User Tag List

Page 139 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,950 of 8610

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just ended when I tried to get an accurate count of footprints in the mud next to the body hanging from the tree? The dice roll failed and it said "cop gives up career" or something. What the fuck.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some game overs for weird shit but not one that abrupt.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paradise Killer finished. I like that while you can gauge if you got the right answers by how the accused react, etc. the game doesn't explicitly ever say "You accused x, this was right" or "they were wrongly convicted" or anything, and there's enough evidence you gather that I think you could definitely 'prove' the wrong people did it. There's one character in particular who I THINK I may not have pinned their part in events on them when I should have but they were proven and found guilty for other parts so it didn't ultimately make much difference but I like that there's just that hint of not being certain about everything, even if you've scoured the island as thoroughly as I think I have and left no loose ends in your evidence book.

Great game.

I was contemplating Hitman 3 next but I might do Hollow Knight first.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ian How long do you reckon a completion of Horizon: Zero Dawn might take? It's on my LIST OF SHAME and the new one is out in just over a month(that's come around fast).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think including Frozen Wilds I was 70 hours. That was probably sort of mid-level in terms of completionism because some of the activities I couldn't be arsed with.

If you just mainlined the story you could do it quicker. Have a look on How Long To Beat see what the averages are.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started Arse Creed: Egypt yesterday. Pretty enjoyable so far in terms of setting. Bow combat is a decent addition but the eagle thing is a bit annoying.

Main gripe: they really don't bother with setting up the story too much at the start. Feels like starting to watch a series at episode 3 or something

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story in Oranges is very meh.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very much a non-story really. It reminded me of the first game of the series which, given it's been 10 years and 8 other installments between the two, is quite damning.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 09-01-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing which is a bit odd is that the background people speak in the native language so you miss out on a lot of the audio scenery. I swear in older games you'd have the Italians speaking in English? Or at least a mix of languages

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm, learn foreign? Git gud scrub.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got The Bangles on

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got Valhalla so I'm an hour or two into that. Nice that you leave Norway and head straight for the Midlands with all the olde worlde names like Snotinghamscire, Ledecestre and Tamworth.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started TWO games after finishing Paradise Killer.

Hollow Knight - Seems decent so far. I could live without the Souls-y "you've got to get back to your body to recover your shit" thing but that's my only real gripe so far. I'll be interested to see if the story comes to much because I still don't really know why my character's there yet.

Hitman 3 - I'd installed this ready for played after Hollow Knight but then found myself unexpectedly at a loose end yesterday afternoon and decided poking about a new Hitman level would be a fine way to spend that. Dubai is fine though feels a bit limited by the standards of modern Hitman. Dartmoor is ace, letting you do a locked-room murder mystery as a PI whose clobber you've nicked meaning you can get the 'costume that takes you (almost) anywhere" clothes within the first few minutes of the mission and get your Knives Out on. I suspect the other stories on this level won't be nearly as interesting but that one's so memorable it doesn't really matter but given you're not allowed to go anywhere without a disguise it could be fun to try one of the suit-only runs I see in the challenges for these levels.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Dubai seems tiny compared to all the other maps. I bounced off Hollow Knight pretty quick. I should give that a second shot.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give it another go and properly nose about because it gives you a mission story super early so I just went along with it but I think I still saw most of the level. It is very shiny though and I appreciated that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite enjoying playing Arse Creed Egypt as a mix of a) stealth assassin/archer and b) occasionally just stoving people's heads in with a big fucking hammer Also fucked up some hippos.

Lots of things seem pretty difficult if you're under-levelled so you can't really chance your arm at taking on stuff too far out of that

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you clambered up any of the main landmarks yet?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet. Only just got out of the starter city into the second area

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally soloed the last monster in MHW. Only like 350 hours played. Worth.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've had my fill of Hollow Knight. It has that Souls-loop of if you die you have to go recover your body and if you die before you do all that you lose all the currency you had on you and I just can't be arsed with worrying about exploring or taking on fights in case I fuck up again trying to recover my shit when I'm a bit away from a save point. I get it, I can tell it's good, it's just not for me.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was probably turned me off it. That loop has a time and place and it's usually in something explicitly Souls. I'm playing through Sekiro again and there's no reason to be penalised for death in that game. You lose a percentage of money and experience upon death. There's no corpse run. Money can be used to by stuff you don't really need and experience is just used for skills that don't really play back into your build either. It's just there because From Software can't get out of the habit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a particularly grating one there because I died with a load of currency on me somewhere I hadn't got a map of yet so I had no idea where to find a save point or fast travel to go and spend my money. Died to a boss I'd not seen before so to recover my not-souls I'd have needed to go fight the boss and do repeatedly until I beat it. But aha, I thought, I have this thing that I can exchange with a woman in the starting area to recover my body/soul/whatever! And then died trying to navigate this annoying bit where you're trying to navigate a series of small-ish platforms AND fight off a series of swooping flying dickheads who take about six hits to kill. Annoying.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I think that Valhalla is probably the second best Arse Creed game but it also doesn't feel all that much like an Arse Creed game.

