Page 32 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 7425

Thread: Film Thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The fourth wall breaks and jokes about the studio all fell completely flat for me. There were plenty of good jokes and the action was all well put together, but by about halfway through I was groaning inwardly every time he turned to the camera. Someone ought to have taken all writing implements away from whoever came up with the 'that's a big house' joke.
    That's the whole point of Deadpool though, he's there to generally take the piss out of the superhero franchise. If anything, it ('fourth wall breaking') was the highlight that separates it from all the guff out there.
    Test.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vim View Post
    I kind of enjoyed watching BvS but it was not well made at all. Bat-Affleck was actually good, but Superman and the emotionless pectoral muscles that portray him are absolute shite.

Basically I liked the parts where Batman was doing Batman stuff, and even Wonder Woman was watchable, but half the film is Lois fucking Lane walking about, and not even Jesse Eisenberg could save Lex Luthor from the ridiculous script he was given.
    That about covers it, except I didn't particularly enjoy watching it. The last half hour was alright when all the shite was getting blown up; but fucking hell the rest of it. It was so serious as well. Jesus. It's a superhero film, lads.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love a superhero film but it's a proper steaming heap of turd.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be that asshole, but: did any of you really expect anything different? The more people that go see these films, regardless of how well they like it, the more they'll get made.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all accounts it's a genuine disgrace. Not a Captain America, 'well that was a bit crap but the things blew up good' sort of mess. A real 'was there no oversight, how did this film get released in this state' clusterfuck.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It always looked like it was going to be a total shambles from the very first trailer. Suicide Squad will be equally abysmal.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DC want to ape Marvel's success and they want it NOW, without the patience Marvel showed. Of course Marvel have also made good TV series which tie into their canon while DC have looked at their TV shows and realised they're not at all in keeping with the film they want to make.

Suicide Squad looks a bit pants too but at least like some of the people involved might have enjoyed making it. I think Cavill's Superman has been allowed to smile about three times in two films. It's all so GRITTY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of comic relief definitely hurts the movie. Not sure what they hoped to accomplish by making the movie so serious. Kids won't find it entertaining because of it and because Iron Man/Cap/Hulk are all brightly coloured whereas here it's all dark, and adults will presumably see through the shit film-making.

I'm also not excited about having some other guy playing the Flash after 2 years of watching the Flash TV show (which is really good, actually) with another actor. Like Ian said, DC don't seem to be tying their TV multi-verse into the movie universe at all.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point. It's not good enough to be DARK and SERIOUS like the Christopher Nolan films, and it isn't fun enough to cover all its holes, so in the end it just comes across as having tried far too hard.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A real 'was there no oversight, how did this film get released in this state' clusterfuck.
    Yet plenty of manchildren watching to make a fortune.

Not sure what they hoped to accomplish by making the movie so serious. Kids won't find it entertaining because of it and because Iron Man/Cap/Hulk are all brightly coloured whereas here it's all dark, and adults will presumably see through the shit film-making.
    After they paid for their ticket.

Thirty year old kids are better business than ten year old kids, what with them having more money (except Boydy.) That's why superhero movies are GRITTY as opposed to fun now. I guess.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batman v Superman is pretty mediocre, but its failures are different from those in the Marvel universe. Too dour, a plot that makes no sense whatsoever, but some nice worldbuilding and Eisenberg as Luthor is good (am I the only one who thinks that?)

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler
    Test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    After they paid for their ticket.

