User Tag List

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1734

Thread: The Hip Hop Thread

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said, Follow God is one of the better things he's done since life of pablo.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    I reckon Kanye is just trying to game the streaming-system by releasing short albums with short tracks as often as possible to get a boost of streams because it's a new release which will then die out and then he just focuses on the next one. It's a bit sad, feels like he doesn't really care about making good music anymore.
    I'm pretty sure his streaming numbers are hurt by shorter albums, but probably boosted by shorter songs. If you look at something like Kids See Ghosts, though, it was a short album but the songs weren't all short. In fact, iirc they're generally on the longer side for hip hop. I think it's to do with people having shorter attention spans these days, so it's important to get your point across in a more digestible time frame. It could also be quality control as he has less time to make music.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not exactly hip hop but if ya'll haven't heard the Burna Boy record "African Giant" please go do so, I think it's my AOTY tbh.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon Kanye is just trying to game the streaming-system by releasing short albums with short tracks as often as possible to get a boost of streams because it's a new release which will then die out and then he just focuses on the next one. It's a bit sad, feels like he doesn't really care about making good music anymore.
    This is the issue with Kanye now. People ascribe method to someone who's mentally unwell and, evermore so, completely disconnected from reality. All he ever wanted was to be famous, not because he wanted celebrity but because he's incredibly insecure and needs the reinforcement celebrity gives his ego. The man is lost and doesn't have his mother to put him back on the right path. So now he searches for ways to get people to pay attention/live in his shadow. The gospel sermons aren't about him finding god. It's about people finding him their preacher.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's probably some truth to every theory about Kanye, which is why he's so fascinating. He's an incredibly creative and talented bloke that, whilst unstable, seems to find success at every turn. We don't know where he'll go next, but it'll be interesting and most importantly it'll probably sound good. I dunno how somebody can't love him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    This is the issue with Kanye now. People ascribe method to someone who's mentally unwell and, evermore so, completely disconnected from reality. All he ever wanted was to be famous, not because he wanted celebrity but because he's incredibly insecure and needs the reinforcement celebrity gives his ego. The man is lost and doesn't have his mother to put him back on the right path. So now he searches for ways to get people to pay attention/live in his shadow. The gospel sermons aren't about him finding god. It's about people finding him their preacher.
    While I do agree that he's not a particularly well man at the moment, I also agree with what Offshore says about his natural talent and musical ability generally shining through.

I would argue that in the twelve years since his mother hasn't been around to "put him back on the right track" he has managed to separately make both the most influential (808's & Heartbreaks) and most impressive (MBDTF) album's of the modern era. For that reason alone it's very difficult to ever write him off.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    While I do agree that he's not a particularly well man at the moment, I also agree with what Offshore says about his natural talent and musical ability generally shining through.
    We all agree here, it's not what I'm talking about. People can't separate the art from the artist. Constantly ascribing deeper meaning to stuff like him just fucking up the mix of a track or this move or that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

I would argue that in the twelve years since his mother hasn't been around to "put him back on the right track" he has managed to separately make both the most influential (808's & Heartbreaks) and most impressive (MBDTF) album's of the modern era. For that reason alone it's very difficult to ever write him off.

To be fair, those albums are 8 and 10 years old. In terms of pure timeframes it's a bit like comparing Run DMC with Nas or Snoop Dogg or something.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, those albums are 8 and 10 years old. In terms of pure timeframes it's a bit like comparing Run DMC with Nas or Snoop Dogg or something.
    Yeezus and KSG are both classics. TLOP would be too if he cut out 4/5 songs.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeezus is absolute fucking garbage which makes the rest of the opinion moot.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Yeezus and KSG are both classics. TLOP would be too if he cut out 4/5 songs.

I disagree with that. On those two albums only Famous is a really good song (how can you go wrong if you sample Bam Bam tho). No Parties in LA is decent but no more IMO.
    And yeah what phonics said on Yeezus.

But that wasn't my point really, I'm just saying he's been operating for a really really long time so it's hard to say what he did 10 years ago compares to what happens now.

In fairness, Hip Hop has gone down the absolute drain these days. Drake is the only one who ever does anything really good. Eminem gets away with it maybe. Joe Cole A$AP rocky and Joey Bada$$ also do OK stuff but nothing amazing.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Nonsense.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drake. Hahahahahah

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with that. On those two albums only Famous is a really good song (how can you go wrong if you sample Bam Bam tho). No Parties in LA is decent but no more IMO.
    And yeah what phonics said on Yeezus.

