User Tag List

Page 220 of 257 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 11,000 of 12825

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching Stokes trying to run himself out made me think he would be joining a pretty small club should he be successful in doing so. My quick search led me to John Trim of the West Indies who, in 1951, managed to get run out in both innings for arguably the worst pair of all time. Useless cricket stats are the best.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root got 142* (178) in that mad chase of 378 against India, so I reckon it suits him just fine.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh the fact that we’ve won a series in Pakistan 3-0 without Joe Root making any runs is another huge tick.

I’ve decided they are going to get Bairstow back in the side by having him open in the Ashes. Strap in.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best part of Bazball is that the rest of the world are still trying to convince themselves that it doesn't / won't work. They aren't psychologically conditioned for it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair part of me is still waiting for it to go horribly wrong because that's what watching England has conditioned me for.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's already gone 'horribly wrong' in the first game of the South Africa series.

It will be interesting to see them try to out-macho the Australians next summer. Probably be rolling out raging bunsens [or Nagpur-style death pits] by then in a new form of pitch preparation warfare - ie we don't give a fuck but let's make it as unsuitable for the other team as possible.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracking article about England on tour here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/e...ry-yet-1350532

On the morning before the final Test, they decided to have a six-hitting competition between the squad, with teams split into North and South. Then came a battle between coach and captain. Coach won. As a result, Stokes had to serve the best on show for the North their dinner that evening, which happened to be Brook. The initial deal was for the loser to serve the victor, but McCullum figured this would be funnier.

Then came the penultimate session of the tour on the third evening, which might rank as one of the strangest / most hilarious under Stokes and McCullum. When Zak Crawley was dismissed for 41 after putting on 87 with Duckett in pursuit of a target of 167, Rehan strolled out to bat as the first sighting of the legendary "Nighthawk" role originally earmarked for Stuart Broad.

The youngster was under strict instructions to finish the game, and smacked his first ball down the ground for four. While that absurdity played out, something even more ridiculous was taking place inside the dressing-room. As Pope put it on Tuesday morning, "Stokesy was on a bit of a mad one."

For some reason, the captain decided he wanted a few more rogue options to throw into the mix if another wicket went down. According to Pope, "a load of us" were padded up, including him, having been bumped down from his usual No.3 spot. Then, on a whim, Stokes, one of the few not padded up, decided he wanted a piece of the action.

Must be the most likeable English sports team ever.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s brilliant.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two retired hurts sounds interesting for Australia, although I'm not entirely sure I agree with Warner being allowed to leave the field with cramp/exhaustion and then being able to return later in the innings. Doesn't really feel like what that rule is for.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Two retired hurts sounds interesting for Australia, although I'm not entirely sure I agree with Warner being allowed to leave the field with cramp/exhaustion and then being able to return later in the innings. Doesn't really feel like what that rule is for.
    It isn't what that rule is for. I guess if he's spasming with cramp and can't stand up it would be OK, but feels a bit convenient that this happened as soon as he got to his 200.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between knocking over Nortje with the spidercam and interviewing Mrs Warner after the day’s play, Fox Cricket had quite the day.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about her comments, was she on co-comms/punditry or something?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah they only spoke to her because Warner got a score.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is ill today so Pakistan attempted to have sub fielder Rizwan as captain. Jimmy will tell us that’s illegal so they had to send a message onto the field that actually Sarfaraz (lol) is captain now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a grey area that, as anyone can 'captain' on the field, it would just be about who speaks to the umpires or whatever. Not sure if it's the captain who has to make the review signal.

I've umpired a couple of games where the 'captain' isn't DBS checked so some patsy does the toss and talks to me while the real captain does the bowling changes and field settings.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does a cricket captain have to be DBS checked?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under 18’s in the team and the captain is responsible.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was going on with the Pakistan declaration in their game against New Zealand? I don't really get what they were up to so can only conclude this is another sign of Bazball breaking minds.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just assumed they were bowled out. Odd to say the least.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was insane, but that's the sort of nonsense that will happen when you have a moron as captain and another moron as the new chairman of selectors.

Enjoying (especially Aussie) brains being broken by this Neser boundary catch in the Large Bash.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was insane, but that's the sort of nonsense that will happen when you have a moron as captain and another moron as the new chairman of selectors.

Enjoying (especially Aussie) brains being broken by this Neser boundary catch in the Large Bash.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise that was the rule. Feels like the rule needs changing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a hard law to change.

