User Tag List

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Thread

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I'm looking at upgrading is the Mrs has been without a phone for a fair bit. Idea is I'd upgrade and she'd get the 6+ I have.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    The reason I'm looking at upgrading is the Mrs has been without a phone for a fair bit. Idea is I'd upgrade and she'd get the 6+ I have.
    Why are you looking at Android ones though? Would that 6S+ not be a better option if you want to change now?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because there's essentially no difference in price and the Androids have QHD screens these days.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Did you get a look at the HTC 10 (if they'll be stocking it)?

Why are you changing from the iPhone anyway?
    Didn't see this.

The HTC 10 isn't here yet. I'll be interested to see how it does though. If I remember right HTC have more debt than they do money in the bank so they need this to work.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all accounts it's very good, only letting down a bit on camera. I really don't like the look of it myself. If you're going Android then I'd be looking at he S7 Edge or the Nexus 6P though there's apparently a refresh of the latter on the way already with a processor and RAM upgrade.

One word of warning though, if you don't like a case or cover on a phone steer clear of the Samsung. It feels lovely but that screen is ripe for the smashing. First phone I've ever insured or put a cover on.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spending forty odd quid a month on a phone seems ridiculous.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what you're getting for it. I always preferred to buy the phone outright so I could get a good tarriff without getting a phone from the operator, though these days I get the phone and the bill paid from work and they let me sell it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have kids, so insurance on everything!

As for paying £40 odd a month for a phone. I don't mind so long as that includes the insurance. I've learnt my lesson that. Especially as Samsung seem to want to put glass on glass with their new devices. I've only ever dropped my current phone once after the headphone cord snagged on something, but the Samsungs looks slippery as hell.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of the clear Spigen Crystal cases but I've been meaning to buy a skin so I can get rid of it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up in the O2 shop yesterday and came out with the G5. The woman in the shop sold me by reminding me the specs of both phones are essentially the same so if unsure to go for the cheaper one.

Now I've got home I'm not so sure on it. It doesn't exactly feel great in the hand. The screen even on full brightness seems nowhere close to the S7 and is a difficult to see on a bright day like today. The chin of it is plastic, which is a little disappointing. I've already opened the camera several times just trying to alter the volume(the camera shortcut on the G5 is a double press of the volume down button). Speaking of the camera, it takes beautiful pictures when it focuses. Unfortunately it seems very jittery until then. Taking photos of anything moving is essentially a no go.
    The most concerning thing for me has been the battery though. I left for work at 5:30 this morning at 100% and a 10 minute call on my break aside, it wasn't touched until I got home. By the time I went back on it at 3 it was down to 78%. I'm hoping this is due to it trying to install things but if not then that's a bit crap.

They did say I had 14 days to change my mind...

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LG batteries are generally poor but are always terrible for the first 2 days or so, so you should see improvement.

I'd still swap it for an S7 though.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very tempted. I'm going to see how it gets on tomorrow with a full actual days use.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further thoughts on the G5.

The camera is bloody gorgeous. This is the first phone where I've noticed facebook compressing the image. I uploaded a picture the other day that looks stunning on the phone but has definitely suffered by the time it was uploaded. I've got used to the power button placement now and it makes you wonder why all phones don't have it there, but then you lay it on a desk and find out.
    The display definitely doesn't seem that bright. I keep it at about 60% indoors but it has to be at close to 100% outside, especially if sunny. No chance of seeing anything otherwise. This brings me to the bad mark against the phone. Battery life is still shit. When I unplugged to leave for work today it was on about 90%. Despite only having 45 mins of screen on time I now sit at 64%. I've made sure that's not including any background downloads either. Expanding that out that looks like it's 25% for 45 mins of battery. This would only give 3 hours of screen time which really isn't great at all.
    One thing I will say in its defence is that it was in my locker which has very limited signal. If it were constantly searching then I could understand some of that battery drain.

I've got used to the feel in the hand. Coming from a smooth 6+ it felt very sharp but it's okay now. The plastic chin does take something away quality wise too. I do wish they hadn't coated the metal of the main body though as it feels a little odd. I've noticed it also gets very warm during games or multiple downloads. Does the S7 do this @Giggles ?

