User Tag List

Page 166 of 256 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,300 of 12791

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember that at all. Was it a result of Morgan gobbing off about something?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the pope have a balcony?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure he had to go straight to hospital when the adrenaline wore off.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol what am I missing. How can that be deemed intentional

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I saw that one and that seems harsh to me, if intent factors into the rule.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks the correct decision to me. That law refers to 'wilful action', not intent; so because he did kick the ball away, in the course of a movement that he did intend to do, it is obstructing the field.

That's how I would interpret it, anyway. Everyone on twitter seems to think it was 'accidental obstruction' but I'm not certain that is what accidental means. He didn't accidentally walk backwards over where the ball was, he meant to do it.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 12-03-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.

That feels like a flawed law to me though I can't really articulate why because I can't think of anything that works better that's a reasonable comparison.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other way of doing it is asking the umpires to make value judgements as to the player's intent/motivation, which is both not doable and also doesn't address the fact that the batsman has obstructed the field.

It's the one that as an umpire you pray doesn't come up in the game because the side on the wrong end of the decision (either way) always feels a violent injustice has been done. I've had a few 'fucking hell' type situations in my umpiring career to date but I've not yet had an appeal for obstructing the field, long may that continue.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was kinda where I fell down on it, trying to compare to other laws or non-sporting ones but couldn't find one that made me any happier about it.

It kinda feels like either way somebody's going to be annoyed about that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how the rule works, but surely it's wrong because he isn't actually obstructing the field(er) in any meaningful way. If he'd stood his ground and the fielder had run into him he'd probably have been on safer ground, perversely, and if the rule becomes 'any touching of the ball by the batsman in the course of a deliberate action' then it surely becomes far more problematic (in the style of VAR and handball).

Should obviously just not be appealed but, well, good luck with that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is obstructing the field, because, as the third umpire says (albeit with rather too much initial certainty for my liking), he kicks the ball away from the fielder. It's not the umpire's job to determine whether a run out was likely, only whether the fielder was wilfully obstructed. The key is that 'wilful' is very different from 'deliberate'.

In that situation as a batsman you should turn and go back in your crease, this would be interpreted as a normal cricketing action and you'd get away with it even if there was an accidental kick of the ball. In that situation he's just dancing around like a pansy, which is where the problem comes from.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Cricket or know the rules. Infact I actually meant to click on the News Thread, but Jimmy's definition is still upsetting me. 'Didn't walk backwards by accident' indeed. The Mike Dean of the Cricketing World. What a bastard.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd not listened to the sound, but it is rather good. The third umpire clearly hasn't got a scooby doo so just stays with what has been (very obviously wrongly) decided on the field.

Unsurprisingly it's the home nation's man in the booth and it's becoming a bit of a major issue.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I don't like Cricket or know the rules. Infact I actually meant to click on the News Thread, but Jimmy's definition is still upsetting me. 'Didn't walk backwards by accident' indeed. The Mike Dean of the Cricketing World. What a bastard.
    If this happened in an actual game I was doing (i.e. without TV or replays), I would probably just have a chat with my colleague and we'd decide it was not out just for the sake of having a peaceful afternoon.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I have mentally amended you to the Martin Atkinson of the Cricketing world.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing a game last year with a more experienced guy and, when doling out tips at the end as they all love to do, he told me I need to be 'much more theatrical' and that 'the field is your stage'.

Probably the worst advice I've ever received from anyone, including when my mum told me to get on a bus after being kicked out of King's Cross on 7/7.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That guy sounds like a twat.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Probably the worst advice I've ever received from anyone, including when my mum told me to get on a bus after being kicked out of King's Cross on 7/7.
    Awesome.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely cruised that chase, Buttler just makes it look so easy.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every single wicket being sent for umpire review in this is pretty lol.

Is soft signal out the best you can get on field against India nowadays?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This chase has started well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I know all professional sports people are competitive (by nature), but Kohli must be one of the most competitive people ever. It seethes out of him.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was rather disappointing.

India are a very good team, got to be one of the favourites for the World Cup.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're almost as good tbh. They are favourites in their own conditions but us, Australia, maybe NZ, maybe WI not far behind.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I get from barely paying attention to Cricket is how easily the tides of change kick in. Australia used to be mint, then we were, now it's India. It's the fall of Rome every couple of years or something.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supremacy was England and Australia (more Australia) up and down until about 1975; then it was West Indies between 1975 and 1995; then Australia 1995-2007; then South Africa 2007-13 with England vying for it; then India probably since then.

