45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out there is an Orange Cassidy match I'd like to watch

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raw seemed to be a bit of a dud as they're pretty much set on the WrestleMania card already and God forbid they try to generate some heat for any match outside the Bloodline story, but:

Dominik Mysterio def. Johnny Gargano

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Turns out there is an Orange Cassidy match I'd like to watch

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince McMahon couldn't get Goldberg to do a job but Tony would get him to lay down for Orange Cassidy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody and Roman promo segment great yet again. It's amazing that Cody has somewhat randomly become the most over babyface in a decade after that run in AEW.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all great stuff, but I forgot how weird the THUNDERDOME was

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Cody and Roman promo segment great yet again. It's amazing that Cody has somewhat randomly become the most over babyface in a decade after that run in AEW.
    I also like how he got out of AEW at the perfect time. They've been nothing but downhill since he left and he's gone nowhere but up.

I think him stipulating himself out of the title picture in AEW is also helping here. Cody hasn't had a title worth shouting about in quite some time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post

This is all great stuff, but I forgot how weird the THUNDERDOME was
    I can't remember what I rewatched recently that was Thunderdome era but you forget just how odd it was. Wrestling to silence / piped in noise depending on when it was to an audience of weirdly oppressive iPads.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That era destroyed wrestling for me. I couldn't cope with either WWE or AEW, and also NJPW (but that was also booking related). Only ROH seemed to nail the no-crowd thing. Honestly, the block of tapings they did to no fans in the back half of 2020 was great TV.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could've went Lucha Underground and just taped something more cinematic. But then I guess they wouldn't have been able to sell slots on a Zoom call like tickets.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Baz you watched Dynamite? Main event is right up your street.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this and I don't think I'll be able to sleep again so now you guys have to see it too:

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Baz you watched Dynamite? Main event is right up your street.
    No I’m in Lanzarote. Will avoid spoilers and watch it on Tuesday.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could have broken his freaking neck.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I shit on this type of wrestling. Yeah the crowd popped and Meltzer will give it 5 stars but who the fuck will care about this in a week's time? Save it for the big annual show, not some episode of TV. If you paralyse yourself in this scenario then you're a dumb fuck and I've got no sympathy.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely mindless. Just so idiots can chant “this is awesome” for 30 seconds. Awful.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIGHT FOREVER! etc

(I love that’s the name of the game by the way)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe like how Smackdown did a load of wrestlers catchphrases AEW will do all the self-indulgent crowd chants.

I look forward to AEW: We Deserve It.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fight forever might be the worst, dumbest thing imaginable to shout at a wrestling match.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Fight forever might be the worst, dumbest thing imaginable to shout at a wrestling match.
    Why? It’s essentially ‘we are enjoying this and hope it continues for much longer.’
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Waaaaaaaah the wrestling moves were too cool, I should see it less. I want 6 tests of strengths a match, that's real wrestling!'

Absolutely bizarre criticism. He probably does it like 3 times a week in AAA.

Big E almost died taking a basic Belly to Back Suplex. Rey Mysterio literally killed a guy on a house show from a drop kick. Should those moves be saved for PPV too?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

aka ‘This.’
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Why? It’s essentially ‘we are enjoying this and hope it continues for much longer.’
    The entire conceit of wrestling is that you should want one person to win, the whole presentation is geared towards that. This is awesome, you deserve it and the rest are all close behind.

On the big moves on tv thing, yes to some extent you should save the more impressive things for the bigger shows but when there's only 4 (I think) a year they would end up being even longer than they already are. For AEW their tv is the bread and butter and it makes more sense for them to put some of that in the regular show. Plus this is lucha guy getting one of his first big matches in front of a bigger audience, it's more understandable that he would want to impress.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the entire international audience is paying them 8.99 a month to watch said 'TV' shows.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumours are that Pete Dunne will face WALTER on Smackdown tonight

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    'Waaaaaaaah the wrestling moves were too cool, I should see it less. I want 6 tests of strengths a match, that's real wrestling!'

Absolutely bizarre criticism. He probably does it like 3 times a week in AAA.

Big E almost died taking a basic Belly to Back Suplex. Rey Mysterio literally killed a guy on a house show from a drop kick. Should those moves be saved for PPV too?
    You’re missing the point (or at least my point). Wrestling has always been built on storylines and working towards the crescendo (ie. the blowoff). But now after no angle and one 16 minute match, Omega and Vikingo can’t wrestle each other again. They went so balls to the wall that we’ve conceivably seen all they have. Agreed, the match was a great spectacle but it’s done nothing to bring you back next week because a) they’ve built no heat and b) Vikingo is so talented (I mentioned a while ago that he’s probably the best out of the flippy shit gang) that when they inevitably try to do a repeat with someone else it’ll just look like a bad copy. AEW is too often just a random card of matches that will produce moments of great athleticism but has no heat going in and no heat coming out and while the core audience love that, it just doesn’t relate to mainstream viewers. It’s no surprise TV and PPV ratings were highest when Punk was on screen, because he did storylines.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re missing the point
    He does that a lot.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punk was boring and sucked ass. People only like Punk because he was a barely shining light in the worst period of professional wrestling in 30 years and pointed out how shit it was.

