Page 140 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 7,000 of 8609

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got Ghost of Tshushima recently.

Haven't played too much but I'm enjoying it. Visually it's great and I like that it's trying to tell a story, feel like they've largely nailed the samurai combat too although the default dodge seems pretty weak.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a thing I hate about the PS5. When you're streaming with a headset and mic on, the mic is muted by default.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you inadvertently do a silent stream?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least twice.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole streams??

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. On the PS4, the mic is on and raring to go. I'm still in that way of thinking.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smooth.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Microsoft just bought Activision Blizzard.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, that's a biggie.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CoD is back

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed too. Absolutely huge acquisition. I think the only other bigger one they could have possibly got would have been EA.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pffft. I’m not convinced.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's bigger for Activision I'd say. They were starting to snowball recently since the work conditions/abuse coming to light. Selling up and getting rid of all the higher ups was their only out really.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those higher ups will have trousered an absolute fortune over this.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not even taking this as a chance to boot Bobby Kotick out the door, the absolute cunt.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70 billion seems like an absolutely mental price tag.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Traded BF2042 into GAME today. They give you 20% on top if you have a reward card at the minute, so it got me over £30 back. Turned it straight into Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2(crap name). Looks my kind of single player snipe and stealth at your own pace kind of deal. It also looks very pretty on the PS5.

It's just over £30 new though, so either it's short, or it died on release. More likely the former, but we'll see. I'm hoping it'll kick start me into a run of completing games. The PlayStation hasn't been used much since just before Christmas and there's still a few games I shamefully have not even touched.

Played some of this and it's a good experience. The map is split into "regions" and you complete objectives as "contracts" inside each region, with bonus challenges to earn money and unlock points. For example, kill bad guy X with an explosion instead of just shooting him.

The unlock points go into your skill tree. The money you can spend on extra gadgets, new rifles or attachments for them.

A bit of a pet peeve is that you can't alter your loadout once you enter a region, without losing the things you've collected along the way. Annoying as my secondary is quite loud and I'm in an area deep into the 2nd region in which my sniper rifle isn't too useful.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    They're not even taking this as a chance to boot Bobby Kotick out the door, the absolute cunt.
    Think IGN jumped the gun on that, seems like he will be out once the acquisition completes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played through Far Cry 5 recently. Thought it was okay. I finished 3, and abandoned 4 pretty early on years ago, but saw 5 through to completion. I thought the setting was a bit boring.

'New Dawn' was included with it. Seems pretty short, which suits me.

I'm waiting on the Hitman trilogy to appear on Gamepass on the 20th, now. I've always liked the idea of them more than I've liked the actual games that I've tried in the series, but I'll give it another go.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a very little bit of Bioshock Infinite last night.

I'm not 100% certain because they're being very subtle about it but I think some of these people might be racist!

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I certainly feel inadequate.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried a bit of Unpacking last night while the United game was on. It's not much of a game but as a slightly zen activity to occupy the part of my brain that doesn't want to give my full attention to watching Manchester United it did the job.

Also did some more Bioshock Infinite. It's decent so far and fortunately Elizabeth seems quite likeable. Not sure how I feel about making the mad racists so cartoonishly OTT but Bioshock gonna Bioshock, I suppose.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windjammers 2 out today. Oh my.

EDIT: It is on gamepass, nice.
    Last edited by Pepe; 20-01-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Windjammers 2 out today. Oh my.

EDIT: It is on gamepass, nice.
    It is good. I am not.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I even remember the original.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me neither, tbh.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I thought your ing at it coming out was because you were a fan of the first.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, just because I knew that it was coming out and was interested after playing the beta for a little bit.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I ended up watching some bloke on youtube talking about RUNESCAPE, which made me remember the time I got absolutely scammed out of some rare item (ranger boots) in a trade for stuff that was worth far less (some black trimmed armour). Even then as an idiot who hadn't even started his GCSEs, I figured out I'd been proper had about 10 minutes later.

Just looked up how much the boots are worth, and it's 50 fucking million gold. I mean, I'm sure an experienced player could probably grind that in a weekend, and I've logged in for roughly half an hour every 2-3 years since about 2009, but I still can't help but feel a smaller version of what I feel when I remember the ~£100 of bitcoin I had in 2015.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to start Resident Evil 5 in my effort to retire the PS3 this year. Sheva's a waste of ammo. Every box of handgun ammo I hand her feels like a mistake, so far.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Played some of this and it's a good experience. The map is split into "regions" and you complete objectives as "contracts" inside each region, with bonus challenges to earn money and unlock points. For example, kill bad guy X with an explosion instead of just shooting him.

