User Tag List

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tennis Thread

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely true. Whether anything is done about it is another thing altogether, but I do know that the police have been involved in the UK.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fucked up on drugs. It's all gone.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    What's left? Rugby?
    Rugby, with its old school tie networks as embedded as in any sport, will be up to it's neck in this sort of thing. Perhaps not betting (I'm not sure if there's a huge market) but there's definitely corruption. Look at 'bloodgate'.

Football being dodgy is a given. Certainly in relation to drugs. Not sure about match fixinf at the top level because players at least are rich enough already. Mind you, I guess it only takes an addiction or bad investments to wipe that out so no doubt there will be some involved.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit, 10 mins too late.

Link anyway: http://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/t...et#.rvdwb9m60P

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder Andy Murray managed to win two Grand Slams

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't tennis supposed to be rife with doping as well? They genuinely don't give a shit about testing or anything. Nadal is/was balls deep in it.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it won't 'rock the game' because nobody cares. Same with athletics, cycling etc.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, in a long list of things people actually give a shit about, match fixing is pretty low down it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Isn't tennis supposed to be rife with doping as well? They genuinely don't give a shit about testing or anything. Nadal is/was balls deep in it.
    And the Spanish national football team were linked also, were they not?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    And the Spanish national football team were linked also, were they not?
    Certainly Spanish footballers around mid 2000s were. Real Sociedad are the only team who have been named.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll matter if it transpires Federer's entire career has been orchestrated by some syndicate in China, or whatever. Probably just some spot-fixing but there's been bans for match fixing before. Just they tend to get handed out to guys lower on the card. As for doping, there's been a couple of medium-profile ones but nothing proper for a decade.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't it common knowledge that Davydenko would throw the odd match?

I'm more interested in whether it's happened in Grand Slams than anything else. Nobody's going to care if Jose Acasuso dropped a couple of sets in an ATP 7000 Series Canada Open Event for Tennis Eventing, but if there were fixes going on in the slams, then people will sit up and take notice.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, nothing promotes match-fixing, spot-fixing, etc. more than the proliferation of pointless tournaments that the players have little emotional investment in, but which have plenty of money riding on the outcomes. Cricket figured this out when they realised that basically every franchise T20 league - in which the players have very little attachment to the side, and no particular concern about the tournament - was rife with it.

Tennis has so many tournaments that you find it hard to imagine that the players care about every tinpot cup they're playing in. There's huge gambling stakes on it as well, so it's kind of a perfect storm. It'd be interesting to think about what other sports generate the same accumulation of risk factors; how much do people bet on golf?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In golf the dynamic is different because it's so hard to actually win in the first place. If you win a tour event you not only get the prize money, but also exempt status on that tour for a certain period of time and entry into better tournaments - i.e. career security, which is a lot more than you have to gain from accepting money to not win something you're not going to win anyway. I've never heard of any suspicion of fixing in golf and highly doubt it would happen.

I suppose you could pay people to miss the cut, but miss the cut markets are pointless.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I suppose you could pay people to miss the cut, but miss the cut markets are pointless.
    So are spot-markets in cricket. I immediately assume spot-fixing on any market based around individual balls.

"I just have a really strong feeling about the fourth ball of the seventh over!"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Wasn't it common knowledge that Davydenko would throw the odd match?

I'm more interested in whether it's happened in Grand Slams than anything else. Nobody's going to care if Jose Acasuso dropped a couple of sets in an ATP 7000 Series Canada Open Event for Tennis Eventing, but if there were fixes going on in the slams, then people will sit up and take notice.
    There have been suspicions about Grand Slam matches. The article Magic posted is very interesting.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are spot-markets in cricket. I immediately assume spot-fixing on any market based around individual balls.

"I just have a really strong feeling about the fourth ball of the seventh over!"
    They're there to placate the addicts, mostly. It can't even be very lucrative, doesn't take much money to get markets suspended.

I spend a lot of hours on betfair so the extent of matchfixing is quite apparent to me. Its incredibly obvious who is up to it, and it would be very easy if they actually wanted to crack down on it. Should really happen this decade.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Albanian team you were posting about in the Europa League was cracking. Ideally you just ban that club from ever participating in any tournament again, and all its players and officials also get life bans. Make the punishment harsher than the benefit of doing it.

I'm 99% convinced that Cameroon, or some of their players fixed the game against Croatia in the last World Cup. This is one of the perils of group stages.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    del Potro, I bet.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Djokovic just refuses to do it, doesn't he? Because he doesn't trust it. Which is obviously a totally legit reason to not do it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's probably gluten in the testing apparatus.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djokovic's defence of Troicki was disgraceful. He basically blamed everyone else and absolved Troicki of all responsibility.

If you refuse to take a test after a match because you are "scared of needles", expect to face stiff punishment.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it transpires that Murray is the only clean Top 4/6/8 player

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered about Djokovic, for two reasons:

1. Superhuman endurance
    2. From a dodgy country

Neither of these constitute evidence, but it's all about the trend lines innit. When Tim Henman is retrospectively awarded 8 Slams we'll know the sport is clean.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely the 'they're all rich anyway' defence being applied to football upthread could equally be applied to tennis players of the level this report apparently implicates. Even those marginally inside the top fifty who have never even sniffed the real top of the game will have made a few million in prize money.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djokovic's 'gluten free' diet turning him into superman (Reg, or others can correct me if i'm wrong, but from what I've seen he has the highest level of endurance on the tour by a mile) is one of the dodgiest, yet in plain sight, things going in sport.

