Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phone Thread

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Get an iPhone if you want the best phone. Samsung are shite.
    You can't have used any of the S6 range then. An iPhone is only the best phone if you can stick iOS, though it's much improved over the last couple of iterations. A top end Sony still trumps the lot though, they just don't have/bother with the marketing any more.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say S6 or the Z5 like Giggles said.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You can't have used any of the S6 range then. An iPhone is only the best phone if you can stick iOS, though it's much improved over the last couple of iterations. A top end Sony still trumps the lot though, they just don't have/bother with the marketing any more.
    In terms of speed, OS features, developer priority, security patch availability and device security then iOS is clearly better. If that stuff's not important then sure, go pick up the latest gimmick-laden Samsung shitheap, sure.

The Sony phones are nice, as are the Google Nexus but they're still second-class devices.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    In terms of speed, OS features, developer priority, security patch availability and device security then iOS is clearly better. If that stuff's not important then sure, go pick up the latest gimmick-laden Samsung shitheap, sure.

The Sony phones are nice, as are the Google Nexus but they're still second-class devices.
    Putting an Xperia Z5, or Z3 for that matter, in the same bracket as a Nexus shows exactly the angle you're coming from. For all the improvements iOS has made its still an operating system made for the target market that Apple know they have, and the phones are as gimmick laden as you claim a Samsung to be. We really don't need any of these latest features on either, but they're nice. I still think you've played around with an S4 and decided you know exactly what the S6 is like based on that experience anyway.
    At the end of the day, the top end stuff from Apple, Sony, Samsung, and a couple of others are all great devices. People can just weigh up the pros and cons and decide what they need themselves. I certainly wouldn't rule out an iPhone myself when upgrade time comes, as they finally made one I think is worth considering when they made the 6, but if they want my money then they'll need to do more of substance with iOS 10.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prospect of 'going shopping' in Rugby is pretty funny. Maybe if you like charity shops and, er, no just charity shops.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Phone 2 has just come out, a highly secure phone - https://silentcircle.com/
    Silent Phone sets the standard for enterprise privacy by enabling private, encrypted communication. Available on iOS and Android.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TG09 View Post
    Black Phone 2 has just come out, a highly secure phone - https://silentcircle.com/
    Silent Phone sets the standard for enterprise privacy by enabling private, encrypted communication. Available on iOS and Android.
    That looks quite cool. Reminds me of the Turing Phone in regards to security.

http://turingphone.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ferguson View Post
    That looks quite cool. Reminds me of the Turing Phone in regards to security.

http://turingphone.com
    That looks a good phone too. I wonder if it has a plan with it or you can use any old SIM card.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an invite to purchase (around $600) and they offer a service program to pay X amount a month to be able to upgrade when the next generation of phones come out. I'd be interested to see who will stock them in the UK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Fuck's sake, thought it would be some cheap town centre stall rather than something run by Fred West Jr. Apple it is then.
    Listen, it was sound as a pound. I never once thought I was in any real danger.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    The prospect of 'going shopping' in Rugby is pretty funny. Maybe if you like charity shops and, er, no just charity shops.
    Mate, Leicester Road is one of the trendiest shopping gaffs in the country now. There's a Debenhams and everything. When the Nandos opens it'll be unreal.

Only about six parking spaces though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, hark at Duke pushing the iPhone as the logical choice and anything else as 'gimmick-laden' shite. It's like a parallel universe.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Samsung did something to Raoul's family given how much he seems to hate them.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I think Samsung did something to Raoul's family given how much he seems to hate them.
    They made plastic phones once. PLASTIC!

Though in fairness touchwiz used to be an abomination in relative terms, but you usually get this from Apple or Samsung fanboys as they're the two big evil empires so they can't tolerate the other in any way.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    Mate, Leicester Road is one of the trendiest shopping gaffs in the country now. There's a Debenhams and everything. When the Nandos opens it'll be unreal.

Only about six parking spaces though.
    The best thing to happen to Rugby lately was the burger king opening. The worst was that it isn't open late, so can't provide a much needed alternative to McDonalds for pissed up post-'boutique and the beach' fast food.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Only see this now. Try it out for size in a store. On paper it would seem too big compared to an S4 mini, but they do feel very comfortable in the hand. More than most phones do.
    Cheers. Funnily enough i went into a store today and tried it out. Not bad at all. I liked the curved screen as well.

Interestingly, the S5 has a better battery life than the S6...apparently due to the processor demand.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloaded the lollipop update when it came out on my Moto G. It's been proper fucking slow and wank ever since but I can't be arsed with the faff of rolling back to the previous version (kitkat?).

FUCK.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. Did you not read about my grief with the G and lollipop? Sacked it in the end.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marshmallow comes out soon.

New Nexus phones and Chromecast thingies coming soon. Looks nice.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised and rather pleased they've included the 2013 Nexus 7 in the M update list.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsung S5 apparently has a better battery life than the new S6. Assume it's due to the processor demanding more despite the battery upgrade.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Samsung S5 apparently has a better battery life than the new S6. Assume it's due to the processor demanding more despite the battery upgrade.
    The on-paper capacity of the S6 was the only thing that stopped me buying one, but it really does perform better than the numbers say. Easily enough to get you through a day.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you post that for the second time today, Quincy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not a moderator on here Mahow, mate.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God damn iPhone 6S. I'm crumbling and thinking of just straight up buying one.