The unlock points go into your skill tree. The money you can spend on extra gadgets, new rifles or attachments for them.

A bit of a pet peeve is that you can't alter your loadout once you enter a region, without losing the things you've collected along the way. Annoying as my secondary is quite loud and I'm in an area deep into the 2nd region in which my sniper rifle isn't too useful.
    Finished this today. It's quite a fun and well polished little game.

It doesn't mess around into kidding you that it has an important story that you need to follow. There's just enough of one in pre-mission briefings that you know why you're shooting a specific bad guy.
    There's some replay-a-bility(?) there for those that like a challenge. For example there's certain long shot contracts you can just shoot the one guy you need and be done, but there's challenges, so for example killing everyone in a crowded village without detection.

The sniping is very satisfying in it. Having to adjust your scope and account for wind etc for each kill at extreme ranges, only to nail a crisp headshot is very rewarding.

Unfortunately it is very short as I feared. There are 6/7 regions to memory and each one will take you 30mins to an hour depending on how you want to approach it. Once you fully upgrade Raven and his gear though these missions become even easier.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying AC Valhalla but when you kill one of the cult guys this time and have to confirm the kill it does an oddly graphic slo-mo of your blade piercing internal organs. I'm not overly squeamish but it feels a bit much, like that sniper game where you can shatter someone's testicles if you're accurate enough. Slowly turning into my dad, disapproving of all this stuff and whatever passes for so-called music these days.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair Asscreed has never been about gore in that way so I'd also think that seems a bit out of place for the series.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really surprised me, you do chop heads off in this but it's like a satisfying lop and off it pops which is more cartoony than anything, just this one thing that seems gratuitous. Never occurred to me that this kind of thing bothered me but I never enjoyed the same kind of stuff in Mortal Kombat either.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I might be done with Resident Evil 5 already. Sheva won't use grenades. She'll pick everything up but she only fires bullets.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a second hand copy of Resi 5 when I got my PS3 and then never, ever mustered the enthusiasm to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    It really surprised me, you do chop heads off in this but it's like a satisfying lop and off it pops which is more cartoony than anything, just this one thing that seems gratuitous. Never occurred to me that this kind of thing bothered me but I never enjoyed the same kind of stuff in Mortal Kombat either.
    The Mortal Kombat stuff I could have a laugh at because again, it's quite cartoony, but when they're trying to do 'realistic' schlock for no special reason I'm never really into that. Doesn't offend me or anything it's just not my cup of tea and never really has been.

Even playing Soldier of Fortune as a teen the initial "lol look at how violent it is!" novelty was soon replaced by a feeling of "What's the point?"

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Particularly as graphics get more lifelike it stands out. I don't know if it's always been there but in FIFA 21 I noticed they've added an animation for a player to clear out their nostrils, I'm hoping they never get too much into the injury side and it just stays with a player holding their shoulder. No Dave Busst needed, EA

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sycho Sid story mode in WWE 2k22.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like all "kill-animations" it gets a bit old after a while (and somewhat incongruent when you are doing raids and castle battles and there's like tons of fighting going around but Eivor chooses to prioritise mashing someones head in a couple of extra times as the foes around kindly wait their turn).

But still, it's quite satisfactory.

How far along are you? I've just dealt with Halfdan up in Eurvicshire.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last thing I've done is with Soma where you have to work out which of her inner circle betrayed her, which I got horrendously wrong but she didn't seem to mind. No idea how far that is but I'm getting into the setting more and more now

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I bought a second hand copy of Resi 5 when I got my PS3 and then never, ever mustered the enthusiasm to play it.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with it. I could sell it on for next to nowt but it's got a nice steelbook with a making of DVD. It'd be a better game if it wasn't made in the era of 'CO-OP EVERYWHERE!' Give Sheva infinite ammo and better aim and you'll probably have a decent game. And it would be nice if she didn't just grab everything on site. What are you going to do with two red herbs, you mare?

Apparently it's easy to dupe items in that so I'll probably scum my way through it.
    Last edited by Shindig; 26-01-2022 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Still don't know quite how I feel about the reveals at the end but on the whole I've enjoyed it. There are some slightly slog-y stretches throughout and some stuff that I wouldn't have done but I'd say it'll end up being more memorable to me than Bioshock 2 for the most part. It does feel like Elizabeth's costume change halfway through was because somebody involved saw the progress so far and said "Is this a video game or not? Show us her tits ffs."

Bioshock 2 might still have the best combat though.

I'll do the Burial at Sea DLC then I've no idea what's next after that.... probably something I have wishlisted on Gamepass.