There aren't a huge amount of synchronization points (ones that look amazing are almost non-existent too), Eivor/the woman feel clunky when free running/climbing and it seems like it's not all that geared towards assassinations.

I think these are actually good things. What's the fun in climbing up big pillars and...looking at the view. It becomes a necessary evil to fast travel, basically.

Making it more like a normal RPG and less about stealth (who the fuck cares about stealth) is an improvement IMO.

That said, there's this weird situation where it wants you to have an option of doing stealth, but at least to me it doesn't ever seem like a proper option - it's more pick off 4-5 guards at most before eventually getting spotted (because whatever you are after is like smack in the middle of a courtyard of a fortress surrounded by 8 guards - how do you sneak up to that exactly?).

It's grown on me as I've gotten more into the story (so easy to just get lost exploring for 3 hours and you would think that's a good thing - but in this game it isn't really).

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Been playing FF7 Remake. Jessie, would.
    Oh yeah

And when I played I also started looking at Tifa in a whole new way.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valhalla does feel very different to Odyssey for me also. The whole series had passed me by but I assumed you play one you've played them all so I've been pleasantly surprised at how different it is despite the obvious similarities

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stealth is the best Maz, you philistine.

Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Valhalla does feel very different to Odyssey for me also. The whole series had passed me by but I assumed you play one you've played them all so I've been pleasantly surprised at how different it is despite the obvious similarities
    In what way? I've not played Valhalla so I'm curious because the reviews I'd read gave the impression it would probably be a 'if you like [previous entry] you'll like this.'

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a newfound spirit of working on the backlog and/or actually completing some games in 2022 I finished Metro 2033 last night.

I mostly enjoyed it. By no means the best shooter in terms of actual gameplay (although it's not bad at all) but it has quite a unique and interesting style I think. The setting, tone and atmosphere were all spot on.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've got two of those buried away in the backlog. I'm very hit and miss with horror-y stuff so it may end up doing nothing for me when I finally got to it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Stealth is the best Maz, you philistine.

In what way? I've not played Valhalla so I'm curious because the reviews I'd read gave the impression it would probably be a 'if you like [previous entry] you'll like this.'
    One of the bigger differences (from Odyssey, which is my only point of reference) I think is you are building up your little settlement as you get to England, and it both helps advance the story and gives you perks. It's quite similar feeling to building up the Keep in DA:Inquisition. And it gives a different "feel" to the main character - he has a village around them. Rather than Kassandra who was much more of a roaming mercenary.

I should say two things:
    - There is a free Add on DLC where you go to Isle of Skye and hang out with Kassandra (who is a time traveller or immortal or something now right) for a short questline which is pretty awesome.
    - Yesterday I did a side-quest called The Prodigy: you stumble upon some bards in a ruin that just want to sing, but this pesky Bishop is preventing them from doing so. Being a man of culture you decide to help them by fighting off the Bishop. As you do so they form a ring around you all shouting "Smack my Bishop! Smack my Bishop!".

And now I love the game for that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many AssCreed players are too young to get the Smack My Bishop joke.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently if you start a fire near him or something similar he calls you a firestarter.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh for fucks sake. May have to restart the whole game now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Mazuurk covers it mainly with the feel of being part of a gang whereas Odyssey you're all over the place on your own. There's a big chance it has a different feel as I'm still early in so the character itself can do less whereas by the time I'd stopped with Odyssey I'd unlocked so many of the abilities and that kind of thing.

Speaking of Odyssey I stopped with that when the main storyline with the sibling finished but looking it up I must have done 25% of the game at most. Surely nobody actually completes these things?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's plenty of completionists out there. I remember reading posts from (several even) people in Mass Effect: Andromeda that spent hours trying to deplete a mining zone that was bugged, which doesn't even count towards the in-game completion rates.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God of War now out on PC, anyone who hasn't played it on PS4 should treat themselves.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably will in about two years when it's at a price I deem suitable.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought God of War on the PS4 recently but couldn't get into it. I tried just after finishing Middle Earth: Shadow of War and couldn't get to grips with change in combat. It felt kinda clunky in comparison.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traded BF2042 into GAME today. They give you 20% on top if you have a reward card at the minute, so it got me over £30 back. Turned it straight into Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2(crap name). Looks my kind of single player snipe and stealth at your own pace kind of deal. It also looks very pretty on the PS5.

