User Tag List

Page 110 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,500 of 7410

Thread: Film Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that excellent and accurate skewering of your accent?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why aye Manslaughtered.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them Irish accents don't sound that bad in a generic sense. I would have thought showing Ireland as Alan Partridge imagined it would raise more complaints.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cynic in me says Blunt being a ginger was to really show the audience she's playing someone Irish.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started a rewatch of the Pirates of the Caribbean films the other week. I'm up to the most recent one which I never watched as it got dogshit reviews.

Christ it's bad.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the last one the Javier Bardem one? It was indeed pretty shit.

They just got worse as they went along. I think I liked Dead Man's Chest a lot more than reviews at the time but At World's End was a state and it got worse from there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is.

The last two feel like dodgy parodies, especially this one. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is but the tone is just so weirdly off.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depp completely losing the ability to sound like Sparrow doesn't help.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah with each film Sparrow feels more and more like a parody of what he was in the first film. Both in writing and performance.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Them Irish accents don't sound that bad in a generic sense. I would have thought showing Ireland as Alan Partridge imagined it would raise more complaints.
    There’s no accent here that sounds like any of them. Plus, like all yank Irish films, it’s set in that generic time period between the 1800’s and now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Americans imagine Ireland to be is one of the cutest things in the world. I suppose they need to cling onto some aspect of their origin story that isn't to do with ethnic genocide.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is the last one the Javier Bardem one? It was indeed pretty shit.

They just got worse as they went along. I think I liked Dead Man's Chest a lot more than reviews at the time but At World's End was a state and it got worse from there.
    The only good thing about that film was Kaya Scodelario and her corset.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched The Meg. I wasn't expecting anything good per se, but I thought Statham vs. enormoshark would at least be fun and yet it was super, super dull.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ey @Dark Soldier (and anyone else) have you seen any of the Marian Dora films? I've got Cannibal and Melancholie der Engel lined up, after struggling to find Carcinoma anywhere.

Sounds like August Underground's Mordum on steroids; I'm excited.

EDIT: wow, randomly it seems https://tetrovideo.com/ have 100 copies of Carcinoma to sell, as of tomorrow. YES.
    Last edited by Baz; 15-11-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    I'm a twit

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck was I thinking buying into the Small Axe hype? Mangrove was at least an hour too long and bitterly dull. The next one seems to be about a relationship and music so might actually not be a waste of my time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone derserves better than that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post

What?
    That's got a very good cast and looks absolutely terrible. I also remember a number of the jokes from being in the original cartoons.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I also remember a number of the jokes from being in the original cartoons.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Snyder Cut looks like it could be gloriously worse than the original Justice League

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously.

Adding 2 hours to a horseshit film isn't going to magically make it good.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Justice League wasn't a promising film that just got mangled in the edit or something or rushed at the end. It was a boring premise badly executed.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're all looking for summat new to watch, Tenet just leaked.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively, have a good stare before you next flush.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had. It is utter fucking shit and drivel.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, same, that was an absolute mess of a movie. Competing with DKR for worst Nolan I've seen.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are 4K UHD Blu Rays worth the hype? I have seen stuff claiming so but are the margins just AV freaks wanking each other dry? I have a 4K player with my PS5 and an OLED tv so am intrigued about the notion they are superior to streaming 4k media but it's a fair whack to shell out per film.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok nearly at the end of Tenet. What a fucking headache this film is.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has no redeeming qualities bar Branagh

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    It has no redeeming qualities bar Branagh
    Have you seen the are releasing an unseen cut of A Serbian Film? You're the first person I remember ever mentioning it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Have you seen the are releasing an unseen cut of A Serbian Film? You're the first person I remember ever mentioning it.

There was already an uncut Nordic release, unless they're adding actual new stuff.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen a few recently, of varying qualities. Got something out of all of them though. In order of how not shit I thought they were:

50/50 (2011)

It was...alright. Cancer buddy movie. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets cancer, and his mate who works for the same Radio station, Seth Rogen, tries to cheer him up and shag birds and stuff. J G-L was pretty good, mostly looking sad, pensive, and rolling his eyes at S R's antics. I almost liked it, but Rogen really is a total irritant. Female characters were pretty awful misogynistic caricatures as well.

I feel like the (based on a real story, appaz) premise would have worked with a better director. If they gave it to Tom McCarthy or Alexander Payne, and replaced Rogen with literally anyone, I think it would have been great. Paradoxically, I think it would have actually been funnier if they hadn't actively tried to make it a bantzy buddie movie. Tone was all over the place.

5/10

Dead Poets Society (1989)

Hmmm. Very mixed feelings about this. Roger Ebert REALLY hated it, and reading his review afterwards was a bit like "ah yeah, that's why I didn't love it, good point" after each of his reasons for disliking it. I like it a lot more than he did though. I'm deffo a lot more forgiving of mawkish, transparently heart-string-pulling films like this (I am an unrepentant Shawshank apologist), but it was a bit much even for me. Again, leaning on Deadbert, the crux of his hatred for the film was that the big emotional setpieces were totally unearned in the rest of the film. I'd say...yes and no. I did actually really like characters and acting - the younguns playing the students were all really good, and I thought Robin Williams was brilliant. Ebert criticised him for falling into doing his schtick at times (his wacky impressions were like they'd come verbatim from his stand-up), but I didn't mind. Comic relief, ennit. And I did mostly care about them, and I felt sufficiently :') at the times I was supposed to.