‘Omg did you see him recreate the first 5 minutes of worlds most boring man Brett Harts matches. Now that’s wrestling.’

What is Vikingo v Omega supposed to build to? He's not an AEW wrestler. He's a AAA wrestler. He can't speak English. There's not going to be another PPV for like 4 months. It was something to entertain people who pay money to attend an event, subscribe on FITE and get people to watch TNT.

It's not the fucking 1970s anymore and Jim Cornette and his shitty Smoky Mountain Wrestling ideas of what 'the business' is is horffically outdated as proved by the fact it's not in business anymore.

The idea that you, Ben, a man who spends his time watching NJPW and knows what a Super G1 tournament is has a better idea of what mainstream viewers like more than someone like me or Baz is just condescending.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calls someone condescending while being condescending.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the Phonics Pipebomb?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe Ben thinks it's acceptable to just go about having his own opinions on an important subject like pro wrestling.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let me push my glasses up my nose while I point out it's the G1 Climax not the Super G1.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phonics' post is now completely useless after that glaring error.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Can't believe Ben thinks it's acceptable to just go about having his own opinions on an important subject like pro wrestling.
    Am fine with Ben having his own opinions hence why I'm explaining that other opininons also exist despite claims of understanding mainstream viewers.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not claiming I understand it. I just looked up the American TV ratings and PPV buys.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Am fine with Ben having his own opinions hence why I'm explaining that other opininons also exist despite claims of understanding mainstream viewers.
    Yes but as with every conversation you engage in on here these days you're being about twenty times as pointlessly and tediously grumpy about it as you need to be.

Just chill the fuck out and have a conversation.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't one of the other misery threads which has just descended into entrenched people bellowing at each other, we're just talking about the oily Lycra men chucking each other about.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM Punk's had a nice time slagging everyone in AEW off in response to a Dave Meltzer news quote only about 2% would have read before his response.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Punk though, how good he is or isn't is largely irrelevant given how much of a bellend he is has now become basically his only trait. Tony needs to get rid ASAP.

Also just started skipping through Smackdown and it's opening with Cody vs. Kaiser which according to Cole "started on Smackdown Lowdown." Firstly: I had to Google what the fuck that is. b) Spell it Lo Down you cowards.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t have minded CM Punk but his seemingly crumbly knees meant he botched every big spot.

Jeff Jarrett is in better shape.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jarrett is far more enjoyable than he has any right to be.

I was a bit sad Dunne only got 9 minutes against Gunther, considering Kaiser went 16 with Cody.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit sad Dunne only got 9 minutes against Gunther, considering Kaiser went 16 with Cody.
    I agree though I get why it got the time it got in the context of the show. Nice reminder of what the two of them can do though and I hope they get a proper go again at some point.

I can't figure out if I'm meant to think Sheamus or McIntyre are right in there sub-feud at the moment. Or are we supposed to be wishing they'd just make up?

Also have to say that was a good pop they got for Rey finally getting sick of Dom's shit and giving him a slap. I really wasn't feeling this feud early doors but they've done a good job of it. Not convinced Rey can drag a properly good match out of him but we'll see.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’ll be the good ol’ Larry Zbyszko stalling like fuck from Dominik. Probably the best way to go.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we reckon if Dom loses Judgement Day bin him or will they save that for later?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something very wrong if he doesn't win in the shittiest way possible and then spend months insufferably living off it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Do we reckon if Dom loses Judgement Day bin him or will they save that for later?
    Dom needs to win if they plan on using him long term. It’ll probably end up with Rhea dumping him eventually because the fans are turning her.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realised I hadn't watched the Cody/Reigns stuff from Raw so gave that a watch there. Really good again.

I like how they're weaving this all together. Zayn is feuding the Usos but that's still being shown as part of Reigns' story, they're really teasing more Reigns / Jey stuff to come (which is what would bring the story full circle) and even just showing Solo having a bit more of a mind of his own for basically the first time too.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody vs. Solo on Raw should be entertaining even with the inevitable fuck finish. Solo DQing himself to get in one last beat down on Cody before Sunday.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah that's gonna be more angle than match but should still be good.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PWInsider are reporting Gangrel is being brought in for WrestleMania. Christian was put away in a casket on AEW and that’s Wrestling 101 in how to write someone off.

Brood entrance at WrestleMania