User Tag List

Page 1 of 256 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cricket Thread

Jim is probably off wanking himself into oblivion at Dertrash taking a hat trick in a 6 fer against Glous. Surrey well on top on this final. The great man is in now.

Never mind Mourinho taking care of Wenger again, if he doesnt know about that we may never see him again.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is Jimmy?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surrey bottling this

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did lol

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually at that final and fucking hell. Had to watch Jade shit-grin his way through a hat trick and then watch everyone else collapse.

Sam Curran though, my fucking lord, we're talking a once in 25 years player here boys. Strap in. He will end the Test career of Ben Stokes within 3 years.

Anyway I came here because Samit Patel, or 'Smith Patel' as Waqar Younis insisted on calling him during the last tour of the UAE, has earned an England recall in place of the injured Ansari. What a trooper.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always been a big Samit fan. Lovely player to watch in full flow. Plus he's a fat lad so good on him.

MartinSAFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Always been a big Samit fan. Lovely player to watch in full flow. Plus he's a fat lad so good on him.
    Me too.

What side does everyone think will be picked for the first test against Pakistan?

I would like to see:

Cook
    Moeen
    Bell
    Root
    Taylor
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Rashid
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

But I think we'll go with Hales instead of Taylor. Or perhaps Hales instead of Stokes. Both of these changes would mean Moeen batting somewhere in the middle order instead of opening.

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinSAFC View Post
    Me too.

What side does everyone think will be picked for the first test against Pakistan?

I would like to see:

Cook
    Moeen
    Bell
    Root
    Taylor
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Rashid
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

But I think we'll go with Hales instead of Taylor. Or perhaps Hales instead of Stokes. Both of these changes would mean Moeen batting somewhere in the middle order instead of opening.
    I'd like to see Taylor and Bairstow in the side but I can't see it. I also think Hales is going to be given a chance. Do you think they'll pick 3 quick's as well as Stokes with the amount of spin you would expect to be bowled?

I think they'll go

Cook
    Hales
    Bell
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Moeen
    Rashid
    Wood/Finn
    Broad
    Anderson

MartinSAFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd like to see Taylor and Bairstow in the side but I can't see it. I also think Hales is going to be given a chance. Do you think they'll pick 3 quick's as well as Stokes with the amount of spin you would expect to be bowled?

I think they'll go

Cook
    Hales
    Bell
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Moeen
    Rashid
    Wood/Finn
    Broad
    Anderson
    I think Bairstow will play ahead of Buttler. Stokes was the one I was unsure about, we probably don't need four seamers in the UAE and we might decide to go with a batter instead of Stokes as the all rounder.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a proper conundrum, this one. Hard to second guess what they'll do. You need a maths degree to adequately sum up the equation.

I think Cook, Bell, Root, Moeen, Rashid and Broad are all shoo ins. That leaves five spots of whom one is a keeper, two will bowl seam and the other two will bat.

Personally I would go Buttler, then Anderson and Wood (or even Finn and Wood), then Hales and Taylor.

That leaves Stokes and Bairstow on the sidelines and they could each step into a couple of those roles.

Stokes is actually the key to the puzzle.

MartinSAFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's a proper conundrum, this one. Hard to second guess what they'll do. You need a maths degree to adequately sum up the equation.

I think Cook, Bell, Root, Moeen, Rashid and Broad are all shoo ins. That leaves five spots of whom one is a keeper, two will bowl seam and the other two will bat.

Personally I would go Buttler, then Anderson and Wood (or even Finn and Wood), then Hales and Taylor.

That leaves Stokes and Bairstow on the sidelines and they could each step into a couple of those roles.
    Did Anderson bowl reasonably well in the UAE last time around (at least compared to our other seamers) or am I imagining things?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buttler is by far the superior gloveman to Bairstow, which added to his x factor with the bat should see him selected in my view.

