Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hades

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hades

Finally on Xbox and on GamePass.

Will play this when I get bored of dying in Dark Souls. Anyone else on it?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've no idea what this is, but I'll be checking in regularly for an opportunity to make a "hades have gone" joke.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted about it not so long ago. It's really good.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is on Game Pass too? For fuck's sake.

This and Humankind coming on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloaded this, but not started it.

Doesn't strike me as something I'll like, but I'll give it a blast as it's on Gamepass.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fantastic. Simple, yet lots of depth as well. And very polished.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm terrible at this, but it does draw you back in for a quick burst.

It's quick for me, because I die. A lot. I think I've made it past the first boss once.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you keep playing, you unlock story and upgrades which makes the fights a bit easier, which then helps you with progression through the rest of the game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good that I keep getting enough Nectar, diamonds, etc. to progress other stuff because now while I can get past Theseus fairly often (I've cleared all the bosses on heat level one with each weapon now) but I'm sadly not turning it into more escapes which is a shame. Another couple of nearlies and I had a build yesterday that would probably have worked because I could just constantly chill him from distance (the Duo boon to make Demeter's crystal beams faster is really solid) but I struggled to stay out of his reach. Not sure the Blitz Disc is a great fit for the Hades fight until I get into a better rhythm fighting him.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you only able to go up a heat level once you've escaped at the current heat level you're rolling with?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I believe so. For each weapon.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's what I guessed. To be fair I'm somewhat chasing prophecies at the moment rather than selecting boons which will make a nice build so maybe I should set aside a few runs specifically to actually try and do the best build I can I'll have more luck.

To be honest it's diamonds I need more than anything else right now resource-wise so unlocking another heat level will get me more of those so that's probably what I should focus on as diamond availability in the Temple of Styx is obviously a little randomised.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever been able to afford a diamond at the Temple of Styx!

I'm also chasing prophecies, and still unlocking more story as I go. All the characters have such great unique personalities.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just try and not spend any more before the Temple so if there's a diamond or a titan's blood there that I want I've got a chance of getting it. Or if I'm gonna fall short anyway you get the boons / poms of better power.

Does sometimes leave me a bit boned, though, if I don't find Patroclus to restore any death defiances I might've lost.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly my second escape again. Even had 5 DDs thanks to a Chaos boon and Skelly's tooth but unfortunately I didn't actually have all of those when I got to Hades himself. Got a bit sloppy against Theseus and the loadout I had was good (Adamant Rail with a decent selection of Daedalus mods and boons) but there were a couple of rooms in Styx where the close quarters fighting weren't suited for my loadout at all. Annoying as if I'd had even one more DD against Hades I reckon I'd have had him.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I caved.

It's currently downloading on my PS5.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was doing quite well (I think) with the bow in my third run and I died on a spike trap

Hadn't used any life until I got to two boss/mini-boss bomb guys who I barely beat and just as I was doing my second room after them I dashed in the wrong place.

Edit: Got to the first boss on the next run and Meg slapped me. Surprised as my load out didn't feel as good as spike death run.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 30-09-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're arguably at the point where I was having my most fun with it in terms.of the game itself. Still enjoying it and loving unpicking the story and trying to get better in the Hades fight but that bit where you're making consistent progress's in each run is very satisfying.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's exactly what I did with my next run.

Beat Meg (just) and then got all the way to Hydra. I thought that, despite being low on health, I had him but when I got him down to about half HP I just kept running into trouble with the extra heads.

Haven't tried the shield yet but the spear is my early favourite. I managed to get further with it than any other weapon and I feel it suits my style.

I don't use cast enough though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only finally unlocked the game-credits scene last week. It was magical.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just made it to Theseus and the Minotaur for the first time.

Got mullered, but I'd ran out of Death Defiance by then, and was rocking up with about 63 health, so I never held out much hope for myself.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just two runs today as I was busy.

