User Tag List

Thread: The Last of Us: Remastered

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Last of Us: Remastered

I've managed to put a good amount of time into this now, especially since I've finished GTA.

The clickers are massive, massive cunts. I like the idea of tactically planning my way through places, but it usually ends up with all hell breaking loose, bullets firing everywhere, and these fuckers coming from nowhere to rip my throat out. I'm just so bad at the stealth side of the game.

Am I missing a trick with killing these? The obvious answer is to chiv them, but I'm sure I now have to do that twice to kill them, whereas at the start of the game, I am sure it was just once. Doing it twice means the chiv doesn't last as long and I'm not collecting enough material to craft more, despite searching the fuck out of everywhere I go. Second, is to craft a melee weapon which again, I never seem to be able to collect the right materials for. Is there another way to down these bastards?

They are quite literally my only gripe with the game, and that's probably down to my lack of ability in playing the game. I've just got to the big where you give Ellie a gun after she 'proves' herself with the rifle. Hopefully she's a bit more useful now as she seems to love to throw bricks around when I'm creeping behind tables and boxes, alerting the whole world to our position.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Am I missing a trick with killing these? The obvious answer is to chiv them, but I'm sure I now have to do that twice to kill them, whereas at the start of the game, I am sure it was just once. Doing it twice means the chiv doesn't last as long and I'm not collecting enough material to craft more, despite searching the fuck out of everywhere I go.
    You have to do it more than once if they're attacking you, in that case they're basically just insurance against the instant death that otherwise results in getting caught by a clicker. If you sneak up on them though it's a one-stab silent kill.

My favourite way to get them if you've got a few is to make noise by throwing a bottle or brick, then when you've got a few together chuck a Molotov. The screams tend to attract any that didn't come running the first time, so a handful of those do the trick.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that makes sense and would be why I'm having to stab them twice - cheers.

I'll go with the Molotov idea more often as that seems to suit my style and ability!

I came across the bloaters last night for the first time as well. Am I right in thinking that burning the bastards is the only way to get through their armour? I did try firing a few shots from the shotgun at it, but it didn't seem to do much and I gave up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the best way as far as I know. The first time I encountered one in the school gym I just lobbed molotovs from a distance while shitting myself so I accidentally found the most effective way first go.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the gym was the encounter I had in mind. Bill was just firing bullets at it from about 2 feet away and I was sprinting around like a nutter, firing off bullets, before sprinting off again. I soon realised my long distance shots were futile and had to think a little more about it!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I quickly learned the way Wullie mentions too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't already been caught by a Bloater, it's worth it once just to see the horrific animation. It cuts out at the right time, but imagination does the rest. Freaked me out something fierce.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I was caught a couple of times before I figured out how to beat it. I like the way Bill can stand a metre away from it and not be caught and if you go within three feet, it's massive hands come out and want to pull your face apart.

The noise the clickers make, however, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Horrible sound.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was absolutely engrossing from start to finish. I could play through it again right now if I didn't have The Order: 1886 bought and unplayed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played this for a couple of hours last night, from the start and for the first time.

It's really fucking good and the opening might be the best I've ever seen in a game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never quite got the excitement about that opening. It's good, sure, and I can't pretend to have a list of "best game openings ever" to counter with (though the Green Hill Zone music is pretty ace) but it never struck me as anything special.

I do accept that I was in the minority for that though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s no descent into Rapture, Half-Life train ride or System Shock story dump.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes actually the introduction to Rapture should immediately have come to mind given I did some of that and the second game so recently. I love Prey (newer one) and Fahrenheit (shame about the rest of it) for their openings too.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Fahrenheit showed so much potential in that one scene. And then the mind termites turned up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be the biggest gap between quality of the opening and the rest of the game, right?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly for a Quantic Dream game. Every one since has sorted of started bollocks and stayed the course. Fahrenheit doesn't even start slow. Lukas isn't in his kitchen drinking orange juice or taking a shower.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the beginning of Fahrenheit.

I think I played it on a demo, or might have been a rental, then bought the game expecting it to all follow that path, and, yeah...