MartinSAFC
    Buttler is by far the superior gloveman to Bairstow, which added to his x factor with the bat should see him selected in my view.
    We didn't see much of this "x factor with the bat" in the summer. I would play Bairstow in the tests and hope Buttler returns to form in the one day stuff, if he does then he can be selected for the tests again.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Anderson bowl reasonably well in the UAE last time around (at least compared to our other seamers) or am I imagining things?
    I seem to remember Broad outbowling him (Anderson was great in India the following winter). Regardless I'm not sure he's quite the same bowler now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't see much of this "x factor with the bat" in the summer. I would play Bairstow in the tests and hope Buttler returns to form in the one day stuff, if he does then he can be selected for the tests again.
    That's why it's an x factor, if he averaged 70 doing it then he'd be a living all time legend. Bairstow can't change a session in the same way and lacks refinement with the gloves. You need different things in your batting lineup.

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes is definitley the key and I don't see him being left out of the side unless he's injured.

Which means he either plays as a batter whose also 4th choice seamer if required, Or he's the third seamer and we have Moeen at 8 and Rashid (Patel by the 2nd test after they have lost faith in Rashid again) at 9.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But would you really pick Stokes to bat ahead of Taylor or Bairstow? Or would you keep the miles in his legs for South Africa where he'll be indispensable?

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But would you really pick Stokes to bat ahead of Taylor or Bairstow? Or would you keep the miles in his legs for South Africa where he'll be indispensable?
    I wouldn't no. I think the selectors will do though

MartinSAFC
    That's why it's an x factor, if he averaged 70 doing it then he'd be a living all time legend. Bairstow can't change a session in the same way and lacks refinement with the gloves. You need different things in your batting lineup.
    I agree that Buttler is better with the gloves but Bairstow is the better batsman. I'm not expecting him to average 70 but somewhere around 30 would be good given the type of batsman he is. I just don't think he can achieve that at this stage.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this is irrelevant anyway because of the Currans. I'm close to cracking emotionally.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameron Bancroft is in the squad for Bangladesh. I'm quite excited about him, so hopefully he can make it stick. He's supposed to be an outstanding close-in fielder, so that's got to be a big point in his favour. There's lots of places up for grabs in the Australian side at the moment; hopefully he can lock one down.

MartinSAFC
    All this is irrelevant anyway because of the Currans. I'm close to cracking emotionally.
    Sam Curran has looked awesome every time I've seen him on Sky. Left armer, capable of reverse swing, decent pace already too and I hear he got runs the other day too. Definitely one to look out for, we might have see him in the England team in the near future.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no might, this is the actual messiah. Totally different league to say Flintoff.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes' bowling might be quite effective. He gets it to reverse as much as anyone in that England team. And I would actually bat him ahead of Bairstow, Stokes is a bit streaky but it's got a brilliant Test innings in him, we've seen more than one already. Bairstow ain't good enough.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of agree (especially on the bowling front) but if we go in with three non-batting seamers and then four of the other eight being Moeen, Stokes, Rashid and Buttler, we're looking pretty flimsy and reliant on the mercurial quartet coming off, which is lovely to have but I'm not sure we're ready to build our team around it on away tours.

God I miss Trott.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trott misses Trott.

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The club I play for is currently being screwed over due to the creation of a pyramid structure for cricket in Yorkshire being created. Our league will be merging with the Bradford league next year to create one of 4 ECB premier leagues in Yorkshire. The top division will contain no clubs from our league despite id say 4 of them being capable of challenging for the title.

The top 7 clubs from our league will go in alongside the clubs from the 2nd division of the Bradford league creating 2 conferences and then the bottom 5 clubs from our premier league will be relegated and go into below divisions alongside clubs from lower down out league. We finished 8th

So from 8th in the top division to the 3rd tier but effectively the 4th division next season. This was all decided 2 weeks before the end of the season as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you have playoffs in Abu Dhabi, or so I read somewhere. It is definitely the way forward, the closed shop leagues of yore will just end up like the Lancs one and suffocate under their own pomposity.

