Thread: The Ultimate WWE Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    Why do ya'll not like Keith?
    Fat Keith (Lee) is great.

Randall Keith Orton I am bored of. As I assume we all are.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No-fucks-given-Randy Orton is a gift to wrestling. He so obviously doesn't care and it's amazing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's fine until they actually have him wrestle a match. Who was his last good one? AJ?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lolled at his HIAC match with Jeff.

The earlobe pull was great.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most he's enjoyed himself since I got back into it was when he was given apparently free license to do to the Singhs whatever the fuck he wanted.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be a theme with the wrestlers that can't be arsed anymore because Baroque loved flinging them across a ring.

Almost broke one of their necks too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kofi is now at over 1000 days as a WWE/F tag team champion in his career.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too shabby.

I love that since he got squashed by Brock you really wouldn't know that he'd ever been one of their world champions based on commentary and such.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Jinder Mahal still going?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injured but has hinted that he might be ready for the Rumble.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dio Maddin is officially not going back to RAW for commentary duty, he's gone back to the PC to focus on wrasslin.

Apparently that wasn't the plan but Samoa Joe has been doing so well that they want him continuing until he can wrestle again.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe is great. Surprise surprise.

WWE sort of maximising how they're wasting him here

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker's normal voice is so damn modest.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's had a mare of a couple of months.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke Harper, Sin Cara and The Ascension (who I didn't know were still employed) have been released.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the match between Miz and Bray at TLC will be a non-title with Bray as the Firefly host not The Fiend.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just Googled to see when the TLC PPV is but then I saw what you lot probably already know. Bray ripped out Bryan's hair?

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Luke Harper, Sin Cara and The Ascension (who I didn't know were still employed) have been released.
    Sin Cara should have been released years ago. I don't understand they can keep someone like him who adds nothing but quite happy to future endeavour someone like Damien Sandow. Luke Harper should go to whatever the other brand is and run roughshed over everyone as I think he's underrated.

I find the whole thing so boring though which is a shame as I would like to like it once more.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only watch the main roster PPV's (and even then I skip some) because it's terrible.

NXT though is fucking great.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is amazing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bate vs. Ohno from NXT UK a couple of weeks ago was very good. Not quite Bate/Walter but it's a valid comparison because of the structure and pacing of the match.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know NXT tend to give guys mixed results in their matches, have them build others up and appear to be doing little with them until they suddenly have something ready for them (Keith Lee being a prime example) but I see the NXT results and the Cameron Grimes booking seems particularly odd.

He had a few weeks of quick wins and essentially a one-hit-kill finisher and now has had a couple of quick defeats back to back. Bit strange.

Also didn't expect O'Shango to be winning last night. I was sure it'd be Lee to go through and be the loser against Cole next week or whenever it is.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLC tonight but the card looks absolutely awful. Mostly tag matches too from my quick gander.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only match that actually excites me is Buddy Murphy v Aleister Black.

Viking Warriors v TBA could be good too if they pick the right team to face them and they actually give the match the time it needs. I assume it will be against The Street Profits which is a good team but they sort of ruined it by making them lose fairly quickly on RAW.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know the card isn't even so much bad, to me, so much as it just feels deeply uninspired. Which is somehow worse than something they'd given an earnest go but just looked balls.

Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin - Will probably be fine right up until it becomes an overbooked arsefest. These two are fine-to-good but the feud is awful and it feels like we've seen these two a billion times.

New Day vs. The Revival - Should be good, maybe even great if they get the time, but as much as I'd like this to be what New Day /Usos was as a series this doesn't feel like it has much build behind it.

Bray Wyatt vs. The Miz - Only thing I'm interested in here is, if he's starting as Funhouse Bray as the name on the card suggests compared to previous ones, exactly how long does it take for Miz to start to get the upper hand, lights go out and a quick costume change for Miz to get fisted by the Fiend.

Black vs. Murphy - I hope this gets the time to make it great because it could be and I've even enjoyed the relatively restrained build. Give 'em 15 minutes and leave them to it. if it's good then Murphy won't suffer from the inevitable defeat.

