123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrilling day of cricket, that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time when we probably wouldn't have insta-burned that review if the wicketkeeper had seen that there wasn't any contact regardless of the noise. I think Root got a bit too excited there though I've no idea what the noise was.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buttler had seen the gap, Root and co are just pillocks.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's what I mean, we always used to do the chat between wicketkeeper, bowler and captain to make sure none of them had seen anything which would definitely have ruled it out.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these drops are good.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An 80/90 run lead or whatever this ends up being is the worst of all worlds. Game moves on and we're six down by the close.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah good we're at the "getting slogged by a tailender who had to be reminded which end of the bat to hold" stage of the innings.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banga's with their first series win against Australia is good news.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That took longer than I expected.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crawley only appears to have about one good innings out of every five or six.

Does he need more time in the team, time away from the team to work on his game or is he just another who's going to constantly edge to slip / waft at some shite to get out?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sages all say he will come good, but I am less convinced. Picked about 2/3 years too early.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is “The Hundred”? It seems to be on constantly on Sky.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a crap and needless version of T20 that English cricket has dreamed up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you watched much of it, Jim?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s seems to have been on for weeks. Sometimes it’s men and sometimes it’s women. Is the Hundred a format or a place?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The graphics are absolutely horrendous for TV. I presume there's a way to watch it on a phone? Otherwise it's awful design.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Have you watched much of it, Jim?
    Bits. It has moments of entertainment in the same way that T20 does. Overall though I am not sure how/why I am supposed to care about any of the teams or how they do. It's a facile thing trying to solve a problem I'm not sure exists.

Its main benefit is more prominence for the women's game.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The graphics are absolutely horrendous for TV. I presume there's a way to watch it on a phone? Otherwise it's awful design.
    The graphics have been focus grouped to fuck. They seem to have boiled cricket's apparent lack of popularity (it's actually the number 2 most popular sport behind football, but whatever) down to 'Women can't tell who's winning', so instead of the score they have MASSIVE side bars showing the state of play. I went to a few ECB things a couple of years ago and everything they did was about activating mums and getting Holly Willoughby on board as amabassador (she has thus far resisted their charming approaches it would seem).

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The graphics have been focus grouped to fuck. They seem to have boiled cricket's apparent lack of popularity (it's actually the number 2 most popular sport behind football, but whatever) down to 'Women can't tell who's winning', so instead of the score they have MASSIVE side bars showing the state of play. I went to a few ECB things a couple of years ago and everything they did was about activating mums and getting Holly Willoughby on board as amabassador (she has thus far resisted their charming approaches it would seem).
    This is my point, from a design persepctive, on TV they're way too big and awful but would be easily readable on a phone.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The action itself hasn't been too bad.

However the commentators trying to convince me that the home crowd are really getting behind the Welsh Fire today, only to cut to a third full ground of people who clearly dont care who is winning, or even playing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Does she make the stuffy men of the ECB a bit hot under the collar?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, but the obsession with getting her in particular on board I found quite weird. Apparently she is the most respected public figure among 'mums'.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, it's the tits and teeth of somebody who might be part horse.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeen back in the squad.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure he solves the problem but fuck it, let's run with it. Might be my favourite cricketer.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah I doubt he significantly improves any of our issues I just love a bit of Mo.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broad out and Anderson a doubt. We might get rogered, you know.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ. Assuming we're going at least three seamers again who would that give us? Robinson, Curran... I see they've called up Mahmood, would he be going straight into the side if Anderson and Broad are both out? Is he any good?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have Mahmood over several of those already in the squad. He's really good.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Robinson too. Will we go for a spinner seeing as we've called up Mo? Robinson, Mahmood, Curran, Mo? I assume they'd have one of the latter two further down and maybe stick Overton in.

Unrelated but I've watched the first couple of episodes of The Fletcher Years that Sky did. I didn't realise Hussein had voluntarily stepped down as captain. Or that's how it showed it anyway, not sure if the writing was on the wall for him.

I did like though that where it was showing us getting better test series results under Fletcher in the early 2000s it showed some clips of wins in Pakistan, etc. but even then it was us chasing down whatever target at like 175-7 or something. Always tease the collapse.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be more for the betting thread, but I have officially put a chunk on India this morning. India to win this Test, to win the series, to win 3-0 and to win 4-0, all are better than evens and all have received heavy investment from me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paddypower's bets include one for the number of runs Hameed gets. Is he playing??

