User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you live?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you live?

Not specifically, more what sort of area do you live in? As in, do you live out in the countryside, in a village, in a town, in a city?

I'm currently in a boring little village outside a boring small town. I want to go live in a big city again but I've been thinking more recently that I'll probably want to move to a smaller town/village when I'm older and (possibly) want to raise a family. How depressingly conventional.

What about you? Where do you live now? Do you see yourself moving in the future?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Not specifically, more what sort of area do you live in? As in, do you live out in the countryside, in a village, in a town, in a city?

I'm currently in a boring little village outside a boring small town. I want to go live in a big city again but I've been thinking more recently that I'll probably want to move to a smaller town/village when I'm older and (possibly) want to raise a family. How depressingly conventional.

What about you? Where do you live now? Do you see yourself moving in the future?
    I live just beside what used to be a small rural village until the late 90's. It's just one enormous housing estate that has been swallowed up by Dublin now. It's close to motorways and 35 minutes away from the city centre on the bus though, and work is 3km away. We will be moving next year though as it takes the Mrs an hour and a half to get 9km to her work with the way traffic has got in the last 6 months.

Long term I want to live in the country away from people.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live in the city. Would like to live in a smaller city preferably near the mountains.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A town of around 10,000 folk, nine miles or so from Dundee. It's alright, though will move to the city (Dundee) or Broughty Ferry - suburb of Dundee.

It's the perfect area of Scotland for travelling and what not. Will move to California when Dundee United go bust.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an industrial area of Wolverhampton, lots of factories, noise and so forth.

Live currently in the relatively quite centre of the Cotswolds known as Cheltenham, small, can recognise most of the places. Nice place to live really as schools are great, job prospects are good, people alright, just wholly unaffordable sadly to buy a house.

Wouldn't mind living elsewhere but girlfriend will never leave here so that's is out the window.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm bang in the centre of a really boring, grey and cold city.

Think longer term id rather live somewhere hotter. Is happily set up shop in Texas.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beeston, quite rough area of Leeds where a woman got raped at a bus stop recently and is where the 7/7 bombers were from.

However, the actual building I live in is a fucking eco-friendly, yoghurt knitting paradise where everyone is scared of their own shadow and especially scared of the 10 year old local street urchins that hang around in front of our building. It's embarrassing how daft people are about it. Everyone's all about progressive politics but are unable to chat to a few kids - you know, the kind of people they care so much about - without getting a laughed at.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im in a town (Hinckley, just on the Leicestershire side of the border with Warwickshire) but right on the edge. From the upstairs front windows I can see the countryside (which is just across the town's perimeter road) and it would take me less than five minutes on foot to be in the fields. I'd like to move into one of the many beautiful rural villages within ten or so minutes drive from me at some point. I've no desire to live in a city again. I did so for more than twenty years and I quite liked it, but I'm done with it now. I'm close enough to three biggish cities that I can pop in whenever I like.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inner suburbs of a city of around 8,000,000. I am in a great location... 15 minutes to the city centre, yet my apartment looks over green fields, and there are rice paddies about 10 minutes away to the south, and quality beach resorts about 2hrs away. Traffic and pollution is a cunt, but watching the city grow day-by-day in pretty amazing.
    I like the convenience of living in a city, though as most I imagine, I would like to retire to a quiet little English village.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through the week I live and work in perhaps one of the most remote parts of the UK, an island of about 600 people that is two ferries away from the mainland of an island itself considered laughably isolated. Then weekends and the odd weeknight I spend at my parents, which is in a small seaside village of said larger island.

I've enjoyed things a lot more than I previously thought I might - and does make you appreciate certain things a lot more - but I'd still like to go back to living in a major city at some point in future.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small town in Norfolk, not that far from Norwich.

I like it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the city. Has both it's perks and drawbacks.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the absolute center of the City, with a transport hub to anywhere right outside my place and all the shops and bars with easy accessibility. Yet somehow it's still quiet. I couldn't live anywhere else now.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you not living it up in London @Boydy? Is the small town back in NI?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Are you not living it up in London @Boydy? Is the small town back in NI?
    I've been back in NI for over a year now.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, know where I would live? The Duplexes directly opposite me. They look amazing.

The best photo I can find of them:
    Toggle Spoiler

but it doesn't do them justice in the slightest. I'm not sure whether it's the type of people that could afford these sort of places or what but they're decor'd like they're straight out of the movies and they're all completely different.

One guy seems to have a completely empty huge room apart from a skull in the shape of fairy lights on a curtained wall, a giant HD projector on the other wall and his computer facing out to the view of me having a fag.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a town on the Thames in Surrey. In the grand scheme of things it's very prosperous indeed, although the neighbouring towns look down on us somewhat as they're posher and richer. I like it here as there are real people, as opposed to the caricature stockbroker belt types you get in the surrounding area.

It's close enough to London to feel like civilisation, yet far enough away not to be full of insufferable wankers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two miles out from the city centre, West Belfast.

It is lacking in infrastructure (nearest bank is in the city centre), decidedly inclusive socially; and seems more like a small boring town residential area that has been eclipsed by the arterial routes into the city around it.

Shall be moving back to South Belfast near the park/actual trees, greenery as soon as I find a good place. Somewhere with a bit of character less like the Ken Loach film with the contrast turned down area I currently live in.

I've never seen so many fresh dog-shits per day in the street, everyone must own two dogs, feed them kebabs from King Kebab, and walk them specifically to shit on every street. If you threw a hoop down randomly in the street you'd find at least one fresh one, and one disintegrating one within it statistically.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Two miles out from the city centre, West Belfast.

It is lacking in infrastructure (nearest bank is in the city centre), decidedly inclusive socially; and seems more like a small boring town residential area that has been eclipsed by the arterial routes into the city around it.

Shall be moving back to South Belfast near the park/actual trees, greenery as soon as I find a good place. Somewhere with a bit of character less like the Ken Loach film with the contrast turned down area I currently live in.

I've never seen so many fresh dog-shits per day in the street, everyone must own two dogs, feed them kebabs from King Kebab, and walk them specifically to shit on every street. If you threw a hoop down randomly in the street you'd find at least one fresh one, and one disintegrating one within it statistically.
    Used to knock off a thing from Ardenlee or something like that. Was nice around there. West Belfast is bleak.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck are you doing in West Belfast, @Pavel?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a small village very close to the M1 motorway. It's nice, but I spend a lot of time elsewhere as that's where other people are.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fairly small town of Hitchin with a population of just over 33,000.

It's quiet, good transport links (45 minutes from London by car, 30 minutes by train, 20 minutes from Luton airport etc), we can look down upon those from scummy Stevenage and it's good enough for Guillem Ballague.

Oh and King Henry the 8th attempted to pole vault over the town river but the pole snapped and he landed in the river. So it has plenty of history.

I can't see myself ever moving, I really do like it here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to knock off a thing from Ardenlee or something like that. Was nice around there. West Belfast is bleak.
    Bleak? It makes Soviet Russia look loving and warm.

What the fuck are you doing in West Belfast, @Pavel?
    Can a raging Protestant not walk among the land that his father wore, Stephen!

Is that even how that song goes?

I was between houses, as the last three people I was living with all went their separate ways and the landlord (cunt that he chose to be) decided to go back on giving me the house to manage, most likely so he could raise the individual rents as high as he wanted; so I ended up jumping into a spare room with two guys I knew to tide me over, been here almost a year now.

The house is alright, landlord is sweet and the rent is good. So there are positives despite its resemblance to Bosnia.

...and there would need to be, saying as two lads were shot in the legs at the bottom of the street about a week ago. Time to move before the neighbours decide my well spoken dialect is too high born and I gets' sniffed out as being a big old massive Ulsterman.

Was chatting to the lady in the Chinese the other day, and when asked about the football I accidentally said British League, instead of Premier League.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Village a couple of miles out from Durham. Its quiet but I've always preferred city living.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the town bit of a small island. It's pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a castle protecting you lot from the French.

You're welcome.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Was chatting to the lady in the Chinese the other day, and when asked about the football I accidentally said British League, instead of Premier League.
    You're not on the Shankill then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not on the Shankill then?
    Falls.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better people there anyway. More fun. Not so dour.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's bleaker than bleak. I was only on it once to get out cash when I was visiting that dodgy car breakers up the mountain but you'd even be shitting it at an ATM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brought up in countryside villages/hamlets, but now live in a ridiculously busy city. It's an unusual transition, having to live in an apartment, but more difficult to adjust to is the feeling of instant action as soon as you step out of the door. Every morning I will leave my house, walk down a calm lane and then be greeted by chaos, which will continue until I arrive at work or home again. It can get pretty tiring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better people there anyway. More fun. Not so dour.
    You must be joking?

We drink occasionally with the next door neighbours, and they never fuck up about the Brits. Broken record.

Every single time.

Then the questions come when they get drunk enough, "Mate, yer' nat fram' here, are ye'...?"

Personally, I don't mind massively, but after a year of this it has started to wear me down repeatedly telling them that despite their blinkered lives I am neither a Catholic or a Protestant.