But that wasn't my point really, I'm just saying he's been operating for a really really long time so it's hard to say what he did 10 years ago compares to what happens now.

In fairness, Hip Hop has gone down the absolute drain these days. Drake is the only one who ever does anything really good. Eminem gets away with it maybe. Joe Cole A$AP rocky and Joey Bada$$ also do OK stuff but nothing amazing.
    What the hell is this post.

TLOP has 10-11 top tier Kanye-tracks, it's just a bit bloated and doesn't flow that well as an album, but on pure track quality it's among his best work bar MBDTF.

Oh, and KSG is a perfect project.
    Last edited by Bernanke; 08-11-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Bern said. Wolves and 30 Hours are some of his best work imo. Yeezus isn't for everyone, but to dismiss it is absurd. It's a classic in the eyes of many, including a shitload of critics.

Also, Maz, please check out guys like EARTHGANG, Injury Reserve, Denzel Curry, Freddie Gibbs and many others who can show you that hip hop, if anything, is enjoying a resurgence.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t listen to a lot of hip hop anymore, but is Maz’s opinion stuck in like 2012 or something? I didn’t think Asap or Joey Badass (hate even typing that name. So lame.) were doing anything interesting anymore.

Chance’s latest album was beyond disappointing for me. How can you go from making Coloring Book to that in the space of two years?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2012 is pushing it.
    My opinion that Hip Hop firmly peaked in mid-90's, the best albums ever are The Message, The Score and All Eyez on Me and since 2pac & Biggie died it's basically slowly gone downhill.

@Offy - thanks for the suggestions! Please send anything more that you know of that isn't a fucking shitfest of autotuned mumblerap bollocks. I'm struggling so much finding good music these days.

That said, I did give all of those a quick listen and didn't really like any of them. Freddie Gibbs was the best of the bunch and he's not terrible really! At least no mumblerap. But I dunno, it's like he's not rapping in tune with his beats. Kind of feels like Jay Electronica or The Roots should be rapping instead of him.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you know what, amongst all of this whinging Follow God is really growing on me so at least that wasn't too bad from Kanyes new album.

Shame it's only 2 minutes.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like DUMMY BOY?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2012 is pushing it.
    My opinion that Hip Hop firmly peaked in mid-90's, the best albums ever are The Message, The Score and All Eyez on Me and since 2pac & Biggie died it's basically slowly gone downhill.

@Offy - thanks for the suggestions! Please send anything more that you know of that isn't a fucking shitfest of autotuned mumblerap bollocks. I'm struggling so much finding good music these days.

That said, I did give all of those a quick listen and didn't really like any of them. Freddie Gibbs was the best of the bunch and he's not terrible really! At least no mumblerap. But I dunno, it's like he's not rapping in tune with his beats. Kind of feels like Jay Electronica or The Roots should be rapping instead of him.
    Did you do your thing where you listen to 20-30 seconds of the middle of a track? To be fair, I do that as well.

I'd recommend these songs:

EARTHGANG - UP
    Denzel Curry - Speedboat
    Freddie Gibbs - Half Manne Half Cocaine
    Injury Reserve - Eenie Meenie Miney Moe
    Kojey Radical - Can't Go Back
    Dave - Disaster
    Slowthai - Drug Dealer
    Headie One - Both
    Little Simz - Venom
    Sampa the Great - Final Form
    JPEGMAFIA - Jesus Forgive Me, I Am A Thot
    Pusha T - I'm Coming Home
    BROCKHAMPTON - JUNKY
    Rapsody - Ibtihaj

Think that list shows how well he UK has been doing in recent times. If you don't like any of them then I'd suggest finding another genre

That reminded me that JPEGMAFIA is performing for free at House of Vans on Monday. I got tickets for me and my mate this morning. It's free because he's shooting a video, so you'll probably have to get there early to make sure you get in (although it didn't say anything about overselling, they'd be stupid not to).

Also, did anybody listen to the new Brother Ali? I felt like Red Light Zone was the only decent track. Shame. Came across an interesting project featuring Shabazz Palace that came out last year too. Knife Knights - 1 Time Mirage.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean I always do that when getting the feel for anything new, even if it's from someone I usually like. But then if I seem to find some sounds that I like, I'll delve deeper into those tracks, so to say.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll listen a little more closer to all those tracks later today.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Did you do your thing where you listen to 20-30 seconds of the middle of a track? To be fair, I do that as well.

