User Tag List

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1555

Thread: The Tennis Thread

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone on facebook posted how "Hey everyone in case you haven't noticed Wimbledon is on and hurr durr an American is involved and i can hear freedom with every service "

So I hope Isner has failed miserably.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isner’s a far, far better player than Kevin Anderson, though I agree this Djok/Nadal match might as well be the final

EDIT: By better i mean on the eye
    Last edited by mugbull; 13-07-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the thing about men's tennis is that it's just as unhealthy at the moment as women's tennis. It's just disguised by the fact that the three good players that people pay to see can stomp all over the draw, even five years past when they should really be able to do so. The fact that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are able to largely dominate the circuit really is an indictment on where the sport is at, even if it's popular. Hopefully the young players coming through at the moment will wind up being able to do something about it eventually.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, what a waste of time big servers are. Congratulations, you can't get broken. You can't do anything when you're not serving though, can you?

My solution: take away second serves in tie-breakers, or any post 6-6 game. See how they fare when they don't get a second bite at the cherry.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stop 'Rafa' grunting like twat first.

Ah joy, another interminable 70 shot baseline rally.

It's a slippery slope when you start thinking of ways to improve tennis. Might as well make the whole thing tiebreakers and get it over with asap (or can the whole thing). Hasn't the tiebreaker thing been suggested, actually?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Also, what a waste of time big servers are. Congratulations, you can't get broken. You can't do anything when you're not serving though, can you?

My solution: take away second serves in tie-breakers, or any post 6-6 game. See how they fare when they don't get a second bite at the cherry.
    I would just get rid of the 2nd serve altogether

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I'd stop 'Rafa' grunting like twat first.

Ah joy, another interminable 70 shot baseline rally.

It's a slippery slope when you start thinking of ways to improve tennis. Might as well make the whole thing tiebreakers and get it over with asap (or can the whole thing). Hasn't the tiebreaker thing been suggested, actually?
    I feel like finding a way to deal with players who rely on big serves and nothing else is the equivalent of implementing the offside rule. There's a problem there that risks strangling the game if allowed to continue unabated. You're not just "improving it for the kiddies".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a problem there that risks strangling the game if allowed to continue unabated.
    The ace-machine mongs ever actually win anything though, do they? The players with more to their game are always the ones at the very top (Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, etc). I know they all have good serves themselves, but they aren't John Isner.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The ace-machine mongs ever actually win anything though, do they? The players with more to their game are always the ones at the very top (Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, etc). I know they all have good serves themselves, but they aren't John Isner.
    Nah, the really good players can beat them. They (Isner, Cilic, Anderson) are pretty good at strangling anyone at a lower level than that though. Roddick would have won a lot more if he wasn't a contemporary of Federer.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, until they start being actually dominant at the top I don't think it's an issue which requires a 'fix'. I'd see it as comparable to pace merchant footballers who do really well up to a certain level where they get found out by more technically skilled and rounded players.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drama and tennis of Nadal-Djokovic just now. That was fantastic.

So the thing about men's tennis is that it's just as unhealthy at the moment as women's tennis. It's just disguised by the fact that the three good players that people pay to see can stomp all over the draw, even five years past when they should really be able to do so. The fact that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are able to largely dominate the circuit really is an indictment on where the sport is at, even if it's popular. Hopefully the young players coming through at the moment will wind up being able to do something about it eventually.
    Disagree strongly, there was nothing wrong with Nadal and Federer dominating last year because they were playing incredibly. Federer at the Aus Open and Miami last year was some of the best tennis I've ever seen. McEnroe reckoned Nadal played the French last year better than he ever had before.

Zverev and Thiem and probably others will be great players. They won't be as dominant as the big three but that's okay.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the women's final with my mum. Turns out she absolutely despises Serena Williams which was quite entertaining.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Eh, until they start being actually dominant at the top I don't think it's an issue which requires a 'fix'. I'd see it as comparable to pace merchant footballers who do really well up to a certain level where they get found out by more technically skilled and rounded players.
    A month ago i checked and there were 7-8 servebots in the top 20, depending on whether you’d count Del Potro (probably not, he has a lot to his game). I don’t think it matters if they’re winning slams or not, it’s pretty absurd.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside of the ludicrously long final set matches (and there's a quick fix for that anyway) I don't see a problem with big servers, it's a part of the game they just happen to be very good at, but it's just as legitimate as any other.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think it makes the game less interesting, it doesn't matter if you have good technique, speed, stamina, mental game, if you have a Karlovic/Isner/Anderson serve you're guaranteed to win about 45% of games, and very often the full 50%.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Karlovic can't move so it balances out.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    I just think it makes the game less interesting, it doesn't matter if you have good technique, speed, stamina, mental game, if you have a Karlovic/Isner/Anderson serve you're guaranteed to win about 45% of games, and very often the full 50%.
    But that's subjective, and while many might agree, there are other areas that border on tedium. As Niko mentioned, some of the 50 shot rallies between baseliners aren't much fun either.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it’s subjective, everything is subjective. The baseline rallies require a lot more skill and athleticism than servebotting, at least

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Outside of the ludicrously long final set matches (and there's a quick fix for that anyway) I don't see a problem with big servers, it's a part of the game they just happen to be very good at, but it's just as legitimate as any other.
    Sit down and watch every game of a five-set match between two of them. Once you've cleaned up the blood from your eyes bleeding, see if you still hold that opinion.

