User Tag List

Page 13 of 257 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Bat's Man" amused me.

Also with this and the one on their tour over here it feels like about a third of my life has been dedicated to two Amla innings.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barmy Army!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this has made me chuckle. It seems James Anderson has been given a telling-off by umpire Aleem Dar for saying something out of turn, and in protest England captain Alastair Cook is refusing to speak, giving his fielders instructions using only finger pointing and arm waving.
    That sounds like a proper tantrum.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    Barmy Army!
    It's gone squarely tits-up from the moment I posted that. Hales will be back on in a minute.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a clip of Stokes telling Bavuma 'You are absolutely shit' going round twitter, when on 8. Doesn't seem to have paid off.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia have pulled out of the under 19 World Cup. They are always the first team to pull out of cricket matches in dodgy countries - in my time I've seen them pull out of all the subcontinent nations bar India (they pulled out of Pakistan years before anyone else), as well as Kenya and Zimbabwe. What is it about Australianness that makes them so cautious? Even good old blighty are heading over.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and having conducted an amateur steward's inquiry into this kid scoring 1000 runs, I'm calling bullshit.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's super dodgy. He was playing against a load of kids younger than him, some of which have barely played before. Also seems to be some suggestion it's a publicity stunt to get the young lad some name recognition before he embarks on his first class career.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They bowled the other team out for 31 and then scored 1,463 for 3 declared. Do the words 'we've got enough now' never cross the captain's mind?

The scorecard adds up differently at different points in the innings as well. Not legit in any way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously doing a bit early on but flattened out later. Good toss to win by the skipper

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Where's good to watch cricket highlights online? Obviously I don't have a sky subscription. By highlights I mean ~1-2 hours per day's play, not those shitty youtube videos with a day's play condensed into 5 minutes of wickets and the occasional boundary.
    http://mycrickethighlights.com/england

Give that a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    What you're basically saying is that if any women want to work in cricket, they should accept that being leered at and publicly humiliated by Chris Gayle is part of the job.
    What if he was gay and the interviewer was a man and he made the same pass? It is unbecoming conduct but I don't see it as inherently sexist.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't gay, and she isn't a man. She's a woman, and he's a creep.

Channel Ten initially tweeted #SMOOTH about the incident, which sums it up. Women are only allowed into sport if their purpose is to be bantered about, sexually, by men, and if any of them complain about it then the response is 'Come on love, it's only a bit of fun'. Brilliant.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what if Jimmy Floyd! What if!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what the reaction would have been if she immediately shot back with "not if you were the last man on the planet", or something similarly withering.

My personal favorite: "Not even if it would cure cancer."

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Im not interested in your stds cheers mate."

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A billion in the first innings and we're still trying to lose.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the Gayle thing really needed was to cut back to Richie Benaud in the box for a six word withering comment.

'Not the smartest man in Hobart. 96 for 4.'

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank fuck for that first innings lead.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's say they need 180 in a session (quite optimistic), are they going for it? Everything I know about South African cricket tells me Kallis will respawn and protect his average.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amla has decided to resign, mid series. I applaud this decision, however. I've never felt that he was a natural captain, ever since he started captaining on a part time basis for the ODI side. Also, I love his press conference and the way he handled it, what a guy, what a legend.

This will leave AB in charge, of which I'm very exited about, because he's the best cricketer around, and captaincy seems to bring out the best in him in every way.

Coming back to this test, wow. Did not expect it to end with us having the momentum going into the Wanderers test, massive confidence boost. I can't see is losing this series now, a draw at the least. Hopefully we win the next one, so the Centurion test is the decider, where I will 100% go to the stadium, and enjoy the great atmosphere we've had so far in this series. The Barmy Army really is the best travelling supporters of any sport, surely.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon we'll cling on, unless any of the first XI get eaten on a bush drive or similar misfortune. 'No, Mr Leopard, please take Woakesy'. We're about as good as we've been for some time.

