User Tag List

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using it for a bit now and it's just as fast as my old Nexus 4 despite having 5.0.2. I dunno whether I should install that CM12 thing since it's working so well so far.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This new OnePlus X looks a fair bit of gear for $249. Hopefully the price will remain similar outside the US.

http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-x-hands

Operating System OxygenOS, based on Android 5.1.1
    Display 5-inch 1920x1080 AMOLED (441 ppi) Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core @ 2.3 GHz, Adreno 330 GPU
    Storage 16GB eMMC v5.0
    MicroSD expandable up to 128GB
    SIM Dual SIM slots or single SIM + MicroSD card
    RAM 3GB LPDDR3
    Rear Camera 13MP ISOCELL 3M2 CMOS, f/2.2 1080p resolution video; Slow Motion: 720p video at 120fps
    Front Camera 8MP OV8858, f/2.4
    Network (U.S.) GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, HSPA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B8, LTE: B1/B2/B4/B5/B7/B8
    Connectivity 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, FM radio, GPS, GLONASS, BDS
    Battery 2525 mAh LiPo
    Charging Micro USB, 5V/2A charger included
    Colors Onyx (glass) or Ceramic

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my S5. Have to say it's a lovely phone, phuck the haters. Though I'm led to believe Voda just released an update at the end of October that basically fixed every 5.0 issue. It's only taken them nearly a year. Phew. I reckon they'll just skip straight to 6.0.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S5's alright. All of Samsung's pre-installed bollocks is annoying. I'm starting to get tempted to root mine as I feel like it's been running a bit slowly lately and freezing up a lot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    The S5's alright. All of Samsung's pre-installed bollocks is annoying. I'm starting to get tempted to root mine as I feel like it's been running a bit slowly lately and freezing up a lot.
    I rooted my after 5 months of having my S4, best thing I could of done. I changed the kernel and put on a stock rom and it runs really well. Battery life is sweet, can last over a day.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you put on it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you put on it?
    I put on one from here, this is the S4 thread, but you will be able to find the S5 thread somewhere.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...black-t3054478

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Liquid Smooth on the S3. Its miles faster than my stock S5.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrection Remix is pretty good, used it on my S2 as well.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've an S5, just remember it has a good camera so pick one that still has software to make use of the hardware instead of ending up with the shitty stock Android camera interface and image processing.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just crap, also a massive malware risk: http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-security-bugs

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Not just crap, also a massive malware risk: http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-security-bugs
    Heh. You do hate Samsung though. I always thought it seemed a bit dodgy putting an operating system on it that you've had to hack the phone to put on and you've just downloaded off the internet.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the not rooted ROM there is a risk. Just like any other phone out there.

I have A/V running on mine that checks for Malware and all the other crap. I don't click on dodgy sites and install randoms apps not on the Google Play store, so I think i will be fine.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Priv is finally out. Bit pricey at around £550 but it sounds like they've done a great job on it. Keyboard wouldn't interest me personally, but could be an option for some.

http://www.androidcentral.com/blackberry-priv-review

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Raoul Duke, my Dad got his iPhone 6 today and I was giving him a hand setting it up with his old apps, etc. Are there any settings I need to watch in iOS9.1 regarding cloud and stuff I need to set for security and so he doesn't get shafted for data?

EDIT: Also, easiest way to get the photos from the 4 to the 6? Is it done through icloud?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought the OnePlus X for the missus. £200.

If it's as good as it's meant to be a second one could be on its way for me.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    @Raoul Duke, my Dad got his iPhone 6 today and I was giving him a hand setting it up with his old apps, etc. Are there any settings I need to watch in iOS9.1 regarding cloud and stuff I need to set for security and so he doesn't get shafted for data?
    I haven't gone up to 9.1 yet because I was waiting for jailbreak and now I'm just being lazy but definitely look at turning the Wi-Fi assist off. Read a fair bit about that fucking people over.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/28/wi-fi-assist-mobile-data/

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I haven't gone up to 9.1 yet because I was waiting for jailbreak and now I'm just being lazy but definitely look at turning the Wi-Fi assist off. Read a fair bit about that fucking people over.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/28/wi-fi-assist-mobile-data/
    Cheers. I'll have a look at that.

