Page 310 of 373 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360 ... LastLast
Results 15,451 to 15,500 of 18635

Thread: The Ultimate WWE Thread

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They on XWT?

Cornette certainly has some views but watchalongs sound cool as fuck.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I would have loved a chance to get to a Takeover at the peak of Black and Gold era NXT.
    We went to one in Plymouth Pavilions which had on the card Finn Balor, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura, Asuka, Bayley, American Alpha and more which I'm probably forgetting. I think we got our moneys worth on that one.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    They on XWT?

Cornette certainly has some views but watchalongs sound cool as fuck.
    Yeah there's a pack - search Cornette.

Some are missing, including the most recent 1992 Royal Rumble match, so I've downloaded all the matches he's done watch-alongs for on his podcasts and plan to sync them up myself.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you weren't into Cody vs. Roman then you should be after that promo last night.
    The promo with him and Heyman was great. I do quite like the "man I just wanted to win a title belt and now you had to go and say all this shit" angle to it as well. I look forward to what happens when Reigns inevitably starts talking about Dusty.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Baz where's that list of wrestlers that AEW have killed when they're hot?

Add The Acclaimed and Jamie Hayter to it. Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read that the Cody and Heyman segment from Raw wasn’t even planned. Heyman wasn’t booked and they had a sole Cody promo planned but Heyman was in town because Lesnar was booked and Heyman still handles all Lesnar creative. So he and Cody got talking and worked it out.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That absolutely stinks of a "100% would not have happened under Vince" bit of booking change.

Plans change, pal, but they're MY changes, and I've decided you're Stardust again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to be gutted after WrestleMania when this Bloodline stuff comes to an end. Easily the best TV since Bryan vs. Authority.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it will end at Mania. Whether they resume some Zayn/Reigns stuff then or end up with... I dunno, Reigns and Jey as the finish to make it really come full circle? I dunno, but I think especially if Reigns is only facing Cody at Mania there's more to come.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rock at SummerSlam

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with The Rock ending it is... I don't really want him beating Roman? Though maybe Roman's run here has made him big enough that when he eventually just goes into the Big Match Cycle like Bork that wins and losses will largely be irrelevant?

Also, re: this:
    Easily the best TV since Bryan vs. Authority.
    Where is everybody putting the Bloodline on their best all time wrasslin' storylines? Podcasters / channels I follow have mooted it as being among the best ever if not THE best ever. I think recency bias is obviously a factor a) just... generally and b) because the recent stuff ignores that it did go into a bit of a lull for a while. But on the whole I think you'd have to be the biggest WWE / Reigns sceptic to not at least think that it's 'up there.' I can't think of a contender from the period of my peak wrestling nostalgia (Attitude Era didn't do a lot of very good long term storytelling and I was far too late to have emotional attachment to Savage / Miss Elizabeth, say) and I think some of the more obvious more recent examples (Hangman Page's ascent to being a title contender, Yes movement, etc.) have been subsequently beefed by "right what do we do now we've got the first main peak of this thing?"

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rock sucks and is a giant cornball these days. Keep him away.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The Rock sucks and is a giant cornball these days. Keep him away.
    I would be concerned that quite aside from the fact that he hasn't had a good match since Mania XIX* he also has absolutely no sense of humour these days. A feature of Reigns' reign of terror is that he's known when a Funny Thing is happening and to go with it and based on his ACTUALLY BLACK ADAM DID REALLY WELL antics and that he's not allowed to seem weak in action moves even for a scene I suspect he simply doesn't have the sense of humour to be the Rock any of us know and love(d) now.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why have I only just heard this?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More good Bloodline stuff. Really not sure how that's all gonna shake out, but I did think they might do a bit more with the fact that the Usos can't go to Canada than "Er, Roman says to watch it at home, yeah?"

Their tag match was really good too. I like that they have had them defend one set of tag belts a few times so it feels a bit more plausible they could lose them even on TV. Loved the finish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post

Why have I only just heard this?
    Fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought I’d say this about a Hikuleo match but watch Hikuleo vs. Jay White.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another week, another Cody home run. He's coming across like a complete superstar and the fans are ready to get behind him as the top babyface.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird how great he's been because he's not doing a huge amount different to his AEW run, but he came across as completely unbearable there.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AEW is all about the matches. Their TV show is wall-to-wall matches with fans marking out for MOVES. Cody is of the old school where the story is built and the match makes sense. AEW fans would rather he stopped selling the arm and did a corkscrew senton. It was just a bad fit all round once they settled into their routine. Cody doing his thing stood out for being different and the only person he had as a filter/advisor was the cocaine addict, so it wasn't surprising it was ridiculous at times.

