Page 118 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,900 of 8609

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Yeah, roguelites don't really work for me unless I can reliably get to a decent point. Dead Cells was great until the item pool got so big the drops I wanted no longer happened.
    For me there needs to be significant variation between each iteration. Hades just kind of felt like running the same game each time.

Spelunky and Nethack are two of my go-to ways to kill an hour, and they're great examples of how no two games are ever remotely the same. They aren't even really Roguelites - nothing about my loadout changes. It's just that each procedurally generated world is totally different. In Hades, the worlds feel exactly the same every single time.

I haven't tried Dead Cells, but I'm interested.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    You just have to do fast travelling after a while. I did the same and then got to a point where trekking back and fourth just got a little too tiresome. Maybe half-way through the main story or so. How far along are you? It's quite worth making sure you explore all regions relatively early. Have you done all the cauldrons?
    I think I'm pretty much on the last knockings of the main story, now.

Toggle Spoiler

Only cleared one cauldron, but have opened up most of the map. And I've started fast-tracking all over the place. I enjoyed trudging 3000+ paces between map points initially, but to hell with doing it after every second mission.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Act 1 of Witcher 3 done. Judging by my level, the other two acts are quicker and I was barely in Skellinge for the main stuff. I might keep with my usual light armour setup and keep some heavy guantlets because it's funny seeing Geralt in cutscenes with big oven gloves on.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm looking for now is a really tightly-designed Metroidvania. I've done Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Guacamelee, and Ori & the Blind Forest. Is there anything else of that ilk floating around that I've missed?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I understand the complaint against Hades, I just wanted to add a comment on how impressed I was around the polish of the game. There is so much depth (narrative, secrets, seemingly endless upgrades and voicelines) that they've packed into that game. Not to mention the incredible artwork.

But yeah, I've for the most part stopped playing due to the repetitiveness of each run. I can basically always get to the final boss, but always struggle to beat the game. The only motivation now is to unlock more options.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axiom Verge?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    What I'm looking for now is a really tightly-designed Metroidvania. I've done Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Guacamelee, and Ori & the Blind Forest. Is there anything else of that ilk floating around that I've missed?
    Ori and the Will O' The Wisps is the obvious if you liked Blind Forest.

Owlboy is also superb and a bit metroidvania-y if memory serves.

EDIT: A check of RPS tags also throws up a glowing review for https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ndered-review/

Is Waking Mars a metroidvania? I'm sure it has a bit of that while also of... gardening platformer? it's excellent so maybe give that a Google and see how you feel about it.
    Last edited by Ian; 11-01-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Ori and the Will O' The Wisps is the obvious if you liked Blind Forest.

Owlboy is also superb and a bit metroidvania-y if memory serves.

EDIT: A check of RPS tags also throws up a glowing review for https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ndered-review/

Is Waking Mars a metroidvania? I'm sure it has a bit of that while also of... gardening platformer? it's excellent so maybe give that a Google and see how you feel about it.
    I've got Will o' the Wisps, but my laptop can't handle it.

I forgot that I'd bought Owlboy, so that might be my next port of call. Sundered and Axiom Verge can go into the to-play list.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been dipping in and out of Reigns: Game of Thrones. It's fine, much like Reigns it can be a bit of a grind sometimes trying to unlock stuff / hit objectives and if you play too long at once managing the four meters becomes a bit of a chore but it's reasonably diverting.

I've also started Control. I've just picked up my first power and lobbing really mundane items like desks and stuff at enemies is a laugh. It generally does a pretty good job of its environments too, they look like believable mundane places (offices, etc.) before the mad shit starts fucking them up. The story is not that original but is fine as a fairly loving take on "secret government organisation messes with things which should not be messed with" and it's delivered well. The checkpointing / save system is annoying (it's 2021, just give me quicksaves that turn off in the middle of combat or whatever.) Like, I finished a story bit and then some enemies came in to test me on my new ability. I lost the fight so I went back to the not-a-soulsborne-bonfire and it looked like I was going to have to do that bit again. So I jogged through the bit I'd cleared, got there and the story bit was done.... but then a couple of random mooks had been suddenly spawned elsewhere and surprise-shanked me. It was an easy, throwaway fight so it wasn't the end of the world, just annoying.

On the whole I'm enjoying it so far.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost forgot! I also played a fun little Metroidvania called Sheepo.

I finished it completely (105%) in a bit over four hours. It's not very long, but it's not very expensive either. You don't have any attacks - the challenges are mostly platforming, and the bosses are a combination of dodging and bullet hell-lite. I actually really recommend this one.

The plot is perfunctory - you're exploring a planet looking for an egg of each species for DNA preservation or something. Once you find an egg, you can turn into that creature for a limited period of time (there are 6, but only 4 are transformations). One can fly, one can dig, etc. The art is minimalist and nice, and the music is really worthwhile.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercetti View Post
    I think I'm pretty much on the last knockings of the main story, now.

Toggle Spoiler

Only cleared one cauldron, but have opened up most of the map. And I've started fast-tracking all over the place. I enjoyed trudging 3000+ paces between map points initially, but to hell with doing it after every second mission.

