User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Harold be unbanned?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • #JFTHarold

11 57.89%
  • Balls to Harold

8 42.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unban Harold

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unban Harold

You horrible bastards. I'm bored enough as it is.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't take it any more. It was making reading this place depressing. Admins can do as they wish.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did he do?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banned for expressing free speech in the free speech thread, ironically.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did he get banned for?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got told to stop being annoying in literally every thread yet continued.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    What did he get banned for?
    Debating with facts, I think. Being annoying = answering the points people put to me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lifted the ban.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fine, I'm going to watch The Apprentice and then a film, anyway. I will be back to answer people who put things to me tomorrow, if that's still allowed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for justice. Loads of people on here annoy me with their debating, can't ban someone for that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he should be banned for being an idiot (PRECEDENT and that), but balls to him nonetheless.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QE I'm back View Post
    It's fine, I'm going to watch The Apprentice and then a film, anyway. I will be back to answer people who put things to me tomorrow, if that's still allowed.
    'Thanks' would have done.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did the right thing.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck you, Yev.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's an ignore feature, there's the answer if needs be. I like some stuff he posts, not others. Like most really.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you guys ban Saint for a similar reason? Why is it suddenly not cool to ban someone for making this place awful?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to get Mert back to be honest. He's clearly not cut out for law school, and we're missing his take on the height of Republican insanity.

An ignore feature would be the answer, yes. G'wan SvN.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saint's ban was a crime; Harry is and was miles worse.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Fuck you, Yev.
    He's obviously a major irritant to (some) people, but as I've always said, just don't engage him if he's that irritating.

I've had a three post exchange rule with Hazza for years now and it works a treat.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a question of not engaging him, it's that he ruins threads left and right. If everyone ignored him it might work but until Lewis gets a job I don't think that's going to happen.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    We need to get Mert back to be honest. He's clearly not cut out for law school, and we're missing his take on the height of Republican insanity.

An ignore feature would be the answer, yes. G'wan SvN.
    http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/profil...st=ignore&u=71

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Didn't you guys ban Saint for a similar reason? Why is it suddenly not cool to ban someone for making this place awful?
    Saint was banned because his English was useless, or if it wasn't for that reason, it should have been.

He's fine now, so he can post.

And if we routinely banned people we found irritating this board would become an hideous mutual masturbation session, come Lord of the Flies shitfest.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you don't engage him, someone else (Toby and Lewis) always does and then a thread just turns to shit. Or even if you try to engage with him in a reasonable manner so as not have it turn into one of the usual shitfests, he responds like an arse and it heads that way anyway.

He's being shitting his pants all over the place the last few days. He needs some time to cool off like a badly-behaved child.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hero*.

*For showing me something I could've found on my own but still.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    It's not a question of not engaging him, it's that he ruins threads left and right. If everyone ignored him it might work but until Lewis gets a job I don't think that's going to happen.
    Because people engage him with the same shit. Over and over again.

Lewis has been just as bad for 'ruining threads' recently with the endless and futile attempt to persuade him of, well, something, but I don't see anyone calling for him to be banned. Quite rightly not too.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ital, the most learned man on this forum, constantly engages him. If we cant trust Lil Newton with these things I dont think we can trust anyone. I want to talk about cool things with sick people on this awesome forum without every thread turning into "Debate Issues with a Fucking Spastic"

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You people don't get it. Fuck off.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you don't engage him, someone else (Toby and Lewis) always does and then a thread just turns to shit. Or even if you try to engage with him in a reasonable manner so as not have it turn into one of the usual shitfests, he responds like an arse and it heads that way anyway.

He's being shitting his pants all over the place the last few days. He needs some time to cool off like a badly-behaved child.
    Yeah, Toby and Lewis are dreadful for turning thread discussions with Harold into some of the worst pages ever committed to the net. Why don't we ban them too while we're at it?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how long it would take for him to get bored of the place if we all just ignored him. I'm willing to contribute to this cause.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of Coventry but I genuinely couldn't be bothered/didn't want to destroy the forum again to install another plug-in.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ital, the most learned man on this forum, constantly engages him. If we cant trust Lil Newton with these things I dont think we can trust anyone. I want to talk about cool things with sick people on this awesome forum without every thread turning into "Debate Issues with a Fucking Spastic"
    And Ital should really know better too.

One shouldn't regret things in life as most of us will get the chance to do a lot of good stuff, which sort of cancels out the bad, but when Ital's on his death bed I'm pretty sure of all the things he thinks about, one of them will be "did I really spend 15 years (and counting) pointlessly arguing with someone I don't respect and find intellectually inferior to me?"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of interest, who are the mods here? And is there nothing that differentiates them from a normal poster?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if we routinely banned people we found irritating this board would become an hideous mutual masturbation session, come Lord of the Flies shitfest.
    This. It would be dead in weeks and end up as a Jimmy and Ital PM conversation.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm arguing with Harold, it's generally on a topic where I think it's important that people reading see the other side - you know you're never going to change his mind, but it's important that the other side be there. For example, I feel very strongly about encouraging opportunities for females in mathematics, but in the politics or immigration threads, I've been ignoring him. I've actually gotten in very few arguments with him here, because he's mostly easy enough to ignore.

But that's the thing. On every topic, there's going to be someone passionate. And Harold just keeps picking away until someone engages with him. Like the immigration thread, which we're all largely ignoring and letting him yell at clouds. It's still gone on for, what, half a dozen pages? And if you're trying to have a discussion in a thread, he'll agitate and agitate on the topic until eventually that's all that's left once everyone gets bored.

It'd be fine if it were just a couple of threads. But since the new board, it's basically everywhere.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Out of interest, who are the mods here? And is there nothing that differentiates them from a normal poster?
    The exact same people they were on the last place.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Toby and Lewis are dreadful for turning thread discussions with Harold into some of the worst pages ever committed to the net. Why don't we ban them too while we're at it?
    I did actually tell Toby that I hoped both him and Harold got banned yesterday.

But they're usually capable of interesting discussions elsewhere and don't immediately shit their pants at you if you question them on something. Harold's persecution complex coupled with his not being all that intelligent is awful.

Here's an idea though - a Harold sub-forum. He doesn't have to be banned but can only post in there. Lewis or Toby whoever can go in there and argue with him all they want but those arguments don't have to ruin other perfectly good threads in the main forum. Everybody wins.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an idea though - a Harold sub-forum. He doesn't have to be banned but can only post in there. Lewis or Toby whoever can go in there and argue with him all they want but those arguments don't have to ruin other perfectly good threads in the main forum. Everybody wins.

We could call it "The Zoo".

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a short-lived Harold sub-forum ('Harold Has Dominion') on the Old Board. Fry made it for him. I suppose that would have made it about 2007, since Wedge donned him into retirement not long after. Whatever. The point is that it wouldn't work.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they're usually capable of interesting discussions elsewhere and don't immediately shit their pants at you if you question them on something. Harold's persecution complex coupled with his not being all that intelligent is awful.

Have a [HAROLD] tag on threads here like [FOOTBALL] on The Dugout.

Or just a little icon of a head in a burka.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post

Although the idea of anyone fultoning Harold is a reach, I'll admit.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ital bro I wanna talk about women in math. There's a really hot blonde chick in my matrix theory class and i think i'm going to introduce myself to her by telling her that she represents the paragon of what we all fight for in gender equality debates. from there she will either walk quickly away or become my wife, we'll see which path we forge

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I wonder how long it would take for him to get bored of the place if we all just ignored him. I'm willing to contribute to this cause.
    Wouldn't work at all. I'd post as usual and if you ignored it I couldn't care less. I don't seek popularity, I say what I feel needs to be said. And I'll be honest, the drama queen reactions of you lot here is making my night.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ital bro I wanna talk about women in math. There's a really hot blonde chick in my matrix theory class and i think i'm going to introduce myself to her by telling her that she represents the paragon of what we all fight for in gender equality debates. from there she will either walk quickly away or become my wife, we'll see which path we forge
    Just tell her that you want to stick your n-dimensional vector into her principal component (or something).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Just tell her that you want to stick your n-dimensional vector into her principal component (or something).
    You'd like to project your maximal eigenvector into her null space until you obtain singular value decomposition.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My persecution complex would be pretty justified, if I had one. Frankly, the truth upsets some people and bans can and do happen as a result. It's an occupational hazard. It's very rarely myself , for example, who will resort to calling people names and the like. And it nearly always seems to be me who is backing up claims I make.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'We' - everyone against Harold but it's just a persecution complex, honest

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd like to project your maximal eigenvector into her null space until you obtain singular value decomposition.
    I was trying to get eigenvector into there somewhere. This is great.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QE Harold Flair View Post
    Wouldn't work at all. I'd post as usual and if you ignored it I couldn't care less. I don't seek popularity, I say what I feel needs to be said. And I'll be honest, the drama queen reactions of you lot here is making my night.
    So why bother? If you're not bothered about interaction (being 'matey' with the others), what do you get out of it? There must be better forums to 'say what needs to be said' if you're treating a board of forty people as a campaigning platform.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still getting my point across. If nobody responds to a particular post I don't cry about it all night or anything.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but there must be better places to make that point if you're not actually bothered about the reception. What do you talk to your real life human friends about?