Kabuki Warriors vs. Lynch and Flair - The kabukis are obviously losing to set up some future Lynch / Flair feud here but unlike the above they won't gain anything from this. They've already been booked to struggle to beat these two separately in handicaps so what hope do they have? It'll have its moments and I want an Insane Elbow off the top of a ladder but it will ultimately be a waste of time.

Rusev vs. Bobby Lashley - In an alternate reality these two get 10-15 minutes to have a gloriously hard hitting match. In this one, sadly, they'll have an overbooked shiter in front of a largely dead crowd (unless they get going for Rusev) and Lashley's probably going to incorrectly be given the win. A waste of both of their time.

Fridge Raiders vs. TBD - Who knows. get mullered by AOP maybe? I'd love to see that feud but not just as an excuse to move the titles to AOP immediately because they're in a big storyline now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is as Funhouse Bray and it isn't for the title so utterly meaningless.

I'm guessing Bray gets squashed, Fiend change happens and it sets up a title match next go round.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only match that actually excites me is Buddy Murphy v Aleister Black.
    I didn't know who either of them are but this Black fella has got to be hurting. Jesus.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cena is getting all the marks worked up by posting that he needs to keep the streak (wrestling on at least 1 PPV a year since 2002) going and TLC is the last PPV this year.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has not wrestled at all this year then?

It's all a bit meh but the best season is en route. Royal Rumble, baby!

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's never Rusev?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    He has not wrestled at all this year then?

It's all a bit meh but the best season is en route. Royal Rumble, baby!
    He's made a few appearances and I think he's had a match on RAW/SD but he hasn't wrestled at a PPV this year. Was scheduled to be in the Rumble at the start of the year but he was filming so withdrew to 'injury'.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daniel Bryan looks at least 10 years younger with a trim and shave, a lesson for all the scruffs out there.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That main event seemed sloppy as fuck (happy with the result though) and there was a lot of meh going on in general but I did really enjoy Black and Murphy, as expected.

Also lolled at it taking about 12 people for Jezza to beat Reigns.

It is as Funhouse Bray and it isn't for the title so utterly meaningless.

I'm guessing Bray gets squashed, Fiend change happens and it sets up a title match next go round.
    Well, we both got that wrong.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually what the show really needed was Lawler talking about KFC more. I think that's where it fell down.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else catch his reference to Asuka and her partner? Kabuki Warrior one or two or words that that effect. Racist fuck.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since they brought Lawler back Joseph and Madden (now Joe) largely ignore him. He was making jokes about Aleister Black's tattoos and they were paying him no heed at all. Like a drunk uncle everybody just tolerates because you can't really kick him out of the house.

Joseph and Tonga Jeff are a decent combo even if Joseph sounds like Mini Maggle.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the results after not following all month. TLC is an odd name for a house show.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an Observer sub when it was on offer for £3 to see what it's like. The radio shows are probably worth it but the newsletter itself must be an acquired taste. It reads like Meltzers stream of wrestling consciousness, I dread to think what the print version is like.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen / heard a couple of clips and he comes across exactly how you'd expect a guy who worked obsessively hard on a wrestling newsletter in his youth would.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Dave. I think he gets a bad rep for just being honest. I’m sorry but not every WWE match should get five (six...) stars. That said I’ve only listened to the odd video from him, no idea what the newsletter would be like.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a lot of their output and the more you read/hear the sillier it makes his critics look. But by god does the man need an editor.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who, that isn't a swivel-eyed loon, honestly gives a shit about his ratings for WWE matches and how biased he is or is not? I think he probably underrates the average WWE main roster match by a small amount and overrates some NXT stuff a little but his tastes are clearly just different to mine. I don't auto-fellate when a Japanese man tries to shatter his own neck, for example. And even the NXT ones he adores tend to be different to my favourites because he clearly likes something a bit more indieriffic.

I'm not sure who you're arguing against that "not every WWE match should get five stars" because it's patently not anybody on here or who can walk and breathe at the same time. What debased corners of the IWC are you exposing yourself to?

