User Tag List

Page 222 of 257 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,100 of 12825

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka have gone a bit Bazball against NZ, stacking up over 300 in 75 overs. Neil Wagner got pumped again. They need to finally fuck him off, the 80mph bouncers aren't getting anyone out these days.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe 'Albo' agreed to participate in that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Sri Lanka have gone a bit Bazball against NZ, stacking up over 300 in 75 overs. Neil Wagner got pumped again. They need to finally fuck him off, the 80mph bouncers aren't getting anyone out these days.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The predictability with which Indian pitch preparation tracks from absolute minefield to paved road depending on the state of the series is equal parts hilarious and dull.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible scenes in the New Zealand vs. Sri Lanka game. Scrambling a bye off the last ball of the Test to win.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made that look way harder than it needed to be, but glad we got there in the end.
    How difficult is it for the keeper to hit at the strikers end?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major League Cricket coming to America in the summer. Who the fuck is bankrolling this? They're spending fortunes on stadiums and players.

Allen Stanford lives on.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever need to ask who's bankrolling something in cricket, the answer is Indian sports gambling.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have atleast had a team down here ffs.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found myself following the Women's Premier League a lot more than I expected. Ecclestone again proving why she's the best in the world, and good to see Capsey and Wong starring on occasions. Got the qualifier and final to come to finish this week.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capsey is an incredible talent. Remember watching her absolutely dominate some girls' club game at age 14.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's crazy to think she's still 18. She was great yesterday - clean striking and some clever shots too.

It's a shame Lauren Bell didn't get a chance though, but understandable considering the overseas players she was contending with for a spot.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/e...myself-1365194

The words of a man who has no reason to fear for his place no matter how shit he is.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the longer they stick with him, the harder it is for their egos to just admit he's shit. sunk cost fallacy baby

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/e...myself-1365194

The words of a man who has no reason to fear for his place no matter how shit he is.

A journalist stating a fact is...taking a cheap shot? I hate this nonsense.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Gavin is a former player, but I think the tendency in posho sports to consider criticising players uncouth is almost more annoying than the hit pieces common in the toxic ends of English footy journalism.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A cheap shot."

Put your pearls away, Gavin, you'll grind them to dust if you're going to clutch them that hard.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen Johnson Charles has hit a 39-ball 100 in the T20I game with South Africa today. Brought up his century in the 13th over.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket/rugby types absolutely love rallying round fellow pros. Think it's a reflex aimed at justifying what they do for a living.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allegations against Vaughan 'not proven'.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the fact that R Ashwin 0(4) opening the batting has essentially nuked this for Rajasthan. I have no idea of the ins and outs of how the IPL works, so I presume there is some sort of logic there, but it seemed an odd choice to me as an occasional observer.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin opening the batting is mad, he's a classical type player. I could understand it if it was some hacker who's going to clear the boundary during the powerplay.

All sorts of mad theories going around, especially with this awful new substitute rule. Another sport trying to be baseball.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading a bit about Dhoni the other day and that he still gets a gig just coming out to Gayle it essentially. No running, just trying to melt it over the boundary and it he gets out for 6 after 3 balls so be it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll try to spin his career out for as long as they possibly can, not sure the new generation of players have as many slavish devotees as he does.

County cricket starts today. Summer

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it's pissing down. Standard fare.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half the games off for rain or even completely abandoned for the day already.

Taunton groundsman said 27 days of rain in the last 30. Horrendous stuff. Our league starts next week and I'm doubtful a lot of clubs will be able to get pitches prepared.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you lot up north start your leagues so early? I've always found it weird, given you have worse weather. We go on 6 May for 18 weeks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    22 week season, with bank holidays reserved for the 40 over cup.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if any of you were watching the IPL right now, but what an incredible ending that was.

Rashid Khan takes a hat trick for Gujurat, KKR needed 39 off the last 8 balls, and Rinku Singh hit 5 sixes in a row to win it off the last ball. Mental.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia have announced their squad for the WTC Final and first two Ashes Tests. Is that normal, to announce a squad for half a series?