The first I lost to Meg, I was using the shield for the first time and struggled with it as it's really not my play style and I just fucked up.

Second, I beat Meg but I used up the two Death Defiance's I had and in Asphodel I ran into the witches for the first time with lowish health and they battered me. Didn't help that they seemed to constantly be near or on the lava so every time I tried to dash them (I had level 2 dash drunk) I'd get hurt.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my second escape.

With the Spear this time. Had the upgrade which turns the special attack into a rocket, basically. That plus the Spear's usual range and a hangover dash thing from Dionysis allowed me to keep damaging Hades without really letting him get near me.

Getting a BIT frustrated with the fact that I seem to be at a block with a number of character stories and the game isn't nudging me toward the next step but hopefully another few runs and I'll be getting there. I've got so much Ambrosia to give out once I progress anybody far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Vercetti View Post
    Just made it to Theseus and the Minotaur for the first time.
    Always be dashing. Took me a few attempts to finally get by them, now it's pretty straightforward unless I'm meeeeegafucked when I hit them.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I was using the shield for the first time and struggled with it as it's really not my play style and I just fucked up.
    I hope you get into it, I like the shield a lot. Close-range stopping power but you can also spam from range too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I hope you get into it, I like the shield a lot. Close-range stopping power but you can also spam from range too.
    I'm sure I will, I think the boons I got did not help at all too.

I think I need a better understanding of what the symbols on doors are think more about what I'm doing because right now it's just "That symbol looks alright".

I also have no idea which Gods are good/shit right now too. Dionysus is probably the one I've gone to most but that's largely because I don't seem to get Ares & Zeus too much.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I think I need a better understanding of what the symbols on doors are think more about what I'm doing because right now it's just "That symbol looks alright".
    https://hades.fandom.com/wiki/Chambe...unters#Rewards

It doesn't list the chambers there where the icon is '!' but basically always take that or a Daedalus hammer if they're available. Otherwise you'll get the hang of which icons are for which Gods or if there's a specific resource you're after or whatever.

If it's not a ! or a Daedalus hammer I'll often treat Nectar as my third priority though sometimes the RNG starves you of boons and you need to cane them. But you basically always want the ! and Daedalus' I'd say.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Cursed Slash and Flurry Slash plus Athene's Aid proved to be such an OP pairing with the Stygian Blade you can see I didn't use one of the four DDs I went into that fight with.

What's that Hades mate? You're chucking down one of those exploding skulls? Free health. Cheers. Oh, you're summoning adds now? Guess what? Free health. Oh look when you have managed to do me any damage you've helped me charge my god guage, meaning I can stand here and kick you in the dick for.... yep, free health.

Beautiful.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bone Hydra down.

Just about did him. Was using the sword and was using some mad Athena cast boom which is seriously useful.

Onwards!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got close to the end of Elysium I think but I ran into a room with loads of longspear twats.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I then follow it up with another trip to Elysium but I then decided to fuck myself over.

I had one death defiance left and for some stupid reason I thought it was one of the ones I paid for in the mirror so I unequipped the lucky tooth losing the death defiance I had in my pocket.

Didn't have much health so died quickly after. I was using the shield this time and I got it a lot more. I had a boon which meant it hit more people and one from Zeus meaning it caused lightning damage so I could chuck it and it would go round hitting almost every enemy for quite a bit of health.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno if this is how everybody does it but I start with the spiky collar and then move to Skelly's tooth just before Elysium in the hope of having three or four DDs for Hades. I only really used the other keepsakes to try and check off the relevant prophecy.

Though I should maybe do this when I'm trying to get all the boons for those prophecies too.

The Spear dickheads are a pain in the arse. Elysium to me mostly seems to be trying to teach you the lesson you need for Theseus and Asterius:
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never start with spiky collar, and often finish with it. Depending on how many death defiance's and your maximum health in the last underworld, +50 to each life could add up to much more than 1x100 skelly tooth.

