User Tag List

Page 103 of 256 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,150 of 12791

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be which captain can throw the bat the furthest, with that bat then having to be used, I dunno, by the entire team.

A perceptive way to combat modern big-bat theory.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound relevant to families. Needs to be a cereal-eating contest.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bats could be made of "weet-bix".

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just do rock paper scissors

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/46511774

If there was ever anything that summed up why cricket boards don't have a clue what they're doing, that right there is it.
    Every quote in that article is entirely baffling to me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just across from the Gabba at the moment and apart from 1 BBL billboard there isnt any cricket advertising anywhere.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the outside, it appears that that ball tampering business has completely broken Aus cricket and the culture that surrounds it. It's like they don't know what to do anymore.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That media bit with that dieing kid was rough as guts.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/arch...ger/2018-12-03

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the outside, it appears that that ball tampering business has completely broken Aus cricket and the culture that surrounds it. It's like they don't know what to do anymore.
    Let's be honest - we were completely dependent on Smith with the bat, and to a lesser extent Warner.

The real crisis is that none of our top order know which end of the bat to hold. Everything else is just beatup and scapegoating. The board have been idiots for ages - we've mostly just worked around that.

The sour truth is that Finch and Marsh are basically walking wickets, Harris and Head are inexperienced (which buys them time, but doesn't put runs on the board), Hanscomb got dropped and hasn't particularly shone since, and Khawaja fires maybe one time in four or five. And that's basically it, because Paine has never been much of a batsman.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tubby and Hussy coming out and criticising Kohli for his onfield behaviour is just another example of how broken our psyche is atm. Can they stop preaching about this imaginary line for sportsmanship it is so bloody sad.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Kohli's on field behaviour. He's not a whiny bitch with a crap mythology to uphold, he just gives it to you straight, and he backs it up by being the best player in the world.

This was class: https://youtu.be/9joX_KOtv0M?t=52

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is day and night between that and Davey Warner spewing vile personal abuse to a batsman.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitch Marsh getting booed by the MCG is harsh but funny.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its shocking they are picking him though to be fair.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitchell Marsh is the worst pick in international cricket currently, and you should see some of the shit that Pakistan get up to in that department. I think two thirds of their top three for the current Test match in SA are there because their fathers/uncles have important jobs. Which is basically why the Marsh bros are there too, it must be said.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 27-12-2018 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah he has no business playing Test cricket. Gets me excited thinking about what Davey Warner might recieve.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bancroft getting booed in every capital city is going to be hilarious.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While he was obviously leaned on by senior players fucking lol at him saying he just wanted to belong and "didn't know any better." Get the fuck out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole thing is utterly absurd. Warner might be a twat but them all chucking him under the bus is an absolute liberty. Saying the bowlers didn't know about it is a total and obvious lie, as is the pretence that Lehmann didn't know what was going on (I'm almost certain he orchestrated it, but the 92-07 Australian players are all exempt from national criticism, much like United's 'Class of 92'). Australian cricket is completely culturally broken and it's a glorious watch.

We will win the Ashes 4-1 or similar next summer and they will go out of the World Cup in about 9th place.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warner's national tour of abuse will be the best thing to happen to our cricket culture for quite sometime.

Edit: Boof is obviously the biggest coward in all of this I have no doubt in my mind he pulled all the strings then ducked out the side door for Smith to carry the weight.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 30-12-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davey will have the IPL as his first thing back won't he? Much as I'd love him to have things thrown at him by 90,000 raging Bengalis at Eden Gardens, I think their approach to moral rectitude over there is probably rather more sanguine.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah true.

It is so strange to me that sucker punching Joe Root isnt Warners career low point.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I cant help but be cynical about Cricket Australia dragging around that sick kid all summer in a desperate rebranding attempt.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything they are doing at the moment stinks of desperate rebranding, from the channel change (although nothing could be worse than Nine's cricket after Benaud and Greig died) to the nonsense with the stump mics, to the sick kid in whites, to the cringeworthy interviews.

They actually have some real players in the 18-21 age bracket so they will come again, but it'll be long and painful.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont understand how they think their 1950's rebranding could possibly work in 2019? The interviews have made the blokes.in the pub even more angry. They want their cunts to be mean cunts not throwing each other under the bus while telling half truths.

So they are turning off the bogans and they are turning off normal well balanced human beings as well.

I dont follow cricket deep enough to know about our up and comers. My sports autism is 100% dialled in on Rugby.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 31-12-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably because like every sports board across the world they are trying to market themselves to mums (I have literally sat in an ECB presentation listening to how mums are the most important people to market the sport to... come on guys) and not the blokes in the pub, or the kids, or anyone else who will actually be keeping the sport going in the next 20 years.

Ball tampering was their worst nightmare because it gets bad PR on the front pages where the mums are looking. Everything since then has been a series of desperate attempts to claw back.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably because like every sports board across the world they are trying to market themselves to mums (I have literally sat in an ECB presentation listening to how mums are the most important people to market the sport to... come on guys) and not the blokes in the pub, or the kids, or anyone else who will actually be keeping the sport going in the next 20 years.

