User Tag List

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never managed to properly get into The Elder Scrolls games, they just feel lifeless and extremely repetitive to me. Fallout I enjoy much more, although Fallout 2 is still the one that I have enjoyed the most.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Skyrim, but I found Oblivion (which admittedly I tried after Skyrim) to be piss poor.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I agree with or at least appreciate it. Let's not be using words like"unreal." That level of game isn't going to come for a good while now, Oculus-type stuff aside, perhaps.
    Point taken.

Bear in mind that the last console I played was the N64 though, so you'll have to forgive the excitement.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think DS' contempt for the Bethesda games are the same as my issues but I find them easy to ignore so I'll just list a few of mine off;

Combat is tedious and has been for years, eventually you get good enough to mow everyone down (outside of Oblivion) and it goes from a chore to a bore.

There seems to be a lot of depth and then you realise that about 500 of the 550 characters share exactly the same script

The progression isn't that fun.

Lots of fetch quests.

The stories are always crap, the fun is from creating your own.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I loved Skyrim, but I found Oblivion (which admittedly I tried after Skyrim) to be piss poor.
    Yeah that's just not a fair comparison. Skyrim is literally Oblivion 2.0 with nearly 7 years of dev time between them. It's like critiquing Call of Duty 2 (a masterpiece) for not being Call of Duty 4.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dislike of Bethesda mainly stems from the fact the potential is there, its just filled with shite. The combat is laughably bad, I know quite a few don't mind it but it feels weightless and dull. The worlds they create feel hollow and bland after about ten hours in them, the script/NPC interaction is awful, animation is lol, the lore is tedious. I don't feel like I'm anything in the world really, despite them trying to implement aspects to make you seem so (conversations about you, fleeting NPC chat about you, guards going after you etc).

I just find it a huge shame as I'm a sucker for open world RPGs. The Witcher 3 devoured me, I put in roughly 220 hours. Dark/Demon Souls and the sequels are some of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. The Bethesda efforts just have too much that doesn't work for me. Build a new, proper engine, hire new animation artists, learn how to combat, adapt and learn. Since Oblivion everything has been near identikit, switch fantasy for wasteland for the Fallout games, which are just TES with guns essentially. I've bought Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and NV, and given each at least 20 hours. I want to love them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In stark contrast to the two above, this is enough to have me consider buying something to play it on.

Before I go down the console route, is there a PC-building thread on here yet and/or should I actually believe the PC-bores who wank on about being able to get something far better thana console at similar cost?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably worth getting an Alienware Alpha if you can't be bothered with us wanking on at you.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, give me a minute and I'll bore you with some free advice that could save you money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who offer advice to somebody genuinely interested are wonderful. I was referring to the "master race" sort of arseholes who get viscerally offended at the mere suggestions somebody might own an Xbox.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Yeah that's just not a fair comparison. Skyrim is literally Oblivion 2.0 with nearly 7 years of dev time between them. It's like critiquing Call of Duty 2 (a masterpiece) for not being Call of Duty 4.
    While that would be a fair comment, I played CoD2 after CoD4 and enjoyed it.

Oblivion's just a bad game.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    People who offer advice to somebody genuinely interested are wonderful. I was referring to the "master race" sort of arseholes who get viscerally offended at the mere suggestions somebody might own an Xbox.
    If you want to be playing it come Tuesday in a perfectly serviceable fashion, with minimum hassle, just buy a PS4 or an XB1. I've got the latter, but most people (probably rightly) claim the former is the one to go for this time.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could equally buy a pre-built pc (like I did this time) and have it in the same time frame. As with everything it depends what you want to do with it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While that would be a fair comment, I played CoD2 after CoD4 and enjoyed it.

Oblivion's just a bad game.
    It's the game that exposed their strategy, it's simplicity was very obviously on show and it really hasn't aged well.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the strategy that was exposed?

When most other games companies are churning out the same shit year after year, with a different fascia, I'm not sure I get this charge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may just be nostalgia in action but Morrowind seemed to have a far bigger and more varied world than Oblivion, and possibly even Skyrim. I had a great save on that until I did some mission where a molerat sort of thing followed me around and it glitched the fuck out when I attempted to cross some narrow bridge.

As for the query above, I'm not itching to buy it on release, so I probably will look in to a budget PC effort. I could get other uses out of that, whereas a console would end up ignored after a few months.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's so much filler to Bethesda and they wear the hour count like a badge of honour. Skyrim's miscellaneous quest log was just meaningless tedium. Plus there's the whole hero thing that gets sidetracked by having to do other people's dishes or whatever. That's not just a Bethesda problem but you can at least try to contextualise it. Fallout gets a pass kinda as you're just 'The Wastelander'. Any hero shit can be seen as incidental.

