Page 146 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,300 of 8636

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I just can't see a reason to get onto the Premium tier. Unless there's some retro games in there you plan on playing through like today, then there seems little point.

Extra is where I reckon most will settle on. You get the game catalogue and for now new titles(Stray) seem to be coming to that too.
    Problem for me with the classic titles is that anything PS3 and older is streamed rather than downloaded, and if when I tried it on now is anything to go by, it just doesn't work very well.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least this will bring more old titles to the store. I've grabbed my PS5 version of Abe's Oddysee. Already had it on PS3 so I could grab it for free.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally have a dedicated GPU (a 970 from like 2016, lol). First time I can actually sort of play proper games on a desktop computer since the halcyon days of playing battlefield 2 on medium-low settings in 2006.

Any general recommendations lads? As mentioned, I used to love BF2, and some of the Xbox ones from about 10 years ago, but I get the impression the new ones are a bit crap. So a squad based FPS that is fairly forgiving of someone with my cretinous reaction speed would be cool. But pretty much anything tbf.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're bound to find something in the summer steam sale.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 970 in my system. Used to be a decent little card but time hasn't been so kind to it. Provided you have a decent CPU and 8GB+ of RAM in your system you should be able to play Battlefield 4 with reasonable quality.

I wouldn't touch the newer ones that that unless you can upgrade really. Even so BF4 is still the best one they've done since the days of Bad Company 2 and BF3.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished the main story on GTA5 last night (woo!) so will make a choice on carrying on Ass Creed t'Egypt or RDR2. GTA really is just a fun game you can pick up at any point, really perfect when I'm such a flakey game player.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one, I do need to go back to GTAV. I think I got a PS5 version for a tenner earlier in the year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it perfect for just farting about in for 20 minutes here and there, they've crafted a great little world that still holds up now for me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only bought it this year after realising I had never played it and it's just an outstanding game. I'm tempted to enter the online world but it will probably make me resent life.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is pretty outstanding but when you have to learn to fly with Michael it can fuck right off.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall the flying school in V which means it must've been better than the one in San Andreas.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One I remember being a pain is where you have to jump a bike onto a moving train with Trevor which was definitely in tribute to the ballache in SA, although nowhere near as annoying. No Zero RC missions either thankfully.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can skip them if you balls it up too

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disappointed Father Simulator 2(ish) has a release date of November 9th.

Collectors edition comes with a Mjolnir too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bank balance wont like me for it but I'm buying that collectors edition.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably wait until they give it away on PS Plus. I thought that first one had a good story but the combat was a bit meh. I've the the same problem with The Last of Us, to be honest.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my first Ultrawide monitor arriving tomorrow. 200Hz.

Never played above 60Hz before. Fucking stoked lads, bought a shit ton of games in anticipation. God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Doom Eternal DLC, Hellblade, Red Dead 2, and installed a ton of others (Cyberpunk, Wolfenstein 2, Hitman 3 etc).

Which means I'll end up playing Slay the Spire, as ever.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going from 60 to 120 was mega for me. Playing on 200 sounds insane.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When people used to minmax counter strike to get the lowest FPS there was always some nerd counter arguing that human eyes are only capable of seeing so many frames per second, so what’s the benefit of more Hz?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to properly describe it without your eyes actually seeing it for yourself, but the image refreshes twice as fast on 120 against 60, so in theory if you're playing an FPS and someone moves across your line of sight, you will see them quicker the higher refresh rate you have.

The higher you go the more buttery smooth all kinds of movement are in games.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    When people used to minmax counter strike to get the lowest FPS there was always some nerd counter arguing that human eyes are only capable of seeing so many frames per second, so what’s the benefit of more Hz?
    Its more about how its rendered on the screen. Its shown in competitive FPS that higher refresh rate can show enemies quite a bit before lower refresh rate as its rendering more frames per second. It also smooths out the experience, aiming, movement etc.

I've just had to drop res from 4k to 1440. Ended up with 70 inches of screen on my fucking desk now.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me how did i ever game at 60fps, this is insane

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 240hz monitor. It all looks the same to me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my games having a 60fps option on PS5 means I can never now go back, but I don't think I'd want to go any further as it would make real life feel like stop motion.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going from 60hz to 144hz is a huge difference. Going from 144hz to higher is less appreciable to my eyes.

You can notice a big difference between 144hz and 60hz even just browsing, everything is so much smoother.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most things run around 100-150 for me. Doom Eternal is just so well coded.

Beauty of G-Sync, no tearing until it drops below like 40.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love to see a 4K 144hz monitor in full action with my own eyes.

