1 10.00%

Thread: Do you feel old?

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you feel old?

We've all been here long enough and I'd wager a good portion of us now well into our 30's which is still young, or at least an age I thought to be.

But....

I don't know if it's just me, my life, my thought, my recent experiences but whilst I don't 'feel' old, I don't 'look' old, I can't shake the thought that I actually am old.

Examples perhaps. I made reference to last lass I was seeing and the age gap between us a while ago, that was one of the first times I thought about my own age seriously.

Example 2. If I was talking to my niece or nephews or whatever, just seems to be a different generation. I mean, I legit got hammered by a 9 year old kid on Fifa.

Example 3. Body wear and tear. Nothing major but I've been nursing an inflamed tendon now for longer than I would have liked. Knee brace, pain killers and deep heat are every bit a part of my daily routine as breakfast, lunch and tea. I'm fit-ish but truthfully? If I don't have a powernap during the day, I'm wiped out.

Example 4. I was recently asked what year I left school followed by "so you were 18 in 2003." I thought nothing of it until they then added, just like Facebook, I wasn't even around then. I fell right into it obviously and more fool me perhaps going a little too hard on the young chef I'm trying to train but it still cut me quite sharp.

So, erm, is it just me or do you feel old too? If so, do you remember at what point?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I associate not being old (albeit not necessarily being young, if that makes sense) with fewer responsibilities. Actually, more like less accountability.

And most of the mental state of feeling old depends on the people around you. Seeing people less, “going out” less, rarely doing dumb fun stuff on a whim, rather than having to schedule everything weeks/months in advance; and, you know - actually enjoying your life.

There was no ‘gee I’m old now’ epiphany, and it didn’t even coincide with getting married or having kids, it just sort of gradually happened as my life changed from multiple weekday day seshes a month to, well, going out like 4 times a year if I’m lucky. This has also turned me into a hardened drinker who could drink for hours and still be fine, into an ultimate ridiculous lightweight.

Being old is boring, but it’s better than being a loser.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of old, happy birthday @Mike
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't most of the time, but occasionally things happen that do make me feel old. I mentioned the other day that I met a tenant that was born in 2004.

People should not be adults when they were born when I was already an adult. Don't take the piss love.

I will be evicting her ASAP.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turned 40 recently and my back has been fucked for like a week now. So a bit, yeah

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally (34 this month) I feel quite young, which is probably, as Baz alludes to, because I don't have kids or anything like that. Also although I'm a bit overweight I have never had a meaningful injury, and am always out and about and active, so I don't yet feel old in that sense.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill Hick died at my age and he still looks about 20 years older than me on any footage so that keeps me positive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve started noticing grey hairs in my beard which is a bit concerning.

Other than that I generally don’t feel old - I still do (most) of the things I did when I was in my mid 20s, I’ve clung onto that aspect of my life.

I do get frustrated that my friends have the issues baz described above about free time planning (and often actually cancelling plans later on).

The worst part for me is that whilst I don’t feel particularly old, I do wonder whether others do. Am I that old creepy guy in the gym? I live in a block of flats that a lot of are rented out to students (which was my original plan) and realising the girls across the hall were having a 20th birthday party when they asked me not to phone the police if it was loud ( ) was another nail.

I don’t feel old, but I definitely am relative to those around me.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah. I'll probably only start feeling old when the body starts to fail me. The passage of time I'm all too aware of, now. I was watching some camcorder footage of TWA's last day of operation (a surprisingly decent watch - a passenger tries to ruin the day by complaining) and 2001 looks positively ancient to me.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started to feel old the last few years, probably due to the arrival of kids. The main thing is that there's absolutely zero spontaneity about life anymore, mostly because I have a 2 month old. But even something as simple as playing golf needs "booking in".

I also fucked my back playing squash (another old man sport) so right now I'm basically crippled, which doesn't help.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do but I'm very comfortable with it. I can't be doing with loud noises, hangovers, being out too late and all that so I'm now the age I've always felt.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my reminder of not being as young as I was, is when I think of my age when I play football and all the twenty year olds are running around like whippets. I don't feel that old and tbh was pretty over the going out getting smashed stage anyway.