Jimmy Savile's "I hate kids" defence was probably more convincing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djokovic doesn't "refuse" to be tested. What do you think they're going to do? Just say "all right then, we won't bother you again"?

Yev, I think that's a rather cynical view. Someone who was eating gluten when they shouldn't have been, and then eats correctly, is going to reap the rewards. Of course it won't be enough to make him the best athlete on tour, that'll be down to the work he puts in. He's known as being very dedicated and taking care of small details.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it's worse than Nadal's months long 'injury' breaks to flush everything out of his system, but yeah.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post

Yev, I think that's a rather cynical view. Someone who was eating gluten when they shouldn't have been, and then eats correctly, is going to reap the rewards. Of course it won't be enough to make him the best athlete on tour, that'll be down to the work he puts in. He's known as being very dedicated and taking care of small details.
    Cynical it might be, but my brother has Coeliac disease and it strikes me as absolute bollocks. Is Djokovic even claiming he's a coeliac?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if he uses that term (I've read his book but can't remember). This article says strongly intolerant to wheat and dairy products. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...c-8775333.html

Why so regarding your brother? Food is fuel for our bodies so it seems quite natural to me that it can have extreme effects.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I mean I believe that my brother had it and I saw that the effects of it were bad (prior to him being diagnosed) I just fail to see how addressing it (particularly if you're not an actual coeliac), while making you better, makes you all but superhuman.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't this be his natural potential? We see people in other sports with with seemingly freakish abilities/attributes, why not tennis too?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean it's not like he was a terrible tennis player before. He was what, no3 in the world before the diet change? He also made other changes including his service action. He's never claimed it is a magic cure. But like you say, the effects of it can be bad, and when your body is crucial to your performance then drastically changing what you eat is going to have big results.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's probably some value in the idea that if he was training extra hard to be at the same level as everyone else because he was eating shit he shouldn't have been, and then kept training at that level once he'd sorted his diet out that he would be monstrously fit. I have no idea if that's actually what he's claiming, or if he's just claiming that cutting gluten out has been like putting the kryptonite into a lead box.

I long ago reached the point in the development of my cynicism where I just assume all sport is on some level corrupt. It makes the whole thing easier to enjoy and you're not at all surprised when the inevitable news story about match fixing and competitors' piss burning the bottom out of test tubes arrives.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil Robertson is on a 'plant based diet', which I'm sure is what enables him to miss the colours each time on those tricky trips back to baulk.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter Siddle exists entirely on bananas.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Serena v Giorgi and it was a decent match. About the toughest draw Serena could have got and Giorgi put up a good fight, 6-4, 7-5. She got an impressive amount of aces but was as usual plagued by way too many double faults. It was the usual Giorgi in most other senses too: lots of power, very attacking, some great returns.

But the doubles are such a blindingly obvious weakness that questions have to be asked of her coach. She must be the most talented player on the tour (men's or women's) to lose so many points that way.

In other news Watson and Edmund both fell at the first hurdle; Djokovic, Federer and Nishikori all won comfortably.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sportdw.com/2016/01/suspi...iu-failed.html

Pretty good read regarding match-fixing stuff.

This shows that in the two days before the match, the price on Hyung Taik Lee to win 3-0 was backed all the way from 1.88 (53.2%) into an extraordinary 1.08 (92.6%). What makes this price especially bizarre is that it is actually shorter than the price on Lee to win the match itself.

To repeat that, the market was suggesting that Lee was more likely to win the match 3-0 than he was to win the match itself. As it were described elsewhere, this is analogous to a football team being more likely to win a match 2-0 than it is to win the match. In every possible way, this makes no sense whatsoever.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Hewitt v Ferrer, good match. Fantastic fight from Hewitt but ultimately Ferrer played the same game except better.

Some potentially cracking matches tonight in Federer v Dimitrov and Kyrgios v Berdych (who has ditched H&M after they made him look like someone who picked clothes out of charity shops' rejection bins).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give this a bump as others might like to watch or record the Federer V Djokovic semi final. It's the evening session so 8am UK time.

It's been a good tournament for Britain with Andy Murray, Jamie Murray and Konta through to semi finals.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Nishikori, Raonic and Monfils. I'd like to see one of them win something one day.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see Konta do so well. The ladies have a decent depth in talent it seems.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monfils hit a freakish shot against Raonic last night:

https://twitter.com/WeAreTennis/stat...47943957991424

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Nishikori, Raonic and Monfils. I'd like to see one of them win something one day.
    I think a Slam will always be too far for Monfils and he's already 29. But I think the other two could. If Raonic plays like he did v Wawrinka then he could well beat Murray (who's shown in the past he can struggle against netplay).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Raonic seems to have the game most likely to wind up with a slam, although I don't think it's beyond Nishikori, either. He'd need some things to fall his way though, because he was a class below Djokovic in their match.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not sure this can be classed as a bumming. I've never seen a top player so systematically taken apart here before, can we be sure Djokovic isn't doping?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the lack of gluten mate.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, how silly of me to forget.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djok is incredible. Those first two sets and the final against Nadal recently are as good as I've seen anyone play. I'm kinda looking forward to the day Federer stops reaching semis and finals, whether that's when he retires or not, because then maybe the crowds will be behind Djokovic. He deserves it.

Asia likes him a lot better. Asia knows what's up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really understand the format of the Aussie Open. Isn't it fundamentally unfair that one of the finalists gets double the amount of rest before the final? Do they do this at the US as well?