User Tag List

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On superstar female singer-songwriter collabs, I'm quite amazed that I've listened to this about ten times since it came out because the chorus is fucking awful. The three of them just have incredible chemistry/magnetism and slay their verses. Bit worried the new Charli album is going to be shite though.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just been made aware of this and holy shit.

The Moon is a Sickle Cell - Archive Compilation (Master Versions of Solo Rarities)
    This is a collection of ONLY one version of each rarity track. The track is either the best quality version or the most well known version of the track. There are 80 songs in total, so it’s like an 80 track rarities album.

Elliott Smith - A Shot of White Noise + Violent Girl (Curated Rarities Comps)
    These are two curated rarities compilations mixing favorite tracks into two mixes that can be listened to as if they are “new” albums.

Elliott Smith - Fritz Moon (Fritz Michaud's New Moon - Comp of All Fritz Mixes)
    Elliott asked Fritz Michaud to master a lot of his rarities and they were in consideration for the New Moon album, but Larry Crane was chosen to mix instead. A lot of fans consider the Fritz mixes to be better and more in line with Elliott’s style. This compilation collects all of the mixes by Fritz Michaud that are available.

Elliott Smith - Misery Club (Fan Voted Favorites Rarities Comps)
    This is a mix of the rarities from the archive organized by fan votes from an online survey and the daily discussions on reddit. Track 1 was voted the most times and the last track the least amount of times.

Elliott Smith - Smile at Confusion (Live Rarities Comp)
    One of the earliest collections of any Elliott Smith material was called Confusion and it was a bunch of live versions of unreleased and off album songs. This compilation reimagines that collection by incorporating songs from all of the new live sources that have been collected over the years. The title Smile at Confusion comes from the song “Dancing on the Highway.”

Elliott Smith - Thirteen (Best Live Covers Comps)
    This is a more condensed version of Part 9 of the archive. Part 1 is a collection of all of the highest quality live versions of cover songs that are available and part 2 are all the lower quality cover songs, but the best quality tracks available. There is at least one track of each cover song Elliott played live that was recorded.
    I'm a twit

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I bloody love jpegmafia

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learnt a bonkers fact today: the singer/songwriter from Creedence Clearwater Revival wrote 'Rocking All Over The World'

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've heard Centrefield, it wouldn't come as such a shock.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radio 1 underwent some wholesale presenter shuffling a few months back, anyone know if their top don or senior leadership team were changed at a similar time? Their output has improved dramatically every time I catch a bit of it. Admittedly, I think it's usually things like the power down playlist with Sian Eleri rather than the drivetime shite that is probably the same as ever but I'm hearing way more edgy electronic vibes rather than the urban ghetto shit of past. The mainstream generations coming up are blessed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Hey What by Low go under the radar last year? It's a cracking album. Very atmospheric. These are two of the highlights, but it should probably be listened to as a whole:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it, but I find I have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to it as it's pretty intense.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonobo's just played 2 tracks off his album released today on his Radio 6 guest mix and tears in my eyes and japseye. What a geezer.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I got on top of archiving my vinyl collection, cos we’ve been clearing out the loft.

I like that Discogs gives you a few valuations - maximum, median and minimum. Obviously it relies on if people were to actually buy them but it was a surprise to see the maximum valuation at just over Ł4k. (Minimum Ł1842.75, Median Ł2712.46.

Seems silly money for some circles with music on. I do love my Elliott Smith/Heatmiser collection, but I should probably give up on trying to be a completist. That being said, they’ve re-released the majority of his albums of pink vinyl limited to only 91, and I’ve managed to grab them all.

Here’s me: https://www.discogs.com/user/bazakehurst/collection

Its mostly stuff I’ve gone out of my way to own, but there’s a few in there that I was given from my dead Uncle’s collection and some I found in a bin.

Also introduced my 4 year old to “records” today and she loved it. Mostly because a) she loves the first track of the Viola Beach one and b) it’s rainbow coloured rather than black, but it’s a start.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, Dead Kennedys.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like looking at those Discogs stats too @Baz. Although sometimes it makes me think I should sell the lot and spend the money on something more grown up. Like a house deposit. The feeling is always fleeting though!

To be honest if you know the right labels and you're on it like a flash you could easily make a bit of money price gouging limited vinyl runs. It would just be a bit of a scummy thing to do, that's all. When MF DOOM died I could have coined a few hundred quid easily if I'd whacked what I had up for sale on Discogs. It all got repressed after a few months too, there's loads of them sat in the shops at the normal RRP now. But people were just going nuts at the time.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has quite the variance:
    Min Ł718.63 Med Ł1,693.24 Max Ł4,382.99

Most valuable by far is Ramases - Space Hymns from 1971 because it's a 6-part fold out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to see my darlings Big Thief tonight, in London. Properly stoked.

Halfway through they started playing 'new stuff' (over and above the 20-track album that just dropped), in went three clean bangers, and then she cut the rest of them out, said 'oh yeah wrote this one on the ferry over, see if it works', played it solo, and of course it was utterly gorgeous, maybe one of their best. Can't find any trace of it online so she must have been telling the truth.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was meant to be at that too Jim. My brother somehow hadn't bought tickets when he thought he had. We luckily have sorted tickets for the Saturday show instead. She seems to be an artist who just has music pouring out of her non-stop lately, very talented girl.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have a ball if they're anything like last night. They put so much energy into 'Not' I'm amazed they could stand up afterwards, let alone play for another hour.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of those times where I miss London a lot.

They were supposed to tour here in May 2020. Then March 2021. But alas.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgotten 80s indiepop classic. The crappy nes synths add to it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    You'll have a ball if they're anything like last night. They put so much energy into 'Not' I'm amazed they could stand up afterwards, let alone play for another hour.
    I agree that they were very good Jim. The place was absolutely rammed so not the most pleasant from a viewing experience (I keep telling myself I'm going to start sitting, or at least going balcony, at gigs but never do) but aside from that, fantastic.

They opened with "Not" followed by "Masterpiece". Which is a hell of a one-two punch. It was almost too much of one, actually. You've kind of played your hand with your two big hitters a bit too early there. They have a lot of great songs, don't get me wrong. But those are their two "anthems" (if you will) for me.

I was very worried they wouldn't play "Change" (which is as beautiful a song as I've heard in a long time) but they performed a one-song encore and that was it, which I delighted with.

Trekking back down to "that London" on Friday, somewhat ironically to see Wakefields favourite sons (how about the occasional hometown show, lads?) The Cribs. Which I imagine will be a very different, much less contemplative and much more boozy live experience. But also great in it's own way!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Wednesday they opened with Change - in fact they opened with the first four from the new album in order, which had me slightly worried (even though I like 3 of the 4), then they went to the big hitters after that. The encore was 'Sparrow' which I also really like.

I sat, which is mostly because I'm a boring fuck, but the angle of the floor to the stage looked a bit shit to be honest so I was glad.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got a good playlist for ‘songs you’ll hear if you go town on a Saturday’ please?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is in America* (or "in America"), Coachella stream + schedule: https://pitchfork.com/news/coachella...ils-announced/

*or another unblocked nation?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visited the chick in London last night. Not a brilliant evening, and this sounds incredibly petty but she's always banging on about how much she loves vinyl (I'm not that arsed), and how much better they sound (I don't disagree), but when I got there she had some absolute piece of shit Ł50 Amazon record player hooked up to some proper shit bluetooth speakers. I'm no audiophile but it just sounded like fucking shit. Made me think she's a bit of an idiot really.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems most of these faux enthusiasts who need to tell you about vinyl superiority are playing them through a shitty Crosley.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show us her Discogs collection
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed the Cocteau twins album she played but she might as well have played it out of her phone speakers on Spotify.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    If anyone is in America* (or "in America"), Coachella stream + schedule: https://pitchfork.com/news/coachella...ils-announced/

*or another unblocked nation?
    Thanks. I'm not in America but the youtube stream works fine for me.
    I've also realised I don't know 95% of artists these days.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Japanese breakfast are wicked, especially BE SWEET. Do you like them/ that song @Jimmy Floyd? I might be miles off, but feels like a Jimmy jam to me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of them/it. Quite like the 90s sounding verse and jangly guitar licks running through it. Can do without the 80s Madonna chorus.

Some of their others in the recommended videos are more Jimmy jams than that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latter half of Arcade Fire’s new album is incredible. Lookout Kid really hits in the feels.

Overall the piece is a little short. There are some highs in the first half but no classics.

Looking into tickets for Dublin next week.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    The latter half of Arcade Fire’s new album is incredible. Lookout Kid really hits in the feels.

Overall the piece is a little short. There are some highs in the first half but no classics.

Looking into tickets for Dublin next week.
    I'll give it a listen today. What did you think of the previous two?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I'll give it a listen today. What did you think of the previous two?
    Reflektor wasn’t great. Everything Now grew on me slowly and now I consider it a pretty good album. Probably on a similar level to this new one.

