User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Britain extend their air strikes to Syria?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 18.18%
  • No

18 81.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we bomb Syria?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we bomb Syria?

It's kind of been touched on in other threads but I thought a thread of its own might be a good idea.

I really don't know. Everyone on social media and in the press seems to be a fucking military expert all of a sudden but I don't know. There seem to be pretty decent arguments for both sides.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know either. Seems like it's just continuing the cycle, but then what's the alternative? Sit them down for a cup of tea and come to a gentlemanly agreement?

Or do nothing, I guess. That option depends on just how genuinely dangerous they are, which is hard to get an understanding of which isn't spun through the media.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bombing alone is pointless, it's a token gesture so it looks like we're doing something. Even if it wipes out every IS soldier (it won't) it's not a solution to anything.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pointless us voting to 'bomb' Syria given that America are too cowardly to do anything meaningful as per. Obama has been an absolutely terrible President, one of the worst in history.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Cutting the head off a Hydra.

Unless Muslin countries will put boots on the ground, its a loss every time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we take miltary action it has to be more than bombing and any sort of land invasion would require proper planning for afterwards. There does seem to have been a reversal of IS gains since bombing started but it does fuck all to rid us of the people planning attacks overseas.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more complicated than yes/no.

As things stand, going and bombing ISIS is pointless. It might roll them back a bit in terms of territory, but it radicalises more people and it does so in the absence of any coherent strategy to bring stability.
    There are about ten different conflicts going on inside Syria, involving the Russians, Turkey, Iran, the Arab states and the west, and a shitload of factions. There needs to be political agreement at an international level about what a settlement will look like. Maybe then bombing someone or other might be of use to achieve it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No public poll

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bombing on its own, as parliament appear to be advocating? No, absolutely not.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    It's more complicated than yes/no.
    Obviously. But you can't really capture the nuances in a poll. You have the thread to explain yourself though.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    No public poll
    Yeah, I fucked that up. I only noticed that option wasn't ticked as I hit submit and then it was too late.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is quite an interesting article despite its clickbait title - 7 Things I Learned Reading Every Issue Of ISIS's Magazine

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no.

If ISIS were wiped out, I'd genuinely miss their videos.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a read through one edition of ISIS' magazine. It is a very well put together publication, which coupled with the production quality of the videos makes me wonder if they haven't missed their calling.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC Journalist they're holding hostage and forcing to make reports is some proper weird stuff.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might have some openings for graphic designers, Phonics?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's pointless us voting to 'bomb' Syria given that America are too cowardly to do anything meaningful as per. Obama has been an absolutely terrible President, one of the worst in history.
    Alright, Mert.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I had a read through one edition of ISIS' magazine. It is a very well put together publication, which coupled with the production quality of the videos makes me wonder if they haven't missed their calling.
    Where did you get hold of it?

That's a top article Boydy linked to. At the risk of sounding like Harold, with regard to cutting off their money, I told you so.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Jesus haha. Why the fuck should America be on tha vanguard of this? Obama's doing exactly what he should do (that is, limited strategic operations), and as for his presidency you're just ignorant. Stop trying to discuss American politics.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get hold of it?
    I just googled it and a found a pdf, which I think they put up there. If I remember rightly they translate the sodding thing as well.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given their propensity for using the internet it can't be hard to get hold of.

Edit: In fact just googling ISIS magazine or Dabiq gets you there, as well as onto some watch lists probably, hi CIA!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's Issue 12 Henners, the "Paris Special".

https://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2...e-12e280b3.pdf

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Jesus haha. Why the fuck should America be on tha vanguard of this? Obama's doing exactly what he should do (that is, limited strategic operations), and as for his presidency you're just ignorant. Stop trying to discuss American politics.
    Probably because it caused a lot of this by making a complete tit of the previous war in the region, and then having absolutely no idea how to react to the Arab Spring, getting everything wrong then too.

But that's what happens when your internal politics veers between wets and neocons every decade.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Given their propensity for using the internet it can't be hard to get hold of.

Edit: In fact just googling ISIS magazine or Dabiq gets you there, as well as onto some watch lists probably, hi CIA!
    I'm white and borderline middle class, it's fine.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. There is plenty of other armed forces there in place without Britain. Don't get involved.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    No. There is plenty of other armed forces there in place without Britain. Don't get involved.
    Don't get involved at all? Ever? No matter how bad things in Europe (and over here) might get?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just googled it and a found a pdf, which I think they put up there. If I remember rightly they translate the sodding thing as well.
    Into seven languages. It's one of the best media operations going.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get involved at all? Ever? No matter how bad things in Europe (and over here) might get?
    That not what Kiko is suggesting at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. It's territory which is being used to train terrorists - flagrantly and openly.