EDIT: Being a Big Daddy (and convincingly) in Bioshock 2 is also mechanically more fun than being A Bloke With A Past. And it has better weapons with the drill and the stake gun and all the traps and stuff, I liked the change of pass in that where you're setting up to defend an area / set up a kill zone for a Big Daddy / Sister.

I probably just about prefer Infinite's powers but honestly none of the Vigors / Plasmids are that exciting in terms of what they do (rather than in concept) in any of the games. I think the likes of Dhshonored do that sort of thing better.
    Last edited by Ian; 27-01-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MORE THOUGHTS (I've no idea who on here even has strong feelings about Bioshock so I might just be talking to myself but whatever) because now I've slept on it and subsequently woken up there's more stuff coming to me.

Best things about each game:
    Bioshock 1 - Best setting, best opening, more mystery (early, at least), best antagonist (?), best horror, most memorable individual moments (e.g. slicer with a pram, some of the setups for scares, etc.), clearest vision of what it wants to be.
    Bioshock 2 - Big Daddy stuff per my previous post, best combat and weapons (see previous post)
    Binfinite - Elizabeth's character arc is great, most memorable sequences (Comstock house, the Slate stuff, etc.), best for mixing up environments to keep it fresh, best powers (maybe, but it's a low bar as we've already discussed)

Two things about Infinite that I got distracted away from because I was trying to figure out the Elizabeth / Booker stuff but had been bugging me early on: having now finished it it really doesn't justify the way it deals with the cartoonish racism you see throughout. The one black significant character gets killed off to stop her shooting a child and the rest all just turn unquestioningly evil. The point is obviously "well if you given the downtrodden the revolution they want then bad things might happen" but nothing interesting is done with that, it's not explored at all. It's just "okay all the blacks and Irish are evil now too."

The other is that vigors are just a thing nobody comments on in this which feels jarring despite a) the 'what are we doing to ourselves for power?' questions of the first game in particular and the body-horror animations the Vigors give you. Coming up to finding the electric one it seems like they're going to dive into this more but nope, Booker happily just chugs them bad boys down and becomes a super-powered magic man.

Same goes for the Handymen who are such a pale imitation of Big Daddies when they didn't need to be it's like if a small studio were doing a knockoff Bioshock game. I think Infinite just isn't as interested in exploring the world like Bioshock and to a lesser extent 2 were, it's laser focused on the main narrative thread after a bit of early window-dressing.

I think on the whole Infinite would have fared better, criticism-wise, were it not called Bioshock. If it was just this big shooter with open-ish areas and powers and zip-rails and whatnot it might not feel less like a shooter that wants to be Bioshock. It might be that with it having the more memorable moments than 2 that as my memories fade of all of it I'll say Infinite is my favourite of the three, I don't know.
    Last edited by Ian; 27-01-2022 at 09:01 AM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about the Handymen. When it comes to big enemies in that game, my mind immediately goes to the animatronic George Washingtons.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Handymen are not even slightly interesting. There's a very early suggestion that they might be but nope. They're just big bullet sponges who bull-rush you constantly.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last thing I've done is with Soma where you have to work out which of her inner circle betrayed her, which I got horrendously wrong but she didn't seem to mind. No idea how far that is but I'm getting into the setting more and more now
    Quite early still then. The game is absolutely immense. I read the map itself is smaller than Odyssey but it doesn't feel that way.

I think the story quests are also really many and long.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started Binfinite's Burial at Sea DLC. It's nice to see more pre-fall Rapture, and then you get chucked into what may as well be a level from the first two and it's a bit "Oh..." Seems okay so far but I need to keep reminding myself I'm not as overpowered as I was by the end of Infinite.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Binfinite DLC has a really annoying habit of having you fight through the same areas multiple times, and spawning enemies behind you out of thin air after you pick up a new / plot item.

Like I did a bit there where I'd got a turret in the room behind me so cool, I think, I'm free to explore.

Find a new gun, pick it up, turn around and the turret's gone but there's four or five enemies now standing there waiting for me. Stop doing that, game.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another RE5 boss and Sheva's not making it easy. Again, she's picking up solitary red herbs and clogging her inventory up. On the plus side, I think I've found a way to get infinite health. Providing your partner can resuscitate you, I don't think you can bleed out. Sheva never leaves my side (because she's thick). Also, she uses green herbs immediately so any heals she picks up just get fucking wasted on very little gain.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ending to Binfinite Burial at Sea episode 1 is fun, and the apparent pivot toward stealth for episode 2 is interesting.