33.2 A fair catch

33.2.1 A catch will be fair only if, in every case

either the ball, at any time

or any fielder in contact with the ball,

is not grounded beyond the boundary before the catch is completed. Note Laws 19.4 (Ball grounded beyond the boundary) and 19.5 (Fielder grounded beyond the boundary).
    33.3 Making a catch

The act of making a catch shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control over both the ball and his/her own movement.
    I can't work out a way of changing these without outlawing pretty much all 'boundary catches'. I think most of the problem that people have with this is that he flicked it up very high and thus had time to make it look nonchalant.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty unlikely scenario anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, but it just seems a bit ridiculous that a fielder could just keep flicking it up in the air over and over until he/she steps back inside the boundary rope.

(I'm only 95% still bitter about the boundary countback rule... down from 100% now that they've fixed it).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like those catches anyway so they should be outlawed. Touching the ball when your last point of contact with the ground was outside the field of play should count as touching it when outside the field of play. NFL-style, no going off the pitch and coming back on again.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do that, but then you'd have a few potential situations with normal boundary fielding that could result in a four when the ball hasn't even reached the boundary. For example a fielder is running around the boundary one foot inside and one foot outside, then stops the ball with the studs of his 'inside' foot after last grounding his outside foot.

A worrying number of people in the twitter replies want an airborne forcefield boundary, the location of which to be judged by TV umpires.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a hilariously stupid sport this is sometimes. A tedious series explodes into life on the final afternoon and it’s called off with 15 runs/1 wicket for a result

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be ridiculous Max. Someone could have died. Everyone could have died. It could have been a massacre. Perfectly safe 1 minute earlier though.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fending off Ish Sodhi grenades in the darkest of night is my worst nightmare. Glad to see everyone made it out alive.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least they had the lights on to keep it going as long as they could.

10 days played for a 0-0 tied series. Unironically love this game.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bizarre call from the third umpire here. I honestly wonder if he accidentally pressed the wrong button and was too embarrassed to correct it.

Mitchell to Hardik, OUT
    >looks like he's out somehow, or is he? Ravi Shastri says he's chopped on, we'll wait for the replays as it's an umpire's referral for bowled. Hardik tried to help the ball fine but missed as the ball went into the keeper's gloves. The bail has come off, but that's off the keeper's gloves, there's no edge shows UltraEdge, and the ball didn't hit the off stump at all, confirms the third umpire with a split screen. The big screen says OUT and everyone but the New Zealand players is stunned! We heard that the third umpire had been communicating with the on-field umpire and asked for different replays. But Hardik has gone back somehow

And then as if to rub salt in the wound.

Michael Bracewell to Gill, 2 runs
    Turning in sharply, Gill cuts it square by making room and hello, the bails are off again at the batter's end! Hit wicket or Latham? Let's see. Clean cut from Gill, he's miles far from the stumps and Latham's gloves took the bails off. Not out, if I may add

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's India, don't worry about it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TV Umpire
    India
    KN Ananthapadmanabhan
    I'd be used to fucking up basic administrative tasks if I had to write all that on every form.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is quite the partnership. I appreciate they're playing on a typical Indian ODI road but they've hit some cracking shots.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    140 rouge off 77 with the tail is some effort.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fun one from the U19 Women's World Cup:

At first I thought hang on that's a bit off, but when you watch it a few times, I think it's just out. Not really sure what batter is doing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's odd but it's out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely no fans in at the ILT20 in the UAE (hugely suspicious tournament all round), but there was one guy in to applaud Alex Hales to a maiden Desert Vipers hundred:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women's cricket might be ahead of men's in terms of the international game being blown out of the water by such things.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The effort by England to keep Buttler off strike since the 35th over has been quite impressive.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to make him work for the 100.

Harry Brook impresses me every time I see him.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's taken longer than it should have, but finally cricket has realised Shamsi isn't all that. Getting another pasting today.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazball continues to do things its own way. We cut the only warm-up match from four days to two for fear of us being burned out come the end of the three-match Test series (lol) and judging by today's efforts, Baz might think two days is too much. We've rattled past the 450 mark in the 65th over with Dan Lawrence of all people smacking 85 at a strike rate of 150 and Harry Brook chipping in with nine sixes. Oh and Ollie Pope is skipper.

Even warm up matches have become interesting.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand are getting a pasting in this series. No way their style of cricket holds up against Bazball.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find the official match result on CricInfo is a draw, thank you very much. 310 is obviously equivalent to 465.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile I see the Australia tour of India is off to a great start. Guaranteed seethe all around.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a day 1 bunsen burner or are Australia just being shit?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If India manage to bat for more than about two sessions, this four man Aussie attack is going to be a disaster.