WWE have none of those concerns.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    corkscrew senton
    Hell yeah!

THIS IS AWESOME

FIGHT FOREVER
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another week, another Cody home run. He's coming across like a complete superstar and the fans are ready to get behind him as the top babyface.
    I am curious about the (excellent) segment. Testing the water for a triple threat? Making sure if you so much as mention Cody and Zayn in the same breath the fans don't reject the former? Just doing the basics of at least building the idea that Sami could beat Roman at the weekend (he surely won't)?

Whatever it is, it must be heartening for them that Cody isn't getting Bluetista'd.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're just trying to get around the obvious problem they've created in Sami Zayn. He's got himself very over and there's risk of a Daniel Bryan situation(albeit not as big) when Roman has to beat him in Montreal. They need everyone behind Cody after that.

Once Sami loses they'll have him in segments getting behind Cody and being all "I lost, now you're the companies only hope" etc.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, so far it just looks like they're going to have Sami endorsing Cody for six weeks to avoid a potential revolt. Somewhat surprisingly it seems that it's not even needed, Cody is arguably organically over more than Sami at the moment anyway. It's a long build to Mania after Saturday though so it won't harm to have Sami dipping in and out.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhat surprisingly it seems that it's not even needed
    This is kind of what I meant, they don't need to do this because Cody's doing just fine (though as you say, it can't do any harm) but it's nice that they're at least trying Sami/Cody as a possibility in kayfabe even if it presumably isn't one in reality, so it might be that they're doing it because they have less of a cretin in charge and it's the sensible thing to do and that in itself is a good thing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God forbid it might be a bit of long-term foreshadowing. A Money in the Bank (or similar) title match perhaps.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'd be a great follow up match to Roman. Cody v Sami at MiTB would be a good show. You risk splitting the crowd with your supposed new top babyface but it's an easy in.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy Dynamite was horrendous. One of the worst ever.

At least they didn’t get a close up shot of someone blading this week I suppose.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Montreal crowd for Sami on Smackdown.

I hope they don't totally beef it tonight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other end of the spectrum, the Elite literally had a fucking basketball match in the ring on Rampage. Absolutely embarrassing and they’re undoubtedly the worst thing about AEW right now.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I read about the basketball stuff and it gave me strong Street Profits / Fridge Raiders vibes from a couple of years ago, whenever that awful feud was.

Also Gunther vs. Moss was pretty good. Obviously Gunther doesn't tend to have any duffers anyway but I do think Moss has more potential than you might think given his jobbery gimmick and he did a good job of just being a relentless physical test for Gunther.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he still in Create a Wrestler gear?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, he looks very generic now but he's not still wrestling in fucking suspenders.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plain black trunks with plain black wrist bands weren't much better tbh.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The men’s tag match was good as well. Four good workers and they got time and the crowd were really into it which always helps. About as good as you get for a WWE TV tag match.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy Dynamite was horrendous. One of the worst ever.

At least they didn’t get a close up shot of someone blading this week I suppose.
    I’ve fallen off it due to time commitment issues. Will get back involved in the the next week or so in time for Revolution on 5th March.

Honestly was the thought of the pointless Bryan Danielson gauntlet that made me switch off.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair up until this week it's been really decent for a couple of months now. But this week was a complete abomination.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The men’s tag match was good as well. Four good workers and they got time and the crowd were really into it which always helps. About as good as you get for a WWE TV tag match.
    Forgot to mention that yeah but it was good fun. Would like to see those four get a PPV match actually, so you can do it without all the ad break interruptions.

It's a weird point to be at but Sheamus basically doesn't have matches any worse than about 7/10 these days.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's a weird point to be at but Sheamus basically doesn't have matches any worse than about 7/10 these days.
    That’s an indictment of the WWE formula in my opinion. It’s so repetitive and restrictive that it takes someone about ten years in the WWE system to truly nail down the psychology of wrestling (and it’s only going to get worse in the future because they don’t run daily house shows anymore), which is where Sheamus is at now. In the past it would take someone about three years to get there. For example, Sting was atrocious in his early years for Watts (1986ish) and then by 1989-90 he was having genuinely great matches.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montez Ford is a star. Give him the damn belt.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best Elimination Chamber I've seen.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't a fan of the finish but my word did those 6 men go all out.