EDIT: Okay nevermind, it's one where it's odds given on request and it's for Hameed, Root and Rahul to get 150+ combined runs which probably happens whether you list Hameed or not.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hameed seems to be in for Crawley, yes.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 3. Interesting..... does he play there for his county? I thought he'd basically always been an opener?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has, but why bat someone where they bat for their county when you can bat them somewhere else.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I mean that's an excellent point.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could we break up such an imperious and impenetrable opening partnership though?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England have probably been a bit unlucky so far today, but picking a spinner, winning the toss, choosing to bowl and them being 46-0 after 20 overs doesn't bode well.

Sunshine's finally hit on the south coast too so it'll probably be up in London within the hour.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can probably upgrade that to very unlucky seeing Robinson beat the bat for the umpteenth time today but it's looking a bit grim now.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we need something to happen pronto.

I've just discovered that Rohit's childhood cricket coach was called "Dinesh Lad" which pleases me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broad
    Woakes
    Archer
    Stone

All injured. Add in that we can't bat, and we have basically no chance. Should be several thrashings on the trot.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we need something to happen pronto.

I've just discovered that Rohit's childhood cricket coach was called "Dinesh Lad" which pleases me.
    Siddhesh Lad and Sachin Baby definitely my two favourite Indian cricketers.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He really needs to insist that is written as 'Sachin, Baby!' every time.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thing we do trying to make the umpires change the ball due to it being out of shape, when we're not taking wickets with it, is probably the most pathetic 'tactic' going around.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the decade between 2011 and the start of 2021, no Indian opening pair had survived more than 20 overs in a Test outside Asia. Since the turn of the year they have done it five times in nine matches.
    Interesting stat from Liew's latest.

EDIT:
    Clearly having strong white‑ball players in the Test side isn’t the problem: Sharma and Rahul both have Twenty20 centuries to their name and can destroy an attack in minutes. Clearly a lack of domestic red-ball preparation isn’t the problem: Sharma hasn’t played a Ranji Trophy game since 2015. What India have displayed in recent months – and what England have not – is the self-confidence and mental stamina to hone and develop a strategy, and to stick to it when the going gets rough.

That only comes with time: time not just to practise and to acclimatise, but to think. Perhaps it is no coincidence that India arrived in this country more than two months ago, and have largely worked out a method in English conditions. Mentally, Sharma has been hitting red balls since early June. Moeen Ali has been hitting red balls since Tuesday.
    Last edited by Ian; 13-08-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think he's absolutely spot on with that. This series is an afterthought for us and ECB have basically admitted as much. Every time Silverwood gets asked about it he always starts referring to 'Ashes preparation', as if playing five home Tests against a clearly better team than Australia is just a trifling irrelevance.

India, on the other hand, have prepared better than any tourists for some years. I think having two wise old birds in Shastri and Dravid running things has gone a long way for them. Long gone are the shambolic days when Dhoni would bring Test teams over here and not give a shit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is getting fucked x-0 in this series going to be considered excellent preparation then?

Also the stuff about Sharma's positioning reminds me of Gooch talking about the same thing:
    Did you see Gooch talking about this on the Debate the other day? Talking about batsmen positioning themselves so their eyeline is just outside off for the sake of "positivity" but it also means they don't actually know where their stumps are and encourages them to chase any old wide filth that gets flung down.
    Obviously Rohit was moving toward his off-stump from leg not past it from what Liew says there rather than having the issue of being too far out but it's the same principle and I find it interesting.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the difference is that when he bats in India, he can take a more Sehwag-style approach of being dead still and just waiting to react to wherever the ball is and hit it, whereas over here because of the late movement he has to be far more disciplined about the position he gets into vis a vis off stump.

That's slightly different to what Jason Roy or someone would do in terms of setting up past off stump to open up more scoring areas on the leg side (and chasing wide filth). That basically disqualifies Roy from opening in red ball cricket, which is why we made the genius move of opening him in a home Ashes. But I'm far from a batting technique expert tbh.

Similarly Sehwag never did anything really over here, because he didn't compromise on his technique in the way Rohit has, and he was never really able to deal with lateral movement.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 13-08-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a proper day's test batting from India yesterday and something England could learn a great deal from. I know they are a better team than us and we have injuries but they went about the day in the right way. The question I was asking myself is in that weather what would England have been at the end of play yesterday? Probably at best maybe 200-5.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we'd have found a way to fuck it.

I think Burns is just inconsistent. With Sibley he has the patience but it doesn't actually seem to lead to anything, whether it's that he can't consistently turn what he's seeing into figuring out how to start to get "in" or whether he just doesn't have the range of shots or something.

It reminds me a bit of poor old Michael Carberry in that hideous Ashes tour where he was clearly valuing his wicket but it didn't actually lead to anything and he'd get out for 7 off 70 balls or something.