User Tag List

Thread: Church

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Church

I’ve been going to church recently and I don’t like it. Does anyone here go?

It is the least welcoming place for newcomers I can think of. Like your first time at a football match there are usually signs, your tickets got your seat number on and you can definitely ask a fellow fan what to do without fearing ridicule.

Imagine if you went to the cinema now, for the first time ever, and had no clue what to do. You could ask someone and they’d basically guide you all the way until you was sat down to watch the film.

Church, during a global pandemic? No talking, straight in, sanitise your hands, find a seat, shush. One time we all got told off because too many people were talking the previous week and, y’know, Covid. WE MUST SIT IN COMPLETE SILENCE (EXCEPT TO PRAY) IF WE WISH TO REMAIN OPEN. Stop talking then, dickhead. And can’t we just pray silently? It’s not like God won’t hear us if we don’t randomly exclaim gratitude towards him.

Like the blokes at the front say something and then the crowd collectively say something and it’s in the most dreary voice ever. That’s something that’s always annoyed me actually - Howcome when people read something aloud as a group, they read is so goddamn slow? In church it’s even worse cos if you don’t know what it is they’re saying, there’s no fucking way you can figure it out, cos they’re all drearing each other out, slowly murmuring their brainwashy Borg-like chant. So I don’t join in at all, firstly cos it’s weird but secondly because I couldn’t even if I wanted to cos I’ve no idea what to say or when it’s coming. Bloke at the front talks about dew fall (at first I thought it was a holocaust reference) and then the crowd gurgle back “and under his eye” or something and I’m just sat there like what?

Yeah there’s two blokes at the front. One is a little bitch. Like all he does is pass the main guy stuff, and actually stands and holds this massive book while the other reads it. Proper T-Bag and Tweener vibes. Plus T-Bag wears this fancy cloak while Tweener the bitch is dressed like a baker.

The book he holds up - presumably the bible, but hey who knows - is also the tackiest looking thing imaginable. Picture what Chantelle Houghton might keep her hen party photos in. Towards the end, the main bloke holds up Chantelle’s photo album like he’s actually proud to own it. Then reads some passage but I’ve usually completely switched off by this point. Today instead is listening to him I noticed a banner had been taken down. It was one of the few things I actually liked about church, and it’s gone. It was like a big tapestry thing, hanging on one of the pillars, but inexplicably the picture on it was a hand doing gun fingers. Usually by the time the crowd is being regaled with stories of Chantelle’s stretch limo and butler in the buff adventures, presumably, I’m encouraging my daughter to do the Run The Jewels hand thing. Not this week!

There’s also a bit before it where usually a woman from the crowd goes to the front and reads a story about the bible, but I swear it has no meaningful plot. I can’t remember any past ones but today a man got up instead. Now this man looked and spoke like if Ringo Starr had special needs and was profoundly overweight. His story today was about how someone called Elijah basically bullied a woman to cook his tea. Cheers Ringo, mate, appreciated that.

Another thing I don’t like is the continual use of the phrase “forever and ever.” Forever will do, lads. Considering we’re meant to talk as little as possible, why are you doing that? Forever. Done. Onto the hen do snaps.

I did notice a box that’s on the way into the church that says ‘petitions’ so I reckon I can encourage them to drop the “and ever” from their prayers, and maybe get them to speak a bit faster and maybe fucking tell us what to say and when to say it. There also a pot on the way out for donations so I’ve been dropping in as little as possible every week. This week I got away with 5p but one week the smallest I had was 50p. That went straight in Tweener’s pocket when he was ordered to empty the donations, I reckon.

Today was the worst visit yet though. So normally there’s this part where everyone slowly (everything in church is done slowly, not just the talking) queues up to go to the front and apparently be “blessed” by the main man, while his bitch watches on. Honestly I bet the assistant bloke goes home and boasts about how well attended his service was and how well he did, but won’t let his family come and see him just hold books and meekly roam about in the background like an unwanted stepson.

Anyway, before the queue forms, the man at the front holds up a poppadom like it’s Simba and everyone stares at it for like 10 seconds, not even exaggerating. Then he snaps it perfectly in half somehow, before breaking it into the smaller bits and then we get to watch him eat a bit and take a drink out of a fancy goblet. He even does that “cheers boys” glass tip as if to rub it in that he’s got free booze and we don’t. Then the people at the front know to start queueing.

