cunt and to give my head a wobble.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can do.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Can do.
    You can just keep regularly doing it anyway.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arkham Asylum is good fun even though I'm shit at the combat and generally faff about. I'm not really exploring about either focusing on the main mission so I'm sure I could do a lot more rappelling around and failing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me quite a long time to grasp that the key to the combat in that game (at least as far as I can tell) is to use the jump button to keep extracting yourself from the fight and then swooping back in. Because it keeps the combo going. As long as you direct a punch towards somebody else after you land, he just glides back across screen and rejoins the action. Rinse and repeat where necessary. Then you can start more consistently working the instant takedown moves you can learn in to thin the crowd. That was a real "eureka" moment for me, because I hardly used the jump dodge up to that point. I just stayed mostly in place trying to constantly time my blocks perfectly and quite often getting pummelled.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I ever did that. I would just direct the next hit to somebody more distant if I was about to get jumped.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it Alex's way in Arkham City. Jump dodge - a few punches - jump dodge. Rinse and repeat.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I ever did that. I would just direct the next hit to somebody more distant if I was about to get jumped.
    This was my tactic.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Next time I want to buy a game tell me I’m a cunt and to give my head a wobble.
    Not feeling GTA5?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s too hard for me. Took me hours to figure out how not to get killed in the tutorial bit in the snow at the start and I then binned it when I couldn’t keep up with the lad in the car after.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opening bit is actually not very easy, the graveyard(?) has lots of targets and they're very keen on flanking. Not exactly what you want when you're trying to get to grips with controls etc. Are you using a controller? If so make sure auto aim is on, you can just pop in and out of cover then and it should snap to the nearest target.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was playing on the Xbox One but it took me ages to figure out the suggested controls as they’re tiny when they pop up in the corner of the screen. I had to figure out that the dot icons meant the cross control pad directions before I was able to do it.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with it. It’s a really good game.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least stick around for Lamar.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news I am following up Supraland with Outer Wilds which is a good but odd thing. The twenty minute time loop structure is interesting and I'll be curious to see whether I end up annoying by having to do / explore stuff in stages.
    The answer is "sometimes." I'd say 95% of your deaths aren't annoying because you know they're going to happen and you've taken the risk to explore something new know you're going to get trapped or risking a tricky return journey or whatever and when you do begin a new cycle it's so quick to get back into space and do a new thing that it's not annoying. The only times it's annoying to me are that there are a couple of places that it's a bit of a faff to get to. I've been using a stopwatch on my phone to time each cycle so I know how much time I have, so sometimes if I've done a thing and only have a few minutes I'll just find somewhere nice to watch the supernova, but using the timer shows me that even for some of the trickier locations unless there is a specific time-related factor in getting there you're only ever normally a couple of minutes away.

The story of the game is fine, in that way where you patch it together yourself but the real winner is the design of the solar system you're in. You've got a comet that slingshots around the sun and you can only get at the core when it's near enough that the ice melts and cracks to let you in. There's a planet with a black hole at its core and ramshackle settlements built on the underside of the crust which crashes into the whole toward the end of the cycle, a planet that's basically a series of wormholes, etc. and there are a couple of others too. It's satisfying once you start to work out, "Right, if I want to see x on planet y I need to do something else for ten minutes until thing z changes so I can get at the right area" and plan each cycle around it.

I think I must be near the end now assuming I can work out how to progress.

Also I fucking hate the control of that ship, Jesus Christ it's wibbly. I get that it's meant to be wibbly but I still don't like it.
    Turns out I was making life harder than it needed to be because I didn't know you could autopilot to distant planets.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outer Wilds is finished and excellent. Had to use a walkthrough for a couple of bits near the end for a couple of reasons:
    1) Some of the puzzles or logical steps just weren't really for the way my brain works. I'd have probably get there eventually but I'd have got annoyed far sooner.
    2) There was one glaring thing that I'd missed despite appearing to have the story pretty much in place according to the little log thing. I've no idea if the game would have eventually said "Listen up, dipshit, you've not done [the thing]" or what but I had no inkling that I'd missed something. I'm putting that on me and not the game though because it was a pretty dumb thing not to have managed.

Great game though and a nice ending to it too, if a slightly underwhelming one maybe.

Going full other end of the scale next with AssCreed Odyssey.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five new characters coming to Street Fighter.

That means five new matchups where I will have zero clue what to do.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just mash the buttons at random

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I do.