Structurally India have got to the point where they should win all cricket easily, but in practice it doesn't really work that way.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're almost as good tbh. They are favourites in their own conditions but us, Australia, maybe NZ, maybe WI not far behind.
    Agreed. And nice to see Malan get back to somewhere near good form today.

I've not really given this any thought, but I can't think of another sport where playing at home offers such a big advantage in terms of playing conditions.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam Curran's hair is shit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Tom Curran has a really odd run-up.

Could have done without all these late runs being piled on.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost everywhere, football dominated alternative sports in the long run because it could be played with almost no equipment in a confined space. That said, street cricket took similar hold in the subcontinent, and is still the dominant form in many respects, so I don't know why that didn't happen elsewhere. I guess there was a more formal British presence in India.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess there was a more formal British presence in India.
    Especially in this run chase.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The timing of that post must have been pretty close to when the first wicket went.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was after the first wicket but before the subsequent timber rush.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, well I'm prepared to credit you with half a jinx on the scorecard.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Root being 'rested' for all the limited overs stuff?

Probably could have done with a tickeroverer to have gone in after the opening stand.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe the current cyborg thinking is very much dismissive of the tickeroverer. Instead they love the explosive player 'batting within themselves' and then 'catching up'.

I haven't got the broadcast so not sure if they've mentioned it, but this is a World Cup qualifier with over rate deductions and I'm not sure either side actually cares.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were talking about the over rate earlier. I think the India innings was 40 minutes late finishing, they said.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will 100% get a point deducted for that (India have already had a deduction from their games vs Aus, and Sri Lanka are on -2 points because of it). These two teams might be arrogant enough to think it doesn't matter because they'll qualify anyway, but what if they don't? What then?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then we can all have a good lol.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking like we've properly fucked this.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have. Middle overs wickets strikes again, the thing we did brilliantly in 2019 and now can't do at all either side of the ball.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Rakeem the Dream got a brisk 61 against Sri Lanka and has taken a couple of wickets too.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Dickwella 96 was performance art. Now 17 Test fifties and still no ton.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will 100% get a point deducted for that (India have already had a deduction from their games vs Aus, and Sri Lanka are on -2 points because of it). These two teams might be arrogant enough to think it doesn't matter because they'll qualify anyway, but what if they don't? What then?
    I don't know much about cricket WC qualification. Is there any kind of real risk? Or is it going to come down to one team being eliminated out of, say, Scotland, Hong Kong, or Namibia?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top 8 of 13 qualify over 24 games - so the top, top, top teams should manage it, but the likes of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies are under threat of dropping into the pre qualifier. West Indies suffered that fate last time and only some outrageous bent umpiring stopped them from being knocked out by Scotland.

The pre qualifier has the bottom 5 and then a few more, playing for 2 spots.

It does make your random ODIs more exciting (if you're paying attention, which I'm not convinced even some teams are) - for example the currently onging game between NZ and Bangladesh would normally be a dead rubber as NZ lead the three-match series 2-0, but if Bangladesh can nick this one back it could be crucial for them later on in the standings.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 25-03-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I must have heard Buttler speaking before but he doesn't have the voice of some leader of men / locker room legend that he apparently is in the England setup.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He always sounds like a supply teacher to me, or someone from one of those 80s teaching videos we still used to get shown at school in the early 2000s. 'Greenhouse gases are bad for the environment - we need to stop releasing CFCs into the atmosphere *basic electronic musical motif*'

In my spiel above about the World Cup qualifying I somehow forgot that we managed to drop one of our three games to Ireland, as well as two to Australia, so if we lose this one 3-0 as well we'd be having some catching up to do. That said we have 'easier' series to come including a three-match humdinger away to the Netherlands; what, I hear you ask, could possibly go wrong?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So they just showed an "Innings so far" recap at the first drinks break. It's something small and ultimately not very important, but it's funny to see the host broadcaster show every boundary from the opening 16 overs apart from the two streaky edges for 4. They can't have anything showing their batsmen in a bad light, can they?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think about the Dutch cricket team, I think about the Daily Mash article on it.

Dutch to invent word for ‘cricket’
    AFTER their surprise victory against England, the Dutch have admitted they had better invent a word for cricket if they are going to play it for a second time.