Their score with Owen Pallet for Her is superb as well. That seems to have only been released last year for some odd reason.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found them to be a bit of a singles band for their last few efforts. The title track off Reflektor is a banger, the rest not so much.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked Reflektor and I appreciated the scope and the switch-up in style at the time but I don't go back to it a lot. I imagine that is the kind of album where when future generations re-visit Arcade Fire they will go "yeah but this one is their actual best work....". You know, like it will be the hip choice or whatever.

Everything Now, I was not a fan of it. I was a bit hesitant to jump on the bandwagon bashing it at the time because it just seemed like a bit of a pile-on. But it was/is pretty shit.

The new one I think is a big step back in the right direction. It's not a major work of theirs, it feels quite low-key is anything, but I think maybe it needed that to regain some lost footing. I would give it a solid 7/10.

Neon Bible remains top of the Arcade Fire pile for me. A cracking record.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not had a chance to listen to the new one yet, but this is my ranked list:

1) Funeral - very much one of those ones (like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea or OK Computer) where the whole is more than the sum of it's parts
    2) The Suburbs - another one which nailed the mood from end-to-end. Some great tunes on it (the title track, Deep Blue, Rococo) but without a truly outstanding banger like Wake Up that would take it to that highest peak
    3) Neon Bible - another great album with some high points (Intervention is proper goosebumps territory) and My Body Is A Cage is "a mood" as the kids say. Tough choice between this and The Suburbs as my second fave
    4) Reflektor - I hated this at first but got more into it one time to the point I really like it now. Only a couple of standout tracks and the rest is decent but not super memorable
    5) Everything Now - the weakest effort for me. I really like Creature Comfort and Put Your Money On Me but the rest is kinda forgettable. I don't dislike the album just it never struck me in the same way as the others

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll have a hell of a Greatest Hits album, if they haven't already.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funeral and Neon Bible meld into one in my brain because I discovered them at the same time. I didn't get into any of their albums after, but this current release is shaping up to be a nice return.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Not had a chance to listen to the new one yet, but this is my ranked list:

1) Funeral - very much one of those ones (like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea or OK Computer) where the whole is more than the sum of it's parts
    2) The Suburbs - another one which nailed the mood from end-to-end. Some great tunes on it (the title track, Deep Blue, Rococo) but without a truly outstanding banger like Wake Up that would take it to that highest peak
    3) Neon Bible - another great album with some high points (Intervention is proper goosebumps territory) and My Body Is A Cage is "a mood" as the kids say. Tough choice between this and The Suburbs as my second fave
    4) Reflektor - I hated this at first but got more into it one time to the point I really like it now. Only a couple of standout tracks and the rest is decent but not super memorable
    5) Everything Now - the weakest effort for me. I really like Creature Comfort and Put Your Money On Me but the rest is kinda forgettable. I don't dislike the album just it never struck me in the same way as the others
    I pretty much agree with all of this, with the exception that I think suburbs does have a truly outstanding banger - sprawl #2 is possibly my favourite song of theirs. It's also my favourite ever abba-esque song, including actual abba songs, and I say that as an abba fan.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    They'll have a hell of a Greatest Hits album, if they haven't already.
    Do artists still release greatest hits albums in the age of streaming? Seems a bit pointless.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotify trying to force a TTH playlist on me. Todays Top Hits.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An actual TTH playlist would probably be interesting. You can do the "blend" thing where it makes one of your liked tracks and another persons can't you. I'm not sure you can do it with more than two people though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know the maximum you can have but it's definitely more than two, we've got a seven person one where my nursery run selection of the Lion King soundtrack really stands out.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    An actual TTH playlist would probably be interesting. You can do the "blend" thing where it makes one of your liked tracks and another persons can't you. I'm not sure you can do it with more than two people though.
    Is it Blend?

bazlol has invited you to join a Blend on Spotify. Join on the Spotify mobile app. https://open.spotify.com/blend/taste...ation=5f9c38d2
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible that this is real lol

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus, Drake is the biggest fanny around.

It seems Fantano baited Drake into uploading the screenshots by claiming Drake had sent him a vegan cookie recipe, which Drake took issue with so uploaded what he actually sent, which is much worse.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean it's definitely a weird thing to do but, come on, "I'm feeling a light to decent 1 on your existence" is a great put down.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty obvious and he's clearly proud of himself as he used it twice, improving it the second time. Plus the black wife line... So cheesy. Loser.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting mad over review scores is such a stupid, stupid thing.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantano is obviously a bit of a dweeb, but that's exactly what makes it so pathetic.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I know you've been waiting for it but I'm just gonna bloody say it. Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde are better than Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Cheers .