User Tag List

Page 137 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,850 of 7980

Thread: Mahow's all new, all new, all new food thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the thing I don't get about veganism. If you're going to be a vegan, why do you then start eating shit processed imitations of meat? Why not just eat the vast array of nice stuff made from vegetables/grains etc?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People don't generally like those food stuffs. Particularly not the sort of halfwit who makes dietary decisions on ethical grounds.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because vegans are as shit in the kitchen as carnivores, arguably worse. Beyond grilling meat, boiling veg and microwaving eggs, it's mindboggling how useless a lot of people are in the kitchen and cannot grasp the concept of anything alien to them. So they're all shaped like sausages so people feel familiar to it.

Put me in Southern Italy and I'd happily go meat-free for weeks.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's any more complicated than they can appreciate a thing tastes nice but would rather something didn't die to make that happen.

Whether those things are a decent approximation I don't know, but then I like loads of crisps that don't taste a bit like the thing they're claiming to so who am I to judge?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who lives with a vegetarian but not vegan, we often use the vege alternatives because it's easier to do the same meal and just swap out the meat rather than do something totally separate (burgers for example). The alternative would obviously be I go vegetarian, which I don't want to do, although we eat vege a few times a week.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the fake meat is mostly for people making the change from eating meat to being a fanny. It's probably easier if you can still have something vaguely similar to sausages, etc.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Here's the thing I don't get about veganism. If you're going to be a vegan, why do you then start eating shit processed imitations of meat? Why not just eat the vast array of nice stuff made from vegetables/grains etc?
    I used to work with a (vegan) Indian lad, and it was always amusing to see our American colleagues try to be nice to him by bringing veggie burgers and other shite to our gatherings and expect him to be grateful. His food is miles better than your garbage, just let him be.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'd make a joke about it still being a better deal once you equate the state's costs for your health but I'm not sure what sort of dirty chemical shit they add into those vegan alternatives.
    There wasn’t much health to be had in the alternative by the looks of it either.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I imagine the fake meat is mostly for people making the change from eating meat to being a fanny. It's probably easier if you can still have something vaguely similar to sausages, etc.
    Some of the fake meat burgers and sausages are actually really good. We're often buying them because they taste nice more than anything else.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eat some of the burgers but nobody I’ve found has ever managed to make a decent fake sausage.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Some of the fake meat burgers and sausages are actually really good. We're often buying them because they taste nice more than anything else.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody on here tried the veggie-meat McDonalds one yet? I'm sort of tempted to give it a go. Probably at least in part because the burger itself isn't really the draw in a McDonalds burger.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I've ever tried any meat substitute products. I need those beaks, eyelids and arseholes in my food.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I eat some of the burgers but nobody I’ve found has ever managed to make a decent fake sausage.
    Try Richmond's. They're actually alright.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richmond's veggie sausages and Beyond Burger are best in their respective classes imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Because sometimes you just fancy a burger, and it is permissible to eat them non-exclusively.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an ad for that McPlant and it caught my eye. Someone give me the ingredients pls and I'll see if it's edible or not.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought the Quorn cocktail sausages as a snack thing before, but to be fair they probably don't have less meat than your average cocktail sausage.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the meatless marinara from Subway after a few pints last night and it was fucking terrible even with the open goal.

Is Subway just shit? I had it down as the finest meal known to man about a decade ago but it's always disappointed when I've had it latterly.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still like Subway but it's peak is when you're a student.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rated Subway big-time but since the great reset, my presentable Eastern European workers have been replaced with disgusting obese cretins who I refuse to trust so it's a homemade sub nowadays.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Try Richmond's. They're actually alright.
    I’ll have a look next time I’m up north

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    I had the meatless marinara from Subway after a few pints last night and it was fucking terrible even with the open goal.

Is Subway just shit? I had it down as the finest meal known to man about a decade ago but it's always disappointed when I've had it latterly.
    A BMT or a propper Meatball Mainara are still decent, and the sauce on offer is pretty swish if you're not a one sauce Boydy mong. Outside of that, it's not great.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could never see the point of subway when you had a breakfast roll or a chicken roll about 3 yards away. Maybe late at night, but there’s better options down the street then.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post

Nowhere near as shite as Nando’s but it’s definitely around C-tier, if not lower. (Nando’s is Z)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand how Nando's is so popular.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Has anybody on here tried the veggie-meat McDonalds one yet? I'm sort of tempted to give it a go. Probably at least in part because the burger itself isn't really the draw in a McDonalds burger.
    The actual burger patty is a Beyond Meat one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Nando's is fine. It's (slightly dry) chicken and decent chips. The people who FUCKING HATE it are just being tryhard hipster bellends.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good marketing. They managed to become "cool", so now they can rip you off, give you tiny portions and not even bother to taste particularly good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree it's got expensive.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has it been ten years since Yev's rant?