Also, I just edited a bit into my original post. How do you get photos from the old 4 to the 6? Icloud doesn't look very clear in what it actually does but I'm assuming I can just cloud sync every photo some way on the old phone and they'll appear on the gallery on the new one the way Google Photos works on Android? Do I just need to activate backup for this on both devices?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent messed with iCloud so on that Raoul should be able to tell you more but backing up the old phone and restoring it on the new one should get the photos/contacts and all that over.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Just bought the OnePlus X for the missus. £200.

If it's as good as it's meant to be a second one could be on its way for me.
    Absolute bargain considering the Nexus 5X is over £300.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I havent messed with iCloud so on that Raoul should be able to tell you more but backing up the old phone and restoring it on the new one should get the photos/contacts and all that over.
    I've started an icloud backup on the 4 to see what happens. There's still 4 hours left and I'm not sure it'll all fit in the 5GB allowance though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute bargain considering the Nexus 5X is over £300.
    Yeah I was interested last year but it didn't have 4g and a couple of other issues.

This years models are pretty much flawless apart from criticism that they're still using snapdragon (most handsets aren't even using snapdragon so that complaint seems a bit odd).

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Yeah I was interested last year but it didn't have 4g and a couple of other issues.

This years models are pretty much flawless apart from criticism that they're still using snapdragon (most handsets aren't even using snapdragon so that complaint seems a bit odd).
    The only really crappy Snapdragon is the first gen 810 that HTC used in the M9, everything else is spot on anyway.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've waited hours for the iPhone 4 to upload to icloud and not a thing showing on the 6. It really seems such a convoluted mess but it has to be easier than it seems.
    Every help topic I've googled has mentioned connecting to a PC, but surely in this day and age you don't need to do that to sync photos across devices.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Also, easiest way to get the photos from the 4 to the 6? Is it done through icloud?
    I think the simplest way would be to sync the iPhone 4 with a computer and then restore the iPhone 6 from that back-up. I'm pretty sure mine just synched across without any hassle. Just sign-in to the new device with his existing iCloud account and it should fetch them. After that it can just be updated via wi-fi.

The only thing that's worth keeping an eye on is Data Roaming, so it doesn't shaft him when he's overseas. Maybe that wi-fi assist thing as well, although I've never seen it work.

You should set-up Touch ID with the fingerprint sensor. It's ace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Data Roaming is getting capped if people haven't yet caught up with the news from April next year, and utterly abolished from 2017 in the EU (which is about fooking time).

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the simplest way would be to sync the iPhone 4 with a computer and then restore the iPhone 6 from that back-up. I'm pretty sure mine just synched across without any hassle. Just sign-in to the new device with his existing iCloud account and it should fetch them. After that it can just be updated via wi-fi.

The only thing that's worth keeping an eye on is Data Roaming, so it doesn't shaft him when he's overseas. Maybe that wi-fi assist thing as well, although I've never seen it work.

You should set-up Touch ID with the fingerprint sensor. It's ace.
    The fingerprint unlock got switched off after 5 minutes

I'll give it a go on the computer next time I'm visiting. All the stuff is still on the 4 anyway. Is it iTunes you need to sync or is there an icloud windows program?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use iTunes.

The fingerprint sensor is awesome, works flawlessly and is more secure than a password. Why would you turn it off?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use iTunes.

The fingerprint sensor is awesome, works flawlessly and is more secure than a password. Why would you turn it off?
    He never had a pin on it so when the first message came up on the lock screen and he couldn't swipe to reply without having to put his thumb on the home button he got rid. Left it on for app purchases though.
    Still might talk him into it though, doesn't realise that this will get robbed a whole lot quicker than a 4 would.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, speaking of locks, I was through the settings looking for smart unlock (probably called something different) and couldn't find anything. Are they possible if he did activate the scanner or pin?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's 'Smart unlock'?

With Touch ID you can just press the home button and it'll unlock straight away. It's really quick.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's 'Smart unlock'?

With Touch ID you can just press the home button and it'll unlock straight away. It's really quick.
    Like if you have it locked with pin or fingerprint you could set the phone to not be locked if it was connected to certain devices like a car or watch, or in a certain location, and then lock again once disconnected.
    It's shown below on my own phone, thought I'd read somewhere it had been introduced with iOS9, though I may have mistaken that and could be 6S only.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.phoneshopbysainsburys.co....nes/lg-g3.html

£190 for an unlocked G3? Oh hai!

