User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Finances

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent today calculating my pension. I don't like those numbers but that's why I have three ISAs. Soon to be four.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all goes tits up in a few weeks time I should be able to cash out about £20K worth of shares. That's a pleasant surprise. Shame the share price is toilet.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried stuff such as Crowdcube? How much of a scam is it?

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Tesco have absolutely crucified the clubcard points you can gain, and now they've stopped the clubcard boost, so I'm going to cancel mine ASAP.

I spend about 20k a year on the credit card so I'll surely be able to get a good deal. AMEX have some pretty tasty cashback offers on at the moment.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anywhere take an AMEX any more?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never knew there were issues?

What about Nectar points? There's a Sainsburys near me and it's great, the credit card boosts the points you earn.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick questions about loans, chaps. My bank have sent me a leaflet about a deal on personal loans with my new card and it sounds like a really good offer but I want to check there's nothing I'm missing.

I'll use the example they've given:
    Representative APR: 3.9%
    Interest rate: 3.9% fixed
    £7,500 over five years would be £138 a month and total £8,253 by the time I've paid it back.

Now I have done some Googling to fill the gaps in my knowledge but thought I might as well ask you lot as well to cover all bases.

Google tells me the 'representative' bit means that just over half of successful applicants will get that rate and the rest may get something different. How much is this likely to vary? I assume it'll depend on the bank and what they think of my finances if I apply.

The information on the two bits of paper they've sent me about it make it SEEM incredibly straightforward but I've never had a loan of this sort before so feel I'm safer asking whether there are any hidden nasties I should be looking out for?

I'm not too worried about the extra I'd have to pay back because if I get it I can use the extra money in my account to make the most of the double-share scheme I get through work.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you want a loan for?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reducing my mortgage by 150 a month and 5 years. Pretty sweet.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My variable ISA's going down to a 'why bother?' rate of 1.1% I need to shift that before July is out.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Quick questions about loans, chaps. My bank have sent me a leaflet about a deal on personal loans with my new card and it sounds like a really good offer but I want to check there's nothing I'm missing.

£7,500 over five years would be £138 a month and total £8,253 by the time I've paid it back.

Now I have done some Googling to fill the gaps in my knowledge but thought I might as well ask you lot as well to cover all bases.

Google tells me the 'representative' bit means that just over half of successful applicants will get that rate and the rest may get something different. How much is this likely to vary? I assume it'll depend on the bank and what they think of my finances if I apply.

The information on the two bits of paper they've sent me about it make it SEEM incredibly straightforward but I've never had a loan of this sort before so feel I'm safer asking whether there are any hidden nasties I should be looking out for?

I'm not too worried about the extra I'd have to pay back because if I get it I can use the extra money in my account to make the most of the double-share scheme I get through work.
    You've already answered it really - all depends on the banks credit policies.

You'll have the rate confirmed before you're signed up though, so what's the bother?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

You'll have the rate confirmed before you're signed up though, so what's the bother?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    What do you want a loan for?
    Paying off some other stuff which has much higher APR, primarily. If they'll give me enough I may also use it to get myself a car assuming there's nothing I've not thought of because all the car finance stuff is a higher rate than that and I don't have the savings to just buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything beyond the rate. It's probably that I'm assuming this sort of thing must be more complex than it actually is.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my first ever credit card today, aged 27.

One of my share schemes also matured. By matured, I mean it was completely pointless as the share price was lower than I needed it to be so instead of a successful financial investment I've effectively saved £250/month for the last couple of years.

Anyone have shares and ever look at their dividends? I've got SFA shares yet my dividends for the last quarter were nearly £200.

Shame my mortgage is crippling.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the Lifetime ISA next year as I can't take advantage of the Help to Buy one. It doesn't have the FTB restriction but has the same 25% bonus

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is such a poor person thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do alright. Spend slightly less than we earn. No real savings. No real debt. Can't complain.

leedsrevolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    This is such a poor person thread
    Sorry we don't have a rich mummy and daddy you Turkish wanker.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm winding up my company as I'm turning permanent so that should be a nice windfall (CGT and entrepreneur tax of 10%). From there, I've got no idea where to place the cash as I've opened a help to buy ISA already this year.

I might stick them all into shares but not decided on who or what.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget it, Kiko. Mert's already placed us on the poor heap. No use trying to better ourselves.

Unless we settle this shit with some hoops.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    Sorry we don't have a rich mummy and daddy you Turkish wanker.
    You can have a low net worth and not act like a poor person. Talking about money and subtly dick measuring is poor people shit.

(No offense Foe )

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Americans loved talking about money?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. It's rude to talk about your income for example and I think people in the upper middle class and above are taught that it's not very polite to talk about money in general. Certainly I don't talk much about my family's income unless I need to.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a number in a spreadsheet at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving is so fucking expensive.

This week I paid out £200 to show we're 'serious' about the house we're buying, to be refunded on completion. Fucking Estate Agents.

£350 for some twat to tell the mortage company the house is worth the money.

£400 for Solicitors (will cost £4000 in total)

The fees to be added on at the end are disgusting n'all. Not doing this again.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I thought Americans loved talking about money?
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Not really. It's rude to talk about your income for example and I think people in the upper middle class and above are taught that it's not very polite to talk about money in general. Certainly I don't talk much about my family's income unless I need to.
    It's also frowned upon / unusual to openly flaunt your wealth unlike in Europe / 3rd world countries where every day is a fashion show. Most of the richest kids I knew at Duke would wear (very expensive but worn) sweat pants to class paired with a ragged (but expensive) fleece, would almost never post on social media showcasing their material wealth, etc. It's a sign of not having anything to prove; your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator.

