Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 2417

Thread: Football Manager 23

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a 'Golden Generation' come through

My fav has to be this chap with Finishing 17!

Last edited by Mike; 02-03-2024 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitchin Town 2031/32 Season Update:

League:

We should be doing better than this but we keep hitting massive slumps which completely total our season. I really thought we had an outside shot at the playoffs this season.

Cups:

Completely fucked it.

Squad:

Our defence isn't good enough, Ryan O'Connor is our best player and he plays well a lot of the time but whoever I put next to him isn't good enough. Babatunde and Barnett are absolute stars but we're not going to be able to give them new contracts and Championship Luton are after Babatunde so he might be leaving in the Summer.

Intake:

Our worst intake in a while, these are the only ones that look semi-decent.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the Cape Verde job while managing Belgian boys Lommel. Now have 3 cape verdians joining when they turn 18.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on money bags owners!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a takeover.

He instantly cancelled our affiliate link with Stevenage (friendly game every year where we keep all the cash) and he took out a £100k loan...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I had a takeover.

He instantly cancelled our affiliate link with Stevenage (friendly game every year where we keep all the cash) and he took out a £100k loan...
    They better not cancel my new stadium! It’s 12 months away!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool team coming up just short of City and one of the pundits said you can't win a title shipping 50 goals in a season. Was it tactical issues or are your defenders just a bit crap?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The young defence, while filled with potential, is currently crap. The problem is we’re tiny, so have no money, the wage budget for the season started at £0, meaning we had to sell last seasons keeper and our best defender went to City for big money.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finances in Serie A are perpetually an issue really. Even if you become one of the big teams domestically, it takes so long to be a proper big team.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have our first big sale at Hitchin:

I'm going to miss him but what an offer.

Edit: Got a bidding war going with Reading. QPR ended up going up to £400k with the loan, 50% next sale and friendly which he has accepted.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 04-03-2024 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The League Fixtures

The Champions League fixtures

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portsmouth 2029/30 Midseason Update

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    We slowly fell away from the CL spots, but we did still have a chance at sneaking in if results went our way on the final day, however our loss combined with wins for both Newcastle & Bournemouth meant that we fell to 6th. Whilst it's disappointing to miss out on the final day it's probably a better outcome for us long term as the Europa League is more our level right now & it gives us a chance to keep building the squad before we start really trying to compete against the big boys.
    Having broken into Europe for the first time we approached this season needing to add some depth to our squad, and also hope we'd managed to replace our star striker Arnaud Kalimuendo. As it happens he wasn't the only French superstar we'd end up having to replace...

Transfers:
    Toggle Spoiler

Results:
    Toggle Spoiler

It's definitely one of those seasons where context is important, as it looks like we've regressed with the extra pressure of Europe but I do feel like we're actually holding our level compared to last season & with a few extra games on out schedule there's a good chance we'll start to climb down the closing stretch.

England

Quick update on how 2029 has gone for the national team:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite Darwin Nunez scoring 52 goals last season, I've just signed Haaland for £440m.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is FFP a genuine threat on this if I’m a big team who will likely win prize money?

I’ve basically used instalments to sign Haaland, Musiala, Gvardiol, Arsen Zakharyan and hopefully Gavi using money I don’t have. I presume I won’t actually get on any kind of financial trouble, right?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game does tend to be hardwired to stop you liquidating. You'll get random sponsorship payments or the owner will shove money in from time to time, but you can still rack up the points deductions.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portsmouth 2029/30 Season Review

It's definitely one of those seasons where context is important, as it looks like we've regressed with the extra pressure of Europe but I do feel like we're actually holding our level compared to last season & with a few extra games on out schedule there's a good chance we'll start to climb down the closing stretch.
    Despite entering 2030 on the edge of the European spots I felt pretty good about the squad & had confidence we'd begin to climb over the second half of the season. That confidence was knocked slightly when Everton poached one of my amazing newgens on deadline day, but aside from bringing in a couple of young Asian lads we went with what we had. Was I vindicated, or was my confidence misplaced?

Toggle Spoiler

The Cups:
    Toggle Spoiler

The Squad:
    Toggle Spoiler

We have a big stack of cash at our disposal, and I'm starting to look at making some bigger moves as we have most of the squad sorted already, so there's always a chance we take a big swing, but I'd imagine it'll be a quiet summer as we look to make a final push towards title contention.

Oh, and there's also the World Cup. We'll be beginning our campaign to bring it home in the next couple of weeks, so I'll do a separate update on that fairly soon, but it's definitely going to be the one & only competition I take them to as I'll be resigning once our tournament is over.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a player who is a 4 star RW and a 4 star CB.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that jumping reach he can stay on the wing.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they’re a winger & a centre back then they’re clearly actually a wing back.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Despite Darwin Nunez scoring 52 goals last season, I've just signed Haaland for £440m.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good hustle.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and there's also the World Cup. We'll be beginning our campaign to bring it home in the next couple of weeks, so I'll do a separate update on that fairly soon, but it's definitely going to be the one & only competition I take them to as I'll be resigning once our tournament is over.
    Here we go then. After qualifying in second gear we've been given a group that should force us to start turning things up a few notches, however given we've lost both our previous games against the top tier nations I was definitely not coming in expecting to get my hands on the trophy.

Toggle Spoiler

Pre-season had already started for Portsmouth by the time I returned, but now I can focus in on preparing us for our first ever season in the Champions League, a Super Cup game against PSG & (hopefully) another title challenge.

EDIT: Clearly didn't send word of my international retirement out.
    Last edited by Dan; 10-03-2024 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitchin Town 2032/33 Season Update:

League:

We played really well at times and then absolute shit at others. Harshly done again by the ME as we finished 9th in the xG table and I really thought we could push for a playoff run.

Will be really hard to do as well with no Babatunde next season.

Cups:

That FA Cup run was absolutely massive, just a shame it ended so poorly and I was really hoping for a big Premiership team away to maximise financial gains but we still earned a huge amount. We also had our first ever sell out against Bristol City which was great to see.

Squad:

Our four strikers in Sammon, Hatcher, Lentell and Johnson are really big for us as is our midfield especially Babatunde and Barnett. Sadly our defence (bar Nyadombo who loves getting assists) just doesn't seem to gel.

Here's Babatunde as well:

Sold to QPR for £400k, 50% of next sale, loan for this season and a friendly. The SI forums official rules say I've failed because I got him back on loan but fuck those dweebs, I think it's fine. Going to miss him as he's so fucking good but that price is mental. Money instantly left the bank though as we used all £400k on an upgrade to the training facilities.

Barnett wants to leave as well so I'm hoping I can get a similar deal in the Summer for him.

Youth Intake:

None of them good enough to get senior football this season but I'm excited for Pavett and Everett. Also, we have our first ever Cypriot but I don't know where to fit him in. He can't tackle, mark or pass well enough for CM and he has no finishing ability with no composure.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a slog, Mahow. Not sure I could be arsed.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is and I love it.

The low leagues are my favourite and I love a hard challenge.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the season in Belgium:

Won the league, as expected, mainly due to rinsing a certain bug before it was patched:

Young-Coombes scored 26 in 29. Shame he looks like an absolute rat.

However, it has led to this:

So I'm not sure what will happen. I've a few leagues loaded so might be able to jump ship before it starts to cause problems.
    Last edited by Baz; 11-03-2024 at 04:12 PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hala Madrid, my arse.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portsmouth 2030/31 Midseason Update

We have a big stack of cash at our disposal, and I'm starting to look at making some bigger moves as we have most of the squad sorted already, so there's always a chance we take a big swing, but I'd imagine it'll be a quiet summer as we look to make a final push towards title contention.
    After failing to win the title on the final day last season, we're looking forward to our first ever season in the Champions League & hoping that we can provide a proper challenge for the title this year. We had a lot of money at our disposal, but I'm pretty happy with the squad so it was just a case of making a few additions in the right places.

Transfers:
    Toggle Spoiler

The League:
    Toggle Spoiler

The Cups:
    Toggle Spoiler

I'd say we're on course for another good season, and while I think it might end up being a slight step back from last year on paper, it should still be a season of overachievement compared to our expectations. And who knows, maybe we'll pick up another trophy from somewhere.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Literally 2 games into the new season and my star midfielder (who also spent most of the summer at World Cup) is upset that he isn't starting more games :/

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First season with Notts Co and we stormed League 2, broke pretty much every league record on route. The following season, Fa cup winners and newly promoted from the Championship Leeds coming offering me a job, which I turned down.

Not really sure if I should of took it, but we are now sitting top of League 1 so hopefully will be in the Championship next season
    Last edited by Bam; 17-03-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had interviews with Sporting and Hearts, after my successful first season in Belgium with Lommel. Torn!
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could win in Europe with Sporting. With Hearts it'd likely take a lot longer.

Portugal is around the perfect sweet spot for being able to buy in all the wonderkids, but actually play them in all of the games. Then you can sell to the big teams and also Man City.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Then you can sell to the big teams and also Man City.
    Aww you!

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    You could win in Europe with Sporting. With Hearts it'd likely take a lot longer.

Portugal is around the perfect sweet spot for being able to buy in all the wonderkids, but actually play them in all of the games. Then you can sell to the big teams and also Man City.

They've let me bring Oyvind Leonhardsen with me as a coach, which sealed the deal.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That name is a serious blast from the past. I remember a lad in school asking me what I thought of him. I told him I thought he was a bit shit and the lad got visibly upset. Turned out that was his Uncle.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a player throw a hissy fit because I didn't register him for the last two Champions League group stage games. Only, he's at the AFCON so he wouldn't be available anyway. That's the quality design I'm paying for.

Edit: In another one of the FM classics, I've had a player in my shortlist for about 8 months, he's been out of contract for all that time (which by itself is ridiculous as he's a really good player asking for very little money) and I finally made room in the squad to go for him. The very day I offer him a contract, another two teams do the same. It feels like this game was design in the early 2000s sometimes, which is probably quite a bit true.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 17-03-2024 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally caved and got this. Two questions:

1. What skin is best?

2. This original/real world shit is confusing. Previously I could set the game start to "start of Swedish season 23/24" which is in February 2024, and all other leagues would be simulated up until that point, and you could jump in mid season in other leagues. If I do that now the leagues except for Sweden are completely null and you have to wait until summer 2024 for things to start. Is the "simulating leagues in parallel" just gone with the addition of original/real world/your world? Edit: Scratch that, it was because I set it to start Feb 2023.
    Last edited by Bernanke; 18-03-2024 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like FM Rensie for skin
    https://coffeehousefm.com/rensieskin

The other bit I dunno without loading it, sorry.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the second point, can't say I've been in that situation before, but it sounds like some sort of bug. One kind of work around I could think of would be to add an additional league that starts in the summer and holiday all the way to February 2024, but that's still a bit shitty I guess.

Continuing on with my complaints:

6 games in 1.5 weeks. How is that still a thing after all these years?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for FM Rensie skin but edit the XML files to get rid of the coffee cup logo and annoying link to his website. (I can share my edit if you want, it replaces his logo with the club badge if whoever you’re on, and no clickable link)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds ace, please share it. I got the full skin already.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love that IF they left-aligned the names in the title bars. Hate the centre alignment.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTCS Gold skin for me.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    +1 for FM Rensie skin but edit the XML files to get rid of the coffee cup logo and annoying link to his website. (I can share my edit if you want, it replaces his logo with the club badge if whoever you’re on, and no clickable link)
    I also use the edit he (Rensie, not Baz)includes to use background pictures, as it looks better I think.
    Last edited by Mike; 18-03-2024 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Sounds ace, please share it. I got the full skin already.
    https://akr.st/rensie24
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in a fairly similar spot to last season, albeit with less games in hand to be able to reel in the teams above us. I think a title challenge is out of the question this year, but we definitely still have a good shot at getting back into the Champions League for next season, which would be a good result for us.
    Portsmouth 2030/31 End of Season Review

After finding ourselves in the middle of the pack midway through last season we managed to climb the table & narrowly missed out on an upset title win. This year we've found ourselves in the middle of the pack midway through, but could we go one better that last season?

The League
    Toggle Spoiler

Domestic Cups
    Toggle Spoiler

Champions League
    Toggle Spoiler

The Squad
    Toggle Spoiler

The results on the pitch weren't the biggest story of the season, however, as it's finally been confirmed that we will be starting work on a new stadium, which will see us sell Fratton Park We have a couple of years left before we move, though, so hopefully we can find a way to say goodbye with a trophy or two.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just accidently started my 3rd choice goalkeeper as right back. Fulham beat us 3-2. 6.4 rating.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then when you've gone through all your subs and your keeper gets injured with 5 mins to go, you have the answer. Perfect plan.