First time I went, when I didn’t realise talking wasn’t allowed, I asked my wife what was going on and she said when I get to the front, cross my arms across my chest and then I’ll be blessed and can go back to my seat. We always sit at the back so it gave me plenty chance to watch other people do it. Only the kids crossed their arms like that though. The adults did that lame thing substitutes do where they touch their forehead, chest and both shoulders as if it make a cross. Weird, I’ve never understood it. People seem to do it sporadically, completely at random, throughout the whole curds visit. (Some people also curtsy before sitting down. Again, what are you doing? I don’t do either of these things.) But I did as I was told. Queued up, got to the front, cross my arms across me, channeling my inner Arnautovic, and then walk off. Piece of piss. I was getting pretty good at it. But today, something happened.

I no longer pay attention to anyone else while queueing cos I know what to do. I bet newcomers watch me cos I look so confident and copy what I do. I’m the best adult arm crosser there is, easily. So in the queue I spend most of my time making sure my daughter doesn’t get too distracted and forgot to walk forward, or doesn’t accidentally walk into the person in front. We get to the front, and somethings different. My confidence is gone. I’m floundering. T-Bag is giving out pogs.

My daughters a mini Arnautovic too, got the arm crossing nailed on. She usually has them crossed for the entire queuing process, showing off to all the other kids. So she goes first, only today instead of just being “blessed” (waved at) the bloke leans down to her and says “say amen.” She just turns around and looks at me like but I’m too busy looking at his silver bowl of white pogs to even take her on. He starts saying it again but she just walks off, arms still crossed and is off back to her seat on the benches.

Next thing, geezer’s handing me a pog. It’s not a pog, it’s like a little polystyrene disc. I say “thanks,” completely confused, and walk off, slipping it into my coat pocket as I go. I sit back down and not long after my wife arrives back and I just stare at her, lots of questions going through my head, but I’m NOT ALLOWED TO SPEAK.

Eventually when we get back outside she’s like “what’s the matter with you?” and I hold out my loot. WHY HAVE YOU GOT THAT? YOU CANT TAKE COMMUNION! WHY DIDNT YOU CROSS YOURSELF? Oh balls I forgot to even do that. Turns out this thing is bread (not a chance) but I’ve been told it tastes like a flying saucer sweet without the sherbet. Lovely. Everyone else was slyly eating it under their mask as soon as they were given it, but you’re only allowed to eat it if a) you’ve been baptised (I was christened, come at me) and b) you’ve recently been to confession. Nope!

So I’ve got this:

Toggle Spoiler

Might as well give it a go, right?

AMA mates.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus.

Although you being a Catholic (or being forced to be one) does sort of square with the whole 'cherno' thing.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming you're in your 30's here as I reckon most of us are around there. Why have you just started going now?

And if you don't like it, why not just not go again?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I'm assuming you're in your 30's here as I reckon most of us are around there. Why have you just started going now?

And if you don't like it, why not just not go again?
    For kids’ school reasons.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go but I can’t see why any grown adult would be going if they didn’t want to.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasons for attending Catholic mass, in ranked order for a married/child owning person.

1. Forced to do it by spouse.
    2. The local Catholic school is better, as long as you don't mind your kids being taught by uneducated nuns and/or sex offenders.
    3. Midlife realisation that god is actually a small biscuit.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it’s anything like in NI (the only place I know with a mostly even distribution) it’s that more and more people are realising that protestants can’t spell and would prefer their child to be educated. That said, I don’t see the same levels of illiteracy from the English as orange nordies.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Churches are all pointless and shit plus they drag things out far too long.

I get a lot of respect in Greek churches though since I grew my beard out. The head guy at the church who did my Dad's funeral (and all the follow up shit which is a hell of a lot of it in Greek Orthodox) was always showing me the most amount of respect I think because he thought I might have been a man who believes in all the guff.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    For kids’ school reasons.
    Just send the wife on her own with the kids.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather spend the time stapling my bollocks to things. Tables, chairs, moving vehicles. All preferable to fucking church.

Even if I believed in the big fella I don't think I could stomach it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TL;dr

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Just send the wife on her own with the kids.
    If the school is the bollocks they check to see both parents are of sufficient faith apparently. Any future offspring of mine can sink or swim at the local shithole, my school was in special measures with an OFSTED inspector as headmaster when I left and there were as many over achievers as teenage pregnancies/deaths so it evened itself out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    If the school is the bollocks they check to see both parents are of sufficient faith apparently. Any future offspring of mine can sink or swim at the local shithole, my school was in special measures with an OFSTED inspector as headmaster when I left and there were as many over achievers as teenage pregnancies/deaths so it evened itself out.
    As above.

I have a standard job, a standard degree and own a standard house... but that's enough to make me one of the top achievers from my year group.

Fuck going to some preachy bollocks school and having expectations above "don't go to prison" foisted upon you.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently been thinking my CofE primary school may have played a big hand in how much of a don I became. But lol at going to church as an adult unless you're proper having a meltdown.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped going at 14 as soon as my parents said I could skip it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the thickest cunts I know went to the 'best' private school in the area, may aswell have just set the cash on fire. Later in trouble for criminal damage and general noncery.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Rob...atholic_School

Growing up, that was the nearest Roman Catholic place. Footballers, Cricketers and a TV chef.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the thickest cunts I know went to the 'best' private school in the area, may aswell have just set the cash on fire. Later in trouble for criminal damage and general noncery.
    A significant proportion of the people I was at medical school with who went to private school were thick as shit. They'd just clearly been coached for their whole lives in how to retain information for exams. Their actual understanding and reasoning was non-existent

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of time for how the bead rattlers don't let people mess them about and make them jump through hoops to get into what is often the only good school in the town. My Catholic cousin, who went to the good school in Hull because her old man was into it, wanted half a dozen godparents at her kid's christening and the priest just lolled her out of it and said you get the normal number or do it elsewhere.

As for private schools, another of my divvy cousins went to one down here, and his old man readily admits that he would have been better off just investing the money for him to waste once he turned eighteen for all the good it did the daft cunt. If you ask him a question you can see his brain working behind his eyes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    A significant proportion of the people I was at medical school with who went to private school were thick as shit. They'd just clearly been coached for their whole lives in how to retain information for exams. Their actual understanding and reasoning was non-existent
    That's all Private School is though, isn't it? It's a shortcut to success. You get more one on one time with the teacher, which allows them to polish your weak points for the exams. Outside of exams though... uhoh.

Odds on that you'll end up having to polish their weak point at somepoint during that one on one time, but thems the breaks.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't read all that shit, but it is not that hard. Go there and sit. When everyone stands, stand. When everyone sits again, sit. Or just sit all throughout, nobody gives a fuck.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been to one, I would say that the big advantage of private schools is that there are no disruptive scumbags from the dregs of society. The odd dickhead, yeah, but the behavioural floor is far higher, which means that loads more gets learned by everyone all the time.

I think all the other factors (including the sociological ones that always gets wheeled out by opponents of their existence) pale in comparison to that.

The above may be less the case once you get into the 'posh' boarding schools where there are loads of rich thickos who know they can fail upwards, but I didn't go to one of those so I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when Dr Barry said you never earned your A levels? At least you got all the 'contacts' out of it. No need for qualifications with those.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well consider me converted, I now believe in miracles. They’ve somehow made church even worse.

They’ve added singing to the mix. I couldn’t join in because I don’t know the songs and didn’t pick up a book of hymns because, as covered in the opening post, nobody tells you what to do at church.

Also added standing. This is the big one. Sitting down it’s easy to switch off, but when you’ve gotta me standing up, it tends to get on your whazz.

There’s also a bit where you’re encouraged to share blessings and nod at and shake hands with people. Losers, get some mates.

Also about ten minutes longer.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always hated the hand shaking thing. Especially if there’s brats about.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go every couple of weeks on average, teaching in a strong faith school. If you include liturgies then you're talking two or three a week, but not in church.

I've always been welcomed despite not being Catholic, but I've usually got 30 kids in tow and we take quite an active part in the Mass. You've got to factor in that many church goers have been going several times a week for their whole lives, so the routine is second nature to them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for singing and hand shaking, they were removed during Covid, and only the former has returned to my church.

Also, it's the only place where it's still expected to where a mask, though I didn't last time I attended.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents are Catholic, so I grew up on the cafeteria mix of church visits (Easter, Christmas, the odd baptism/wedding/funeral for dessert). I binned Easter and Christmas off by the time I was 16, though, so now I’m just there for events. Don’t go up for communion or anything like that, either.