Tighten up. Make the time matter instead of, "Well, the Dark Brotherhood questline was aweesomekmeofjkdjklhdfjkldf!"

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Plus there's the whole hero thing that gets sidetracked by having to do other people's dishes or whatever. That's not just a Bethesda problem but you can at least try to contextualise it.
    That's a problem in every open world game ever and none of them contextualise it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Shinners, as a reviewer, are you already playing this?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, someone else is covering it. We're not on Bethesda's radar but one of us has the PipBoy edition or something daft.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm clearly in a small camp that loves Bethesda games. In fact for me, Mass Effect 1,2,3 is the only RPG I've enjoyed more than Skyrim and Bioware and Rockstar the only developers whose games I anticipate more.

On a side on, Mass Effect Andromeda omg omg omg

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skyrim sold 20 million copies, so I'd hardly call it a small camp.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant in this thread.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, I don't really get the criticisms leveled at them either.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's downloading!!!

I'm very much hyped and excited for this! Had a Abuja Cola phone wallpaper for yonks!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got an email from amazon, its been dispatched!

If it comes on Monday..

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the strategy that was exposed?

When most other games companies are churning out the same shit year after year, with a different fascia, I'm not sure I get this charge.
    The strategy of moving their IP's away from system and writing driven games into action oriented ones. Understandable as it's a much wider market and it's easier to develop large fully authored areas but for those of us who played and enjoyed early Fallouts or Daggerfall and Morrowind the sense of an opportunity missed is very real.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was my first attempt at putting together a PC build even close to PS4 price: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Rks9Mp

I've been laughing at a few articles claiming they'll get a build comparable to it, only to pick out all these cheap components, say "narrow advantage PS4" on virtually every one, and still come in over budget.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if you're solely going to play games, then maybe a console is the solution.

A PC does a whole lot more than gaming though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you've got all the peripherals sorted as well? Monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, speakers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought I'd give it a go because I'd seen so many people claim you can get a superior build at a comparable price. It appears to either be bullshit or based on significantly lower prices in the US.

I'd be planning to link it to my TV, so would need everything but a monitor and speakers. Which would include a suitable OS, so the total price is more like £400, and I'm not even sure what I've put together there would meet the minimum recommended spec for this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll just dig out my old N64 instead. I never did complete Majora's Mask.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just splurged on the digital edition with season pass. £75, but fuck it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unlikely you wouldn't have got it all separately anyway

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is true.

I've been pissing around with that character creator thing again and I really can't decide on a starting build.

Perversely it was easier to do so when you knew you couldn't max out a character.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you can max out Special/Perks in this? Intriguing.

I like the INT perks so I'll be focussing on that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's no level cap and you can choose to put a 'perk point' into any of your SPECIAL attributes or a perk level each time you level up.

It'll take reaching level 270, or something nuts like that to get 10 in all SPECIALS and level up all perks mind.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's awesome. I'm not really bothered about getting them all, but being able to pick up enough of things like strength etc. is very cool.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love playing as a low intelligence character, but the INT perks out way it on the first play through.

If you haven't done that before please do, the way NPC's treat you is brilliant, they pity your stupidity.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many of the INT perks took my fancy (and I don't care about extra XP since I'll be playing the game for hundreds of hours anyway), so mine might be quite low this time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be going balls-deep in whatever the various intelligence and conversation stuff was if I was confident it'd make a difference. I'm trying to think of any RPG that made those as worthwhile as Planescape: Torment did, to be fair.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the hacking side of things (and I'm a sucker for hunting weapon upgrade shizzle), so that's why I'm keen.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been through the perks I think I can manage with this being the SPECIAL stats I end up with, or at least work towards in the first instance.

Strength 6
    Perception 5
    Endurance 3
    Charisma 6
    Intelligence 5
    Agility 10
    Luck 10

Which would take to level 18 to reach, 11 with Bobbleheads (if I can find them) but that would also mean not taking any perks to that point, which will probably be suicide on Survival difficulty.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tesco are giving me blue balls by telling me it's been dispatched today and that delivery is from today onwards

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviews are dropping like, well, nuclear bombs...

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to denote what DS is talking about with how crappy their animations are. See this GIF of a salesman attaching a clipboard to his arm as they've clearly copy pasted a Skyrim bip (skeleton/animation frames) onto him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you mean, that will definitely ruin the game for me.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what I said.

People get awfully touchy when you dare mention that these games have issues, don't they?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    List of games without issues:

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well gents, thanks to a big meeting at work away from home tomorrow this will be it from me until I get back at between 16:00 and 17:00 tomorrow.

For the lucky buggers among you that get to play it in 7 and a half hours, enjoy.