User Tag List

Page 114 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,700 of 8609

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy to think that Microsoft have spent nearly twice as much on Bethesda as Disney did on LucasArts. Shows how huge games are and Bethesda's barely do microtransactions.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fallout 76 would have made way more sense as an EA published game, really.

"And for just £15.99 we'll add NPCs."

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Crazy to think that Microsoft have spent nearly twice as much on Bethesda as Disney did on LucasArts. Shows how huge games are and Bethesda's barely do microtransactions.
    Remember they also bought Zenimax, the parent company, who own enough VR patents/trade secrets that Facebook were forced to pay half a billion dollars as a settlement despite winning the case.

It’s not just Bethesda it’s also Arkane and iD software. It’s a huge move.

To put it into perspective. They paid 7.5 billion dollars. Sony’s profit on its games/console division between 2013-2019 was 8.3 billion.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's the part of Sony that makes money. I do hope, if Sony are to respond, they announce full backwards compatibility. Competition is good for this industry and I'm glad the console wars are warming up.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft should have bought Nintendo when they were shitting the bed pre-Switch

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Microsoft should have bought Nintendo when they were shitting the bed pre-Switch
    They had too much money in the bank from the Wii. Apple tried and got rebuffed apparently.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be amazed if Nintendo ever sold, especially to a western company.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Nintendoes what Nintendwants. That's how it goes, right?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xbox One X is 4th in the Amazon chart. Do you have a link for that, Baz?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will probably finish Gears Tactics but I think the lack of anything between the missions (other than the crap equipment menus) is preventing it from properly hooking me in for big sessions.

The actual missions themselves are ace and often have me pause to think about the best way to deal with the seemingly-overwhelming numbers it hurls at you but I think perhaps because the gear upgrades are largely a bit meh and some of the character perks are more quality of life than "I can't wait to use that!" finishing one mission and going into the next pretty much straight away doesn't hold as much appeal to me. I like that the missions are all designed and the layouts are often pretty cool (I liked the big fight across the narrow bridge, for instance) but if missions are all I'm doing you're gonna need to find ways to give me a bit more variety.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've bailed on Mario 64 on the Switch. The camera's a pain but it also has this dumb thing where you can't quit out of a level unless you're in a certain area. I've loaded it up on Retroarch instead. I can deal with doing Sunshine and Galaxy without save states but 64 hasn't aged that well.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping they'd fix the camera for the Switch version. Always loved the game but hated the camera and as you say the game itself hasn't aged well.

I need to get on Sunshine and Galaxy though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on 108 stars and still going strong. My problem is my control stick sticks and I die a lot falling off, but I will persevere.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day I'll do it legit but it's nice to go in with some prior knowledge. Like how getting that star on the Boo balcony can be crawled to. And how the first Bowser level has 4 lives in it. Took all of 90 minutes to get back to the 35 star mark. The levels are so small which makes repeated fuck-ups more irritating.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/202...fter-17-years/

Man, I'm tempted by this. Might need to see how it holds up because I loved it at the time. An ending that felt relatively unique at the time and I still want a sequel, damn it.

He's played it before so may be useful if anybody else wants to see how it holds up.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Wasteland 3 yesterday. All in all very solid game. It it smack full of bugs, but so long as you get the habit of quicksaving a lot it's all good. It auto-saves enough that it never bothered me too much.

Like many of these games it felt like there should have been a little more to do and explore. And I wouldn't have minded a little more variety in the fights - but with that said it never got boring either. Building your squad, building up your HQ was a lot of fun. The story is decent enough but the characters in it are amazing, the writing is great and the voice acting good as well.

Definitely give this one a go.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Gears Tactics having too many side missions but otherwise I'm still digging it. Second boss was way better than the first two, which is weird given it's fully stationary.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Googled Gears Tactics and got a bit excited but then saw its not on PS4

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You game on PC as well don't you? Or have I made that up?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope I don't. But I did maybe 5 years ago. Since then the idea was always to get a new Stationary, but having kids always seemed to get in the way (literally, in some regards). Then a year or so ago i got a PS4 from the missus and I realized it's probably a much easier and more realistic way of playing games when you have kids and only really get a few hours per night (which you kind of have to spend on your sofa... to cope).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, yes, that rings a bell.

In which case yeah, Gears Tactics is Gamepass so I doubt that'll be happening for you.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mario 64's done. 70 stars is enough for me. I enjoyed it but the latter stages became a bit of a slog and I never got the hang of throwing Bowser. There's got to be a consistency to it but I never figured it out. Of the Mario's I own, this might be the one I go back to the least.

Well, saying that, I prefer a raw number of stars for progression instead of Sunshine's method of beating Shadow Mario on all levels.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up to 113 now. Have 1 on the snowy level, 2 on tick tock clock and 4 on the sky level. The latter two levels are nightmares but will be conquered. Fuck not seeing Yoshi again after 22 years.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's everywhere in Sunshine.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait. I'm now just 1 star away and its probably the hardest, 100 coins on Rainbow Ride.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Gears Tactics. I liked it a lot but they definitely need to either cut the number of side missions or make the rewards you get more appealing because in the back half of the game if it wasn't a gold item I didn't give a shit, and people don't level fast enough for you to be excited to build people up especially as you know which characters are gonna be in the final fight anyway. Also really liked the bosses but, again, they probably needed about 30% less health.

Outer Wilds next.

EDIT: No, Outer Worlds. Fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh nice. That's a pretty sweet little game.

What they really nailed is the ambiance. But it could have been a bit longer/bigger I think.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should stress Outer Wilds is also completely excellent and I recommend it to anybody who's considered it and wants something a bit different to play but I'm just tired of mixing the two names up.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying Ride 4. It's almost Tourist Trophy levels of good but the zero tolerance for the time trial track limits is bullshit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played a good chunk of Outer Worlds over the weekend and it's.... hard to describe exactly how I feel about it. I've been enjoying myself and if you asked me to appraise any particular aspect (the setting, the writing, the voice acting, the combat) I'd at least be positive and in some instances very positive but when I stop it doesn't really occupy my mind any more. It feels like a load of different influences have been crammed together but without getting the extra lick of paint over the finished article that gives the thing its own strong identity. This has bits of Borderlands, Fallout, Firefly, it's got RPG stuff that it doesn't massively lean into, a fairly barebones crafting/upgrading system, fun levels but are then reduced to "go and click on these three things", a 'turn the evil robots against each other' section, Choices That Matter but in a way where it's you're told of Big Consequences that probably never come into play again.

It's a good game, I suspect I'll finish it without having to force myself to go back to it and enjoy it every time I play it but then a year from now I'll probably not remember a great deal about it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, I tried that one a while ago. Seemed alright. Played the first world and never touched it again.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm enjoying it as much because it's just My Sort Of Thing rather than because it's doing anything in a particularly compelling way, though some of the landscapes just on the first world are nice and the big space station thing is pretty cool when you walk out onto the main deck with all the neon-lit advertising and stuff.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of what I felt as well. The setting is amazing, the atmosphere is sort of just right. You really sort feel like you are in a space colony run by a capitalistic corporation.

But once you sort of scratch beyond the surface there isn't that much more. You don't constantly get sidetracked into amazing sidequests and and "lose" yourself deeper and deeper into that world because - they aren't really there. Everything feels a little to short, too small, too little.

Once you get to the "sprawling capital" of the elite (basically a space version of the Capitol from Hunger games) you sort of get disappointed that what should be miles and miles of alleys and buildings and things to explore is mostly just textures.

And it's tiny stuff such as the fact that you never actually see your own character really, those Starship Trooper style bugs you fight over and over get a little repetitive after a while... yeah.

And yet I still thought the game had something, and I still finished it. I just was disappointed it wasn't more because it really could have been an awesome game and that felt like a shame.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean - should they really be so surprised that in a role playing game, people like the idea of playing something a little simliar to themselves?

Like how many people actually ever do a purely evil run-through of games where you can do that? It's one of those things I'v said EVERY time I started replaying Baldurs Gate 2 or other games where you could basically be evil, but I never really ended up doing it.

The closest I got was becoming a cannibal in Fallout 3 or maybe a Werewolf/assassin in Skyrim but in the end I always turn out to be a right Minsc in every game I play.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember the last time I played as a white dude in a game with a half-decent character creator.

I don't know that playing as me is going to help me relate any more or less to having some evil squidmen implant a magic bomb-bug in my brain so why not go for it and choose a more interesting option?

My issue with that sort of mentality is that it's why we end up with, for the sake of singling a game out as an example, a pasty ginger dude as our main character in Fallen Order when the setting has so many options.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's either that or nobody cares enough to make something. There's probably a million default John/Jane Shepherds around.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always an evil playthrough the first time, I'm yet to play KOTOR any other way.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Mr. Nice Guy but only because I've been conditioned to think it delivers better benefits. Or gives me an extra boss to fight.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always feel like I end up staring into the eyes of the puppy I'm about to murder in whatever game I'm playing and I cave. I'm just a sucker for hero stories. If I manage to play with a bit of "edge" it's essentially sometimes kicking the bad guys arses before they get a chance to explain themselves but thats it (and even that I rarely do, as I've learned it's always best to try to exhaust all dialogue options before attacking).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember the last time I played as a white dude in a game with a half-decent character creator.

I don't know that playing as me is going to help me relate any more or less to having some evil squidmen implant a magic bomb-bug in my brain so why not go for it and choose a more interesting option?

My issue with that sort of mentality is that it's why we end up with, for the sake of singling a game out as an example, a pasty ginger dude as our main character in Fallen Order when the setting has so many options.
    I find it off when there's no real character or back-story for who you make. That's what made Divinity 2 better than 1 IMO in the end.
    And most of my all time favourite characters were in Planescape Torment for instance and while TNO is human, he's not really that human... but it made sense because there was a story around who and what he was.

But in a complete sandbox mode character creation, I can't really bring myself to create some green goblin with red hair if that's sort of supposed to represent me in that world, if you get me.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered an Oculus Quest 2. Downloading Half Life Alyx as we speak.

So moist.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking amazing bit of kit. Not been this blown away by something since the leap from 2D into 3D back in the N64 days.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rez Infinite is probably awesome on that.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Rez Infinite is probably awesome on that.
    Yeah I've bought that, never played Rez before so looking forward to it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasp. Area 5 will change your life.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It's either that or nobody cares enough to make something. There's probably a million default John/Jane Shepherds around.
    Renegade playthrough with Grant Mitchell Shepherd

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of making things, I'm working on cobbling together a PES option file. Mainly because I don't think Konami's going to support 2021 like it's a proper product. And the community's kind of shat the bed on it. PESWorld's bloke has quit and the CustomYourPES file I picked up was woefully out of date. Brighton doesn't even have a proper kit.

Premier League transfers are done because Newastle with no left-back cover and Joelinton leading the line is no fun. Cavani really transforms United into a route one terror. Liverpool immediately sold Jota. The 'other European teams' section is filled with last year's relegated teams so I might crudely turn Wigan and Hull into the Old Firm.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Renegade playthrough with Grant Mitchell Shepherd
    I'm now just imagining Saren being manhandled out of the Queen Vic.