Also, they've only selected four quicks so RIP those guys.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably anyone half near the squad will be decamping over here during that time anyway. Pucovski is playing club cricket down the road from me and he's not anywhere near it, surely hanging around in case Travis Head falls down some stairs.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he the lad that is permanently concussed?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Presumably the Surrey Championship's finest are at no risk of pinning him in the head with their 65mph dobbing exocets.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know. The only time I've ever been chinned was by an off-spinner, despite having experienced the likes of Plunkett and Tye fizz it past my dish.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bary Gallance has packed it in.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've finally decided to get back into actually playing the game, and contacted a local team. Nets on Wednesday, and it'll be my first time playing since early university days.

For all you chaps who play regularly; any recommendations for shoes or spikes to wear?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you're not a heavy duty fast bowler, pretty much any spikes on the market should do the job, as per this sort of selection: https://www.prodirectsport.com/crick...xoCVAwQAvD_BwE, and I'm sure they'll be available cheaper if you look around. This assumes you're playing on grass, as most organised cricket in this country is - if you're on astro (as some more informal midweek leagues are, at least in London) then metal spikes are no good.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they play on turf so that shouldn't be an issue.

I used to bowl relatively quick stuff but that was back as a teenager. I imagine I'm more military medium nowadays but I have no idea how good I am until I'm back playing again.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and enjoy. I had my first pre-season game yesterday (had about 3 rained off before that) which is badly needed as I've been promoted to stand in the Surrey second tier this season. Absolutely rusty as fuck, couldn't remember where to walk, useless at counting the score (which I hate doing but loads of umpires are all over it), a guy got hit in the foot in front of all three and I somehow convinced myself he'd got bat on it. Need a serious tune-up in the next game. The off season is so long, it's basically like being a player again at this time of year.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did the bowler say when you turned that lbw shout down?

Are you still affiliated with a club when umpiring or is it a standalone pastime now?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In season I go wherever the league send me, but practice games are with my home club. I know the bowler well so he just called me a cunt and bought me a beer afterwards (in that order).

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First net session went well but I'm feeling it today - chest and right arm are aching so it might take a while to get back into the swing of things.

I fully expected to just slot in with their newly formed third team, but apparently I'm good enough for the seconds, which is promising. They've got the season opener on Saturday and what with it still being April, I might even get a game. Pretty chuffed, just need to work on the length a bit and improve my consistency.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man.

We should finally get our first game of the season this week, third time of asking. Cricket in April should be banned. I'm club captain this year and I'm implementing Bazball. We are on paper the best in the division so aiming for promotion and our batting is ridiculous (number 9 has a 1st XI ton) so I'm going defensive in the field and aim to knock off anything put in front of us. Excited for the upcoming relegation fight then.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely stuff. I used to get horrendous first session aches from bowling in the first couple of weeks, think there must be muscles you don't stretch at any other time. Shoulders and triceps, things like that.

They will love you at this stage as there is nothing better than a new guy turning up to nets who isn't complete shit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ireland posting a big score should have been a bit of a red flag, but lol at that Sri Lanka reply. 0/203 off 34 overs must be up there with the worst bowling figures going.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bowling card is a real masterclass. Two blokes (one seamer one spinner) capable of keeping it under 5 an over, a 20 year old debutant spinner who was wisely protected and only bowled 10 overs, so the short straw goes to poor old Ben White.

A tall legspinner who bowls quickly and fires the ball in flat, White was viewed as a potential long-term option to fill Ireland's wristspin void.
    I guess 704/3 is pretty long term.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First game for the seconds was this weekend and boy, did we get a pasting.

We had something like 25 players unavailable across our three teams, which sort of explains why I was so hastily recruited to get involved and join the team. Our ragtag bunch included a 12 year old, two 13 year olds (one of which was keeping) and a 14 year old, so we never really expected to get anything against a fairly strong opponent.

We were put in to bat and struggled along at under 2 an over. My contribution was an electric 3 off 7, which included getting bowled second ball on a free hit and a full length dive when one of the sprightly teenagers called me through for a sharp single. We at least took a wicket in the field but my solitary over was awful - 3 balls drifting down leg which went for a total of 9 wides (in fairness I think a more experienced keeper stops at least 2 of those deliveries comfortably) and a half-volley which got thrashed to the cover boundary to win the game. I did at least get one to beat the edge outside off but 1 over for 16 was not a great first impression.

Cracking day though - few pints back at the home ground afterwards in the glorious sun whilst watching the firsts unfortunately lose a thriller off the last ball. Back to nets this evening; I'm loving it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing like a packed ground for one of those thrillers on a golden evening.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)