Or, to put it another way, you'll need Steyn and/or AB to produce some magic to win a match.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 wickets does seem quite difficult with Morkel, Rabada, Piedt and Morris, so we really need Steyn to be fit for at least one full test. Philander is out pf the series. And to not expect Root to score a century in one of the remaining tests, would be foolhardy, in fact, there is probably much more to come from your batting line-up.

As a very patriotic supporter, I would be 1) Astonished if we don't win at least one test, 2) At least draw this series. We've still got enough quality and experience to pull this through.

On a slightly unrelated note, Bavuma's century was a truly eye watering moment

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first: I admire Amla for deciding it's not for him/ he's not for the job. How many (relatively, at least) unsuccessful captains in other sports just crack on until they're shoved because quitting would be seen as cowardice rather than wondering what is best for the team? Fair play.

Secondly, Willis is just the best. I don't have enough knowledge to know the reasons for Amla's woes but Bob just says "He wasn't a good captain." And speaks in enough depth about things that yo know he's not just being a twat. My favourite pundit. So good.

EDIT: Charles Coville is good as well. He knows his pundits well enough to have a laugh but will press them for answers if they're not forthcoming. Basically the Verdict, just ahead of MNF when Nev was there, is my favourite sport show.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amla is obviously a gent. I read earlier that stressed players go and sit next to him for his calm aura, as if he's like a walking Lourdes.

South Africa are on the verge of becoming quite a likeable team actually, although saying that makes me want to cut out my own tongue. Bavuma is probably my favourite. Proper livewire in the field, and took on our big bad bullies like a boss. Finn and Broad are both over a foot taller than him for god's sake.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob now basically giving Charles a Stare for asking for Botham/Stokes comparisons this early on. But also, quite rightly, not abandoning his previous stance just because Stokes and, even more so, Bairstow, have had good innings.

No idea if I got the commas right there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see South Africa drawing this, but only if England have one proper collapse. The problem there is that England bat so deep at the moment that even if you've got them six or seven down, the wickets won't come easy.

South Africa can score big runs, but they need the bulk of those to come from Amla and De Villiers. So far from impossible, but to leverage that into a test win, they need a few things to go their way.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sort of have to bat deep though because our top four still look prone to a mega-wobble.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see us going with this bat deep plan for a while to be honest, which in theory should be good news for the likes of Hales as it gives him licence. Longer term I could see an issue with taking 20 wickets in certain places once Broad and Anderson are done, but by then Sam Curran will be ready so it won't really matter which other 10 we pick.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter Nevill just got run out in the T20 for Melbourne against Sydney in easily the most bizarre dismissal I've ever seen.

Bravo hit it back down the pitch.
    The ball hit Nevill's bat
    It cannons directly into the face of the bowler (Zampa)
    And then subsequently rebounds into the stumps, with Nevill out of his crease

After medical treatment, Zampa came back and got another wicket in the over.

EDIT: Cricinfo description:

Zampa to Bravo, OUT, what's happened there now? Zampa's been struck in the face. And I think Nevill's run out! Bravo stepped out of his crease and hit the ball towards the non-striker, Nevill was standing a long way out of his crease with his bat hanging out to his left. The ball crashed into the bat and ricocheted into the face of Zampa, who was reacting to try and field it. The ball then ricocheted off Zampa's face and hit the stumps, with Nevill well short. What a bizarre dismissal. Nevill checks on Zampa, who is bleeding from the nose, before walking off. The doctor runs on to the field to help Zampa out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw that. Good old Zamps.

That Stars team looks properly wank, apart from KP and the inexplicably tournament-dominating Luke Wright. 'He's batting with his Stoinis hanging out'

Delayed start to the second innings because they're waiting for smoke to clear from the pitch, how Big Bash is that?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must have been fucking painful. Surprised it didn't cause more damage actually.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw it this morning

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George Bailey has made India seethe by not walking when he nicked off first ball, then scoring a hundred, and then saying in the post match interview 'Well it would have been interesting to review that, but we're not the team that doesn't want DRS'.