Yeah you are.

You should definitely do all 4 cauldrons before you proceed with the main quest. AND - make sure you do the Frozen Wilds before ending the game as well! You don't have to do that, but it plays out better IMO.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why we didn't have an ArseCreed Black Flag thread, then Google confirmed it's because the game is two old for this board. Fuck's sake.

Anyway, Twitter tells me that for whatever reason sea shanties are doing the rounds on TikTok and I wish it'd had this one in it:

This version with Kermit added to it, of course.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just amazing.

I've listened to this at least a 100 times.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but that one's just miming and doesn't even feature a muppet.

(I've left you an open goal there.)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but that one's just miming and doesn't even feature a muppet.

(I've left you an open goal there.)
    It's also from a photo.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'd only watched about 5 seconds and then moved on to bemoaning the lack of Kermit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listed to the Black Flag soundtrack the other day. Some absolute bangers on there

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were to replay an AssCreed game it'd definitely be Black Flag.

Just sailing around the West Indies singing sea shanties with the lads.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the third place I've seen a sea shanty posted today, is whaling making a comeback or something?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By far the best AssCreed game and it's not even close.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually restarted it a while back but never finished it a second go around. I didn't finish up killing all the big baddie ships either. Might head back once I'm done with Cyberpunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    This is the third place I've seen a sea shanty posted today, is whaling making a comeback or something?
    There's some Tiktok trend of people singing them. Also, they are awesome

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    The Wellerman was a Scottish guy just singing that then people kept adding extra layers to it (baritone, bass, etc.).... and Kermit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    By far the best AssCreed game and it's not even close.
    I think AssCreed 2 (vanilla or Brotherhood) runs it close. I do love me some Ezio. I think Brotherhood is my favourite of the Ezio ones but that'd require some thought.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wellerman was a Scottish guy just singing that then people kept adding extra layers to it (baritone, bass, etc.).... and Kermit.

I think AssCreed 2 (vanilla or Brotherhood) runs it close. I do love me some Ezio. I think Brotherhood is my favourite of the Ezio ones but that'd require some thought.
    Those are next on my list. From there it's a serious drop.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there are others I really like (Syndicate, Odyssey) which are definitely after those. Freedom Cry was also good DLC for Black Flag. Just cutting about as Adewale fucking up slavers with machetes.

The original is obviously rock bottom, of course. What a load of fucking snooze that was. 3 comes after that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the original I think but I don't know if I actually liked it or if I wanted to like it so much that I "liked" it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your own sake let's hope it's the latter because it was definitely a load of repetitive tedious old dross.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    Yeah you are.

You should definitely do all 4 cauldrons before you proceed with the main quest. AND - make sure you do the Frozen Wilds before ending the game as well! You don't have to do that, but it plays out better IMO.
    Finished.

Pretty decent stuff, overall. I found the cauldrons pretty boring, but that goes for pretty much all of the interior stuff, to be honest.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried starting the Assassins Creed series a few times, now, and each time I've given up within a few hours of starting the first one. There must be about two-thousand of the fuckers now, too.

Always liked the idea of Black Flag, but never pulled the trigger.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped at Brotherhood. They made a lot of those games and they have a lot of stuff in it. Speaking of which, I'm going to mainline Witcher 3. I'm only a few missions out from the end now and feel powerful enough to smash it. Picasso tits made me laugh. I'm going to force the strongest sword and amour I can before hitting the second point of no return.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, Witcher is finally done. I wish that final boss was quicker. Death by a thousand cuts, unless I was using the wrong sword or something. Got what I assume is the best ending.

Toggle Spoiler

Anyway, here's a list of all the good glitches I found:

- I ended a fight and went to loot a corpse when a cutscene triggered. The game didn't know what to do so put me in a loading screen forever.
    - A quest couldn't be completed because the game wouldn't let me activate a switch. The switch is a sconce which Geralt felt compelled to ignite and extinguish.
    - Geralt knocked on a door. Door opens. Geralt cannot move past an open door.
    - Going into the sign menu before a fight seemed to place the action in permanent slow-motion. Geralt had no conventional movement so I had to close the gap and fight bandits by rolling and hoping they were close enough to stab. The controls were responsive so there was no timing issues. Normal service was resumed as soon as they got a hit in.

Did all the contracts, most of the side quests as well. The combat was decent, although I didn't bother much with potions and oils. I made the bulk of my potion stash as we headed out to the final missions. Most of the quests are really well written but I definitely felt it peaked with the Bloody Baron stuff. Geralt's movement outside of combat is horrific and any time you have to take a long boat ride, fighting Sirens on a boat can be a complete waste of effort. Really good game, overall. Possibly the best of that year if Metal Gear Solid V didn't exist.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Also with the final Dettlaff fight I was surprised how much I coasted through it on my recent replay. Which I know sounds dumb because obviously I'd beaten it once by then but it's not like the first time I hadn't worked out what to do but it still took a lot of reloads. I think it's just that the second time I invested in and used Quen more which I reckon makes a big difference.

