User Tag List

Thread: Songs you like by artists you don't like

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Songs you like by artists you don't like

Shit idea for a thread probably, and I'm not convinced I haven't posted it before but #moorfreds

I don't care for the Foo Fighters, but I really like their single Big Me. Okay, you next.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banger. Everything they made after this washed right over.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Bet You Look Good etc. - Arctic Monkeys. The bass riff for this that underlays the more prominent guitars is an absolute banger, and the general youthful energy that drives the song is spectacular. Otherwise I find pretty much all the rest of their stuff (including on the same album) to be a load of twiddly northern shite.

Bedshaped - Keane. As the years go by I think I've decided the album version is a bit misproduced in the studio, but the potential of the song itself is incredible, in terms of melody, theme and actually lyrics ('legs of stone' always scans really well). I would like to hear someone not in 2005/whenever, and with a less airy voice, get to grips with this with a guitar and less production and do a pain-filled cover. Every other Keane song I've ever heard is bland crap.

I was going to say Coldplay as well but in reality I probably like too many of their songs to qualify as disliking them, even though I abhor everything they stand for.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was really into indie NME stuff I'd regularly get annoyed when bands released massively overproduced versions of stuff I'd enjoyed demos of. I remember being quite excited about Bombay Bicycle Club's first album because I liked this and scrunching my face up when they eventually released it in this form. Still the same song, just worse.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gubbed by Modern Culture

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    When I was really into indie NME stuff I'd regularly get annoyed when bands released massively overproduced versions of stuff I'd enjoyed demos of. I remember being quite excited about Bombay Bicycle Club's first album because I liked this and scrunching my face up when they eventually released it in this form. Still the same song, just worse.
    This was another one. It's a bit of a mess and pretty awkward but it's charming in that way and has great timing. The studio version where they tried to doll it up is just awful.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post

I know...
    So good.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radiohead - Just
    U2 - Running to Stand Still
    I tried to think of a Muse song too but they're completely terrible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    This was another one. It's a bit of a mess and pretty awkward but it's charming in that way and has great timing. The studio version where they tried to doll it up is just awful.
    Wow, that’s really got me feeling nostalgic for my old iTunes collection.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I tried to think of a Muse song too but they're completely terrible.
    Plug In Baby? That's the one that really hits me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Wow, that’s really got me feeling nostalgic for my old iTunes collection.
    Me too, probably the first time I've heard that song in the best part of a decade. I've been meaning to do a thread on musical nostalgia actually.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Plug In Baby? That's the one that really hits me.
    It's ok until he opens his mouth, but not good enough to redeem that like Just is.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I Bet You Look Good etc. - Arctic Monkeys. The bass riff for this that underlays the more prominent guitars is an absolute banger, and the general youthful energy that drives the song is spectacular. Otherwise I find pretty much all the rest of their stuff (including on the same album) to be a load of twiddly northern shite.
    Agree with this.

I don't think anybody's said anything shit enough so far, and while I don't have "guilty pleasures" because I'm not a teenager here's an outlier of my musical tastes:

I dunno whether we have any pop-nerds on here who would clarify if this is or is not a "good pop song" but I'll forgive a lot for a catchy chorus.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chavvy blonde one really carried them, didn't she.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was she the one that turned out to be a racist on Big Brother?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would appear so.

In April and May 2021, O'Meara released unplugged renditions of "Don't Stop Movin'" and "Relentless," respectively. Her second album, With Love, was released on 27 August 2021 on cassette and CD but was a commercial disaster and did not chart.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah U2 is one for me as well @Giggles but my one is new years day, great single that. Oh, I do really like sweetest thing as well for some reason. Don't really agree with the concept of guilty pleasures but that's pretty close to one.

I actually think Keane are really underrated in a Travis way (over exposed wimpy indie band that got massive for some reason that , looking back years later, weren't anywhere near as shit as the understandable backlash would imply. It's sort of how I think Shawshank redemption is simultaneously a massively underrated and overrated film).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elvis does nothing for me but You Were Always on my Mind is really good.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Yeah U2 is one for me as well @Giggles but my one is new years day, great single that. Oh, I do really like sweetest thing as well for some reason. Don't really agree with the concept of guilty pleasures but that's pretty close to one.