And all of the children are thieving hoodlums as well. A wee kid of about nine tried to sneak up and steal something out of my bag once whilst I was walking from the shop. Wee cunt.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just meant Catholics generally are more fun than Prods (contrast their funerals, for instance) not that the Falls is any good. I'm sure it's still shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's bleaker than bleak. I was only on it once to get out cash when I was visiting that dodgy car breakers up the mountain but you'd even be shitting it at an ATM.
    There's at least five offies in the area, one ATM that sometimes works and nothing resembling civilisation bar the faint lights on the horizon.

Although there are the Balls on the Falls...so there is.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    In a town on the outskirts of Southend; about 3 miles from Southend town centre. From wiki:

"Philip Reeve's 2006 novel Larklight mentions 'a squalid spot called [insert town here]'."

Sums it up. Only moved down here with my mum (and brother) when she divorced by dad, so that she could be closer to family. Definitely won't live here in the long term.
    Shoeburyness is a bit of a shithole, I don't blame you for not wanting to stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just meant Catholics generally are more fun than Prods (contrast their funerals, for instance) not that the Falls is any good. I'm sure it's still shite.
    Oh, no that I completely agree with. I imagine that's part of what I found wrong with everyone at school in Ballymena.

Sweeping generalisation. Protestants are odd folk. There's a form of pompousness to their craic' that is, just odd to be around.

Nothing like being at a party were everyone's making jokes about the RA, and someone takes them seriously.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North London. It's a class place to live with the right amount of peace and liveliness. I was in Westhumble the other day for football which made me pine for a slightly quieter and cleaner aired life.

I think when I'm at a part of my career when I can pick my job easier then I'll be off to Europe (Germany, Portugal or Italy) or follow the wife to Edinburgh. We both prefer the sun so hopefully it's the former.

leedsrevolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Beeston, quite rough area of Leeds where a woman got raped at a bus stop recently and is where the 7/7 bombers were from.

However, the actual building I live in is a fucking eco-friendly, yoghurt knitting paradise where everyone is scared of their own shadow and especially scared of the 10 year old local street urchins that hang around in front of our building. It's embarrassing how daft people are about it. Everyone's all about progressive politics but are unable to chat to a few kids - you know, the kind of people they care so much about - without getting a laughed at.
    Literally a 5 minute drive away from me. Live in Morley @Hammer

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carnoustie, fairly small town but far enough away from Dundee.

About ideal for me, I'd hate to live in a city.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twickenham in South-West London. It's alright, for living in a big city. I live literally neighbouring work, so that's handy. About 30 mins to walk+train into Waterloo.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bethnal Green, East London. It's an awesome place and I doubt I'll ever live anywhere quite as well-connected, fun but still pretty 4 REAL. London is great and I'd recommend anyone to live here, at least for a part of their lives. Just don't stay here.

We're probably going to buy a place somewhere soon, but that'll be a bit more further out where things are vaguely more affordable.

Longer-term we want to move country. Due to what I do for work there are only a few places I can find jobs, but they're pretty sweet places to be. Berlin, Amsterdam or Madrid/Barcelona are likely destinations.

I'll probably end up having some goddamn children and moving to fucking Stevenage or something equally uninspiring though

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stevenage

Don't, it's so much worse than you could ever imagine Raoul.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Through the week I live and work in perhaps one of the most remote parts of the UK, an island of about 600 people that is two ferries away from the mainland of an island itself considered laughably isolated. Then weekends and the odd weeknight I spend at my parents, which is in a small seaside village of said larger island.

I've enjoyed things a lot more than I previously thought I might - and does make you appreciate certain things a lot more - but I'd still like to go back to living in a major city at some point in future.
    Millionaire island?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Hedon, which is a nice town six miles east of Hull.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Live in the city. Would like to live in a smaller city preferably near the mountains.
    Not even kidding, come to Salt Lake City. Especially if you like mountain-biking.

I live in an upper-middle-class liberal neighborhood of Salt Lake City, on a hill overlooking the valley. I love it here, there's nowhere else I'd live in Salt Lake. The foothills are right behind us, it's actually the perfect combination of being urban but still having the great outdoors right here. One drawback is that biking is a pain because of the uphill.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind Salt Lake City although Colorado is the preferred destination.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only AE hadn't cocked that one up. Not that Denver really has mountains (well, it does, but not compared to Salt Lake City). Boulder is full of wankers apparently.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everywhere is full of wankers tbf.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as Durham hosts any event, everyone suffocates. Its a postcard with ideas way above its station because someone decided city status could be awarded for fancy churches.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outdoorsy, latte-sipping wankers though. The kind of people that Magic absolutely despises it. That's just what I heard from a guy who lived there and ended up leaving because he didn't like the people.

Salt Lake isn't really full of wankers tbh.