Ball tampering was their worst nightmare because it gets bad PR on the front pages where the mums are looking. Everything since then has been a series of desperate attempts to claw back.
    The ruthless unapologetic aggression has definitely been exposed. Ironically I think the rapid rise of female cricket in this country will help us in the long term. Especially if we get some sensible women in the CA questioning some of these stupid decisions being made.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ellyse Perry and Alyssa Healy should be household names in Australia, world dominant players, I bet they aren't though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ellyse Perry is gettting there and Healy isnt too far behind . Perry is the most talented sportsmen in Australia as she is a capped Footballer as well the freak.

But their popularity is due to 20/20.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 31-12-2018 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has female cricket become more mainstrean in England? @jimmyfloyd?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has female cricket become more mainstrean in England? @Jimmy Floyd?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit more, certainly relative to men's cricket, but all women's team sports are nowhere in the grand scheme of things. Also in Aus the playing field for sport is much more level, whereas here Premier League football absolutely devours everything else and you can't ever hope to compete with its raw marketing power, so every other sport is pitching in the niches and margins.

Oddly the only thing other than football that still hits national conversation level is Wimbledon tennis, for its 2 weeks in June, which is ironic because British tennis is the most disgustingly run load of shite in the world - but it's the only event that hasn't yet sold itself to pay TV.

I've been trying to put some girls and women's programmes in at local level, and we've seen a bit of growth but it's really bloody hard to do. The main barrier I've found is that unlike men, the mass of women in general aren't interested in sporting competition, it just doesn't get them going on a basic level. Fitness and physical activity they will do, but competitive sport tends to turn them off. It's only the 10-15% of super competitive women that are interested and you have to compete for them with all the other sports.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think getting them used to it in primary school has really helped down here. Female cricket is non existent at grade level they have definitely used the momentum of 20/20 to increase numbers.

It has all sort of happened within 10 years in Australia with the NRL to be the last lot to run a womens competition.

Popularity wise I think sevens and Cricket will continue to grow and grow and definitely worry the Netball lot.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 01-01-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ellyse Perry and Alyssa Healy should be household names in Australia, world dominant players, I bet they aren't though.
    They kind of are, to be honest. Ellyse Perry for sure, and Alyssa Healy more so in the last year. Perry may arguably be one of Australia's most popular sportspeople in general.

Sam Kerr (the footballer) is also quite deservedly a household name in Australia too. The women's cricket and football teams are getting quite a bit of traction.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as the mainstream Australian media (almost) exclusively cover Australian sporting success (if they lose at something it simply doesn't register as having happened) then I'm sure the female sports folk will be getting ample coverage whilst the are doing well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think there's been a push to bring womens' sport to more prominence, although I'm not sure who kicked it off.

The WAFL and the netball have both gotten substantially more coverage in the last few years than I can ever remember before. It'll be interesting to see if the WNRL follows suit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pujara was a rock. Basically chanceless.

It looks like we bowled poorly, and we weren't great, but I've seen us bowl worse. The pitch wasn't giving us much, and we did manage a few threatening spells where the batsmen had to battle and shut up shop for a bit. Starc had a rough day. Still, at least we can rely on our world class batting to save...

Yup, we're cooked.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    204 runs for the 7th wicket in 37 overs, how soul-destroying if you're a bowler.

Australia will be lucky to avert an innings defeat from here.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, at a glance, what's the deal with Labuschagne batting at 3 for Australia? Isn't he some sort of (shite) all-rounder?

Or is he the new Steve Smith? He did, after all, once fit that description.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't have a clue what they're doing. In fairness, the cupboard is almost bare. The highest Australian FC run scorer currently active is I think Cosgrove.

They need to go Renshaw or Maxwell. Opposite ends of the spectrum but each with a fierce talent.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could he think this is a good idea?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't have a clue what they're doing. In fairness, the cupboard is almost bare. The highest Australian FC run scorer currently active is I think Cosgrove.

They need to go Renshaw or Maxwell. Opposite ends of the spectrum but each with a fierce talent.
    Renshaw needs the Hayden treatment. Give him 2 summers and everything inbetween to gain confidence.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    How could he think this is a good idea?

Bizarre.

Can't wait for us to face India later this month. Both teams at the top of their games at the moment.

Also, $NZD52 to attend a 20/20 with Sri Lanka is going to be the biggest waste of money I'll spend in 2019, but it's the only Eden Park game. What a farce.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    Bizarre.

Can't wait for us to face India later this month. Both teams at the top of their games at the moment.

Also, $NZD52 to attend a 20/20 with Sri Lanka is going to be the biggest waste of money I'll spend in 2019, but it's the only Eden Park game. What a farce.
    New Zealand is a team that will be better value against India that is for sure. I want us to play the Black Caps in a home and away Test series.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka are really, like, REALLY struggling for star power at the moment. Probably because they can't get anyone in the T20 leagues for love nor money. Afghans with dodgy birth certificates have flown past them.

(Rashid Khan is not even within 8 years of what he says he is).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus, we're 2nd in the Test rankings. Have NZ ever been as high as 3rd?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brisbane Heat have an Afghan bloke that we should steal
    Last edited by Queenslander; 10-01-2019 at 09:13 AM.