Incredible stuff.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing storytelling in the main event but it was let down with a typical Roman Reigns finish and I also hated that Jey didn't make his choice.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to sound like CM Punk but what was Kevin Owens doing 90 seconds prior to coming out. Having a sandwich in catering?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good show overall I thought.

Some of the spots in the mens chamber were great. Reigns v Sami was done very well too. The only niggles with it I have(that are true to a lot of these kinds of finishes) is that the ref who is seemingly dead on the outside is fine to scamper in at full speed because the finish needs to happen. Also KO coming out after all the shenanigans and the match was lost makes no sense. Why did he not rush out when Jimmy did?

Still there's no PREMIUM LIVE EVENT now until Wrestlemania and you've just had Sami with a legitimate claim that he had Roman pinned. I wonder if there's scope for inserting Sami into the Cody match somehow? I know the actual answer is more likely that it's never mentioned again, but they surely did that spot for a reason.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laughed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the main event and...I did not like it at all. Whoever was the agent for this match needs firing.

Roman came out first which got my back up immediately. Corey Graves can talk about "champion's prerogative" all he wants but no, the champion always comes out last. Then they milked the crowd way too long (>5 minutes ffs) but whatever. Then there should have been a big heat segment with Roman beating the piss out of Sami in the middle of the ring but instead they did the old walk-and-punch around ringside so they could get Sami's wife into it. And then I'm not joking here, that sunset flip powerbomb was the first actual move of the match and we're 15 minutes in. No build, no working of the limbs, just straight from nothing to powerbomb-pin-uranage-pin-exploder-pin, zero to hundred. And all three of those pins were very close near falls, just no building of suspense whatsoever. Then we had the ref bump-false finish angle which is fair enough because they're in Montreal and it gives an avenue to build a triple threat for Mania if they want to (I hope not). But then we get some ridiculous stupidity with the Jimmy Uso interference because there's no way the replacement ref has not just seen the fucking interference because he's already legging it down the aisleway as Jimmy is mid-air for the splash. He should be calling a DQ here. We then get a couple more random move-pin combos before ANOTHER REF BUMP. And then they don't even have Jey make a choice so they could have left that for Smackdown. Then the flattest fucking finish ever and the crowd didn't know what to think. If the intention was to kill Sami off so the fans will get behind Cody 100% then well done, otherwise what a blunder. And then Kevin Owens finishes his supper to come and send the crowd home happy despite his mate needing him more than ever a few minutes earlier.

I'm just so pissed off. This thing was a cannot miss and they managed to miss. There's just no reason to care about Zayn anymore.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of that, Ben. Referee logic was awful, KO only appearing when the game was up didn't make much sense either. I thought that was a proper wet fart of a finish and if they're going to now have Jey turn heel because he does that thing where wrestlers don't know what an accident is to have him just rejoin the Bloodline and feud Sami/KO then it's a big old

from me, Clive.

Rest of the show, womens Rumble was so-so with some good spots. They cleverly didn't try and have Carmella actually wrestle and I'm well up for Belair / Asuka. That should be a tremendous match.

Bork / Lashley - Skimmed through this and it was exactly the sort of shit I expected, but with an even shitter finish, so bravo lads.

Mixed tag - Skipped. Don't need to see Mr and Mrs Edge beat yet more current talent.

Mens chamber - Pretty decent? Hampered by a load of blokes who I just didn't see winning but there were some really good bits in there.

That ending of the show was a complete wet fart though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KAIRI (Sane) vs. Mercedes Moné (Sasha Banks) was really good. I’m not reviewing because I’m on my phone but take my word for it, if you’ve never seen Joshi wrestling then this is a great entry point with it being in America and two ex-WWE wrestlers.

Mercedes also wore Hana Kimura gear which was a great look.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Owens thing I think it's that they're not officially pals again yet but he was just returning the favour and wasn't going to let him get battered outside the match. They should do more stuff in Montreal, that crowd loved everything, even Johnny Gargano.