Bombing in and of itself is not sufficient, but "stay out of it" isn't a strategy either. It needs to be dealt with, and wringing one's hands whilst expecting other countries to do the heavy lifting is pointless. We'd be bombing already if we hadn't decided to back Assad's enemies without understanding who the fuck they were.

Jim is right. Obama has been a disaster for the region.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's going to get "that" bad. The Syrian conflict is either balls in or leave alone. I'd rather it be left alone. We've killed enough of the youth in far flung places recently.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    That not what Kiko is suggesting at all.
    It is.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's going to get "that" bad. The Syrian conflict is either balls in or leave alone. I'd rather it be left alone. We've killed enough of the youth in far flung places recently.
    Yevrah 1 John Arne 0

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Links to all of them for anyone that's interested, have your islamic phrase book at the ready though and be prepared for most of it to be them ragging on other muslims.

NSFW obviously.

http://www.clarionproject.org/news/i...magazine-dabiq

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Kiko is saying based on the current situation, his answer would be no. Who on earth is talking about the future, and what it's and what about's?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who on earth is talking about the future, and what it's and what about's?
    Wanna take another run at that?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yevrah 1 John Arne 0
    He still answered the question based on the current situation. You are the one who then talked about what happens in the future.
    Regardless, enjoy your e-victory.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to predict what will happen next in the world of international terrorism but I think the armed forces of Russia, Iran, Turkey and France can beat Isis.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. We should bomb Qatar, Saudi and Turkey.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He still answered the question based on the current situation.
    And I asked him another one. Three of them in fact.

I've known Kik's (on this board) for years and as a result it's pretty obvious to me where his opinion would fall.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I asked him another one. Three of them in fact.

I've known Kik's (on this board) for years and as a result it's pretty obvious to me where his opinion would fall.
    I don't care how long you've known 'Kiks' for. He answered a question, and it appeared to me that you were being flippant - maybe I just read your tone wrong, which is entirely possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to predict what will happen next in the world of international terrorism but I think the armed forces of Russia, Iran, Turkey and France can beat Isis.
    Problem is that Turkey is helping ISIS, and the others are basically just lobbing bombs in, and against different factions, some of which are also fighting ISIS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Syria should be partitioned whenever the situation finally resolves itself, whether that's next year or in ten years' time. There's no future for it within a pre-war framework.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The West piling in and carving the place up with a ruler has a great history of working out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The West piling in and carving the place up with a ruler has a great history of working out.
    Who said it should be the West? The issue is the original partition between French and British zones of influence which split communities and created aggrieved minorities in both countries who were subsequently oppressed. Partition it along religious grounds and manage the movement of peoples properly - not Germany post-WWII or India/Pakistan or Israel/Palestine.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed.

I'd too be tempted to say leave it the fuck alone, but when your country already has more than enough ISIS supporters to carry out its aims then doing nothing could be a bit problematic.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    The issue is the original partition between French and British zones of influence which split communities and created aggrieved minorities in both countries who were subsequently oppressed. Partition it along religious grounds and manage the movement of peoples properly - not Germany post-WWII or India/Pakistan or Israel/Palestine.
    Yeah, that'll happen. It'd be the same as happens every time. I got to this bit first so here's a bloke who likes me to lead you while I skim your oil profits, toodles.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got Kurds, Alawites, Turkmen, Shi'tes, Sunnis, and various factions within the latter in particular, all mixed in together. Partitioning it along religious/ethnic grounds doesn't sound like a runner to me.

The entire problem here is the nation state system, but it doesn't look like we're changing that any time soon either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that'll happen. It'd be the same as happens every time. I got to this bit first so here's a bloke who likes me to lead you while I skim your oil profits, toodles.
    What's your solution? Recent history has seen the minorities in control 'persecuting' the majority. It's unworkable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got Kurds, Alawites, Turkmen, Shi'tes, Sunnis, and various factions within the latter in particular, all mixed in together. Partitioning it along religious/ethnic grounds doesn't sound like a runner to me.

The entire problem here is the nation state system, but it doesn't look like we're changing that any time soon either.
    So given you recognise this great global ideal of no borders isn't happening - what's your solution?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay the fuck clear of the entire clusterfuck and let everyone else bomb each other until we end up having to back America in World War 3. Save some cash for a pwopa WAR!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    So given you recognise this great global ideal of no borders isn't happening - what's your solution?
    To the entire Syrian war? I don't have one, other than to say that a negotiations should be progressed without every medium and large power with any influence in the region trying to achieve its own selfish ends.

To ISIS? Force the Turks and the Saudi's to seal the borders and stop the funding. Ensure that the Kurds in particular are freed up and given international support up to fight them on the ground. Stop pretending that Al-Nusra and other jihadis are moderates. Deal with the refugees properly.