It's just over £30 new though, so either it's short, or it died on release. More likely the former, but we'll see. I'm hoping it'll kick start me into a run of completing games. The PlayStation hasn't been used much since just before Christmas and there's still a few games I shamefully have not even touched.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Mazuurk covers it mainly with the feel of being part of a gang whereas Odyssey you're all over the place on your own. There's a big chance it has a different feel as I'm still early in so the character itself can do less whereas by the time I'd stopped with Odyssey I'd unlocked so many of the abilities and that kind of thing.

Speaking of Odyssey I stopped with that when the main storyline with the sibling finished but looking it up I must have done 25% of the game at most. Surely nobody actually completes these things?
    I didn't complete everything in Odyssey, but I made a point of killing all Cultists, making sure I'd visited all islands, and I believe done the main questline on each island, killed all mythical monsters (like the Minotaur) and whatever it is you do around the Isu in that game (eventually I went and met Pythagoras and around that time I quit).

I didn't do The Fate of Atlantis though, as by that point I was a bit stuffed with it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did another playthrough of Sekiro and my opinion of it hasn't really changed. I was surprised how better I'd gotten at parrying but it's a game that lives and dies by that mechanic. If you're not good at timing it, you're not going anywhere. To the point where some bosses and mini-bosses exist solely to check your timing. I've said how I feel the Dragonrot and penalty for death is bloody useless and doesn't need to be there. When it happens in Souls, you've at least got a corpse run to bail yourself out. Or rings that give you a get out of jail free card.

One of my biggest annoyances is how the game treats multi-stage bosses. I remember playing through the first time and thinking, "That meter says there's one phase to this but that's likely to be bullshit." It ceases to be a surprise when it's pulled on almost every boss. From Software seemed to have got on a huge obsession with bosses like this and I really wish they moved away from it. In Bloodborne, it works because that game treated it as a spectacle that didn't waste your time. At most, you've got two phases to work with and won't take you 10+ minutes to fail. It's a lot easier to swallow than slowly chipping away at Owl's posture bar or dealing with a four-phase final boss. And, if you wanted to speed Souls bosses up, you had options to deal more damage, survive longer, etc. In Sekiro, you have no stat sheet. Beating bosses quicker via consumables and better timing on your parries is all you realistically have.

Stealth is kind of half-arsed and, whilst you can skip encounters with it, I'm mainly using it to strip mini-bosses of their back-up. It's a process to do all that again, should I fail the fight. On top of that, your stealth is fairly basic. You can kind of hide out of sight, kind of kill enemies close together without either of them spotting you and you can leash encounters entirely just by running away. It's very gamey and your skill tree doesn't really play into it. Sekiro's still a good game but I find the people enamoured with it are absolutely taking shite. It's not quality over quantity.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I go wrong choosing between Outer Worlds and Red Dead 2 for an open world shooty game?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Can I go wrong choosing between Outer Worlds and Red Dead 2 for an open world shooty game?
    I'd say RDR is miles better but given your love for Mass Effect, OW might be more your jam. I bounced off it, even though it's kinda Fallout-y. RDR2 was magnificent

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Duke says, Outer Worlds is more along the lines of a Bethesda-y type thing (though I actually got on okay with it.)

Finished Hitman 3. Some top notch levels in there but the end is Absolution-level bobbins.

Good stuff though and there's one mission that feels like such a Bond set up I look forward to seeing what they do with the license.
    Last edited by Ian; 16-01-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, is RDR2 much like the first one? GTA V with horses, no stats or character system to speak of beyond whatever version of the 'collect 10 bear dicks' tasks they put in?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's story-driven rather than an RPG. It's a great story though and the world-building is top notch

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definitely try it at some point. I'll be curious to see if it leaves me cold as most Rockstar games do.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read Dead Redemption might be the last one I truly liked. My fear is that RDR2 could wind up feeling bloated by comparison.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out I don't have the patience for Spelunky 2.

Bioshock Infinite next.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This God of War PC port is fucking outstanding, one of the best console to PC ports ever. I yarred it as fuck paying for it again but what a triumph of a game. 4k with DLSS and high/ultra settings, smooth as.

Just buy it Ian or so help me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not the boss of me.