Right now I'm leaning towards going in and asking to swap to the S7 edge. It has almost the exact same internals, a bigger battery and from what I can tell a better screen. If the G5 didnt have such a good camera it would already be a done deal.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LG's are notorious for horrible battery if you don't have a good signal, though it's always worth uninstalling updates to Play Services and letting it re-update too as that definitely helped battery life on my G2 and G4. I always liked the rear button placement on LG's personally but it's a bit of a pain when you're using a fingerprint scanner if it's back there too. The Samsung placement, for all I dislike about physical and capacative buttons on the front, works much better.

As for the S7, the only time I've noticed my Edge getting hot is if I'm navigating at the same time as it's wirelessly charging but it's never been enough to make it reboot or slow down though. The screen is the best I've seen on anything and looks good at any angle or in any light on auto. The battery is great. It's regressed a little as the last software update upgraded some of the Knox stuff which uses a bit more but it just means I'm down to 5.5 hours screen time instead of 7 without turning anything off to scrimp on it (GPS on high, screen on auto, bluetooth always on, etc).
    I've played with the camera more lately and have found it easily up with the G4 (the main camera in the G5 is the same one as the G4) though the wide angle stuff with the G5 is brilliant (you can do it with the Samsung with their lens case but fuck that for a faff). The focus speed on the S7 is unlike anything I've seen on a phone camera too. I can stick up some photos if you want a look. Touchwiz finally looks and works well too and I don't even use a 3rd party launcher any more and the optional Good Lock interface is getting better all the time with monthy updates.

If I had the choice then I'd be taking the Samsung out of those two as the only area the G5 is better is the camera and that's only marginal because of the extra wide lens on the back. The only other reason would be the modules or being able to swap the battery but they look a bit crap at this stage.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gray Fox, some S7 photos (imgur, so probably huge).

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right then. I think I'm sold. I'm on lates this week so it's a case of keeping the phone safe until then.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right then. I think I'm sold. I'm on lates this week so it's a case of keeping the phone safe until then.

Might be worth a look too as some camera elements may suit what you want more than others.

(Try to ignore the tossers tie).

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seemed very one sided there. That said, the S7 being on a bigger aperture and having the bigger pixel thing going on should dominate the G5 in dimmer light.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to visit the Mrs in hospital today swung it for me. It's about a 75 minute journey on a couple of buses. From leaving on 100% to getting to her I went down to 76% with only listening to music on soundcloud and the occasional reply to a text.

I appreciate that it charges rapidly but that is way too much used and a deal breaker. I don't want to be carrying a charger or battery bank with me 24/7. I managed to get into the O2 store just about 10 past 5 and asked if I could swap it as I'm within the 14 day period. Woman went ahead and cancelled the current deal and took my G5 back but then told me because it's so close to closing time, the new 'sale' wont go through and it'll automatically be set to hold for 24 hours.

I'm assuming what's really going on is them checking the phone over and making sure I haven't broken it, but it would have been nice to know this before hand as now I've no phone. If I do have to wait the full 24 hours it'll be a tight squeeze for tomorrow too.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bit of a pisser. I didn't even know O2 existed anywhere any more either. The best option with the LG, for least bulk, is to carry the extra battery but you don't really want to be doing that either. I'm still not convinced that the 'chin' won't eventually wear if it's removed and replaced a lot.

Which Samsung is it again? The regular S7 you said was it? One thing I'd say is definitely get a case for it. I hate them but the glass back scares the bejesus out of me.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S7 Edge I'll be going for. Going from 2800mAh to 3600mAh of battery should be really noticable.

I'll be looking to put a skin on it. I really hate cases.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S7 Edge I'll be going for. Going from 2800mAh to 3600mAh of battery should be really noticable.

I'll be looking to put a skin on it. I really hate cases.
    I did the same as I like to use it without a case unless I'm in work. Got a class white carbon fibre one from dbrand.
    If you're putting a screen protector on it then take a look at Screen Knight. It was the fourth one I tried and the best by far as you put it on wet, so it's really easy to line up and get bubble free. Yet to hear of a tempered glass one for the Edge that isn't shite.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Dbrand is where I'll likely end up going. The thing should be fully insured just in case that all fails tough.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google are amazing.

