Page 1 of 173 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General gaming discussion

Forgot we didn't have one yet.

I'm still playing Tomb Raider, anyway. It's a taken a while but I'm feeling into it now. Can't be arsed hunting down every icon and it still feels a bit like Lara Croft and the Temple of QTEs at times. I'd also rather it were a touch less shooty because some of the puzzles and stuff keep having me thinking they're going to pull out a Sands of Time-style cavern-spanning puzzle but they're all quite simple.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the torture mission in GTAV yesterday, it really is quite unpleasant and entirely out of place.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's proper gruesome. It's not that I don't think there's a place for that sort of thing, more that I'm not sure 'torturing somebody while playing as a cackling madman' is it.

I was desperately hoping there was something I could do to get him to cave faster but I suspect there isn't.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I think the scene just has to play out.

Nearly everything in GTA is an exaggerated parody or pastiche of something, or just a puerile gag. This was just straight up pulling a guys teeth out in a needlessly interactive manner.

leedsrevolution
    I quite enjoyed the torture bit. Is that worrying?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Cain on olde TTH did too, and he basically enjoyed anything was unnecessarily violent.

So yes, if you actively enjoyed it it probably is slightly worrying.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird that the titles of these monster threads are different. They were part of the furniture.

Anyway, I still play Skyrim in the year 2015.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How have you kept your interest in it up Clay?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Anyway, I still play Skyrim in the year 2015.
    How many hours is that?

I'm playing through The Witcher 3, which I like quite a lot, but I think I've hit the open world game 'meh' wall. I've seen all the various map bits, I've seen most of the monster types, I've collected most of the various things there are to collect (I don't even bother looking at the stats of the things I pick up any more). Problem is, I'm probably about half way through. The Witcher seems to have much more variety than is standard as well, I'd reached the same point with Skyrim about 15% of the way in to it, so I've no idea how you are still going.

I love open world games, but I think we may have made them too big for their own good.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've probably got one more character left in me Skyrim-wise, problem is I don't have anything like the motivation required to set up all the mods. Vanilla would be too tedious to even consider.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only guess my hours as there's no such stat on Xbox. I have 1200+ saves on one profile, and probably 500+ on another. And it's all vanilla. I don't play for hours at a time, and I can go as long as I want without playing, but I keep coming back to it for an hour here and there depending on what else I'm playing (which isn't much at the minute).

The little details are what keep me interested I think, along with using an unusual build and roleplaying.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me more about the unusual build and the roleplaying?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the build isn't that unusual, I guess. It's more that I've thought it through than it being unusual. I'm a cloth-wearing archer-mage basically. I use bound bow and runes (opening with a weakness poison or a frenzy poison, so I use Speech to make those cheaper) to make the rune more effective. Enchanting (used wisely) keeps my bound bow's damage from plateauing (which it soon does when you can't smith it), while not using alchemy keeps me from breaking the game damage-wise. As an archer my idea is that I should be very squishy - I can generally take one hit from an enemy without dying - but I should also be able to deal a lot of damage. I often spend time before a fight finding a nice high location from which to open fire.

For this character I'm trying to feel more like an actual apprentice at the college, as opposed to the quickfire 'apprentice -> archmage' result of the questline. So upon being told to look for the books I'm taking that as a point to wander round doing misc quests for the college, basically learning my trade. Part of the role-play is getting to the college (a long trek!) in time for the daily lectures. Obviously not every day, but whenever I'm there. It just makes sense as an apprentice.

I don't eat or drink, because it doesn't feel immersive no matter how I do it, but I sleep every night - at the college if I'm there, or in an inn. Little roleplaying things involve not stripping opponents because they have valuable armour, not grinding enchanting to 100 straightaway (something that's ruined some other characters). I enchant new items every time I put a new perk in the base enchanting perk. As a result of this slower-paced style I have much less gold than usual, so I use Speech to make what I need cheaper. I'm level 21 now and Saarthal is the only part of the College questline that I've done.

