User Tag List

Page 147 of 256 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,350 of 12791

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My growing interest as I get older had had me tempted to see if I could give it a go but I've no idea whether a) anybody wants a dude in his mid-30s trying to start essentially from scratch and b) how it's all set up up here.

We did very little of it in the secondary school I spent the most years at.

And I presume I've talked on here about the time Andy Moles brought Kwik Cricket to our school for a few sessions and I managed to get a yellow card.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People do start playing at older ages, usually the best route in is if you have a mate who plays and his team are inevitably short of players one day. In my experience, people who turn up at a club (especially a bigger club) and just start training tend to get overwhelmed pretty quickly as there's a big learning curve gap to the regulars, let alone the people who are good.

Having played 400 games or something daft and umpired another 100+, though, there is genuinely nothing like it.

The current situation vis a vis Covid is pretty entertaining - as of right now this second, the government is allowing a 2 man net session with social distancing, but the ECB is still saying no, you're not allowed to play under any circumstances. We're expecting another ECB update hopefully this evening, but if anything ever summed up the ECB, this is it. I'm having to send out updates every day at the moment as I have 40 adults and about 200 kids gagging to get out there and net.

I doubt we'll play matches this year. I hope to be wrong.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a lot of fucking admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    In my experience, people who turn up at a club (especially a bigger club) and just start training tend to get overwhelmed pretty quickly as there's a big learning curve gap to the regulars, let alone the people who are good.
    Well yes, this is the other thing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a guy in his 50s turn up a few years ago and start netting with our 4th team. I thought ok, fine, have a go, either he'll prove alright and get into it, or more likely he'll see the light and stop playing/move somewhere else. He was absolute dogshit (as in, you couldn't have fielded him in a match, for his own safety) but he never gave in, ever. Just kept coming, week after week, and kept being equally hopeless. In the end I just had to take him aside and do the old Lenny and George fields of alfalfa routine. Tragic stuff.

A few weeks later I then saw him attempting to speak French to a bemused cheese seller at the local farmer's market and thought, yes, right decision.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wanna be that guy. I was decent at sport at school (though rugby was more my thng) but as I said, other than my overly physical participation in Kwik Cricket I didn't get to play cricket much.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Eoin Musk joke all lined-up there.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    We had a guy in his 50s turn up a few years ago and start netting with our 4th team. I thought ok, fine, have a go, either he'll prove alright and get into it, or more likely he'll see the light and stop playing/move somewhere else. He was absolute dogshit (as in, you couldn't have fielded him in a match, for his own safety) but he never gave in, ever. Just kept coming, week after week, and kept being equally hopeless. In the end I just had to take him aside and do the old Lenny and George fields of alfalfa routine. Tragic stuff.

A few weeks later I then saw him attempting to speak French to a bemused cheese seller at the local farmer's market and thought, yes, right decision.
    We had a similar thing at our football team. Portuguese London guy. Keen as mustard. Saw the advert on gumtree and was there every week. Problem was he was awful and dreadfully simple.

We eventually had to do the thanks but no thanks (he did last a season in our sixth team). One highlight was him sending a timer image of him 'doing 100m' which was ten seconds dead.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We reckon we might be back on 11 July. Test match might be around then too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests have been scheduled against the Windies then - it will be great to have some cricket back, even without a crowd in England which will be an eerie feeling.

Hopefully the local clubs start back soon as I'd still love to get involved sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess cricket might be a bit less shittified sans-crowd but it'll still kill the big moments.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    Hopefully the local clubs start back soon as I'd still love to get involved sooner rather than later.
    The government allowed 6 person outdoor gatherings I think it was last Thursday evening. Every other sport immediately adjusted their guidance as to practice/exercise according to the new guidelines.

Here we are the following Thursday morning, and the ECB have still not got beyond 'seeking to understand' the new regulations and their impact on cricket practice. So we're still only allowed to practise with 2 people, as per week-old regulations.

I wonder how long their quest to understand 6 being more people than 2 will take. It must be an epic worthy of Tolkien.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're waiting to see the DATA.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're trying to work out if 6 would still mean 6 if everyone were James Taylor's height or under.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My little birds tell me that it'll be another 48 hours before 'small group advice' is issued by the ECB. I can't imagine what earth-shattering wisdom will be contained within that document.

It's the worst kept secret in cricket circles that the ball is not an issue unless you smear saliva on it (sweat is fine). What they're shit scared of, apparently, is not being able to 'police' social distancing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boycott gone from TMS, then. It was probably long since time.