There's part of me really wants to go back to MGS V but I know fine well that same as the first time I'll endure the worst hour in gaming history, then really enjoy myself until all the Kojima story wankery comes in and starts ruining an excellent stealth game.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only failed it once and found that if I threw more heavy strikes, I could get the damage done quicker. Quen did some work in that fight because it's so easy to reapply. When it came to the last point of no return, I just did everything I could. I had the best armour available to me, the best weapons (no thanks to the Master Smith and Armourer) and finally put some runes / glyphs in the sockets for more buffs.

Bookending MGS with the hospital missions is the worst. That game should've ended at the Sehalanthropus fight. It's the only thing resembling a climax in that game. If you had to do the reveal, you could've had it happen on the base. "Time to go Ahab." <Midge Ure kicks in, credits roll and they all setup shop in Outer Heaven>

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even know what half of that second bit of your MGS chat is. I got as far as a really good mission where you're infiltrating a cave base thing and then that skull twat and his dickhead army turned up and ruined everything and I didn't last long after that.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. The ending would upset you greatly, then. Man, there's a lot of shit in that game that just doesn't belong.

One more glitch for the Witcher pile. NG+ won't start. I have an endgame save and New Game doesn't give me the option. Turns out you have to download it from the PS Store. The prompt it gave me implied I already had it.
    Last edited by Shindig; 17-01-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gone through the initial part of Greedfall, and I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

Everything feels really floaty and unfinished. And I find the voices really irritating.

Puts me at a bit of a loss for what to get into next, as this was my pick to start after I finished Horizon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't sound promising. Greedfall is next on my list as well.

But do give Ghost of Tsushima a try, @Vercetti. It's combat isn't quite as dynamic since you're fighting Mongols instead of massive dinosaur robots, but apart from that it's got a lot of stylistic similarities to Horizon.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll be the good thing about playing it from Gamepass, if it does turn out to be meh then I can just bin it.

I am in the mood for an RPG along those lines so if Greedfall is crap or doesn't scratch the itch I dunno what plan b would be, I shouldn't be replaying stuff when I've got so much other stuff I could be getting on with.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it out on PSNow, so I may go back to it, at some point, if it stays on there. I didn't think it was bad, just not really my cup o' tea. I only played about two-hours, or so, and I was quite intrigued by some of the story. Just not enough to listen to the accents for too long!

I definitely plan on getting Tsushima at some point. Just waiting for a price drop/payday.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercetti View Post
    Just not enough to listen to the accents for too long!

The RPS review for it they had the same actors doing different voices so probably trying really hard to differentiate them.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maz, you seem in prime for a Yakuza game. Yakuza Zero is the great action version and they made a turn based rpg one recently called Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon based off the DragonQuest battle system.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play all of them. They're absurd.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to see how many of the Metacritic top 100 I've played. In this case, the top 100 is full of doubles for different platforms and shit so I just kept going down the list til I had 100 different games. I've played 49 of them and beaten 37 of them.

The main thing I took from this is how console-centric Metacritic's ratings are. There's very few classic PC things in there. Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Thief miss the cut. There is no DOOM. Madden's in there twice, along with NCAA 2004. Must've been a golden age of gridiron or something. I was also kind of surprised World of Goo was so high up. Soul Calibur in the top 5 is interesting but the list doesn't really feel that cultured and varied, if I'm honest.

Ocarina of Time having a perfect score miffs me. Not a fan.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I came to Ocarina of Time late so I dunno if that contributed but it didn't do a lot for me. I'd be interested to play Breath of the Wild because the Zelda games I have played have left me a little cold.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What gets me is they always review well. Even the ones that are critically seen as not that great (Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword), get ridiculous scores at launch. In that top 100, the only 3D mainline Zelda that isn't there is Majora's Mask and that's only because it's yet to be re-released on anything other than the Wii Virtual Console.

I'm hoping Wind Waker turns me around on the classic 3D Zelda formula but not holding out much hope. Ocarina of Time just felt so stakes free and kinda boring.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about having played it for the first time at the time or are you just going through them for the first time now?

Also it probably just isn't worth the hassle of giving a new tentpole Nintendo game a shit score even if you felt it deserved it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played it for the first time last year. There's no nostalgia to it and no, "Wow, they made this work in 3D!" revelatory moment.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but I think with a game like that it's hard to judge it when you're playing it so long after the fact. I think there are a lot of classic games you can go back to and, with the benefit of having played the games that bettered what they did, think "So what?"

That said I played Twilight Princess when many reviewers were wetting their pants about it and while I enjoyed it it left absolutely no mark on me at all and from what I've seen (not the same as having played it, of course) of BotW I don't quite understand why everybody got so excited about that either.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back and playing NES games make me amazed that the entire video game industry didn't go under because they're all fucking awful.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Out still holds.

As for Zelda, I also did not enjoy Ocarina of Time that much, and that is with me getting it right at release (even had the special gold cartridge edition and everything). I liked it, but didn't think it was BEST GAME EVAR or anything. Breath of the Wild, on the other hand, I liked a lot, even if the story is a massive pile of shite.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xbox live going up. $60 for 6 months going forward...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/...the%20messages.

Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent. You can always visit your account to manage your membership, and prices won’t adjust until at least 45 days after you receive the messages.