Thirty year old kids are better business than ten year old kids, what with them having more money (except Boydy.) That's why superhero movies are GRITTY as opposed to fun now. I guess.
    But thirty year old kids, after watching this shite, will probably wait for the pirated version of Suicide Squad etc. to come out instead of going to the cinema.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, they'll still pay for it and then bitch about it. I mean, did anyone expect 'Batman vs Superman' to be anything other than complete trash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Batman vs Superman is total crap. It's main problem, aside from plot, script and editing, was that is that it shouldn't exist yet. I couldn't give a monkeys about this Batman or Superman so them battering the fuck out of each other has no emotional weight. Throw in the worst version of Lex Luthor this planet's ever seen, a shoehorned in Doomsday, a ridiculously long running time and Henry Cavill's Man of Cardboard and you've got a stinker.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Nah, they'll still pay for it and then bitch about it. I mean, did anyone expect 'Batman vs Superman' to be anything other than complete trash?
    X men
    X men 2
    Spider-Man 2
    Batman Begins and the second one

Outside of that, they're all a bit shit.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the best of the lot.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis is correct. You could, to an extent, take out the super powers, rejig a couple of things slightly and still have yourself a solid, slightly futuristic action thriller-y thing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched 'The Babadook' which was alright, except the kid was more annoying than scary. Needs a dig in the ribs irl tbh imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter Soldier is the best of the MCU movies, the first Iron Man and Avengers are also great. Guardians too, though the villain was shite.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ant Man, while not an all-time great film, was enjoyably watchable. Probably because the stakes mostly felt really low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was positively surprised by Ant-Man, mainly because I genuinely couldn't even imagine a superhero called Ant-Man not being completely lame. Shame about the villain just being an evil guy in another shrink suit. It was basically the same thing as Iron Man, who always seems to be fighting against other suits of armor.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched Ant-Man yesterday, and I guess all of the people calling it a positive surprise raised my expectations too much. The first half was absolutely terrible. Hardly any of the jokes worked, and it couldn't decide whether it takes itself seriously or not (and it mostly does). When they stop doing that in the second half and just get a bit silly with it, it's a lot better.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was positively surprised by Ant-Man, mainly because I genuinely couldn't even imagine a superhero called Ant-Man not being completely lame. Shame about the villain just being an evil guy in another shrink suit. It was basically the same thing as Iron Man, who always seems to be fighting against other suits of armor.
    This goes for many superheroes. It's annoying once you notice it. Arrow this year is interesting on that front though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Flash is the worst for that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Flash is the worst for that.
    Yes, that's its major flaw.

Mix it up lads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Flash is speedster after speedster after speedster, it does get kind of boring when "run faster" is really the only thing he can do to prepare for fighting the villain.

The show itself is still miles better than Arrow in the last two seasons. This season of Arrow has me close to stop watching it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superheros are shit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the Big Short last night and it did quite a good job of explaining a complex and relatively dry subject. Steve Carrel was great throughout. Amazing to think the whole jenga house has been rebuilt and we're doing it all again.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zootropolis. /

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been on a bit of a space-movie binge recently.

First off, The Martian. Very enjoyable, and quite different from most space movies in that it maintains this sort of easy-going/we-can-do-this vibe throughout its running time. The dialogues/monologues are full of jokes, and nobody seems to dwell on problems or despair at the odds of achieving unlikely things. On the one hand it is refreshing because many space movies tend to rely on characters that are not only fallible, but completely inept (hi, Prometheus). On the other hand it removes a bit of conflict and tension because every pickle they get into seems so completely solvable. But that's more a slight problem than a major flaw, because the how of the problem-solving and the characters on screen stay interesting enough.

After that, Sunshine. This one was a re-watch and it remains one of those films that i can watch over and over again. The interplay between visuals and sound is just awe-inducing, even on my shoddy laptop screen and speakers.
    Toggle Spoiler
    Where The Martian focuses more on a realistic near-future scenario and man's/science's problem-solving skills, this one is far more philosophical, pondering man's position in the universe, the effects of isolation and the inter-personal dynamics on a space ship, all with strong religious undertones. I think it pulls all that off very well; the third act is notoriously hated on, and I do think it doesn't hold up to the parts before it, but nevertheless at its worst its still servicable, and visually still very good.