If a tactic is damaging enough, you have to find a way to fix it. That's why we have the offside rule. I'm not saying that big servers who are just barely competent at any other aspect of the game are currently a blight on the sport. But they do make their matches unwatchable.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sit down and watch every game of a five-set match between two of them. Once you've cleaned up the blood from your eyes bleeding, see if you still hold that opinion.

If a tactic is damaging enough, you have to find a way to fix it. That's why we have the offside rule. I'm not saying that big servers who are just barely competent at any other aspect of the game are currently a blight on the sport. But they do make their matches unwatchable.
    I've seen loads of their matches and I still hold that opinion. Sometimes they're great, but sometimes they're a bit of a slugfest.

And comparing the impact of big serves to the impact of not having the offside rule is laughable. If the latter didn't exist football would be totally broken - are you saying tennis is?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a sneaking suspicion that it is, and it's only the outrageous brilliance of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic that has stopped us noticing before now. But we'll see when they're gone.

But yes, I do think that being good at one single skill within tennis really shouldn't be enough to win a match. If it is, then the game is - to some degree - broken. If you have a fantastic drop shot, you can't ride that to a Grand Slam final.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6-2, 6-2 in the first two sets.

They should have just given Djokovic the title after the semi finals.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a sneaking suspicion that it is, and it's only the outrageous brilliance of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic that has stopped us noticing before now. But we'll see when they're gone.
    I can't recall exactly when it was or exactly how they did it, but in the mid-90's ish this debate was raging and they did something to the pressure of the balls and or stringing of the rackets to reduce the effectiveness of the big serve. So they'll probably do so again if it ever gets too bad.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    6-2, 6-2 in the first two sets.

They should have just given Djokovic the title after the semi finals.
    At least Anderson made a fight of it in the third set. I love to see Djokovic back. Already looking forward to the US Open - hopefully he, Nadal and Federer will all be at their best.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watching US Open?

Awesome match right now between Nadal and Khachanov.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nadal match was fantastic. He's nailed on to win the thing now.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shot around the post from Federer.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't watch but apparently Serena Williams has just had an almighty meltdown in losing the final. Was 2-6, 3-1 down and got some kind of signal from her coach. Umpire has given it as a code violation, so she's gone mental and a few points later smashed her racket. Umpire gives away a point this time.

She's then gone even more off the rails and called him a thief and launched abuse at him after every point. Umpire then gives her opponent a full game. She's cried and called for the referee and cited sexism. Lost that 3-1 lead in the 2nd and ended up losing the match.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sexism? Was the other player a man?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She claimed that men are allowed to get away with what she got called for, all the time.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the person here who knows least about tennis, I feel that I am best placed to write a gender/race article about this.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on. The other one is Asian. This just got difficult.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Write it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Williams was given a first code violation after Ramos judged a gesture from coach Patrick Mouratoglou to be coaching - which is allowed on the WTA Tour but not during Grand Slams.

Williams insisted she had not received any tactics from Mouratoglou, telling the umpire she would "never cheat to win and would rather lose".

The Frenchman later admitted to ESPN that he had been coaching from the box.

"I was coaching but I don't think she looked at me," Mouratoglou said.

"You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live. When are you going to give me my apology? Say you are sorry," she told him.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Asians don't count as minorities.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's a fucking mentalist

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's always had this bubbling under the surface as well. I recall she had a fine for similar in a match against Clijsters.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already seen a thinkpiece saying the umpire can't deal with being spoken to sharply by a woman.

If you dissent the official in sport you literally never have the moral high ground.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her dad coached her like that through most of her early slams. Also, way to ruin your opponent's first major title.
    Last edited by Shindig; 09-09-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Asians don't count as minorities.
    I've sourced (made up) an anecdote about Tim Henman ordering an omelette from a Chinese, so they do in tennis.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ. How can anyone watch that and defend her? I've seen a fair few tennis players have already backed her and screamed sexism.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I felt most of the boos came up as soon as she played the gender card.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's a pro at turning on the waterworks anyway.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Jesus Christ. How can anyone watch that and defend her? I've seen a fair few tennis players have already backed her and screamed sexism.
    In America, for some reason, they need dominant sporting heroes who do no wrong. It's very difficult for them to deal with it when those stars turn out to be humans with faults (ref: Woods, T)

Also the current political climate means that a prominent black person can do more or less anything and get on the right side of the opinion columns.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    In America, for some reason, they need dominant sporting heroes who do no wrong. It's very difficult for them to deal with it when those stars turn out to be humans with faults (ref: Woods, T)

Also the current political climate means that a prominent black person can do more or less anything and get on the right side of the opinion columns.
    She's not playing the black card at all, she's whipped out the woman card for this one.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now she has the daughter card.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    She's not playing the black card at all, she's whipped out the woman card for this one.
    Doesn't matter what card she's actually playing, it just matters who she is.

I only just found out she's a Jehovah's Witness, blimey.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All celebrities are part of a mental cult these days.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was appalling, and Serena has form. Her meltdowns in matches against Clijsters (2009) and Stosur (2011) were equally spectacular.

This isn't to say that there wasn't any reason for her to be aggrieved - it's almost never called, and most coaches are doing it constantly. It is an issue that probably should be addressed more broadly, to be honest. But there's absolutely no excuse for threats, or any of the other petulance. It's something that should be addressed after the match, not during. But let's be honest, the real anger was that she knew the ship was sinking and she couldn't save it. Osaka was all over her from point one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Half Japanese, half Haitian. That's a thinkpiece in itself.