Also in looking at matches he has given five stars to I might have to seek out Walter vs ZSJ in PWG a couple of years ago. PWG isn't always my bag but I like both of them a lot.

Back on Dave as an individual, I've never listened to him and Alvarez properly, only clips of him in interviews and his Stone Cold Podcast appearance and I just find him a bit odd.
    Last edited by Ian; 16-12-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just seems that the man is hated for not giving every match (which is an exaggeration, it’s probably more like one match per PPV) 5 stars. There are some obvious ones that should have got it, Taker vs HBK springs to mind, but I just find it incredible when grown adults get so angry that he gave something average 4 stars. I don’t watch any NJPW and never have so I can’t comment on if he over rated it, but if he does, who cares?

It’s also like because people disagree with his ratings they go out of their way to discredit his “scoops” and make themselves look like even bigger idiots because he’s usually right.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that it's his thing now and it would be foolish to change it but I'd go the RPS route with their game reviews and not give stuff a number or a grade at the end. Because honestly why would you bother?

I tend to use Csonka's reviews on 411Mania and Brian Zane who I like for different reasons but in both cases I pay very little attention to the number they're giving.

I don't imagine the anti-Dave angries will enjoy whatever he's going to give last night's matches because it really wasn't very good.

Apparently Kairi Sane picked up a concussion and possibly quite early in the main event, which is possibly why she was struggling to throw some chairs into the ring... that whole bit of the match was veeeeery strange.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webly hit the nail on the head when he described him as exactly the sort of person you would expect to have been running an exhaustive wrestling newsletter out of his garage for forty years.

He goes to no effort (not that I'm saying he should) to explain a couple of things that lead to a lot of people who aren't subscribers giving him grief. His rating system has no ceiling and never has, people expect a rating system that never went above 5 to top out at 5 and some of them get irate when a match in a promotion they don't watch gets more than that. And his star ratings are based somewhat on personal opinion but more than anything he bases it off the crowd reaction and how well the match goes down in the building (this is where the perceived Japanese bias comes from I think). There's also a decent slice of american fan(boi)s who have only ever watched WWE and think it's the only way to do wrestling, they get rather irate when someone says the highest quality matches/booking take place elsewhere.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangely, I never watched Zane during my actual watching WWE years and even when I only watched PPVs and used recaps for the weekly shows I rarely touched his stuff, but now that I’m done completely, I find him the only bearable way to know what’s going on.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bit about it being partly based on how it goes down live is interesting.

I know even just from what little I've seen (and even a couple of WWE Network events in Japan) that Japanese crowds react differently. Would you say from what you've seen they're less fickle?

Because dead crowds really take me out of it as well and ever since I got back into watching WWE a few years ago I find that some crowds just sound impossible to please. Using last night as an example, even in the first few matches when the action was solid they really didn't seem up for even trying to get into it, which if I'd spent whatever they have going I'd at least be showing some willing before the show actually went to shit. Black and Murphy got more out of them as it went along (and they popped for the Black Mass) but that was about it. And what show was it recently..... might have been the Raw the week before last (I think) that was actually a pretty good show and the crowd just didn't respond to aaaaaanything.

I get that you should / might go into a WWE live show with a due sense of trepidation at what quality you're about to get but if you're not going along even planning to try and give it a fair shake then don't bother going at all.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Strangely, I never watched Zane during my actual watching WWE years and even when I only watched PPVs and used recaps for the weekly shows I rarely touched his stuff, but now that I’m done completely, I find him the only bearable way to know what’s going on.
    Yeah I really like him. Clearly trying to be positive but not to the point of being blind to their flaws and is pretty level-headed.

I tried to watch some Cultaholic but couldn't really get into it. Their "pitches" ones are okay but I largely find their presenters a bit annoying. A shame Blampied had to go and be a dickhead because his How WWE Should / Should Have Booked videos were great. The muscly fella on Cultaholic tried to do one and it was a bit crap. Haven't even checked if he's done more since.