User Tag List

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hip Hop Thread

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    You can be forgiven for thinking he's average if all you've ever listened to is classic hip hop albums.
    I guess that's the case. It's not that I haven't tried more modern Hip-hop, I have lots of times but I just feel they lack these melodic, R&B-like qualities of the 90's and early 00's.

Rap these days is either A) A little too much auto-tune (Drake balances on a fine line here) or B) Trying to be "Old school" by trying to replicate more classics such as Illmatic in style. I'm pegging Kendrick Lamar in the latter category, but it's just not the same.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newpaged by Maz being an old fart

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The video you posted was absolute nonsense anyway. Good riddance.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say Illmatic sprung to mind when listening to any of Kendrick's albums, but Nas did kinda set the blueprint for hip hop albums with Illmatic. Have you listened to Section.80?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say Illmatic sprung to mind when listening to any of Kendrick's albums, but Nas did kinda set the blueprint for hip hop albums with Illmatic. Have you listened to Section.80?
    Hmm no, I kinda gave up on Kendrick Lamar after everyone raved about his first album and I just didn't see it.

I gave all the songs a quick listen just now though (usually don't need more than 10-20 seconds of a song to determine whether it's good or not), and there didn't seem to be any good songs on it. The best one was Keishas Song, which was OK but not much more.

The "Illmatic" style is for me basically slow, minimalistic beats, minimalistic choruses & bridges, and little vocals. Basically mostly about the rapping itself. For me, good Hip Hop is just as much about the beats, the samplings and good choruses. So while Illmatic excelled at this style, Nas got better later on. Stillmatic is better.

Songs like "If I ruled the world", "Staring at the world through my rearview" and "Fu-gee-la" is the type of Hip Hop I like and almost noone seems to want to do that anymore.

I will admit though that looking at the rapping alone, not that many people are very good either. The flow is just off, and a lot of people do this super-stuttery style these days, they rap in "bursts" of 3-4 words which is weird (a bit like that Big Boi song you posted, which is absolute shite compared to his rapping on "Ms. Jackson" for instance).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're looking for r'n'b infused hip hop, so yeah, I don't think Kendrick is going to be up your street. I think you're looking for something very specific (rnb hook, straightforward flow) which hip hop has left behind as its evolved. No doubt there's still stuff out there for you, but I wouldn't bother too much with popular artists currently as they all veer towards trap.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that MTV Base era, late 90s-early 00s, all shiny suits, Hype Williams and guest verses.

I forgot all about this until recently, especially that one of them's called Brian

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell if I only like Nelly because of nostalgia or not.

Like, there's no way that's a bad song, right?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand by that entire album. Nellyville was too bloated though, lost interest quickly from there.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride Wit Me is an all time classic.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    I gave all the songs a quick listen just now though (usually don't need more than 10-20 seconds of a song to determine whether it's good or not), and there didn't seem to be any good songs on it.
    Really? Surely you'll never broaden your tastes if you don't give songs a chance. You must be missing out on so much music.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you skip the intro then 10-20 seconds will give you a good idea of what the song is like. Its not the best way to go about it, but its probably more worthwhile than sitting through one or two songs and sacking off the album because you didn't like them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you skip the intro then 10-20 seconds will give you a good idea of what the song is like. Its not the best way to go about it, but its probably more worthwhile than sitting through one or two songs and sacking off the album because you didn't like them.
    Yeah exactly. Its usually what I do to get a general idea of an album. If I hear something that sounds a bit interesting, I'll listen to enough of the song, or all of it, to get a better idea of it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why but YouTube has started upping live music streams to me which seems highly illegal but incredibly useful.

Like this guy who just plays lofi/chill hip hop instrumentals to put on in the background while you work

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hook of the year right here.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These songs are genuinely starting to blend into each other.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really a fan of GoldLink. His flow is monotonous and I can't help but think of that song where he mentions hitting his girlfriend (verse 1, line 5).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoying Brother Ali's new album. Anyone listened to it yet? Very Atmosphere-esque at times.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listened to the singles. Feels like he's lost any aggression he once had which is a huge shame.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ali's Five Fingers of Death is very good.

Weird character. He has talent but his projects are mostly boring. Picket Fence.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of his work is excellent. His voice is amazing. Sometimes the beats let him down, but on some of his early albums his aggressive flow on those guitar loops.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new Brother Ali seems quite good. I agree with Offshore and Max to an extent though, in that he's definitely a very talented bloke but he over plays the whole "man of the people/conscious poet" card to the point of it becoming boring at times. Sometimes you just want him to jump on some harder beats and really tear them apart. It's all a bit too mellow sometimes.