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Get all over that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the iPhone 6S and the Z5 Premium from that bunch. Just depends on whether you want an Android or iOS phone now.

The S6 is decent but falls short of the Sony, and just steer clear of the G4.
    Seen you say this a couple of times, what's wrong with the G4? People elsewhere seem pretty positive about it.

Looking for a new phone in the 300 quid range, so I'm probably looking between that, the Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2 or the S6 for a little more.

I'll probably wait until 'Black Friday' to see if anything interesting comes up.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five time View Post
    Seen you say this a couple of times, what's wrong with the G4? People elsewhere seem pretty positive about it.

Looking for a new phone in the 300 quid range, so I'm probably looking between that, the Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2 or the S6 for a little more.

I'll probably wait until 'Black Friday' to see if anything interesting comes up.
    Would you get an S6 for that money? Beware of the battery on those too. Fast to charge but very poor capacity so base it on how much you'll be away from a charging point.

On the G4; the battery life is terrible due to the fact that they just don't optimise things in any way. It's good that you can change out the battery but you'll need to factory reset once a fortnight for it not to be horrendous. It's also awful plastic compared to some of the nice new top end phones out there (more disappointing when you see the quality that went into their V10). And LG's version of Android is just plain shit. No effort made there whatsoever.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S6 is 340 on Amazon which seems decent. And I'm moving from an old Moto G which ends up lasting about 4 hours now so I'm sure the battery life won't be too much of an issue anyway.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five time View Post
    The S6 is 340 on Amazon which seems decent. And I'm moving from an old Moto G which ends up lasting about 4 hours now so I'm sure the battery life won't be too much of an issue anyway.
    If you can cope with 4 hours then you'll be making a step up. Don't expect much more than 6 though.

Horrible battery aside, it's by far the nicest Android phone that there is hardware-wise. Software is improved too and it's great at that price.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turned out my iPhone 6 was out of action for months as there was lint in the receiver. I feel so dumb having used a shitty Windows phone all this time instead.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the plunge and bought a one plus x to replace my Samsung s4 mini. Fingers crossed it's decent.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I took the plunge and bought a one plus x to replace my Samsung s4 mini. Fingers crossed it's decent.
    Looks an absolute bargain and a very solid phone in its own right. Early reports have been very positive.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at that fucker as well. Thought the technical spec was a bit low-end but for that price who cares.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    I've been looking at that fucker as well. Thought the technical spec was a bit low-end but for that price who cares.
    On that software it'll run sweet enough. If you haven't bought yet though, take a quick look at the Wileyfox Storm too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll report back once it arrives from Shenzen.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end I ignored the advice of the thread and got the vodafone smart ultra 6. I think it is like the moto G before it went bollocks, i.e. cheap but good. I only use it for calls, texts, facebook, general browsing and spotify so spending anything more than about £150 was beyond pointless. Got a decent sim-only deal through the carphone warehouse's own ID network, 15 quid for pretty much unlimited calls and texts + 5gb data.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mrs who breaks everything she touches(I really should have known better) has just dropped her iPhone 6 for the millionth time. This being the time that the screen cracked. How much am I going to be out of pocket if I send this to be fixed?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    The Mrs who breaks everything she touches(I really should have known better) has just dropped her iPhone 6 for the millionth time. This being the time that the screen cracked. How much am I going to be out of pocket if I send this to be fixed?
    I don't know how much is charged for these things but they're not mad hard to change if you can get a screen at a good price. Between £50 and £60 on Amazon but might get cheaper elsewhere.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. I'm having a look into it now. If it's about £80 as it was the last time she broke her iPhone 4, then I'd probably pay out the extra to have it covered more.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new phone is here but no nano sim so I'm waiting out on that before I can give it a real whizz. First impressions are it's pretty slick and not too massive

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Cheers. I'm having a look into it now. If it's about £80 as it was the last time she broke her iPhone 4, then I'd probably pay out the extra to have it covered more.
    Yeah definitely worth it getting it replaced at that price. I remember when my Dad got his iPhone 6 and they asked him about insurance in the Vodafone shop they told him that it would be €250 to get the screen replaced by Apple if he didn't have the cover, though things like that tend to be extortionate here and I'd imagine it's much more reasonable your end.