Though I do imagine going back to not having that afterwards would be quite the let down.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I have a 240hz monitor. It all looks the same to me.
    Yeah there are few things more wasted on me than bigger, fancier screens.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Televisions haven't really wowed me since I got my first 1080p screen. I'll make the jump eventually but I've barely seen 4K in action.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Higher resolution doesn't do much for me honestly, but going from 60hz to 144hz is night and day.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    skate. It's going to be free-to-play. Microtransactions will be limited to cosmetics and 'conveniences'. People are annoyed.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been 6 and a half years since I put this current PC together and it's starting to show a little bit of age. Probably needs a de-dust and re-paste more than anything, but I have the funds for building an upgrade.
    Looking through and yikes prices are a mess. We're paying more in £ over here than the Americans are in $ for most of your main components. For example, one of the top GPUs on the AMD side is the 6800XT. In the US that's $700 while here it's £750.

I knew it had got bad through COVID but I didn't realise it was that bad.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been bad for years, to be honest. First it was crypto miners taking the stock, now it's probably chip shortages.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The yanks seem to be now on the receiving end of the crypto mass sell off, so I'm hoping that doesn't take too long to sail over here. Nvidia also seem to be gearing up for their 4000 series launching in Q3, so hopefully there's some sales.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    The yanks seem to be now on the receiving end of the crypto mass sell off, so I'm hoping that doesn't take too long to sail over here. Nvidia also seem to be gearing up for their 4000 series launching in Q3, so hopefully there's some sales.
    The second hand market over here is already feeling the benefits of the crypto sell-off I understand. Deals to be had.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah just you're gambling a bit if you buy an ex-miners GPU. The thing could be on its last legs when it gets to you.

From what I understand, prices over here tend to follow a few weeks after. So my eyes are out for one new, in a week or two. There is now stock of 3060's readily available coming in around £370(which is still crazy when you think about it). I expect the top range stuff will see the big price drops though, not so much what I'm really after.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing (as in its just moving a cat about, nowt else) Stray.

Stunning looking thing, wonderfully chill. Optimised ridiculously well on PC.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave it an hour yesterday and really liked it, I'm hoping it's a relatively short game as it could outstay its welcome otherwise. Plus I've only got a week to complete it thanks to the PS+ Premium trial

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its about 5-7 hours long I believe, 5 if you just mainline it, 7 if you wanna collect a few things. I've got all day today so just gonna finish it.

Its ridiculously simple but just a joy guiding the cat around.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably give that a go at some point.

Needed a break from RDR2 because there's only so many times I can do the exact same story quest and the side distraction stuff is all a bit pointless unless you just like being in that world so I'm playing Shotgun King (tricky, fun) and Citizen Sleeper as a bit of a palate cleanser. Citizen Sleeper often doesn't have a lot to it and I think I might be making it a bit easy by actually playing it and getting all the upgrades but it's well written, looks nice and is quite relaxing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on some little strategy game called The Cyclist Tactics. Good fun, plays like a board game basically.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been playing Yakuza 1. As with all these games the intro hours are incredibly slow. Seems like an interesting story though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably should revisit the earlier ones but they keep recapping the story every new game.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I am on some little strategy game called The Cyclist Tactics. Good fun, plays like a board game basically.
    Wow, I thought FM was like playing spreadsheets. Now this really is.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Citizen Sleeper. Good stuff. Any worry about resources is basically gone about halfway through and it feels like they're not expecting you to actually play the game properly. Like a lot of games these days I guess where if you fully engage with it you can end up a bit OP.

Next up I did a bit of Into the Breach for the first time in ages because they've added some new content and it's still mega. Such a perfectly honed thing

And also did a bit if Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion. It's a sort of Zelda-y game I guess. Quite simple but a pleasing game to play and quite funny so far.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's incredible in this day and age that they're still working on a free content update 2 years since their last update. Bravo to them.

I never ended up finishing all the squads on the original, but still have it installed. It's such a well balanced game and satisfying when you get the hang of a new squad. I just struggle to summon the brain power these days.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished up a week's trial of the PS+ Premium thing and it all works very well but the only way I could see myself signing up is if there was a game on there I'd been looking at buying for full price. I read somewhere that the value of everything is offset by the amount of time you'd need to get value out of it which was the case as I'd download something and then give it a few minutes before moving on due to the sheer amount of other things I wanted to try. Netflix all over again as I spend longer in menus than actually watching anything.

Stray and Spiderman Miles Morales are both good and while the streaming worked surprisingly well a lot of the games from PS3 back should be left in rose-tinted nostalgia as they're really too rough now to get on with.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the PS3/360 grittiness that just doesn't hold up. I never expected that era to look old but here we are.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tekken 2 was still playable but Toy Story 2 was the one that really jarred. I remember that being great but my god it's so clunky and unwieldy now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing Road 96 and I love it. What a great little game.