Ant, as a producer, is more than capable of giving him that too. Exhibit A:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible album, that.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has such an obvious answer that it's really bothering me. Where is the guitar riff in this from originally?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.vevo.com/watch/danger-mo...o/USSM21700751

Danger Mouse ft. Run The Jewels & Big Boi - Chase Me

What a line up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince Staples keeps being dope:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much liked Brother Ali's new album. Really chilled and soulful, but that voice will always grab my attention.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Boi's Boomiverse is pretty disappointing. The three stand-out tracks are the ones with Killer Mike on. I'll give it another spin later, though, 'cause I'm not sure 8am is the best time to judge a hip hop album.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've started the new Young Thug album, which is supposed to be more singing and less rapping.

The first two songs were pretty blah but I just hit a few gems in the middle. “She Wanna Party”, “Daddy’s Birthday”, and “Do U Love Me”

Like Offshore says though 8am isn't the best time to judge an album so maybe I just need a and a to enjoy the first few a bit more.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit harsh on Boomiverse. Its good. It just doesn't have too much diversity so half an album passes and you've barely noticed.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    42 fucking years old. Jesus. I know he had suffered pretty much his entire life with sickle cell anaemia, which isn't a disease I know a whole lot about, but I know it can be quite serious. So I would guess it was something to do with that. He seemed really well in recent interviews though.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell. Definitely one of the greats. P in the mid 90s is almost as good as it gets.

leedsrevolution
    Died like a true gangster, choking on an egg.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit harsh on Boomiverse. Its good. It just doesn't have too much diversity so half an album passes and you've barely noticed.
    I agree that it's not bad, but not particularly great either. There are a handful of really cool tracks on there (I feel like "All Night" should be some sort of monster, summer hit single, but it almost certainly won't be), but the rest of it isn't particularly great. It's just a decent album overall, but you kind of want more than that from Big Boi.

Staples, on the other hand, has just dropped a really interesting record. I love that kid. He's smart, good on the mic and willing to take risks. Which is exactly the way it should be when you're 23 and on the top of your game, I suppose. He's basically eschewed any sort of traditional rap production and made a quasi-dance record that's still very much rooted in Hip-Hop, it's great. It's also only like thirty-five minutes long and devoid of any filler, which I'm all for.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, we haven't discussed that the man himself is returning with a new album on Friday. I'm not really sure what to expect from a Jay-Z record at this point. I mean obviously it's Jay, so I'm excited. He definitely still has it in the tank, I'm just not sure what a full length record sounds like from him at this point.

But I really hope it's not just some boring, thrown-together collection of rhymes about his ever-increasing collection of Basquiat originals or something. Or just some bullshit, last-ditch attempt at propping Tidal up. Just sell it to Apple, put the kids in daycare and get back in the studio properly man. For fucks sake.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you think of Magna Carta?

I thought he managed to pull off something new for that album so there's a decent chance he can avoid rehashing old sounds and lyrics, I reckon.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I actually liked Magna Carta. It seemed to get a bit of stick but it was pretty good in my book. Mid-level Jay, he's made worse albums that that. I just worry that, lyrically, he might become a bit of a dullard in his old age. Saying that, he can still absolutely tear it up when he gets a nice guest spot to murder.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think there's probably more chance of his lyrics letting the beats down than vice versa. First time he's stuck to one producer for an entire album, apparently. No I.D.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APPARENTLY there is a fair bit of personal stuff on there, fatherhood and the likes, which is promising. Would be good to get one more great (or at least good) Jay record before he becomes President or whatever.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I read that No I.D. would be doing the whole thing, and that did make me happy. He's a brilliant, and vastly underrated, producer. He's generally very good at helming all, or the majority of, a project too. He's also responsible for one of my favourite, latter-day Jay-Z cuts as well. The "Success" track with Nas. Which I unfortunately can't link because none of his shit is on Youtube anymore.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it being released properly or just on Tidal or whatever he uses now? I still haven't bothered with Life of Pablo for that reason.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Is it being released properly or just on Tidal or whatever he uses now? I still haven't bothered with Life of Pablo for that reason.
    I think it's just Tidal.

Life of Pablo is available everywhere now, though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda crazy that Gucci Mane dropped a better album than Vince Staples in 2017.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Vince Staples album is boring and the drums are legitimately annoying.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    TLOP has been on all platforms since like the 2nd week it came out lol wtf

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streaming yeah, but I mean to buy. Unless I'm really no good at finding it.