Might build a shrine to him.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's bantered off Warne in the past as well hasn't he? Seems a good lad.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George Bailey has made India seethe by not walking when he nicked off first ball, then scoring a hundred, and then saying in the post match interview 'Well it would have been interesting to review that, but we're not the team that doesn't want DRS'.

x fuck knows how much.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a man.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was actually a fantastic run chase to watch. They ran down 310 easily, mostly with ones and twos. I really enjoyed seeing batsmen ticking the score over and rotating the strike, which is on its way to becoming a lost art. They went for the big shots when they were available, but there was no intention or necessity to hit boundaries when there were easy singles on offer. Really sensible innings from both Bailey and Smith.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it comes, Episode Three (Revenge of the Sith). Said Sith have responded to Dane Piedt threatening to win them the last match by dropping him from their squad, and they will go in with a four man seam attack, failing it seems to recognise that dirty non-turning off breaks are by far the most potent weapon any side can have against England.

I think they'll punt for this:

de Kock
    Elgar
    Amla
    de Villiers (who has spent the build-up mouthing off about how 'the ICC' need to rein in the amount of international cricket because he is too tired, ignoring the fact that it's his own board which schedules his series and he is free to drop out of any he wishes, because he's the best player there and he can, not a luxury available to most pros. In summary, this.)
    du Plessis
    Bavuma
    Duminy (he's back, cos he's black. And he scored 260* the other day)
    Morris
    Rabada
    Viljoen
    Morkel

England meanwhile will be unchanged unless Hales has done himself in, in which case fuck only knows. Presumably Compton would go up to open and Gallance would arrive at three, but that sounds ghastly to me.

I think they've been trying too hard to set up conditions in their favour, so we'll win.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shambles...

After Dale Steyn was ruled out yesterday, Quentin de Kock has been ruled out this morning after falling awkwardly and injuring his knee at home last night. His replacement is fellow wicketkeeper Dane Vilas, who is currently catching a flight from Port Elizabeth. He’ll be late for the start and de Villiers will start behind the stumps if South Africa bowl first.
    Don't forget your subs, Dane.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy with that. Keeping and opening might be tricky, is there any other players in domestic/international cricket who does that in first class/test cricket?

I'm undecided on whether or not Piedt should've been picked. Maybe 4 quicks is a bit over kill, none of them seem too different from each other. On the other hand, I don't think Piedt is good enough to put pressure on the batsmen when he eventually comes on after about 16 overs. And Morris, Viljoen and Rabada have all been bowling really well at Wanderers.

Than ABDV statement he made scares the shit out of me. The ICC needs to come up with a way where there is not such a big wage difference between the different nations. But they won't, because of The Big Three will only look after themselves, and Test cricket might lose one of the best players in recent memory. CSA also needs to grow some balls however. With the talent roaming around in the country, there's no way we should be bending over to the so called "bigger nations". I know it's about money, but they really should do better. I'll write a bit about that later. First, I need a shower, breakfast, and then I'm nailed to the telly until the day is done.

It'll be my days purpose to get a comment published on cricinfo, any of you ever managed it?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This'll be all over in about 3 days by the looks of the pitch (if it isn't abandoned before lunch Sabina Park style).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injuring his knee at home? That's the sort of bollocks that hung over players try on me.

This is clearly doctored to fuck, though I'm not sure why as we have the superior attack. England to win. Pitch shenanigans always backfire.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitch is playing fine. England bowling too short. Need Woakesy and his probing line and length and nice face

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see they have failed to fulfil their own quota as well. Clearly the inability to drop Stiaan van Zyl is stronger than the forces of transformation.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Gulam Bodi is the fucker involved in the match fixing in the Ram Slam. What a dick.

Decent start for us, and for the love of God, please get Stephen Cook into the side!! I like van Zyl, but he's not an opener. He got out on a nothing shot, the type no opener would ever play.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We seem to have worked our way back into this. Woakesy baby assisting the run out, you just can't keep him out of the game.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saffers really relying on this Still Tobat to make an impact here.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't really know why Finn isn't starting off this morning