Anyone bought one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also been considering a 6S but already having the 6 it just doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. The 3D Touch looks nice but that's about all I think I'd notice if I bought it. I think I'll pass this year.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the phone you want and you can afford it then get it. As Raoul says, it's your most used device so get the one you want.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The specs for the new Nexus 5X and 6P. Not a fan of the builds but the 6P supposedly has the second best camera behind the S6 (not my words).

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/heres-s...n-nexus-5x-6p/

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen that. Worth keeping an eye on to see. It's not great on paper, but the likes of Apple have shown that it's software as much as specs can make a good camera. If it's better than the G4 then happy days.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    Why did you post that for the second time today, Quincy?
    Lols. That's odd. Had no idea I had, sorry about that.

Anyway, Samsung S5 apparently has a better battery life than the S6.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nexus 6P has surprised me. Probably not enough to not buy a Z5, but still.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Announcements starting to come from the manufacturers regarding Marshmallow. Sony seem to be going fairly far back which is nice.

Xperia Z5
    Xperia Z5 Compact
    Xperia Z5 Premium
    Xperia Z4 Tablet
    Xperia Z3+
    Xperia Z3
    Xperia Z3 Compact
    Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
    Xperia Z2
    Xperia Z2 Tablet
    Xperia M5
    Xperia C5 Ultra
    Xperia M4 Aqua
    Xperia C4

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PMSL. Yeah, when? Over the next 5 years and slowly but surely the older ones will disappear from that list. Android can get fucked imo. Even if they do get updated they'll only bother about fixing the fucking bugs on the newer models, leaving the older ones abandoned with dodgy OS. Cunts.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    PMSL. Yeah, when? Over the next 5 years and slowly but surely the older ones will disappear from that list. Android can get fucked imo. Even if they do get updated they'll only bother about fixing the fucking bugs on the newer models, leaving the older ones abandoned with dodgy OS. Cunts.
    The likes of Sony, OnePlus, and Motorola won't matter as they both basically use a standard version of Android with a few extras on top so it'll be easily done. LG will just release the same thing as before within weeks and call it Marshmallow like they did with Lollipop when they've actually made no difference. Samsung will just fuck everyone about and wait until they have the Galaxy S7 in the shops before dropping the S5 from the list altogether. And HTC will do the best job of all and build it into Sense beautifully, but nobody will give a fuck because it's HTC.

The OEM updates are definitely more of a focus as time has went on though. Much more so than when the likes of Jellybean or KitKat arrived.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So? The Moto G's turned to fucking shit with 5.1 yet nobody clamoured to assist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Nexus 4, which I bought quite used from a friend a few months ago is fucked, I never dropped it from a big height but it fell once and part of the screen stopped working even though there are no cracks. The past month I haven't been able to switch apps (the square button isn't working xD) and I can't type the letters i, o, j, k without rotating the screen. A bit annoying.

I've been scouting some Danish used website for some deals and I'm getting a 1-year old Moto G for £40, not a bad deal for here. Does anyone have any experience with that phone, is it good?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT upgrade to the latest android on it. The phone is brilliant but that update absolutely rapes it.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chore.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 minutes of your life.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed RL.

That should only be something to consider when the phone is a few years old and you want to eek it out a bit more.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or if it's a pain in the hole because the software is ruining it.

Cyanogenmod isn't a performance improvement. It's a more regularly updated and fixed version of AOSP, that also happens to allow more customisation. It's to be treated with caution if your phone has specific special hardware in it as it will not account for that, but for something fairly standard then it will fix any issues.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should that be an issue for a newish phone though? It shouldn't therefore Android and the arsehole manufacturers can go fuck itself.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should that be an issue for a newish phone though? It shouldn't therefore Android and the arsehole manufacturers can go fuck itself.
    The only answer to that (shor of lobbying Google and Motorola) is buying a more expensive phone. Or buying an Apple phone where your only option is expensive. Or buying a Windo.... actually no lol.

I agree it's not really on though. Motorola falling into Lenovo hands doesn't really help with support either.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it. People are now starting to realise you can't buy a bag of shite and expect it to...well work. Phone makers are too, look at the new G and it's laughable price tag. Fuck 'em.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it. People are now starting to realise you can't buy a bag of shite and expect it to...well work. Phone makers are too, look at the new G and it's laughable price tag. Fuck 'em.
    The only thing is that you're talking about a budget phone three (2 at the time) generations old. Really it should never have got Lollipop in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seller of the phone said it's on 5.0.2 and I've asked him to make sure not to upgrade before shipping it. Thanks for the tip guys.

I'm so glad I found such a cheap solution, the other used phones of the same generation were all £70+ here ... the one I got has the owner's name engraved at the back but he put a cover in the deal for free which is quite generous.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vim 5 is the revision that caused all the issues on the Moto G lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol okay, that's not good then. There's a way to go back to 4 right?

I thought the latest version was the problem ie 5.1.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could root it and put Kit Kat back on 4.4.4 yeah. There's loads of guides because so many did it.