I actually think Keane are really underrated in a Travis way (over exposed wimpy indie band that got massive for some reason that , looking back years later, weren't anywhere near as shit as the understandable backlash would imply. It's sort of how I think Shawshank redemption is simultaneously a massively underrated and overrated film).
    I'm in the 'Travis were perfectly fine' camp as well. Slightly of their time - which was also a bit earlier than people think it was - but fine.

I was going to rile you by posting 'Being Boring' for the pet shop boys, but I think that is stretching the definition of dislike. Also the video starts with a naked man, so yeah.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you include the pet shop boys version in that I agree.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the 'Travis were perfectly fine' camp as well. Slightly of their time - which was also a bit earlier than people think it was - but fine.

I was going to rile you by posting 'Being Boring' for the pet shop boys, but I think that is stretching the definition of dislike.
    Aye but being completely honest I would probably hate them if I was like 16 when the man who came out. It's like how my mum has an allergic aversion to any lame early-mid 80s pop megastars whereas I can love Duran Duran with impunity.

EDIT: on the pet shop boys front I'm just gonna assume you forgot what have I done to deserve this, aka top 10 contender for best pop song of all time
    Last edited by igor_balis; 19-11-2021 at 10:09 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you include the pet shop boys version in that I agree.
    I do, actually. They'd be in this thread on their own merits if it wasn't for West End Girls.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elvis was shit (as is George cunting Ezra who is Elvis' Michael Buble), but he had great songs. He's one of a select few that is regularly outdone by cover versions.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: on the pet shop boys front I'm just gonna assume you forgot what have I done to deserve this, aka top 10 contender for best pop song of all time
    Nice synth line in the bridge bits, otherwise just more forgettable late 80s synth pap I don't know the words to and have probably danced very awkwardly to in my more desperate moments at the Clapham Grand circa 2007 while my shoes stuck to the floor and I wished I wasn't there.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't quite get what my dad sees in him. Maybe it's as simple as a white face for black music.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's A Sin by the Pet Shop Boys is also a banger

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice synth line in the bridge bits, otherwise just more forgettable late 80s synth pap I don't know the words to and have probably danced very awkwardly to in my more desperate moments at the Clapham Grand circa 2007 while my shoes stuck to the floor and I wished I wasn't there.
    It hits me the exact same way Biology by Girls Aloud does. On the surface it's a fairly unremarkable pop single, but after a few listens you notice that there's actually a lot of weird shit going on. Beguiling, ennit. To quote from wikipedia:

"Classic Pop noted the song's somewhat peculiar structure reflects the way it was composed: "Lowe wrote the riff and the music for the 'I bought you drinks, I bought you flowers' section; Tennant came up with the verse; and Willis wrote the 'Since you went away' part."[9] Tennant wrote the majority of the lyrics while on the bus home from his job at Smash Hits", which sounds about right.

edit: I also think bringing back a late-40s dusty springfield to do guest vocals in 1987 is just the absolute PERFECT casting
    Last edited by igor_balis; 19-11-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title. EARL by Earl Sweatshirt:

Probably first watched that video over 10 years ago now and was blown away by the song. Thankfully the hype around it got me waaaay into Odd Future but it was (and still is, very much so) Tyler The Creator who hit the spot with me. Earl Sweatshirt was definitely a one hit wonder for me. Seems like a right bum now too. First time I've listened to EARL in a long time. Still awesome. I love the intro so much I even copied it for Doing Stuff A Bit.

And

I absolutely love this song. I could listen to it on repeat all day and be absolutely buzzing for the entirety. But ehhh I just don't get Death Grips, I don't think. I like the ethos and some of the stuff they've done online, but the music? Nah.

Also
    212 by Azealia Banks. I was word for word for a while, and it's a great song. But she's a proper mong.
    There Must Be An Angel Playing With My Heart by Eurythmics. lol
    Beast Mode by B.o.B. Thankfully he did it when I saw him live. I went ape.
    We Belong Together by Mariah Carey, preferably the Jadakiss remix.
    Pretty Ballerina by The Left Banke. Tried to get into them but just kept gravitating back to that one song.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    There Must Be An Angel Playing With My Heart by Eurythmics. lol
    yep i'm with you 100% on this one, lolz

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged