User Tag List

Page 147 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,350 of 8636

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done with Turnip Boy. It's a fun bitesized piece of Zelda-lite.

Made a start on Dead Cells now and enjoying it so far.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to finish Dead Cells. It's good but I was better at it when I had so little unlocked.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I don't imagine I'll ever finish it. Haven't found it too hard yet but this reeks of the sort of game I'll bounce off the difficulty curve eventually.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone bothered with this Stray?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't and I'm not much of a cat person but I will at some point as it does look like my kind of thing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me like something I'll enjoy once and then never think of again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's exactly that yeah, short and sweet but you'll have no reason to go back to it. It's a lovely version of one of those atmospheric walking simulator type games.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Oh I don't imagine I'll ever finish it. Haven't found it too hard yet but this reeks of the sort of game I'll bounce off the difficulty curve eventually.
    I haven't looked at Assist Mode but I'm going to assume you can walk through the game with that. I'm right back into it. I've got no save on this PS5 so I'm back to square one.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished Horizon Forbidden West:

Toggle Spoiler

Now on to Cyberpunk 2077 which apparently has gotten adapted for PS5 now. So far, my impressions are:

- It's coool, like how some of the cities (Omega) of Mass Effect would be if the game was made today.
    - The characters surrounding you at the start seem well done and acted
    - What little I've seen of battle so far has been a bit Mass Effect as well - just like a clunky shooter. I feel like it's missing some VATS mechanic or some such, but maybe that will come.
    - Though I've discovered you can use Swords so will probably go with that.

The biggest problem so far is that it makes my brain hurt, literally. The city in itself is sensory overload - which I suppose is a good thing that's what you want cities in games to be - but I can see it getting tiresome after a while if the environment is just the same all the time. No Skyrim night skies here, exactly (or the serene trekking of Witcher 3 for that matter....). In fact it's a bit like they were blatantly trying to make the antithesis of Witcher 3 (which I get, but then again - why? It's the best game ever).

And on the topic of brain hurting - the menys are absolutely jarring. I sit pretty far from my TV when I play, so reading in the menus is a massive strain on an old mans eyes. It's getting quite bothersome, as the menus are so bloated with seemingly important info. The Map is extremely confusing as well.

Still, I think I'll end up enjoying this in a meaningless, Fallout kind of way (fuck about a lot).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THPS1+2 are on PS Plus this month. And Yakuza 7.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Videogames need to get on board with the idea of letting us climb ladders quickly, where's the harm in me just zipping right up there.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of those things that I reckon gets a little too immersion-breaking compared to the benefit it brings to gameplay.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the 8000 things in each game that do that why not have one be useful.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. How many ladders do you actually climb in a game?

Unless you are playing snakes and ladders.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd put a whole different feel on that ladder climb in MGS3.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disco must have hated Red Dead Redemption 2

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing Dragon Age and at the third attempt I've gotten past the prologue/intro of Inquisition and this is just one of the many things wrong with it. It's quite amazing to see the last really good game they made (Origins) get progressively worse in the sequels as they cut all the interesting bits off and replace them with chores and the illusion of depth.

I stand by the ladder thing though, we're all happily zipping down them in ways in which nobody ever used a ladder but still crawling up them at a painfully slow rate. The ladder in MGS3 serves a purpose, it has narrative significance and it's own song for the occasion, probably the most thought out ladder in gaming.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took me a bit to work out you were talking about actual ladders and not climbing rankings in competitive games.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inquisition has a lot of very good stuff in there but and I enjoyed it a lot on my second playthrough as well but the structure of a lot of the basic gameplay is veeeery MMOy.

DA2 is the most interesting idea of the three but meh.

My thoughts on redoing Inquisition last year condensed:
    I thought Bayek was pretty meh but yeah, I played Odyssey as Kassandra who is excellent.

I'm redoing Dragon Age Inquisition. Still a good game but the regions you travel to still feel a bit MMOey and I think I'd rather each area was roughly the same level rather than having to travel back and forth between different places. It's good though and I like how it handles you controlling the Inquisition, etc. Also credit where it's due for keeping on the Dragon Age-y thing of not being able to be BFFs with all your companions if you're actually playing a consistent character.
    This isn't a thought I remember having the first time but I reckon Dragon Age Inquisition might do the best "that bit at [whatever your base is] where you catch up with all your party members" from any party based RPGs I've played once you get to Skyhold. The party itself isn't as strong as Mass Effect 2 because obviously what is? But it's still good, plus you're in a big castle which has some cosmetic stuff you can change, all your crafting in the one place, merchants, your characters move about sometimes so it feels like they have a little agency of their own plus the occasional other characters turning up, being able to send agents on missions, the bits where you make a judgement over some wrong'un the Inquisition has arrested, etc. It's great.

The actual stuff out in the world is still definitely too MMOey and while I'm able and happy to just switch my brain off and relax for those bits as I run about crossing icons off a list it'd probably be worth suggesting to anybody playing it for the first time to just ignore some of those altogether. But yeah, I'm enjoy it again and it's making me both a little more hyped and a little more optimistic for Dragon Age 4 than I was.
    I, meanwhile, have been very much enjoying the Inquisition story/writing and had forgotten how solid it is. The game itself is still bad at the stage I'm at for wasting your time but at least the later regions you go to are a bit slicker rather than the massive sprawling one you first visit and you kinda get into the rhythm of knowing what stuff to clear off and when to make it easier in yourself. Could really do with a filter for the map though to turn certain markers off.

But anyway, the writing. It carries on the mages and templars stuff well from previous games and unlike the David Cage stuff you've mentioned there it's not just a really naff allegory for something else. Mages are clearly dangerous and are responsible for a lot of the bad shit, but then you set Templars to watch them and basically turn them into addicts to help give them the abilities to fight/hunt mages and that causes all sorts of problems of it's own. On top of which that whole set up is governed by the church so you've got an interesting thing going on with different characters discussing where the issue lies here, are all three parts of it to blame or one of them? Or none? You've got a character who is a former Templar and basically trying to go cold turkey, there's a trans side character who I think is handled quite well (but I acknowledge my own ignorance on this), an interesting thing with a spirit who's accidentally become a person and is learning to deal with that and almost all the characters have at least some interesting twist to their basic outlook when you start digging into it.

All this on top of the more standard 'evil wizard wants to take over the world' thing, and I just did a main story mission which is mostly you trying to do an investigation into an assassination plot while keeping up appearances at a fancy ball. The game is definitely strongest with the more story-focused stuff. I hope the actual stuff you're doing for your average sidequest gets a bit of a rework in DA4.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The combat system in Origins is just so fucking good. I tried one of the others and the fact they took that away just made it unplayable for me.

My favourite combat in any RTS I've ever played.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem with it so far is the combat (which has done well to be worse than the UI, controls, and the movement) which I assume is a fairly prominent part of the game and by extension the character system. I spent quite a while trying to work out where all my abilities were going to go when I started and why I didn't seem to have any stats or anything. Coming almost straight from Origins where you might have 30+ abilities by the end it was rather jarring to find that you get 8 slots (which I guess means each class gets exactly 8 abilities) and you don't get to assign stats or anything. It feels like they took the worst parts of Mass Effect and painted it all in fantasy colours, it remains to be seen if the same illusion of choice exists here as well. The culling of most of the skills makes the combat far more bland, pop the couple of abilities you have and then sit and wait for them to re-charge or for the enemies to be dead once you've convinced your character to actually attack anything. I understand that modern 'Bioware' games are just not built for me but it's still a shame to see them gutting the systems that helped make the first game so interesting.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The combat system in Origins is just so fucking good. I tried one of the others and the fact they took that away just made it unplayable for me.

I could be incredibly boring about how much fun you can have with an Entropy/Spirit mage and how much the combat/skill system lets you engage as much or as little as you really like. You can convince yourself that it's still sort of there in DA2 but they seem to have removed all pretence of tactics in Inquisition, it seems to be an entirely 'action' based game.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post

I must have missed the Assassins Creed StarCraft spin off.

edit: Oh Dragon Age. Still not an RTS.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I must have missed the Assassins Creed StarCraft spin off.

edit: Oh Dragon Age. Still not an RTS.
    RPG*

My bad.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished Firewatch yesterday. Decent enough 4 hours of story with you playing a guy stationed in the forest during the dry season. The atmosphere is compelling but then they kinda just fall off with the ending which was a bit disappointing. I've enjoyed playing this sand Road 96, both games you can dip into without SEETHING.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Firewatch a lot. A perfect "sit and coast through on a Sunday afternoon" sort of thing. If you like that sort of thing Kiko the obvious suggestion is Gone Home and Tacoma is really good too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent - thank you. Hopefully they're on gamepass.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inquisition has a lot of very good stuff in there but and I enjoyed it a lot on my second playthrough as well but the structure of a lot of the basic gameplay is veeeery MMOy.

DA2 is the most interesting idea of the three but meh.

My thoughts on redoing Inquisition last year condensed:
    Having ploughed a fair way into the game I'm in broad agreement about Inquisition. Goodness knows why they decided the first area should be so huge and require such high levels for bits of it, I ran into a level 12 rift at about level 6 which I guess is meant to teach you that you're going to be doing a lot of backtracking (thought you'd cleared an are, well here's a load of shards to look for) it isn't as well gated as some of the other areas. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's probably the worst map, immediately afterwards you go to the little desert area that is a thousand times better, something that size would have been far better to start with. On the whole most of the areas are quite fun to explore and uncover, they've always done a good job of telling little stories through notes and little scenes dotted through the landscape and the landscapes are certainly pretty. The addition of jumping is an odd one, that would suggest they want to encourage exploration but you quickly find that isn't the case, there's a prescribed route for almost everything (until of course there isn't and you do in fact have to Skyrim your way up to some areas) and your reward for deviation is normally an invisible wall or being knocked off something by your companions.

The combat and AI are frankly bizarre, in a lot of fights your whole team (and the enemies) will simply stop and stand around for a bit no matter what orders you've given or how their behaviour is set. The tactics screen from Origins got a lot of stick but it did actually work a lot of the time, the only saving grace being that the AI will use their abilities in between taking a break. I really don't understand the shift from everyone auto-attacking to needing two inputs to get the same result, same with no pause on combat initiation, it's an absolutely maddening change. Not the worst offence though, that is reserved for the skill system which I was in fact wrong about. You don't get 8 skills for your 8 slots you get a whole lot more so a decent number of your levels are completely wasted because you can't access all your abilities at once. How that sort of restriction made it into the game is beyond my comprehension, I cannot think of any reason for it let alone a sensible one (console versions of Origins/DA2 let you use as many as you like).

The Skyhold stuff is legitimately great, easily the best bit of the game. I thought they could have done more with the building/expansion (get rid of the repeating and pointless requisition stuff in favour of finding resources to build it up or recruit people for a start) but I do look forward to mucking about between missions chatting to everyone and seeing what I can make/buy etc. The crafting is ok but it does make almost all other weapons and armour that can be found or bought completely redundant and the masterwork system being chance based is a bit bullshit (even if it is run by one the many sexy dwarfs they've crammed into this game). I'm delighted to see that a fine Bioware tradition endures, everyone uses comically massive cups in cutscenes for no apparent reason, this happens in every Dragon Age game and I believe all the Mass Effect ones too. Characters/companions are done well again but I have to disagree on the handling of the 'trans' character (if that's what Krem is meant to be) given the first time it comes up in dialogue literally half the options are 'SO YOU'RE NOT REALLY A MAN THEN WHAT'S UP WITH THAT HUH?' Not sure what they do after that point because they aren't around to ask anymore but it's an incredibly poor start. Cringey writing aside I thought they did it much better with Sera as in someone who doesn't care about *insert aspect of their character*, they should just put trans characters in and not mention it if that's what they want. The cameos from characters from earlier games are fun, I liked how they tagged along on certain missions, of the regular party members only Solas has so far been a bit of a waste of space and Cole I've barely used because melee rogues seem committed to dying as soon as they can unless you micro them or keep them in stealth forever. Voice acting is pretty strong all round oddly apart from the main character whose lines more often than not feel completely disconnected from the scene (Man-quisitor may be different, not tried that). Iron Bull/Varric/Dorian/Cassandra are all really well done as is Cullen and I do like how they all interact between missions.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know we probably won't because they mix things up a fair bit between Dragon Age games in terms of your character's standing and stuff but I'd love an expanded version of the bits where you pass judgement on people. Bigger choices, more consequences from your actions. Will also be keen to discuss Iron Bull with you once you've finished the main game.