Lastly, yesterday I saw Interstellar for the first time. The last film of Nolan's before that was The Dark Knight Rises, which was all over the place, so I didn't expect very much. And it does have some glaring "Nolan problems", in that the main reason many of his characters have for existing is to deliver expository dialogue, making some conversations feel a bit odd and leaving the uncomfortable sensation that the film is being explained to you while you're watching it. The pacing's off in parts as well.
    Toggle Spoiler
    Overall, though, I was impressed by how an almost three-hour-long film kept me hooked for its whole running time. I think while it's a film that's interested in balancing out hard science with core human emotions and flaws (love vs. egoism, for example) and how that influences our identity and future survival, it mostly succeeds as one man's journey; as such it's very much dependent on McConaughey's acting chops, and he really delivers. The visuals are also spectacular in parts. I read a lengthy discussion on a film subreddit on how Nolan always plays it safe with cinematography and it's always either close-up or wide-angle cinematic shot, but I really liked it. The cameras mounted to the vehicles made the whole journey immersive, and some of the space scenes left me properly awestruck. The closest I was to being bored was the "docking" scene
    Toggle Spoiler
    Overall, a really good, but flawed movie. And it definitely made me want to watch Contact again. Also, TARS.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's Nolan doing next?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Room was fantastic as well, really hard hitting. I can imagine it's far worse in real life (Fritzl and that Mexican dude). Makes you think about it from the kid's perspective, rapist/kidnapper father etc.

Especially thinking back to the Fritzl shit and my attitudes towards the children (they're fucked etc). Devastating. A wonderful concept, and I bet the book is far, far more harrowing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    What's Nolan doing next?
    Dunkirk, about the evacuation of the soldiers there during World War II, out Summer 2017.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone seen 10 Cloverfield Lane or Eddie the Eagle?

Yes that is all that seems decent at the cinema tonight.

leedsrevolution
    10 clover field is good. Brilliant performance by John Goodman and the girl in it is well tasty.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen Cloverfield...does that matter?

leedsrevolution
    Not at all.

leedsrevolution
    I can sum it up for you in a sentence. Godzilla film, with a shakey camera.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it's on quite late (21:10) not sure if I can be arsed. Plus horror films seem to attract hordes of arrogant, rude, young Pakistani origin men.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mud was a bit meh. Which is a shame as I really like mcconachey.

leedsrevolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Hmm, it's on quite late (21:10) not sure if I can be arsed. Plus horror films seem to attract hordes of arrogant, rude, young Pakistani origin men.
    That is quite late. It's not a horror though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan Gosling as the lead.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batista throwing around powerbombs to replicants.

Brilliant.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harrison Ford is having a good time of it just reprising characters he made famous thirty odd years ago. That'll be Han Solo, Deckard, and Indiana Jones in the space of a couple of years.

I'm not seeing the sacrilege in that story. Ryan Gosling is a personality vacuum but that's about it. Batista can act, Robin Wright is brilliant, the script is being written by at least one of the original people and Harrison Ford reckons it's great. Largely good news. And the unwatchable Rutger Hauer won't be in it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is with making a sequel in itself. There's absolutely no call for one other than to cash-in. It can do nothing but undermine the ambiguity and the ending of the first movie.

EDIT: Ridley Scott is doing the same thing as Ford. He's probably lost his touch at this stage and is revisting his earlier successes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Room was fantastic as well, really hard hitting. I can imagine it's far worse in real life (Fritzl and that Mexican dude). Makes you think about it from the kid's perspective, rapist/kidnapper father etc.

Especially thinking back to the Fritzl shit and my attitudes towards the children (they're fucked etc). Devastating. A wonderful concept, and I bet the book is far, far more harrowing.
    Definitely. Really quite good although it lost me for a bit shit three quarters of the way in. I probably would have bludgeoned the kid to death when he shrieked at me as well.

The kid got better and better though and was the star by the end.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Definitely. Really quite good although it lost me for a bit shit three quarters of the way in. I probably would have bludgeoned the kid to death when he shrieked at me as well.

The kid got better and better though and was the star by the end.
    Aye. Was hoping he would be a sex slave too but no joy.