User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Computer Help Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Computer Help Thread

Idk if we have a thread for this, i couldn't find it.

Anyway, i've been having problems with my macbook pro. A few weeks ago it started shutting down in bursts, displaying the message "Your computer restarted becaused of a problem". I always managed to stave it off by installing all available Apple updates (thats what the Internet told me to do), which stopped the spontaneous shut downs for a few days at a time.

However, yesterday it started happening even when there were no updates left to install, and today I can't even get past the login screen, because it will shut down before the OS has a chance to get to the desktop. This renders the computer entirely unusable.

I've started it in OS recovery mode, done a disk repair (it said everything was a-ok, its all a prank, etc), started in safe mode, re-installed the OS, etc. I used to be able to get back on it after leaving it be for an hour, but no longer.

What should I do?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Idk if we have a thread for this, i couldn't find it.

Anyway, i've been having problems with my macbook pro. A few weeks ago it started shutting down in bursts, displaying the message "Your computer restarted becaused of a problem". I always managed to stave it off by installing all available Apple updates (thats what the Internet told me to do), which stopped the spontaneous shut downs for a few days at a time.

However, yesterday it started happening even when there were no updates left to install, and today I can't even get past the login screen, because it will shut down before the OS has a chance to get to the desktop. This renders the computer entirely unusable.

I've started it in OS recovery mode, done a disk repair (it said everything was a-ok, its all a prank, etc), started in safe mode, re-installed the OS, etc. I used to be able to get back on it after leaving it be for an hour, but no longer.

What should I do?
    I.T. Helpdesk.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The letter 'K' has come off my keyboard and I can't get it back on.

My laptop is 4 years old now and I'd been thinking it might be time for a change at some point, but I prefer to wait until the thing itself actually breaks. Currently there's nothing else wrong with it except a battery that's on its arse. I'd rather keep it if I can but this missing letter 'K' is fucking annoying when I'm trying to type. I can still type the letter but I have to press my finger right into the sensor in order to do it, and it fucks up my flow entirely, as you can imagine.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could buy a new laptop keyboard.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed it

I broke it in the first place through my own stupidity, but that satisfaction and trying for so long .

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of accounts hacked, so might be a good time to change some passwords if you've been using the same ones for anything like Paypal, etc. I've just had a pain in the hole re-signing back into everything with the 2-step for Gmail but hopefully now that it's activated I won't have to the next time.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...ed-data-breach

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's International Password Day too.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone use a password manager?

Y'know, those programs that generate different passwords for every website you use but only require the one password (probably with two-step verification) for you to log into them?

Any recommendations?
    @Raoul Duke, possibly? Or @Giggles?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Does anyone use a password manager?

Y'know, those programs that generate different passwords for every website you use but only require the one password (probably with two-step verification) for you to log into them?

Any recommendations?
    @Raoul Duke, possibly? Or @Giggles?
    I tried a few like 1Password and LastPass (supposedly the best two Android ones with desktop sync) but I just don't like the idea of having passwords I don't actually know, or having them all in the one place like that. I just make up my own using a sequence that has no reference to anything real world but that I can find or remember if needs be.
    Recently added 2-step to my Google account though. It's a pain in the hole but I think I've signed into every device now.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to use one for a while. 1Password is probably the one I'd go for, based on my research.

Safari does a decent job of suggesting new passwords, but it lacks the smarts to audit your existing ones to see where you've reused a load of them.

The golden rule (if you don't use one) is to ensure your email one is unique. It's the one where if someone gets access they can wreak the most havoc as they can reset other sites. Make sure that has 2FA and you should be safe (ish).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's 2FA?

I'm running about six different passwords right now. It's a bit of a pain.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    What's 2FA?

I'm running about six different passwords right now. It's a bit of a pain.
    2-Factor Authentication. Basically every time you sign into a new device you'll need to use your password plus an extra step (mine is that I get an SMS with a 6 digit code). I just have it enabled on my Google account because, as Raoul says, if anyone was in my GMail they could reset any of my other passwords.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, I've been offered that. I always tell them to fuck off because I don't want to give them my number (which I know is stupid.)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ebay account was hacked once and they bought a bunch of wedding rings and some trainers. It was easy to deal with but then I had to change my password to everything, which is where the current bunch comes from. They are all random letters basically, unless you know where they come from.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed tabs in Chrome crashing a lot of late - sometimes they just freeze (and become completely unresponsive - can't even be closed), sometime that aww snap thing comes up, other times they just become unresponsive but can be closed. Any ideas (other than lol use firefox)?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the fuck do you delete a page in MS Word? It sounds like it should be really easy but I've tried everything and the blank one at the end won't fuck off.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've probably got some blank spaces on the page - does that make sense? Put the cursor on the page and then just backspace until it disappears (the page that is)?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't at all. Even with a CTRL* I'm only showing a single line break at the top of the page. It's a template I downloaded so it must be locked by the author or something but I thought there would be a way in Word to get rid of a blank page.

The main problem is that I want to save it as a PDF and upload it (it's a CV), so is there any way of deleting the page once it's in PDF format? Adobe DC doesn't seem to have the option either.