Obviously there are exceptions.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about within the context of a small community where financial advice may prove beneficial? Or at least provide an opportunity to vent?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Moving is so fucking expensive.

This week I paid out £200 to show we're 'serious' about the house we're buying, to be refunded on completion. Fucking Estate Agents.

£350 for some twat to tell the mortage company the house is worth the money.

£400 for Solicitors (will cost £4000 in total)

Stamp duty is the real killer. Expensive as shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Stamp duty is the real killer. Expensive as shit.
    It's a joke. Just money grabbing from all angles. By my calculations we'll be paying £6000 just in 'costs' and taxes.

Not ideal when my wife is on Maternity leave and her wage is due to drop down statutory next month.

The equity from our current flat will deal with alot of it, but it still grates.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a joke. Just money grabbing from all angles. By my calculations we'll be paying £6000 just in 'costs' and taxes.

Not ideal when my wife is on Maternity leave and her wage is due to drop down statutory next month.

The equity from our current flat will deal with alot of it, but it still grates.
    Congratulations bud!

Yeah agree - when I bought my gaff I saved a lot of fees by having a family member do the transaction. It's a real deterrent of moving again though.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be awful, lads. Sorry for your loss.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    It's also frowned upon / unusual to openly flaunt your wealth unlike in Europe / 3rd world countries where every day is a fashion show. Most of the richest kids I knew at Duke would wear (very expensive but worn) sweat pants to class paired with a ragged (but expensive) fleece, would almost never post on social media showcasing their material wealth, etc. It's a sign of not having anything to prove; your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator.
    And here I was thinking frat bros wear sweat pants and tank tops every day because they are a bunch of dirty slobs. Showing my third-worldness there.

Do they drive gigantic SUVs and/or BMWs for the same reason?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's cool if it is a 'very expensive but dirty' car amirite?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    And here I was thinking frat bros wear sweat pants and tank tops every day because they are a bunch of dirty slobs. Showing my third-worldness there.

Do they drive gigantic SUVs and/or BMWs for the same reason?
    I guess it's cool if it is a 'very expensive but dirty' car amirite?
    Yep. It's all about the casual taken for granted wealth (except it's not thought of in those terms, it's not thought of at all).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's all about making sure everyone knows you're wealthy, but pretending you don't care.

If 'your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator,' why are the 'very expensive sweat pants' and 'ragged but expensive fleece' () necessary? Do Walmart sweat pants block your inner emanation?

I guess what I'm asking is: Where should I buy my sweatpants? I want to look rich but also look like I'm not trying too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move to England and shop at Debenhams.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not buying a country home, mate? Bloody poverty thread, this.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the move pinhead. Most stressful shit you can do. Far worse than childbirth.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Reducing my mortgage by 150 a month and 5 years. Pretty sweet.
    So, despite spending over £13,000 and also really sorting out all the shit that was wrong with the house...it's been valued at...exactly the same as it was 2 years ago. Fucking absolute corrupt dogshit. Fucking wankers. It's a racket, I tell thee.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only got £60k in equity. South East living, Yo.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great so I re-mortgaged saving £150 a month, what they didn't tell me is the first payment is A FUCKING GRAND.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slapped £5,000 on a fixed-rate 5-year bond at 2.20% I'm not sure I trust India with my money but these are strange times.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Great so I re-mortgaged saving £150 a month, what they didn't tell me is the first payment is A FUCKING GRAND.
    Further to this my existing mortgage provider has just taken out a full month's payment because the solicitors or whoever didn't clear the direct debit in time. It will be refunded but in a few weeks. Just waiting for that grand to disappear now for exceptional levels of lol.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's all about making sure everyone knows you're wealthy, but pretending you don't care.

If 'your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator,' why are the 'very expensive sweat pants' and 'ragged but expensive fleece' () necessary? Do Walmart sweat pants block your inner emanation?

I guess what I'm asking is: Where should I buy my sweatpants? I want to look rich but also look like I'm not trying too.
    But you're not pretending. You don't care / think of it like that, it's just the clothes you own.

Just put on the sweat pants you bought from your boarding school's store because you were too lazy to do the laundry.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Slapped £5,000 on a fixed-rate 5-year bond at 2.20% I'm not sure I trust India with my money but these are strange times.
    Looks like it didn't go through. Don't fucking put in a "How much do you want to invest?" section on your form, complete with bank details and then ask me to electronically fund it manually in the confirmation email. Don't bank Indian.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got any tips / tricks for shares / bonds?

I've been doing some reading into it and there's a lot more too it than I'd really anticipated - starting with picking a platform to use. Tempted by IG stocks and shares ISA.

Anyone here wheel and deal stocks and shares?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stick it in a low cost market tracker fund. Not that many actively managed funds can outperform the market so you're not going to be able to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't beat the market is as good a dictum to live by as any, I would suggest.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds quite boring though. Surely half the fun would be throwing £500-1000 at a particular company and embracing the roller coaster?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All those oil engineering firms dropping like flies round this way.

The arsehole is falling out of Aberdeen. There goes 70k for being a cleaner on a rig. Shower of thick cunts.

Shouldn't you be saving Foebia?