User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Are all of your eyes really this closed?

Russian oligarchs, Chinese billionaires etc buy things up for a couple of reasons, one being money laundering and the other being insuring themselves against either falling out of favour politically at home, or their natural resource empires running out of juice (the latter is basically state policy in Qatar and the French in particular absolutely adore flogging them their wares).

These things are not investments that benefit anyone else or the local population, which, like or loathe Donald Trump, his burgeoning Scottish golf course empire does.
    I accept that you're probably mostly right about this, but I want to understand it. What ways do the investments of Trump and other westerners benefit locals in the way that Abramovich and whoever don't?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump, like most billionaire tycoons, invests in things to make money. In order to make money from his investments he needs to add value to what is already there, and in order to do that he needs to employ more people, spend on the local infrastructure and so on. As such the post Trump world somewhere like Turnberry is better (give or take) than what was there before, for pretty much everyone concerned.

When a Malaysian billionaire buys a row of houses, knocks it down and turns it into luxury executive flats, he's not improving anything. He's effectively asset-stripping the city and turning it away from being a normally functioning market. And I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt there - many of them do this not even to sell on for profit, but just because they need their money to be tied up in it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicago > all.

Fantastic city, as already said, it's NY without all the crap of NY.

San Francisco being up there is a crime though, that place was utter shite, couldn't stand the place. Perhaps I didn't get the 'vibe' of there but it generally didn't offer much outside 2-3days of being there. When I was travelling it was the one place I couldn't wait to leave.
    Test.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Aren't you thinking of Montreal?
    Yes, Vancouver isn't very French at all.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure Vancouver is the furthest away place from French Canada.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Pretty sure Vancouver is the furthest away place from French Canada.
    It's in British Columbia. I interviewed for a job at UBC there.

I really like the city. I think if I had to live anywhere in North America, that'd be it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump, like most billionaire tycoons, invests in things to make money. In order to make money from his investments he needs to add value to what is already there, and in order to do that he needs to employ more people, spend on the local infrastructure and so on. As such the post Trump world somewhere like Turnberry is better (give or take) than what was there before, for pretty much everyone concerned.

When a Malaysian billionaire buys a row of houses, knocks it down and turns it into luxury executive flats, he's not improving anything. He's effectively asset-stripping the city and turning it away from being a normally functioning market. And I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt there - many of them do this not even to sell on for profit, but just because they need their money to be tied up in it.
    Does the Malaysian not need labour and infrastructure to demolish, design, supply, and build the need luxury executive flats? Interested to hear why you chose the "flats" example also, as flats generally provide more housing which is what London is crying out for (and as such would go against your point).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need (cheap, transient, dare I say Polish) labour but the housing point is redundant because they're sticking up luxury housing, not housing that people can live in on a normal salary. Ask Sama for more details.

The headline numbers probably add up to London being a more 'prosperous' city than before, but it's a much less pleasant one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    EDIT: I love Sydney more than any other city in the world, mind. The city has plenty going on, but it also has the beaches and mountain hikes which you don't get in other major cities. The harbour is stunning, and I find that there's always plenty to do (obviously not nearly as much cultural stuff as New York or London, but enough to get me by). But I appreciate that this isn't going to be true for everyone.
    That's basically how I'd describe San Francisco, with the addition that block-for-block San Francisco is as or more beautiful than any other city in the world.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's not Beijing that's for sure.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "block-for-block"

I can see the similarities, although I prefer Sydney to San Fran. Nicer beaches and better weather beat odd buildings and even odder people. Many years ago I rode the funny transport thing (don't know if it was the BART - the one that turns from a train into a overground type bus thing) all the way to the end of the line to a place called Judah I think it was. What an odd place. There was literally tumbleweed in the street and I had a walk in, walk out experience in a coffee shop there. It's probably totally normal there now.

Muir Woods probably beats the Blue Mountains/Katoomba and maybe San Francisco wins the battle of the bridges, mind. Lacking a Manly, but then there's Monterrey Bay and it's mega aquarium. Tough choices.

Twin Peaks as well. I know a couple of people who live in 'The Bay Area', should probably have visited them more often.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Penrith. Not sure how, but I have. I'm giving this to San Fran as a result, although I preferred Melbourne anyway like a pervert.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you go to Penrith?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging from this thread, I really should visit my relatives in Australia in some point. I properly hate flying though, so I'm not sure when that's going to happen.

As for the most beautiful city "block-for-block" that I've been to, it's probably Copenhagen. If it wasn't so incredibly expensive I'd be up there more often. Great-looking, surprisingly friendly people everywhere too, and even the weather seems to be always nice when I go there.

In the US (I've only been to the East Coast, mind) it's probably Boston. I could definitely see myself living there, as opposed to New York. It's cleaner, less hectic, and the public transport doesn't suck as much as in New York, even though it's still shit compared to glorious Central Europe.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Why would you go to Penrith?
    I really can't remember. I've definitely been though as I had sausage and chips in the Penrith Panthers club restaurant. Think it might have been a lunchtime stop on the way to Katoomba although I've no idea if the geography of that adds up.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't remember. I've definitely been though as I had sausage and chips in the Penrith Panthers club restaurant. Think it might have been a lunchtime stop on the way to Katoomba although I've no idea if the geography of that adds up.
    Yeah, that scans.

I think you should come back and poke around a little more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    That's basically how I'd describe San Francisco, with the addition that block-for-block San Francisco is as or more beautiful than any other city in the world.
    Really?

Generally thought it was rather overhyped, cold as fuck and a miserable place. Golden Gate Park was very nice that being said and the Bridge area was pretty fun, but the back ends of Market St (sp?) towards to Civic centre were just run down and over-run with homeless, in what was a real dingy neighbourhood.

It was also ridiculously expensive.
    Test.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim has been spot on about London. The city is absolutely fucked.

The labour being used really is a fucking joke too. On one job I worked on, the builders there had been shipped in from Italy and fucking lived in the house whilst it was a building site, the kitchen hadn't even had its wall built yet. Three to a room, made beds out of fucking palettes. Grim.

I paid Ł650 a month for a tiny single bed (I had to remove my chair to be able to open my wardrobe) in a flat share, whilst earning Ł12k. Elephant and Castle isn't even a fancy area, it's just surrounded by dickhead cityboy places and unfortunately now for the area it's its own turn to go through the 'Luxury Apartments' redevelopment, so prices are probably about to double.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vegas
    Sydney
    San Francisco
    Melbourne
    New York
    LA
    Miami

That's how I'd rank the major cities I visited this summer. Vegas is cheating a bit though, as I imagine the fun would wear off quite quickly if you were there for more than a few weeks. I'd live in Sydney in a heartbeat, it was brilliant.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest negative about Sydney is the lack of proximity to anywhere else. I miss being able to jaunt over to Europe on weekends. Even the big Asian cities are 8+ hours away by plane.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird to think that there are people who actually live and work in Vegas.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prostitutes and coke dealers, mainly.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Las Vegas is the worst place I've ever been, and I've been to Sparkbrook.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miami is shit to visit as there is fuck all to see but it is actually a decent place to live in, apart from being a bit expensive.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'San Fran' is the most foreign phrase in existence

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Miami is shit to visit as there is fuck all to see but it is actually a decent place to live in, apart from being a bit expensive.
    One night we went into bars that had "drinks offers" and three places in a row tried to rip us off when it came to pay the bill. It soured the experience, really.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there for ultra festival and we ended up in some lobster bar. The owner sounded like he'd smoked 50 a day for decades and the dodgy Mexican waiter took us downstairs for a spliff. Top place full of vain idiots.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    One night we went into bars that had "drinks offers" and three places in a row tried to rip us off when it came to pay the bill. It soured the experience, really.
    Where was that? Sounds like Ocean Dr. which is probably the worst place in the whole city.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Top place full of vain idiots.
    Spot on.

Today I went kayaking in Oleta Park (in Miami.) Got to see dolphins, manta rays, some weird bird and some big ass spiders. Way better than $15 'cocktails.'

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Really?

Generally thought it was rather overhyped, cold as fuck and a miserable place. Golden Gate Park was very nice that being said and the Bridge area was pretty fun, but the back ends of Market St (sp?) towards to Civic centre were just run down and over-run with homeless, in what was a real dingy neighbourhood.

It was also ridiculously expensive.
    Sounds like you ended up in the Tenderloin. I love the Tenderloin having spent more time there but it's definitely not the place for tourists. What I love about San Francisco is that it's got almost everything: a properly big downtown, more grimy and 'edgy' areas, Chinatown, hippies and free love, beautiful residential areas, several top parks, good museums, two quality waterfronts, two quality bridges (and the Golden Gate honestly deserves its hype), and by virtue of its geography probably more good views than any city I've been to. It would be like if Paris had a half dozen Montmartres instead of just one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Gee, Hank, listen to this We're buildin' this city, ok, and Buddy over here had a great idea. It's gon' be like Paris France, but instead of buildin' one Montmartre, we're gon' have SIX.'

'Woohoo! Yeah, boy! Yee-hah! Uhhhh-huh!'

*fires cheeseburger into the air*

'God bless America!'

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Liverpool the best, no word of a lie.

For a place to be interesting to me, it has to have interesting people. I don't care for nice views or posh restaurants at all, but people who are fun to chat to over a pint are great. Liverpool's full of 'em. Plus it's like 15 minutes away.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Gee, Hank, listen to this We're buildin' this city, ok, and Buddy over here had a great idea. It's gon' be like Paris France, but instead of buildin' one Montmartre, we're gon' have SIX.'

'Woohoo! Yeah, boy! Yee-hah! Uhhhh-huh!'

*fires cheeseburger into the air*

'God bless America!'
    What the fuck?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It made me laugh.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just so unexpected.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I should have you remembered you were American, and put ATTEMPT AT HUMOUR COMING in a preliminary post.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    London is an appalling city.
    Why say that? I work in London..it's good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've booked my flights for New York, end of next November. I can't wait it's somewhere I've always wanted to go. Even if I will look like a massive tourist American hIstory doesn't really interest me but it looks like there is a hell of a lot to see and do.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 months in advance? How much are tickets going for, like $2?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would rather live in Raleigh and it's not even close.