EDIT: Found an online tool that I could upload the PDF to and it let me download a zip with each page as a separate file. Happy days.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I need some recommendations.

I'm after a Mac compatible external hard drive, ideally about 4TB, that can take files larger than 4GB. My current hard drive is starting to get full, and won't take big files which means I can't shift them from my laptop, and am therefore starting to run out of space on there too.

Gonna have a look down town today, but some pointers would be very welcome.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been years since I did this, probably on Windows XP, but what is the best way to make an exact copy of a CD to a blank CD using Windows 10? Is there any software in there already or do I need to download something?
    I don't need it to be able for playback or anything and I don't need to remove any protection (hospital scans not music), so it's just a direct copy (copies) I need.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just copy the files onto your hard drive, and then burn them onto a blank disc then.

Or:
    http://www.imgburn.com/

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been a long time since i placed videos onto a disc to watch ona dvd player. What is a good app that can do this as all the ones ive tried, are awful.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Literally the two posts above yours discuss this exact topic... (replacing CDRW with DVDRW)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got all sorted but the fucking hospital files were 768MB, so I need blank DVD's myself instead of the CD's I bought.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hospital scans? You gonna be a dad or something?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Hospital scans? You gonna be a dad or something?
    Not fucking likely at my age. They're for my own Dad, he was in a bad accident a few weeks back and needs copies for physio/insurance/etc but hospital only give you one set.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a reason they need to be on a disc, why not just keep them (or copies) on a usb?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Is there a reason they need to be on a disc, why not just keep them (or copies) on a usb?
    He's to hand them over to the likes of insurance, and wants to keep the originals. Found some DVD's online anyway (Tesco don't seem to stock here any more).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really help, but does anyone have any experience with Raspberry Pi's? I remember them being talked about on here but not sure who. @Samadini maybe?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Sama is into them.

I want to get one, but never quite get around to it

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit of work with them on prototypes using them as a PLC and HMI but in reality the faff wasn't worth the minimal cost save. Maybe for something more complex, but it's been a fair while now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm finding chrome is crashing a lot at the moment.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a toomerhawk 2000.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone found a way of stopping Windows Update restarting your system whenever it likes? For some reason they thought it was a good idea to take away the option for manual restarts in Windows 10 and I would really like it back.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I had to turn Windows Update off instead because they put out an update that bricked my specific graphics card and every time I'd update, would need to reformat.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen this. I get a notification that it will restart later on when it downloads updates and I can click 'Restart Now' from there if I like.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I've never seen this. I get a notification that it will restart later on when it downloads updates and I can click 'Restart Now' from there if I like.
    Yeah, and if you click on the notification you can only set it to install somewhere between x pm and x am

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    And if I don't want to restart now? There's no option to do it manually at a time of my choosing, which is tremendously inconvenient.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if I don't want to restart now? There's no option to do it manually at a time of my choosing, which is tremendously inconvenient.
    What phonics said. Mine is set between 2 and 5 am.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which wouldn't be convenient. I want to stop it doing any kind of scheduled restarts and just finish updating when I do a manual restart

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which wouldn't be convenient. I want to stop it doing any kind of scheduled restarts and just finish updating when I do a manual restart
    I'm wrong anyway, I'm thinking of my older machine. On W10 you can only set your active hours (which it won't install updates during) and it can only be a max of 12 hours.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any way to remove a default file association in Windows 10? I needed to open a file earlier to edit some code in it but now the association with notepad is fucking things up and I can't see how to remove notepad as a default.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to change it to something else but I'm not sure about removing it entirely.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to change it to something else but I'm not sure about removing it entirely.
    I think you could in 7 but I'm stumped trying to find it on this. Might not be possible without editing the registry for Notepad.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go into default applications then there's a button to reset to defaults, that might work (I'm not testing on mine).

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go into default applications then there's a button to reset to defaults, that might work (I'm not testing on mine).
    Sweet. I'm beat at the moment so I'll take the consequences if they all reset.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That only changes default app stuff like the browser, media player, etc. Was able to get round it by changing the full file name using Rename in the command prompt but still can't see a way to reset the default.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you not just select "Open With"?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Could you not just select "Open With"?
    I don't want it to open with anything. It's a command file for a machine.

Basically I use software to generate a file and it has the extension .ABC. Then normal way is to edit the file name on the PC to extension .XYZ, put it on an SD and job done.
    This time I had to open the file to edit a command (that the software hadn't the option for) so I had to open it with Notepad and do it. Naturally windows set all .ABC files as default Notepad files (I didn't uncheck 'always', not knowing you couldn't change back). But now when I change the file to .XYZ it still stays as a notepad file and the machine won't recognise it. On closer inspection in properties the filename is now filename.xyz.abc even though you only see filename.xyz in file manager, which looks OK but it meant you can't edit the true extension.
    You need to go to command prompt and do a RENAME filename.xyz.abc filename.xyz and then it switches back to normal format and works. Still doesn't cure the default though and I'd need to do that every time.

tl/dr: I stupidly presumed Windows 10 wasn't shit but it is.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. It's been literally the same since Windows XP. In explorer, go to View > Display File Extensions.