I'd recommend these songs:

EARTHGANG - UP
    Denzel Curry - Speedboat
    Freddie Gibbs - Half Manne Half Cocaine
    Injury Reserve - Eenie Meenie Miney Moe
    Kojey Radical - Can't Go Back
    Dave - Disaster
    Slowthai - Drug Dealer
    Headie One - Both
    Little Simz - Venom
    Sampa the Great - Final Form
    JPEGMAFIA - Jesus Forgive Me, I Am A Thot
    Pusha T - I'm Coming Home
    BROCKHAMPTON - JUNKY
    Rapsody - Ibtihaj

Think that list shows how well he UK has been doing in recent times. If you don't like any of them then I'd suggest finding another genre

OK i've now listened through all of those properly. I'm positively surprises, because there was one track I really actually enjoyed, the Pusha T one (but it has Lauryn Hill in it, and you can't go wrong with Lauryn she's one of my heroes). I kind of like Santeria by Pusha T as well. The track is a proper hip hop track without autotune and mumblerap.

Apart from that - Ibtihaj, Both, Final Form and Can't Go Back were all decent and ranked in that order. Not something I'd stick on my playlists, but it also wouldn't make me leave the Bar if it was playing, so to say.

The rest - sorry, it's just not for me

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts on the "new" Gang Starr album? The thing is a bit weird but it's refreshingly old school at least.

Glad to see Nitty Scott on there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few interesting album releases today from PlayThatBoiZay, Pan Amsterdam and DJ Shadow.

Zay seems to take Denzel's heavy metal style that bit further. It can get a bit dark at times, but I am a fan. Metal is always a genre that I've never been able to get into, which I think is mostly because of the screaming as I do like acts from hip hop and techno that start to cross over.

The more I listen to Pan Amsterdam, the more I like him. I can't really think of another rapper like him. Nice jazzy production and a very unique flow but it definitely isn't for everyone. I'm not sure what he's on about most of the time, but it works.

As for Shadow's album, he has the likes of Nas, Pusha T, Pharoahe Monch, Ghostface, Raekwon, Inspectah Deck, Run The Jewels, De La Soul etc. so he's pushed the boat out. I only listened to it at work so it didn't have that much of my attention, but I'm going to listen through again tomorrow. There's an interesting concept there so it probably deserves full attention.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawn by those features I gave the DJ Shadow album a listen (only bothered with the second part with rapping on it). It's so weird. But quite good. It's actually some really decent rapping on there, and the beats are mostly all really nice as well I think. But there's this weird disconnect between vocals and beats that I can't get over.

The music itself mostly sounds like the Soundtrack from a Blade Runner film or something. Or in the case of JoJo's World for instance, it strictly sounds like it could be part of the soundtrack of Final Fantasy 7 (Mako reaktor or Forgotten City ish).

The exceptions are maybe Drone Warfare (though it seems a little unfinished) and Urgent, Important, Please Read. Specially in the latter there's some congruence between beat and rapping which is neat.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kanye and Dre. ������

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe give J.I.D. a shot, Maz. Signed to J Cole's label but not quite as dull.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave it a listen cheers. But actually prefer J Cole out of the two. Though really J. Cole has only done 4-5 really good songs (I like No Role Modelz for instance).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FUCK, IAM released a new one today

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with Psy4 de la Rime as well. Nostalgia overflow.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. It's quite good as well. A tad monotonous maybe.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never watched the music video for Freddie Gibbs- Crime Pays.

I've timestamped a bit of the verse, a bit of the chorus, and the skit that happens in between. Freddie Gibbs might just be the most charismatic guy alive.

Monday. Monday.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so lucid these days huh.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least be funny.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the only song of his I know, so I can only be as funny as he was good.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it exhausting to try so hard?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as exhausting as auto-tuning and stealing music it turns out.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This man really did a google search just to find other things to talk shit about someone who literally just died.

You're a strange guy, man.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google search? I already said it's the only song I know. Did you think the auto-tuning and music theft weren't apparent?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Shame, that.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only JUICE I care about.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodbye and good riddance.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post

Only JUICE I care about.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6ix9ine got off light, huh?

Will be out by November at the latest.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless someone shivs him.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was listening to Purple Haze 2 this morning, and it sounded OK. Typical Cam sound.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like most of Future's songs but very few stand out. This is definitely one of them that do. I feel like it should get more recognition because it feels like a classic.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate future but thats a banger. I was obsessed with it in 2018 and then put it on with a bunch of female colleagues who didn't take well to the ho/bitch theme. I tried to explain to them that the hoe/bitch was about fighting superficiality and concentrating on being the best you can be instead but I got my bluetooth speaker rights revoked.