EDIT: Oh and the article I'm reading has linked to him writing a farewell in the Telegraph in which he explains why women can't be good cricket analysts.

As if it weren't bad enough that whenever he was paired with any of TMS' female commentators he talked to them like a creepy uncle.
    Last edited by Ian; 10-06-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Now if they could also eject Michael Vaughan and make it a Yorkshire-free zone it would be much appreciated.

Hopefully clears the way for them to bring in Gower

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never minded the Boycott/Aggers dynamic.

Comms will be poorer for not having him, a bit like when Tony Greig went even though he was generally annoying (particularly with his penchant for shouting GONE! before an edge had been caught or not caught).

Vaughan, yeah, he can go.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I guess so, but he's such a whopper that I think we can get over it.

Any well balanced box does need someone who isn't too cosy with the current players.

The sharpest analyst they have is Vic Marks but they seem hellbent on not using him for some reason.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we not sacrifice Boycott in some Pagan ritual to get another few years of Bob Willis?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Africa obviously thought the idea for The Hundred was far too sensible, so they've come up with their own: three teams playing in one match.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I posted some ludicrous solution to the eternal shortening of cricket formats. I can't find the post but it's only marginally stupider than that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew Strauss has been mentioned as a potential Cricket Australia boss.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53034105

I hope we get the categories that we really care about. Best Family, Best Adherence to Plans, Best Height, that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It pains me to say that the title of Best Ever Cricketer Profile Portrait has been taken out of the grasp of Jonathan Trott and taken up by Rahkeem 'The Dream' Cornwall's pre-series photo:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an athletic hunk of man.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have recognised Plunkett.

EDIT:
    Okay embedding the image didn't work: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...as-a-cricketer

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't think of anyone treated worse by the ECB than him, and that really is saying a lot.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England streaming a three day warm-up match against themselves, LIVE: https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/ne...ra-squad-match. Mr B.A. Stokes's XI vs Mr J.C. Buttler's XI.

Mr B.A. Stokes's XI just took their first wicket, Burns c Foakes b Overton for 21, and they all bumped elbows in raucous celebration.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the always popular bum pat verboten in these times? Cricketers won’t know what to do with themselves when their mate stops one at backward point.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll probably have to elbow their bums instead.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3/1 and twice off for rain. Welcome back.

I've got some dollar on West Indies here, and if I was more organised would have for the series too.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see we are BACK.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skinny Sibley is the worst Sibley

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sibley played against my club when he was 18 (made 160*) and I have a very distinct memory of him going to the bar and placing a stock order for 12 cans of coke. Obviously left those sugary days behind him, and also those run-scoring days.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only caught a bit of Sky's bit on cricket and race last night but from what little I saw Michael Holding looked to be absolutely donning it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He really did. Dobbed in Thomas Edison too which is always a nice bonus.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the whole show worth watching? Ebony Rainford-Brent came across quite well in the bit I saw too, but then she's always seemed quite articulate.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen the 5 minute package they did and then the subsequent chatter/oratory between Holding, Ebz and Nasser.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird hearing an English voice in the booth.

We're so good at cricket.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great cricket. Absolutely enthralling morning. Obviously it's a shame we're 5 down but it's fascinating to watch.

Holding was impressive yesterday, as you've already noted. But both Ebony and Nasser also spoke really well, and I took a lot more from the conversation than I have when it's been other sports. Maybe I naturally regard cricket commentators and players more highly, but it resonated more with me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket is a much more reflective, thoughtful game than pretty much all others and that shows up in its prominent figures. Well, some of them. Probably not Ronnie Irani, and probably not David Warner.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasser Hussein explaining TikTok to Michael Holding feels like the closest I remember Sky commentary coming to TMS' frivolous side-chat.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roston Chase into the attack. Genuine nightmares of that disgusting 8-for he took last year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't turn a single one.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, why don't they just play the full 5 days/450 overs in this match using an extra day if needed? It's not like there can be much planning needed for an extra day in terms of staff at the ground etc. Should definitely have built that into the schedule for these games if they're having to rush off for the next game and so can't/won't do it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I wrong in thinking that strangled down the leg side is a much more common mode of dismissal these days than in days gone by (other than where it was specifically planned for)? What would be the cause of that? More athletic wicketkeepers? More inept batting? It just seems the absolute worst way to go.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butler back to his best, executing his plans and answering his critics.

We've powerhoused our way from relative comfort to deep in the shit in about 30 minutes.