Have you got the Trespasser DLC? It's good and Solas becomes a much more interesting character in it.

I have been playing the Spider-Man game now it's on PC. It's pretty great innit?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I bought it recently enough to get all the DLC, currently doing the deep roads thing which I believe is one of them (delighted to have another War Table, at least this one isn't behind three unnecessary doors).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the Deep Roads, the bane of DA:O, is not bad. It at least has some very impressive scale to some of the views.

What race you playing as by the way, Disco? I've done it twice and can't not do Qunari but being Quanri it does come up that you appear to be the chosen one of entirely the wrong religion.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never understood the Deep Roads getting so much hate (always seemed fine to me) when The Fade exists. I absolutely loved the entire rest of the game but The Fade was torture.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did Orzammar early this time (to get Oghren as he normally turns up towards the end and I barely use him) and it was much better that way, not that I hated them particularly but it was always a bit dauntingly large to do last/late. I found the final part in Denerim to be more of a slog than anything else this time, easily the least interesting section of the game for me.

@Webly I'm elf in Inquisition, which I would imagine is handled exactly the same as Qunari. Beginning to think I fucked up on the Iron Bull front, the choice I thought I was making turns out to make almost no difference (which is a bit of a theme in this game) other than a couple of flavour texts so far. The big chap looks so lonely in the pub now.
    Last edited by Disco; 14-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Papers Please is out on IOS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality game.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of you tried Rumbleverse?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are Nintendo Switches still good? Considering getting one (already have a PS5). I remember reading there were issues with joycon drift? I'd like to play the Mario open world game, also comoleted Breath of the Wild but on the previous platform, so happily give it another run through.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a plug in controller of decent quality for £20-30, which will eliminate the drift. We've had two in the house and they only tend to drift after decent use after a couple of years anyway.

As always is with Nintendo it's just their first party games. If you want the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Kirby/Animal Crossing type stuff, then it's worth getting.

The Switch itself is still £250 or £300 for the OLED screen version. You can get the Lite version for £180 now which isn't bad if you are only using it portably anyway, but you can never plug that one into the TV if you every got the chance to.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been playing an absolute shit ton of Ori and the Will of the Wisps after my orignal save file got destroyed and I lost the will to redo all that shit again so took enough time off to forget literally evertything. I'm now I'd say 60-75% of the way through the story? These games are some of the best platformers of all time and by a distance.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not done the second Ori yet but definitely will at some point.

Still really enjoying Spider-Man just now though.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a game.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started Spiderman, that active combat is going to do my hands in. It's really interesting what they've done with that and the swinging to make it feel Spidermanny.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miles Morales is the game I stuck with most while trying to rush through as much as I could on my PS+ trial. The only thing that put me off was all the combos which I would completely forget if I left it any more than a day without playing.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the PC one comes with Miles Morales. Also small note, I miss Peter Parker being a journalist not a scientist.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a Spider-Man review unless you tell us it really makes you feel like Spider-Man.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you got the Trespasser DLC? It's good and Solas becomes a much more interesting character in it.
    Just finished, he gets a reason for having been tedious but I'm not sure that makes up for it. This and the Deep Roads DLC really did take a walk through the lore didn't they.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished the mini game "What Remains of Edith Finch". Another one of those quick stories that are pretty immersive and fun. It took me a while to realise I was ruining my experience with the inverted controls (as default) but then the game grew on me. Visually very beautiful and some really fantastic sequences including the video game within a video game.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that confused with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I seem to remember liking it, though. Lots of little stories about her family and a cool bit with a set of swings.

My id software odyssey has reached it's logical conclusion. I've bought Wolfenstein 3D. Mouse controls are not doing what I expected them to do but I'll live with it. German maze hell.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Papers Please is out on IOS
    It’s properly good!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I get that confused with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I seem to remember liking it, though. Lots of little stories about her family and a cool bit with a set of swings.
    Exactly this. I don't have much time for gaming at the moment so these mini games are great fun. I've just picked up "12 minutes". Very different game play so far but pretty compelling.