I did to my new tablet what I did to my old. Fell on the bathroom tiles (I'm just going to place it in the corner on the floor from now on ffs) and it cracked.

I've just spoken to Paul from Google and they'll be sending me a new one and I have to return the damaged one.

Oh and I'll be buying a screen protector.

Oh and yes, I am a fucking idiot.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably thought you were a freak for taking it to the bog.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blamed a nephew dropping it on the floor.

I always blame a child for any damage that I do.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too blame it on my spouse.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Girlfriend has just got herself a P9. It is fucking slick.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im in the market for a new phone. Ive had an iphone since it came out and i want something different. Prefer to stay aay from samsung. If sony offer anything, i will probably go for them at this point. I dont need the latest phone, just something decent and different.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a one plus

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking into this one plus and the specs are good. It is out of stock. I imagine there is no monthly options for it.

https://oneplus.net/uk/oneplus-one

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Motorola G 4th Gen is out. Looks like a piece of shit.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one plus three just came out Sincere, get that one.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Just looking into this one plus and the specs are good. It is out of stock. I imagine there is no monthly options for it.

https://oneplus.net/uk/oneplus-one
    I think it's handset only which frees you up to negotiate a great sim only deal.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the principle behind the One Plus phones are that you buy the handset for about half the price of an iPhone/Samsung and then get a super cheap sim only deal. The only reason I didn't get a One Plus Two was because I knew the Three was due out and I couldn't afford to wait.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OnePlus 3 is great. I got the use of one for a week and ended up dumping my S7 Edge to get my own.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    Google are amazing.

I did to my new tablet what I did to my old. Fell on the bathroom tiles (I'm just going to place it in the corner on the floor from now on ffs) and it cracked.

I've just spoken to Paul from Google and they'll be sending me a new one and I have to return the damaged one.

Oh and I'll be buying a screen protector.

Oh and yes, I am a fucking idiot.
    The announcement that you'll soon be getting full Play Store access on Chromebooks has made the Pixel C so pointless. No wonder it was on sale

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36763932

Also I'm on the lookout for a new phone for the misses, I have £200 in Amazon vouchers to spend.

Then I'll get my hands on her S3 with new battery and get Marshmallow on it.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how they messed that up when the regular S7 is fine against water.

Loads of choice for 200 quid. Most will be better than an S3 too.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want something that will last at least 3 years though, like the S3 has.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I want something that will last at least 3 years though, like the S3 has.
    3GB RAM and an SD slot should cover that going forward. Probably 2GB, but just to be safe.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't particularly want a 5.5inch screen though.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody had the Google Nexus 5X? 32GB model is £230 but I can get the 16GB (which is ample) for £169 on Amazon today.

EDIT: Nah, reviews put me off, no way it'll last 3 years with a shite non-removable battery and no SD card.

The new Nexus's come out in August I think, might see what price they are at, especially the smaller one.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody had the Google Nexus 5X? 32GB model is £230 but I can get the 16GB (which is ample) for £169 on Amazon today.

EDIT: Nah, reviews put me off, no way it'll last 3 years with a shite non-removable battery and no SD card.

The new Nexus's come out in August I think, might see what price they are at, especially the smaller one.
    It'll be around £300-350 on launch. The 5X was a dog but fine with updates now. The unremovable battery would be a worry on any phone if you are looking for 3 years, though its not hard to change

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+5X+Teardown/51318

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bigger one or the smaller one?

Aye I can't be arsed tearing it down, ideally I'd be looking for a 3000+ battery and a 5-5.2 inch phone. 3GB RAM and hopefully 32GB storage.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p.s I'm glad you're back you perpetually miserable old cunt.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smaller. The bigger will be around £500.

You'd be tight on those specs at the money unless you go Chinese. LG G4 might drop nearer £200 soon (probably is already outside Amazon).

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p.s I'm glad you're back you perpetually miserable old cunt.
    It was a great time away

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.wileyfox.com/storm/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014UUQM52/

Only issue being battery, though cyanogen isn't too hard on it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Honor 7? Only thing is it hasn't dropped in price since it's launch, though that's probably a good thing.