HOWEVER, the bit where
    Toggle Spoiler
    was clearly meant to be the emotional climax of the film, and I was just a bit like u wot m8?

6.5/10

Sedmikrásky (1966)

Ah yes, another arty film that makes me feel like an uncultured div for not understanding what's going on. The opening scene made me want to throw my television out of the window. The two main characters were bending their limbs and it kept playing the sound effect of a creaking door. At this point I googled the film's name and read "this 1966 neo-dada..." and I was proper thinking OH FUCKING HELL. After that it was really fun though, and REALLY SHORT which is always a good thing. Sure, arty films are indulgent, but it's more indulgent to think some CGI exploding robot fest needs to be more than...well, about 90 minutes tbfh. Anywayz, I digress.

Yeah, really beautifully shot, the two main actresses are fucking AWESOME . I mean, it probably helps that they woz speaking in foreign...sometimes I think bad acting is lost in translation, similar to how i've noticed a disproportionate amount of the weirdos I knew from school ended up with non-native partners and I really unfairly assume that it's because their strangeness is probably less obvious to someone who isn't a native English speaker. There isn't really any plot, which is also something I like in a film. They just sorta dick around annoying people, like a female Czech live action Beavis and Butthead. Would recommend.

7/10

Broken Flowers (2005)

Moody Bill Murray gets a letter from someone claiming he's the father of her son. His weirdo mate Jeffrey Wright convinces him to go on a tour of hi ex-lovers to figure out who it is. It's pretty great, mostly cus of Bill Murray. Like Lost in Translation, he doesn't really do much, but considering he's most famous for being a comedy actor/anecdotes of him turning up at random barbeques and nicking all the burgers and shit, he's fucking AMAZING in these kinda roles. I don't think anyone is better at doing the pensive, moody thing. Really well directed and written, and the actresses playing his ex-partners are really great (though it is a bit of a superstar cast, at least by the standards of the poncey shit I usually watch). I didn't absolutely love it, which is weird cus it's exactly the kind of shit I love. I spose I didn't really care for the premise that much, and didn't really give a shit about him finding his baby momma or whatever, though the journey itself was really well done.

Also the soundtrack is fucking class, especially the Ethiopian jazz shit.

Toggle Spoiler

7/10

Adventureland (2009)

Jesse Eisenberg wants to go travelling around Europe after he finishes uni, but he can't cus his parents are skint or something, so he gets a summer job working at some fairground. I mean, I thought this was fucking class. It was funny, the acting was great, and the plot was the right level of goofy to be fun without being annoying (though I do have a high tolerance for that kind of thing, obviously). A proper good coming-of-age film, although the romantic sub-plot did get a bit boring at times. Not quite as realistically bleak as Bo Burnham's unfeasibly good Eight Grade, but not as ridiculous as like, I dunno, a John Hughes movie. The best part is the very accurate skewering of the cool older guy with a guitar type bloke. Another great soundtrack too.

Toggle Spoiler

8/10

Stranger than Paradise (1984)

Fucking amazing, this. It's just like loads of the kind of plotless, glacially slow indie movies I love, except probably the best of the bunch and it was made fucking ages before anyone else was making them.

9/10

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop watching films and help the village you cunt.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even I'm tempted to change from Mahow now. What a liberty.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wtf am I actually in this werewolf game? I never fucking signed up

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I watched Dead Poets Society I just couldn't buy into any of the people, or the setting, being real (I went to a private school so would know). Then the turn of events at the end was way too jarring for the film it was.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead Poets Society is fucking class. And Jim Jarmusch is one of the best.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some days off so I decided to watch The Irishman today. I could've lived without the 17 and a half hour runtime but beyond that it was.... good? I guess? I loved Joe Pesci in it but almost everything else felt pretty unmemorable to me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved it. A second watch is on the cards.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good, but there are some terrible bits. There are some things no amount on anti-ageing software can hide.

Last edited by Spikey M; 09-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my fondness lies with it being an epic.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started it but never finished it, I do love those type of films so maybe I just need to put my phone out of reach and settle in one day.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too long and isn't as good as it thinks it is.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I seen how bad the ageing thing was I was never watching it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of those films where Manc, Kiko and Giggles all manage to be right. I enjoyed it for the nostalgia and the updates on the characters lives. There hasn't been a gangster film in this style for pretty much as long as I've been alive. But in isolation it wouldn't get a second glance. The anti-ageing really is bad and it does feel like it's long for the sake of being long.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to really be in the mood to watch anything longer than...well, shit, two hours to be honest.

Yet i won't think twice about binging through about 8 hours of something like bcs or the sopranos. Eh.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is it?

I heard on a podcast that a load of stuff was purposely left in where the actors thought the scene had ended/hadn't started. How much of that is noticeable?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over 200 minutes.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Extraction last night and as a straight forward action thing it was pretty enjoyable. That's a ludicrous bodycount Thor racks up though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reviews are so mixed for Tenet, I enjoy a Nolan film but concerned there could be a bit of bias in the word of mouth I'm hearing. One of my friends is pretty excited after watching it but he also loved Interstellar which I think was a good film but nothing amazing.