League rejigs are always awkward at first but if you give it 2-3 years to settle down the cricket will be a lot more satisfying.

We have a dreamy structure down here. Leagues of 10 from top to bottom. No combination. Furthest journey is an hour or so, and two up two down which allows a club to find its level.

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you have playoffs in Abu Dhabi, or so I read somewhere. It is definitely the way forward, the closed shop leagues of yore will just end up like the Lancs one and suffocate under their own pomposity.

League rejigs are always awkward at first but if you give it 2-3 years to settle down the cricket will be a lot more satisfying.

We have a dreamy structure down here. Leagues of 10 from top to bottom. No combination. Furthest journey is an hour or so, and two up two down which allows a club to find its level.
    Don't think we'll ever be needing our passports. You are right, and it will be nice not to have those 6-8 games were you know your getting beat before you've turned up. Just seems like the last 10 years of fighting to get to that level and showing we belong (we've finished 4th, 5th and 6th in previous seasons) have all been a waste and we're back to starting from the bottom again.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Popped back to the Titanic to get the Jimrage posts.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work Ian. And Jimmy obvs.

That Moeen/Ravi chess photo taken by 'ECB snipers' is fucking gold. Might make it my phone wallpaper.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their chess positions are familiar. Moeen has a slightly questionable defence, but it's an attractive style of play and he's gained the upper hand. Ravi, meanwhile, sets up very solidly, but you have to question where it's all actually going.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/923531.html

Wouldn't blame them for not going, Bangladesh is becoming ever more ISIS-y.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've only gone and opened with Moeen in the first warm-up.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be that he and Hales will get a warm up match each to show what they can do.

Root in prime form already obviously

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bairstow and Stokes at 5 and 6 is fucking depressing. The latter is going to get absolutely taken apart over there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both will be. We went with a ginger 5-6 combo last time in the UAE. I remember one particular evening session of Ajmal bowling to Morgan with about 35 men around the bat which was just terrifying.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bairstow looking like the lesser of the ginger bomb scares so far

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, good to see 'Jos' playing himself into a bit of form as well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India got a right royal roasting off the biltong brothers earlier, and their fans celebrated by bottling the pitch on three occasions. They're really not conditioned to accept defeat over there, which is why the IPL is such a thing for them, because India always wins.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ice-filled towel.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know warm-up games being a shambles is a modern staple, but they seem to be taking the piss with these ones.

Pak A: 192-12

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some bloke got two ducks.

We seem to be running with Moeen opening. My gawd. That must mean three seamers AND Stokes, and Rashid no doubt. Dat batting.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samit for Bairstow. Imagine the bowling options, not all great options , but options nonetheless.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of the variety too. Off spin, left arm orthodox, leg spin, and whatever Joe Root bowls (right arm earnest?). All of it rubbish, but that doesn't matter.

We really should have left Jimmy at home for this. Oh well.

Less is more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our game got "rained" out today. As I have it, no rain actually fell from when the broadcast started, but the outfield was wet, and stayed wet enough throughout for it to be cancelled.

Now, my question is: Eden Gardens is supposedly one of the best cricket venues going around. How can their drainage be so poor that they couldn't even manage a game? How could they be so poor at clearing the outfield?
    Couple this with the piss poor scenes of the 2nd T20i, in conclusion, fuck India, even more than usual.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of the variety too. Off spin, left arm orthodox, leg spin, and whatever Joe Root bowls (right arm earnest?). All of it rubbish, but that doesn't matter.

We really should have left Jimmy at home for this. Oh well.
    Imagine Trotty's medium pace in there as well!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly I can't find a video of his legendary exploits in Dubai last time round so we'll have to make do with the cricinfo line to prove it happened.

67.6 70.0 mph, that's a masterstroke by Strauss! The innocuous Trott gets a wicket, he lands it a shade outside off and gets it to come in slightly, Younis gets his front pad across and didn't appear to offer a proper shot, he was half forward, hits him in line with the stumps and Bowden sends him marching 202/4

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)