The McPlant converted my hilariously anti-veggie/vegan brother in law so it must be alright. He was so opposed to it his reaction to his brother gettinf divorced was 'at least I wont have to cater for the vegetarian at bbqs'

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who are willing to eat from McDonalds will eat anything.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    No, but I would imagine it would be better than their meat burgers. The burger king one is probably better than the whopper because the synthetic stuff is inherently less dry than what comes in the beef version, which I would imagine would hold true for McDonalds as well.

The real challenge would be to veganise the one truly great part of their menu, by which of course I mean the breakfast section.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subway should be judged on a per branch basis. There are three that I know of in Exeter, I would use the one in the middle of town or the one on Sidwell Street (if I couldn't be arsed walking ten minutes home and making a sandwich there) but never the one across the river.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    No, but I would imagine it would be better than their meat burgers. The burger king one is probably better than the whopper because the synthetic stuff is inherently less dry than what comes in the beef version, which I would imagine would hold true for McDonalds as well.
    True. It's not like beef patties from McDonalds/Burger King taste anything like actual beef does.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    True. It's not like beef patties from McDonalds/Burger King taste anything like actual beef does.
    Been in the factory and it’s fuck all other than beef, though they are extremely fussy about what beef it is. Well that’s here anyway, and I gather they export to double digit countries.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just brutally overcooked. I don't doubt it's proper beef.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the way through for a burger. Anything else is for american cunts that vomit afterwards. Every strand of mince has bacterial on it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's more the thinness of the patties which sees them overwhelmed by the other stuff in the bun and having a bit of a dry consistency. For that reason the happy meal/plan jane 99p burgers are probably the best ones they do.

But yeah, I agree that the 'medium rare' burger, a distinctly American concept, is something the world can do without.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    All the way through for a burger. Anything else is for american cunts that vomit afterwards. Every strand of mince has bacterial on it.
    I have no issue with well-done for a burger, but they are cooked to absolute death. Like boiling vegetables until they turn to mush.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, all fast food is cooked by teenagers who can barely operate a grill.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Moving Mountains burger is a must.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a second, if you like to eat a steak medium rare, why would you not also take a burger like that?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I cook a burger for myself I would usually do it a little pink in the middle. More well-done than I'd have a steak probably but at least a bit pink. And I'm successfully not dead yet.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just take medium rare whenever I'm asked because the definition of it seems to vary wildly. One of the burgers I had in New York was very pink.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think steak tartare is one of the best starters I've ever had so a medium rare burger is fine for me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'll have mine medium-rare but I can understand why people are hesitant. I was just making clear there's a distinction between well done and dessicated.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a second, if you like to eat a steak medium rare, why would you not also take a burger like that?
    Medium rare mince is nothing like medium rare steak. It may be from the same animal but the taste and texture isn't the same.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, and steak tartare is nothing like a burger either. I have no particular issue with it, but I can see why it is somewhat frowned upon from a food safety perspective, and it's mostly pointless anyway. If the burger is decent [and has the right amount of fat in the mince] then it doesn't need to be rare. If it's a shit burger, then not cooking it isn't going to help [it's going to make things worse in all likelihood].

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are buying mince that you are afraid to eat unless it is cooked through then you are doing it wrong. I just go to the butcher and tell him to grind a couple of ny strips for me (or at least used to before he retired ).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are buying mince that you are afraid to eat unless it is cooked through then you are doing it wrong. I just go to the butcher and tell him to grind a couple of ny strips for me (or at least used to before he retired ).
    Well the theory is that any bacteria will be on the outside, so with a steak you seer the outside and kill the bacteria. With mince you've ground the outside into it and therefore can't ensure that the bacteria-ry bits are the bits that get properly cooked.

I've no idea if the SCIENCE backs up that that's how it actually works or whether it just sounds logical.