User Tag List

Thread: Bolton in the shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bolton in the shit

Bolton are in a bit of a situation at the moment. When I say ' a bit of a situation' though, I actually mean the future of the club is well and truly in the balance.

Eddie Davies, the owner, wants to sell up, and there are currently 3 parties in negotiations to buy the club. One is fronted by Dean Holdsworth, but also including other former players are everyone's favourite Amir Khan. The second is fronted by Stelios Giannakopoulos, whilst the third, which I personally think he made up, is 'from the middle east with links to the area.' The first two have been confirmed by the men themselves, and Holdsworth watched the game against Cardiff at the weekend.

On the surface this seems like a pretty good situation for the club. It is evident and well-known that we are shit, and have been in decline for a good number of years. The extent of our debt has been well publicised, and currently lies well over 100 million, with the club losing around 1 million a month. This debt was all owed to Eddie Davies himself though, so the situation wasn't as perilous as it could have been - the monthly losses are a bigger issue. Now, in order to try and get a deal for the club struck, Davies has had to promise to wipe off all debt, essentially meaning that should a takeover be completed we will be debt free, and will hopefully have new investment in order to actually buy and pay some players.

During the whole process a few changes have happened in the board room, to facilitate a takeover, making everything run as smooth as possible. The biggest move in this was chairman, and campaigner of the 'two tiered Premiership,' Phil Gartside, who every Bolton fan thinks is a massive cunt. What we have just learnt today though is that he is 'gravely ill.' To me that suggests he is going to die, which obviously would be terrible, but he might just have a cold.

As this has run on during the past month, shit has started to get serious for the club. Staff haven't been paid for 2 months. This includes players and all staff working for the club, which is a dramatic escalation I wasn't expecting - I did believe having Ameobi and Heskey as strikers was actually the limit. We are being threatened with a winding up order from HMRC over an unpaid 2 million, and administration is looming.

There are basically 3 scenarios which could play out from this point onwards. Firstly, we get bought, everyone gets to keep their jobs, we continue to struggle in the league but at least we exist. Secondly, we fall into administration, face definite relegation to League 1 as a result of the points penalty, are subsequently bought out and struggle in League 1 for however long. Lastly, a takeover doesn't happen, we can't pay our bills, we fall into administration, the club is stripped bare of it's stadium, training ground, hotels and properties, and we are left with absolutely nothing.

I have no idea what will happen, but the way things seem today, and the lack of progress in talks suggests that the most likely next stage is administration and then who knows what.

I'm sure you will all join me in feeling very upset about this.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An example on not how to run a club. I can imagine Fulham are equally close to shitsville.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the attendances still dire? I watched a game last year and had a whole row to myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Are the attendances still dire? I watched a game last year and had a whole row to myself.
    13,241 against Cardiff
    12,731 against Brentford
    14,239 against Bristol City
    18.178 against Leeds
    13,703 against Birmingham

The Reebok (err, Macron) holds 28,723.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If most of their debt is owed to Edwin Davies, he won't write it off. More likely he'll sell Bolton Wanderers for the cost of the debt and a tenner and claim he wrote the debt off, otherwise he could just write the debt off right this second and ensure somebody picks it up (which they would).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what he is doing, though. He is saying to all interested parties that the debt will be wiped off upon completion. If he wipes the debt off now, he risks a takeover collapsing and getting absolutely nothing.

The cost of the debt owed to him is over 100 million. Who in their right minds would buy Bolton for that price plus a tenner. We're most likely going to be around 10-15 million, including training facilities, stadium and all that shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly no takeover has happened yet, and Bolton are certainly getting relegated. Yesterday it was us in 24th against Rotherham in 23rd position, resulting in a 4-0 defeat for us, which is a good suggestion that the players and possibly manager have given up. Any players of any value will be sold on this January, including Moxey, Davies, Vela and most importantly Clough. For the last 2 seasons, Clough has been the only positive, looking like a quality striker. He will doubtlessly go on to a decent club and score a shit load of goals. All of this does mean, though, that when we are in League 1, we are going to continue to struggle.

Another month of players not being paid will mean they can do similar to Rangers and cancel their contracts.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to that American chap who looked really good and then broke his leg twice?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Holden

He used to be a professional gamer.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multiple ruptured ACLs. Ouch.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I read, he's still fucked.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all funny because Charlie.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they could do a Stockport.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is Lennon still in charge after threatening his wife with a knife?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess, technically a day. As soon as you are not paid in line with your contract, which presumably is something along the lines of 'last working day of the month', then it's breach of contract, I would have thought. Come January, when players can actually sign for clubs, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few jump ship.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's Heskey doing?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crippled.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bolton have a shit load of debt and a truly despicable manager. Feel sorry for the fans but at the end of the day you have to live within your means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmSmiff View Post
    How long before players can legally cancel contract due to not being paid?
    3 months apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    How is Lennon still in charge after threatening his wife with a knife?
    We can't afford to hire a new manager, or pay for any legal fees required in sacking him. The transfer embargo stops us from spending any money.

I'm actually finding all of this pretty exciting, as I'm interested to see where we end up when all this is over.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I wonder if they could do a Stockport.
    It's worryingly easy nowadays. Tranmere's decline hasn't been as far and as quick, but from top of League 1 at the end of 2012 to Conference by 2015 must be hard to swallow for their fans.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's good in a sense. Teams who are financially mismanaged suffer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's happened to Bolton is completely deserved for everyone involved. If you run the club like a business, but get it into a£170m debt, you should lose it all.

Hopefully it goes bankrupt and they lose the lot. Bolton can start again at the bottom and it will be a laugh.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    It's worryingly easy nowadays. Tranmere's decline hasn't been as far and as quick, but from top of League 1 at the end of 2012 to Conference by 2015 must be hard to swallow for their fans.
    Certainly not as quick but it has been further. They were second tier play off mainstays in the late 1990s with John Aldridge banging them in all over the shop. He then led them, as manager, to the League Cup final in 2000 in which I watched them lose to us. They were struggling in the Championship by then but it's still some fall from there.

Inevitable for some of these North West clubs, I think. So many professional clubs around the area with a handful of really big ones. I imagine the television exposure for the bigger clubs these days captures more local fans, which is the one thing the smaller clubs up there have been able to rely on to keep them going forever.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately what little broadcasting money there is available is all going to Salford.