The longspear dudes are a blessing compared to the shield dudes. Hate the shield dudes.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably entirely situational which obviously is hard to gauge at the start of a run.

3 DDs with +50 health might be an option, or you might be all out of DDs in which case that extra +100 (if you've levelled it up) is the better option / will give you more health. Depends on if you get Patroclus too of course.

Maybe I'll do a few runs where I start with the skelly tooth and switch to the collar at the end, see if that sees me regularly in better nick when I hit Hades, but having got two escapes in the space of a few runs last night definitely feels like progress because I got one with the .... erm, the gauntlets I think? I'm sure I got another one and had a bunch of Zeus buffs plus a handy duo boon. I'll need to double check but I think that's three escapes with different weapons on heat level 1 now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It says in your screenshot above. 1 sword, 1 spear, 1 bow. 0 gauntlets, 0 rifle, 0 shield.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, so it does. And that confirms it was in fact two escapes in a row.

THE STREAK stands at 2-0. Come at me Hades.

Also explains why I can't remember winning with the Spear last night, because it was obviously my last game on Saturday based on my other posts.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just realised I played more than one game last night. The streak is already over.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was fun while it lasted.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

That went from being a run I was certain wasn't going to end in escape until suddenly in the Temple of Styx I was super confident it would be an escape.

I've just shown the bow upgrades there because while I had some handy boons it really came down to a bit of luck with the Daedalus anvil thingy which trades a random weapon upgrade for two random ones. The double shot was very very powerful especially with the increased rate of fire and the chain shot was super handy for the stuff Hades summons.
    Last edited by Ian; 06-10-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my first encounter with Hades, just then. Using the sword. I got him down to around 50% health before I copped it.

This is pretty much all I've been playing for the last few days. Never really saw myself getting into it the way many people seem to have, but I'm on my way.

Asphodel can fuck off, though. I lose so much of my health in the lava, and the chaos of the hydra fight. I'm a dash-striker, and I'm always ending up in bother on that stage.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get there. Hydra's a piece of piss once you get into the swing of it. Unless I really switch off and go into autopilot I invariably get to Elysium without much bother.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercetti View Post
    Had my first encounter with Hades, just then. Using the sword. I got him down to around 50% health before I copped it.

This is pretty much all I've been playing for the last few days. Never really saw myself getting into it the way many people seem to have, but I'm on my way.

Asphodel can fuck off, though. I lose so much of my health in the lava, and the chaos of the hydra fight. I'm a dash-striker, and I'm always ending up in bother on that stage.
    Yes.

I'm constantly dashing around and my health is always ticking away.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Rattling through them now.

With the Twin Fists that time which is the weapon I've felt furthest from beating Hades with on previous attempts.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how soothing the bit after you get past Hades is. The music, the art, the people, everything about it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very nice indeed.

Also: it's a little annoying that I've beaten Hades with the Twin Fists with heat level 1 but now need to go back and try and get him with no heat so I can get the extra titan's blood. Not that I'm running short. Though (story spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theseus and Mino down.

Tried to focus on Mino first and then went for Theseus. Only had 10 HP with no death defiance left.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I fucking had him.

Ended up buying a death defiance (which was used quite quickly) and I did well with no defiance on Hades but yeah...

I also thought I had the Atena boon on myself down in Asphodel but it turned out to be the Artemis one which actually helped me a lot. I ended up with a couple of really cool boons from her which meant my cast was firing a second shot and whenever I did an attack, special or cast it had a high chance to fire a homing arrow.

It meant I was dashing around and just spamming special and cast and I was doing crazy damage without really ever trying to hit someone.

Also, I'm crazy to have ever doubted the shield.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shield is great though I haven't escaped with it yet.

Also I tend to focus on Asterius first though I've had one or two where Theseus ended up going down first.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

And my first with the Rail. And I've matched THE STREAK.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian:

Toggle Spoiler
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 08-10-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha