0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    What order will you watch them in?
    4, 1, 3, 5, 2

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shall be going to see this on Sunday with my 8 year old Nephew. I wouldn't bother with the cinema for it if it wasn't for him.

Therefore I can confirm this is a kid's film which hopefully will be a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere on another board, he's now confirming that it's an adult's film for the same reason.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we're settled on spoilers galore in here after midnight and general questions in the Film thread, right?

That makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What order will you watch them in?

I don't think it's as simple as being "for kids" or "for adults".
    I was contemplating that.

What would you suggest?

Anything that stops me having to sit through the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones back to back would be ideal.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently watching the first two, then the three prequels, then the last of the original trilogy puts a few things in better context, but that still leaves you watching the three prequels back to back so it's probably not ideal.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why wouldn't you watch them in their 'in universe' chronological order?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://theweek.com/speedreads/443582...ar-wars-movies

Apparently the best order is 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. And just leave out episode one.

I've only ever seen episode 4 and didn't think it was all that great but I might watch at least the other two from the original trilogy to see if I can understand a little what all the fuss is about.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might do that order this week.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch the pod race if you can tolerate all the "Yaaaahoooooooooooooooooooo!"s and the Darth Maul fight on Youtube then pretend Phantom Menace never happened.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a guy somewhere on the net who condensed the prequels into 2 hours (total) by cutting out all the crap and just focusing on Anakin becoming Darth Vader. It'll still be crap, but i'd watch that instead if I was doing a marathon.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest 4,5,6,1,2,3.

It will mange you appreciate how shitty the prequels are, if nothing else.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest 4,5,6,1,2,3.

It will mange you appreciate how shitty the prequels are, if nothing else.
    Why would you want to watch a series of films in an order to deliberately make some of them seem shitter?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Why would you want to watch a series of films in an order to deliberately make some of them seem shitter?
    Shitty in comparison, I mean. It would also somewhat ruin the old trilogy is you watched the prequels first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing.

I wouldn't say that I had high expectations going into it, because I was confident that it would 'just be good' - so:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could just as easily be called Star Wars: Original Trilogy Megamix which is a shame because it does a lot of things really well. The original characters who appear are used well, the new characters are well acted and given time to establish themselves rather than just there to tell Han Solo they think he's cool, the action is really good, it avoids much of the stuff that made 1-3 such a mess and much of the nostalgic stuff is there for an actual reason. And as Pavel said, it wasn't in a desperate hurry to blow it's load. It wasn't ten minutes of intro then OKAY NOW LIGHTSABERS.

On the flip side the story is unnecessarily convoluted in places (why does there need to be a Resistance? Why aren't they just forces of the Republic?), it basically lifts whole chunks of stuff from the originals when it comes to Starkiller Base () and the attack upon it and despite the stuff about it turning out that Kylo Ren is a Solo offspring he's a bit of a gimp. If Rey is some sort of Force prodigy savant and/or Ren was actively trying not to kill her because he wanted to turn her I'll buy it (even if it looked like she just outplayed him) but Fin just appeared to be chancing his arm. I know he's been raised for combat and all that but they ought to have had Ren dispose of him more handily. As it is Ren looks like he's got some impressive abilities with the Force but shits the bed as soon as somebody waves a lightsaber at him.

It is good though. Comfortably in the better half of Star Wars films. I'd probably put it a close third after the first film.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a spectacle, it's freaking amazing. The last scene is a bit lol though, with him just meditating on a cliff.

Are they actually gonna make Rey and Finn into a romance? I think I'd prefer it if they didn't.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echoing the above thoughts really, thought it was superb. Not as good as Empire but up there with the others. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the main girl was a lot like Keira Knightley.

I pretty much loved everything about it. I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Ian, except that I thought that Kylo Ren (and Snoke) were pretty cool.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably sound more down on Ren than I am. I think there were some mis-steps in the two fight scenes as I've said but he has some swish powers and him not just being Vader-light in his anger was good too. And while it was a bit abrupt I thought his part in Han's death scene was sound and him being afraid of a turn to the light is a decent enough spin on what we've had in the previous films.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the subversion of having Ren remove his mask really early. They set him up as this Vader 2.0, and then we quickly find out he's just a fanboy that can't control his emotions. I thought Driver did great.

Daisy Ridley was amazing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chewie really carried Han's death though. His pure anger when it just happened (and THAT shot) and then him sitting in the cockpit all alone later on.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a (bad) feeling (about this) that Chewie's going to die trying to avenge Han in the films to come.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He better not.

I do think the fact he's still (seemingly) 2nd in command of the Falcon is a bit of a kick in the teeth for him though. He's paid his dues, damn it!

Also, R2D2 is a bit of a dick for sleeping through the whole film despite possessing 95% of the map they were looking for. C3P0 even said he wouldn't have it, so it's not like they were aware of it and were just waiting for the missing bit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone else completely forget about the jacket, and just think BB8 was a massive racist for a while?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed it. It's certainly better than the prequels. A touch predictable, mind:
    "OK, so we've got girl Luke and black Han. There's ball R2-D2, Chewie is still Chewie, Young Darth Vader is Darth Vader, and I guess that's white Lando. I suppose that leaves Han Solo as Obi-w... aw crap."

It really did follow the original film almost beat-for-beat. But I'm pretty much happy for them to go with "tried-and-tested" rather than screwing the whole thing up. They made the Force feel properly mystical, which is so much better than anything to do with midichlorians.

EDIT: Rey is absolutely going to be Luke Jr., I reckon.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    http://theweek.com/speedreads/443582...ar-wars-movies

Apparently the best order is 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. And just leave out episode one.

I've only ever seen episode 4 and didn't think it was all that great but I might watch at least the other two from the original trilogy to see if I can understand a little what all the fuss is about.
    The best order is 4, 5, 6. Then 7.

Then never watching the prequels.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just realised that Luke Jr learnt the force in like 10 minutes whilst it took her dad 3 films. What will she be like by the end of episode 9...

But yea, pretty similar to a new hope but enough differences in the characters to make it interesting and worthwhile.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    I've just realised that Luke Jr learnt the force in like 10 minutes whilst it took her dad 3 films. What will she be like by the end of episode 9...

But yea, pretty similar to a new hope but enough differences in the characters to make it interesting and worthwhile.
    There are theories floating around that she might've been trained by Luke at a young age who then wiped her mind when he left, but that that left her close to her abilities.

Also read something that she might be the one Yoda talked about in the prequels who would "bring balance to the force". They might make both Rey and Ren into very "grey" force users from both perspectives, because she has some serious anger in her.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if we'll see ghost versions of Yoda and Darth Vader at some stage.

Also, presumably Lando's flying around the galaxy doing stuff. It'll be interesting to see if Billy Dee Williams is going to get some screentime at some point.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm bored.
    Is this worth going to watch if you hadn't seen the first 6?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was great. It lived up to expectations at the very least which, given the expectations, is no small thing. It was a bit of a circle jerk but it's hard to fault it too much because those moments (like the ending) were also brilliant. I did enjoy the fact that it was basically A New Hope all over again. You could basically read it as if A New Hope were actually good. I can definitely see this movie becoming iconic in the way the original ones did as well, which has got to be ultimately what they're aiming for.

It puts this into a new context as well:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's still worth seeing if you haven't seen the others. It's better if you have because there's a lot of nice references to the old movies but it'll still be good.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    I would say it's still worth seeing if you haven't seen the others. It's better if you have because there's a lot of nice references to the old movies but it'll still be good.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'd lose a lot by not having seen the others, personally. I don't know that I'd recommend somebody going to the cinema to see it as their first one.

Possibly does work though, I dunno.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, Miss Byron who hasn't seen any of the others just saw it with me and she loved it. Didn't feel like she missed much although I did have to explain a couple of references

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it with one friend who hasn't seen any of them. When Han Solo and Chewie comes out he whispers to me, "Is that Luke Skywalker?"

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else think that Ray is Han and Leia's kid too?

Similar hair to Leie (subtle nod), has the force, comment by Kylo Ren that he was like a father to her that she never had, echoes themes from the previous films. Chucked on a planet as a kid for her own protection, I reckon.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think she's Luke's child, because I'm sure Leia and Han would have mentioned having another kid. But it's not impossible, I had considered that too.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's related to one of them, I reckon. Leia didn't just approach her like a randomer at the end. I suppose she isn't a randomer anyway, but I reckon there's something there.

I can see it now. The end of Episode VIII:

Kylo Ren: No Rey, I am your brother!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, either way, Leia is her mother or her Aunt. She's certainly not completely unrelated.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has to be Luke's kid, why else would she have inherited the force, or get those flashbacks from his lightsaber?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Children don't have money, films are never aimed at them. They're aimed at parents who pay for the tickets, which is why nostalgia crap like Star Wars, and two-level nonsense like Shrek are both surefire box office winners. You could make the best children's film ever but nobody will watch it unless you can convince adults to take their children to it.
    This is ludicrous, by the way. Do you think adults really want to go see Minions? You could use the same argument to state that children's toys don't exist.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know plenty of manchilds who are also in love with that Minion shite.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it established that Force Sensitivity is inherited though?

I'd kinda like it if she wasn't related to any of the old gang.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's established in as much as Vader seemingly passed it to both his children.

She simply has to he related to Luke, but I could just about buy it being via Leia. I still don't think that will be the case though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adults definitely like Minions, look at how 99% of inspirational/sassy quotes shared on Facebook are illustrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed she was the daughter of Han and Leia, separated for her safety just like Luke.

Overall the Movie was great. The villain Snoke was a bit ?? who the fuck is he and why should I care? And the Death star 2.0. But not a big deal.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't heard there was another Death Star. Seems a bit of a cop out on the face of it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snoke was menacing and enigmatic. Not sure why he's recieving this reaction.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snoke was menacing and enigmatic. Not sure why he's recieving this reaction.
    I'm withholding any thoughts on him until the next movie is done. He could be excellent, or he could be terrible.

At this point though, I'm more than a little bit convinced that he's six inches tall.

EDIT: I've heard people suggest that he's Darth Plagueis, who was Palpatine's master that apparently "learned how to conquer death". He seems old enough that he should have been either doing something or hiding out during the original trilogy.