It probably doesn't sound like much, but it's different to my original characters who powered up as often as they possibly could and spent little time just wandering around adventuring or feeling like they were actually part of a faction.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You weirdo.

I definitely need to get back and finish Skyrim. Never got that far in the story but still managed 100+ hours.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm yet to do a proper summoner/Conjuration mage, I wouldn't mind making use of the ability to raise skeletons from collected body parts.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P_3 View Post
    You weirdo.

I definitely need to get back and finish Skyrim. Never got that far in the story but still managed 100+ hours.
    Really? From the Skyrim forum I read, this style of play seems pretty commonplace. It is an RPG after all...
    @Disco (does this mention thing work?) - I always found necromancy disappointingly situational in Vanilla, but some of those SkyRe additions to it make it a lot more useful. Bit weird having to lug a load of old bones around with you though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there's any mechanics for it in Vanilla, but with mods it should be easy enough to get a decently creepy abode and go out 'collecting'. Most fun RP playthrough I've had was as a bandit type, camping in the wilderness and coming into villages etc to rob people. Always moved on at a certain bounty level which made it pretty brutal (due to Frostfall) when I had to retreat into the mountains.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far through Tomb Raider are you now, Ian?

I wasn't as far through as I thought I was - recently had Lara's eighth journal out of ten, and I assume they're all kind of like chapter indicators, so I'm probably nearly at the end this time, but I won't be able to get much time in the next few days, so I doubt I'll finish it before next week.

Kinda tempted to go through & seek out the collectibles, especially as I don't really have anything else I'm hugely keen to play at the minute, but yeah, the puzzles are shit & there are a few too many QTE's at times.

The story is decent though, and the set pieces are pretty excellent. Combat is enjoyable too, even if they did manage to sneak a few more QTE's in there too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GTA V finished, quite good that was, if rather easy. Got a few things left to get to 100% completion, lets see at what point I get bored with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing LOTR shadow of mordor, not a bad game for £20.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the build isn't that unusual, I guess. It's more that I've thought it through than it being unusual. I'm a cloth-wearing archer-mage basically. I use bound bow and runes (opening with a weakness poison or a frenzy poison, so I use Speech to make those cheaper) to make the rune more effective. Enchanting (used wisely) keeps my bound bow's damage from plateauing (which it soon does when you can't smith it), while not using alchemy keeps me from breaking the game damage-wise. As an archer my idea is that I should be very squishy - I can generally take one hit from an enemy without dying - but I should also be able to deal a lot of damage. I often spend time before a fight finding a nice high location from which to open fire.

For this character I'm trying to feel more like an actual apprentice at the college, as opposed to the quickfire 'apprentice -> archmage' result of the questline. So upon being told to look for the books I'm taking that as a point to wander round doing misc quests for the college, basically learning my trade. Part of the role-play is getting to the college (a long trek!) in time for the daily lectures. Obviously not every day, but whenever I'm there. It just makes sense as an apprentice.

I don't eat or drink, because it doesn't feel immersive no matter how I do it, but I sleep every night - at the college if I'm there, or in an inn. Little roleplaying things involve not stripping opponents because they have valuable armour, not grinding enchanting to 100 straightaway (something that's ruined some other characters). I enchant new items every time I put a new perk in the base enchanting perk. As a result of this slower-paced style I have much less gold than usual, so I use Speech to make what I need cheaper. I'm level 21 now and Saarthal is the only part of the College questline that I've done.

It probably doesn't sound like much, but it's different to my original characters who powered up as often as they possibly could and spent little time just wandering around adventuring or feeling like they were actually part of a faction.
    Top stuff. This sort of thing is definitely how you get the most from the game and why I keep claiming it's so immersive and deep, which it definitely isn't if you're just grinding and racing to max stuff ASAP.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a brilliant mod called Alternate Death (I think), instead of dying at zero health you drop down and get a second bar, if someone finishes you off you can get one of several different outcomes. You may get captured and locked/tied up or maybe rescued by a variety of NPC's (it may even take into account people you've helped). Makes a massive difference to immersion, so much better than just reloading.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done it, but the idea of a 'dead is dead' save at some point does appeal.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, Dead is Dead does tempt me, but having played for this long with so many characters the thought of starting again and again pains me too much. Disco's mod sounds amazing, but out of my reach sadly. Some players play it at legendary, which basically means you have to max all 3 crafting skills in order to stand a chance. Dull. I've found playing at lower difficulties (though my 'normal' characters play at master) allows you to be more creative with your build and to ignore the boring crafting skills altogether.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played it on legendary quite a bit and didn't need to do that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you died, right?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make yourself completely invincible via crafting, and with enough grinding they can be maxed without going too far outside of towns and other safe places. It would be boring as shit but it could be done.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you died, right?
    Oh, sorry, didn't realise you meant Legendary on DiD.

Nope, haven't tried that, it would be mental.

I play the game normally on legendary difficulty though.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Tomb Raider earlier. Pretty good overall, solid 8/10 despite the flaws both Ian & I have mentioned several times, and I'm looking forward to the new game now. Apparently there's DLC for this one, so I may look into that & see if it's actually meant to be any good.

Completion is currently at 80%, so I'm tempted to try to 100% the main game & max out all the upgrades, especially as most of the collectibles are easy to find now I have the cartographer skill, but as the temptation to buy a One grows I'm thinking I need to finish off a few more games instead of pissing about with collectibles in a game I've already finished.

I'm thinking I either finish Rayman Origins or Saints Row 3, or get started on Dishonored. Probably got a handful of downloaded games that'll tempt me too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finish Rayman Origins - it's not as good as Legends, but still brilliant. It's better as a two-player game, I think.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was going to give that a run tonight while the NFL is on. Don't think I got too far into it, but I did enjoy the bit I did play.

Legends is the Xbox One game, right? May have to pick that up when I finally upgrade.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wait I always get them mixed up for some reason. Origins is the much better game. The music levels are works of art. You can unlock all the Origins levels in Rayman Legends, which is a neat addition.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been playing a bit of Dirty Bomb lately, steam game any steam gamers here?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplaysdark

It's over. 43 days. Everything beaten.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so bored lately waiting for FM too come out I sold all my PS4 games but GTA but I don't even play that all my mates play Destiny and all have the DLC fuck paying out the prize of a game for DLC I aint a idiot, so I normally game on my Laptop but in the past 2 weeks I've played just 10 minutes of Dirty Bomb that was yesterday lol.

Plus my mate bought me a game and I sold it 2 days later and he keeps asking me to play so avoiding the PS4 right now Hehe

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, to follow on from the previous forum thread - non violent 360 co-op couch gaming. First and third person or sidescrolling only.

We have Lego, Portal and the Rayman games. Anything else we're missing?

Also it's occurred to me that I can probably grab a wireless receiver for my 360 controller and set up my notebook as a Big Picture Steam box occassionally, so single machine, paddable co-op Steam games would also be helpful.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minecraft?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably get a Wii for pence these days and have access to every Mario flavoured game ever.

In other news I'm quite liking the beginning of Divinity: OS, it throws a lot of exposition and scene setting at you early on when I would have preferred a slightly longer intro dungeon/area to get used to the combat etc but on the whole it's very enjoyable. The dialogue is quite cheesy at times and I can see how people might not like the tone but I'm a corny bastard so it's fine.

Talking to animals is the best thing ever (I'm currently doing a bit of feline matchmaking) and I'm running about with a lady who thinks she's a bear and a mute hobo who I found living in a well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Minecraft?
    I'd rather not game than play that.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Elth adopted a young Somalian child, Angelina Jolie-style?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    I'd rather not game than play that.
    What a man.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BOOM MOTHERFUCKERS

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commentary is a bit wet.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a guy who works for the studio, he's sarcastic as fuck. They couldn't afford to bring someone in to do something proper.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it works so well.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'd assume an all new game, Far Cry/Assassins Creed don't fit the survival/horror theme that I think that teaser is trying to..tease?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a couple of guys I work with seem to like THPS5. I still kinda want to check it out in spite of the negative reception it's got.